St James' Park

Delima

I'd love to know if these student accomodation developments have contingency plans for if the bubble is ever to burst on foreign students coming to the UK. Can they be re-purposed into standard housing stock?

Not without significant remodelling inside, I assume.

Guest firetotheworks

That's surrounding the SBR monument. When you think about the 'What is a club?' quote then look at that, it's almost like they're trying to prove him wrong and rub his nose in it. A bit like how there's a McDonald's at Checkpoint Charlie and it's the most vapid, capitalist area in Berlin.

Guest firetotheworks

I'd love to know if these student accomodation developments have contingency plans for if the bubble is ever to burst on foreign students coming to the UK. Can they be re-purposed into standard housing stock?

It's definitely a when rather than an if. The amount of accommodation still far, far exceeds the predicted amount of incoming students, so it'll be sooner rather than later imo. What they'll do with them though, I don't know.

That's surrounding the SBR monument. When you think about the 'What is a club?' quote then look at that, it's almost like they're trying to prove him wrong and rub his nose in it. A bit like how there's a McDonald's at Checkpoint Charlie and it's the most vapid, capitalist area in Berlin.

Yeah, in all honest the SBR memorial should be moved further up next to the strawberry (opposite SJP). This alongside the other building opposite SJP being moved further back for the Metro lines, should mean a fully expanded Gallowgate is still possible.

Guest Howaythetoon

We do student accommodation cleaning and also strip out student accommodation buildings so more the merrier for me...

In all honesty though, almost every new building erected in the City Centre is cheap and doesn't improve the landscape one bit, and all these student and office space... I guarantee many will stand empty in a few years.

The City Centre needs more open spaces to host pop-up events like the Jesterval Festival which people I know organise and help run and not more student accommodation and office space which already dominates.

And this new music venue and conference facilities project to be built between the Baltic and the Sage... it will kill the area of the Toon where the Life Centre is and the gay quarter or whatever its called as that area relies heavily on people making their way from the Arena to that part of Toon for food and drink etc. 

City planners though...

We do student accommodation cleaning and also strip out student accommodation buildings so more the merrier for me...

In all honesty though, almost every new building erected in the City Centre is cheap and doesn't improve the landscape one bit, and all these student and office space... I guarantee many will stand empty in a few years.

The City Centre needs more open spaces to host pop-up events like the Jesterval Festival which people I know organise and help run and not more student accommodation and office space which already dominates.

And this new music venue and conference facilities project to be built between the Baltic and the Sage... it will kill the area of the Toon where the Life Centre is and the gay quarter or whatever its called as that area relies heavily on people making their way from the Arena to that part of Toon for food and drink etc. 

City planners though...

That new arts/conference centre is in Gateshead and will have been signed off by Gateshead Council, not NCC. Of course they'd want investment on their side of the river...

Guest firetotheworks

I think the new venue will be great tbh, but I can understand the point about the pubs around Life. There's still plenty of people in and around that area though, I would have thought, it's right next to central station.

Digital is popular with plenty of the younger generations, and the gay scene is obviously popular with the LBGT community. I don't think many of the bars round there get much passing trade from the Metro radio arena.

If the Gateshead arena does go ahead (I have heard plans about this for the best part of 10 years without much happening), then it will be good for Gateshead. It will be a shame to see NCC not showing much enthusiasm to keep and develope the current arena, however it will hopefully free up the site for much better developments, though naturally I'll have my doubts.

Digital is popular with plenty of the younger generations, and the gay scene is obviously popular with the LBGT community. I don't think many of the bars round there get much passing trade from the Metro radio arena.

If the Gateshead arena does go ahead (I have heard plans about this for the best part of 10 years without much happening), then it will be good for Gateshead. It will be a shame to see NCC not showing much enthusiasm to keep and develope the current arena, however it will hopefully free up the site for much better developments, though naturally I'll have my doubts.

You would expect so, yes :lol:

It's definitely a when rather than an if. The amount of accommodation still far, far exceeds the predicted amount of incoming students, so it'll be sooner rather than later imo. What they'll do with them though, I don't know.

Ultimately dependent if the Tories get their way and strangle incoming intl student numbers. Something that'd fuck the city regardless of shite accommodation being built/filled. From what I've heard we're about break even on beds for each Uni starting student buts it's soon getting saturated.

Wouldn't be so bad but they all look totally shite. Town is starting to look like Leeds and the generic parts of Manc. Soulless as fuck, absolutely rank.

Whoever said ice rink, I fully agree!. North East has a solid history in ice hockey that is being kept going by the warriors.

As much affection as I have for Whitley ice rink, we need a premier ice venue for our city!!

On subject, all the student accom's in Newcastle is mental, especially the prominent positions they take.

Doubt it. The block of flats directly opposite SJP look great if you want to reach for your toast, and take a piss at the same time from the comfort of your bed.

Whoever said ice rink, I fully agree!. North East has a solid history in ice hockey that is being kept going by the warriors.

As much affection as I have for Whitley ice rink, we need a premier ice venue for our city!!

On subject, all the student accom's in Newcastle is mental, especially the prominent positions they take.

I play/train there every sat night and the odd game on a sunday, we need new facilities, we have teams coming from Sheffield and Nottingham and they cant believe Whitley is our only rink. After that its Billingham.  :lol: :lol: