St James' Park

Delima

8 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

I've said it before and I've said it again, I absolutely do not want us to move St James Park. It is the most perfectly placed stadium in the country. If I had my way I would knock down all the crap new buildings going up around it as well. It is to me brilliant that it is visible from the rest of the town up on the hill. 

I am all for rebuilding it, and if a small move I would consider it. 

I don't know why it keeps being peddled that people want to move SJP away from the city centre. Absolutely nobody has even suggested it. A move 100 yards north is not "moving away". It's simply a tiny relocation of the current stadium and location.

29 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

Nope , Just a member 

Bought 4 memberships in the summer for the family.

I have been able to get tickets for every match so far.

Best £90 I’ve spent (2 adult / 2 junior memberships) 

If we can add on 10,000 to St James park , I think that’s enough.

Liverpool have done ok with 54,000 capacity 

Man City , 60,000?

Arsenal 60,000

I wasn't even aware that a membership got you priority for buying tickets. I'm pretty sure a lot of people would be unaware that tickets are available other than queueing on match day, if it becomes common knowledge then I think the demand would far outstrip supply.

14 minutes ago, TRon said:

I wasn't even aware that a membership got you priority for buying tickets. I'm pretty sure a lot of people would be unaware that tickets are available other than queueing on match day, if it becomes common knowledge then I think the demand would far outstrip supply.

It does. That’s why the membership access had to be curtailed after a certain number were sold. 

48 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

Nope , Just a member 

Bought 4 memberships in the summer for the family.

I have been able to get tickets for every match so far.

Best £90 I’ve spent (2 adult / 2 junior memberships) 

If we can add on 10,000 to St James park , I think that’s enough.

Liverpool have done ok with 54,000 capacity 

Man City , 60,000?

Arsenal 60,000

Liverpool can't be too happy with their current 54k as they are currently in the process of expanding Anfield. It's clear as day that the SJP capacity is inadequate. Even early round League Cup games are selling out!

And the club haven't achieved anything yet. One of the things the owners are commited to is growing the fanbase both in this country and abroad. We need a bigger capacity one way or another to help facilitate this. Also they need to be looking ahead. At present there's already a generation of fans can't get to away games because they don't have the loyalty points. It would be a crying shame if the same was happening at home. You can't even buy a membership now.

When I said just north of SJP where talking 250 yards north .if it ever was a goer you could argue the arena site is a better location,what the toon can become over the next couple of decades SJP has had its day the next generation couldn't give a fig about SJP we need to move with the times.

Imho I belive the vast majority of nufc supporters were behind John Hall's super staduim in Castle Leazes what's changed?

It's 2022 who the fuck wants to graze a couple of cows in the middle of the toon it's fooking ridiculous these Freeman should be named and shamed if they try to stop us .

8 minutes ago, Nun tumblers said:

Imho I belive the vast majority of nufc supporters were behind John Hall's super staduim in Castle Leazes what's changed?

It's 2022 who the fuck wants to graze a couple of cows in the middle of the toon it's fooking ridiculous these Freeman should be named and shamed if they try to stop us .

They were. Back then the only real opposition was from the NIMBYs and the support as a whole was begind the move. The capacity was smaller but SJP back then was far nicer than it is now as well. I've never been a fan since the extension in 2000.

13 minutes ago, Nun tumblers said:

In nearly 30 years? Absolutely nothing. :lol:

2 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

How do you know the younger generation don’t care about st James park?

Belive you me all the young'uns just want to see maxi & Bruno etc I know this because of how much it cost to buy the g/kids the latest strips full 3rd kit u10s is £95 ,my point is they're not bothered if it's castle leazes the Arena or SJP but if its SJP most will be locked out.

Ps I live a 40minute walk from SJP and my first game was Eusebio's farewell tour yes it's nostalgic but that where it ends.

We stopped going under Ashley, packed 3 season tickets in. Wankers that continued to go are now pulling up the drawbridge so no one else can. 

Tories. 

Move the ground

Increase the capacity

Call it anything they like

Likes of us, real fans, can get back in. Job done. 

?

Edited by Groundhog63

2 minutes ago, Nun tumblers said:

Belive you me all the young'uns just want to see maxi & Bruno etc I know this because of how much it cost to buy the g/kids the latest strips full 3rd kit u10s is £95 ,my point is they're not bothered if it's castle leazes the Arena or SJP but if its SJP most will be locked out.

Ps I live a 40minute walk from SJP and my first game was Eusebio's farewell tour yes it's nostalgic but that where it ends.

It's nothing more than the same patch of land that it was when I first started going in the early/mid 80s. There's only really the East Stand that resembles anything like what it did back then and even that has changed. The other 3 sides are unrecognisable

It's totally outdated compared to some of the newer stadiums being built and the facilities don't stand up to many other places now. We sat in the East Stand for that womens game the other week and it's poor to say the least. Legroom is terrible and the concourse is grim.

PIF want NUFC to become one of, if not the Worlds best. That'll include the stadium.

So, if all things being equal and the city / freeman, conservation groups etc we’re all ok with a brand new stadium on the exact same site that SJH proposed and it was built with fan noise, family section, standing section, singing etc - would people still not want it? Would views be obstructed or would it still have similar stance amongst the city from a distance etc? 

I’d never thought about the legroom before. Best up sticks for a new site at the Silverlink in that case. Drinks and popcorn holders either side of the seats, sell off the SJP land to student accom developers, everyone’s happy :)

6 minutes ago, Kanji said:

So, if all things being equal and the city / freeman, conservation groups etc we’re all ok with a brand new stadium on the exact same site that SJH proposed and it was built with fan noise, family section, standing section, singing etc - would people still not want it? Would views be obstructed or would it still have similar stance amongst the city from a distance etc? 

Comfortable 80% behind a new staduim, no doubt you'll get some wolly brained dolly potters trying to make out that castle Leazes is the equivalent of the Serengeti nature reserve, they'll get chased too fuck this time.

40 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

They were. Back then the only real opposition was from the NIMBYs and the support as a whole was begind the move. The capacity was smaller but SJP back then was far nicer than it is now as well. I've never been a fan since the extension in 2000.

Same here. SJP was an absolute bearpit when the capacity was 36k and all of the stands were roughly symmetrical. The Level 7 extension drastically reduced the intensity of the atmosphere though. Which is why any new stadium needs to be able to keep the atmosphere enclosed within, just like 1990s SJP did.

Our owners are building a new city from scratch in the fucking desert. They'll either find a way to upgrade SJP as best as possible or move a bit but stay in the city center to build a world class stadium.

Won't be long before we find out I imagine. Euro 2028 and perhaps something tied in to the upcoming new sponsorship deals? The SJP STC stadium? Stadium SaudiA? Ok2. maybe that's taking it too far. So we'll take their money, move 250 yards northwards, build a nrw super stadium named St' James' Park. 

Edited by nufcjb

36 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Same here. SJP was an absolute bearpit when the capacity was 36k and all of the stands were roughly symmetrical. The Level 7 extension drastically reduced the intensity of the atmosphere though. Which is why any new stadium needs to be able to keep the atmosphere enclosed within, just like 1990s SJP did.

Totally agree. The stadium looked perfect when it held 36.k and for big games the noise was unmatched. It would reverberate off all 4 sides and it was absolutely deafening when the crowd was up. We lost all that when it went to 52k. The accoustics changed completely. I put up with it till 2004 and then gave up my seat in the Leazes and switched to the Gallowgate because the extension killed the Leazes End stone dead.

Whilst its interesting seeing these videos people have taken from the city centre or further afield of the noise at SJP during a match that's just all noise that's escaped out of the stadium due to the lopsided design. You don't get that at these modern stadiums or even older ones with the stands roughly the same size.

I was happy with the proposed move back in the 90s and I'd still be happy with it now, location dependant. A move outside the city is a definite non starter for me.

11 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Totally agree. The stadium looked perfect when it held 36.k and for big games the noise was unmatched. It would reverberate off all 4 sides and it was absolutely deafening when the crowd was up. We lost all that when it went to 52k. The accoustics changed completely. I put up with it till 2004 and then gave up my seat in the Leazes and switched to the Gallowgate because the extension killed the Leazes End stone dead.

Whilst its interesting seeing these videos people have taken from the city centre or further afield of the noise at SJP during a match that's just all noise that's escaped out of the stadium due to the lopsided design. You don't get that at these modern stadiums or even older ones with the stands roughly the same size.

I was happy with the proposed move back in the 90s and I'd still be happy with it now, location dependant. A move outside the city is a definite non starter for me.

Yep, agree with all that.

And the more I think about it, the more obvious it is that we need a new stadium. Because even if Level 7 is extended to the Gallowgate then that is actually likely to make the atmosphere even worse. The Gallowgate's current cowshed roof is what makes most of the atmosphere at SJP and once that is gone I could see SJP becoming even less intimidating.

9 minutes ago, Wandy said:

And the more I think about it, the more obvious it is that we need a new stadium. Because even if Level 7 is extended to the Gallowgate then that is actually likely to make the atmosphere even worse. The Gallowgate's current cowshed roof is what makes most of the atmosphere at SJP and once that is gone I could see SJP becoming even less intimidating.

Not if the owners install a giant glass wall above the East Stand. O0

1 hour ago, Nun tumblers said:

I remember writing a letter to the Chronicle  with words to that effect back in the day. I was absolutely raging that our brand new stadium was going to be scuppered by the tree huggers. :lol:

I've grown up a bit since then, and I can sort of see the other POV that we do need open green spaces, just the Moor's not a particularly impressive one is it? Regent's Park it's not. I think the historical buildings around the current stadium are a more valid concern, it would probably be much more problematic extending than it would to move the stadium to the moor.

21 minutes ago, Wandy said:

That's the fear. The Leazes had a good atmosphere pre 2000. If the Gallowgate went the same way as that after being extended it would be pretty disasterous for the atmosphere.

A new stadium makes total sense for so many reasons. They could incorporate a 20k+ safe standing stand behind one goal, have a family section where the kids aren't 1/4 mile from the pitch and can feel more involved in the action and then ultra modern corporate facilites that could generate serious money as the Premier club of the Region with a captive audience.