St James' Park

Delima

• 2 weeks later...

I love the simplicity of our ground in the 1920's. In fact I love virtually all iterations of SJP. That video is so fascinating. The 1995 picture is the pinnacle of our stadium imo. Can't wait to see what plans lie in wait for the next few years!

2 hours ago, pedro111 said:

I love the simplicity of our ground in the 1920's. In fact I love virtually all iterations of SJP. That video is so fascinating. The 1995 picture is the pinnacle of our stadium imo. Can't wait to see what plans lie in wait for the next few years!

The stadium went through a bad patch around the 1980s - just like the club did and also the state of the game in the UK (stadium disasters, hooliganism, lack of money for all but a few clubs, the rise of the player agent and spiv, hoofball, etc). 

18 minutes ago, NEEJ said:

Love owt like this, me. The stand must've looked pretty futuristic/impressive at the time! 

There were grand plans afoot in the 70's to modernise the rest of the ground, but they ran out of money and the East Stand was the only modern bit that was completed. 

20210214_102249.jpg

20210214_102224.jpg

20210214_102238.jpg

20210214_102233.jpg

20210214_102243.jpg

1 minute ago, Whitley mag said:

Used to love the east stand benches radgie as fuck before they turned half of it over to family enclosure.

We got our first season tickets in there. Still remember mine was £45 and my dad's was £90. 23 home games as well.

11 hours ago, pedro111 said:

I remember as a kid doing a stadium tour around that time and SJH was sitting in the stands waving at us kids.

5 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

We got our first season tickets in there. Still remember mine was £45 and my dad's was £90. 23 home games as well.

Aye got mine the year we we’re in the old 2nd division and played Man U at home in the 5th round under the bald eagle. Think you got a ticket for the match and a half season ticket can’t remember how much. Think we lost 3-2, had Paul Sweeney playing and the Mancs went on to win the cup. I’ve erased all memories of our end to the season that year, however good times were just around the corner little did we know at the time.

Just now, Whitley mag said:

Aye got mine the year we we’re in the old 2nd division and played Man U at home in the 5th round under the bald eagle. Think you got a ticket for the match and a half season ticket can’t remember how much. Think we lost 3-2, had Paul Sweeney playing and the Mancs went on to win the cup. I’ve erased all memories of our end to the season that year, however good times were just around the corner little did we know at the time.

Aye we lost 3-2. It was moved to the Sunday for live TV coverage which was pretty unusual at the time. We gave them a bit of a scare that day.

38 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Used to love the east stand benches radgie as fuck before they turned half of it over to family enclosure.

Was in there for Keegan's debut against QPR and it was fairly lively. My old man always stood on the Popular Side and has had his ST there since the mid 80's.

18 minutes ago, UncleBingo said:

Was in there for Keegan's debut against QPR and it was fairly lively. My old man always stood on the Popular Side and has had his ST there since the mid 80's.

Had some great times on the benches before moving upstairs to the gallowgate wing. Used to sit near Keith Barrett back in the 90’s and it was definitely the best part  of the East Stand for atmosphere. Full of big groups of lads from Washington and North Shields who we’re always great craic.

Before the bond scheme, platinum club etc the Milburn leazes wing was always great for getting the atmosphere going aswell in the 90’s.

Edited by Whitley mag

39 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Had some great times on the benches before moving upstairs to the gallowgate wing. Used to sit near Keith Barrett back in the 90’s and it was definitely the best part  of the East Stand for atmosphere. Full of big groups of lads from Washington and North Shields who we’re always great craic.

Before the bond scheme, platinum club etc the Milburn leazes wing was always great for getting the atmosphere going aswell in the 90’s.

Aye, we used to sit at the Leazes end of the Milburn, was great there for a few years, especially when the away fans used to sit in the corner.

I got shifted a few yards down into the Milburn Paddock when the Platinum Club got expanded (despite having a bond) and it was never quite the same.

Edited by UncleBingo