St James' Park

Delima

20 minutes ago, Wilson said:

Would making the Gallowgate 'symettrical' not affect leazes terrace in some way? 

Can't picture it in my head, but how far towards Leazes terrace would it have to go up?  Surely even bringing the strawberry corner up to the same as the SW corner would affect the light or whatever it is that stops the east stand from being extended? 

No idea what the answer is but I hope they can come up with something to give significant enough increase without moving. 

Always wondered how they got around the Leazes extension (either of them) with the light arguement unless its a newer concept.

You could fill in the East Stand/Leazes corner and it wouldnt make any difference to that.

I suppose at a certain time of day at a certain time of year an extended Gallowgate would effect light to Leazes Terrace but so would any build theoretically as opposed to plains. That next street down I presume isn't listed so wont have the same problems despite it being a lot tighter.

7 minutes ago, Orphanage said:

Doubt we will build a new stadium . Why would they spend hundreds of millions for not that big an increase in capacity ? Likewise i cant see the east stand or the gallowgate being extended . The cost wont justify the paltry increase in capacity . I reckon they will go through the motions of looking into it but the Sela Fanzone Park thingy will be a cheap way to attract and squeeze cash out of fans who cant get tickets and that will be a handy stream of new income they otherwise wouldnt get . 

Agree, and there is significant capacity to increase revenue from the existing SJP by creating more hospitality/corporate and generally increasing prices.  

There continues to be several thousand £86 child season tickets in the family enclosure - cannot see it continuing.

2 minutes ago, Wandy said:

It’s pretty antiquated compared to the standards of the best stadiums now. The East Stand is an embarrassing shithole and the Milburn is pretty basic for a stand that is supposed to be the ‘luxury’ part of the stadium, as its suites are garbage. There is going to need to be a LOT of leeway given by various authorities to get SJP anywhere near the required standards.

They’ve spent a few quid to be fair, the boxes have all been renovated and platinum club too.  Then add in the rooftops and whatever the wings is and they are modernising (horribly overdue).

1 minute ago, Jonas said:

Always wondered how they got around the Leazes extension (either of them) with the light arguement unless its a newer concept.

You could fill in the East Stand/Leazes corner and it wouldnt make any difference to that.

I suppose at a certain time of day at a certain time of year an extended Gallowgate would affect light to Leazes Terrace but so would any build theoretically as opposed to plains. That next street down I presume isn't listed so wont have the same problems despite it being a lot tighter.

St James’s Terrace is grade 2, same as Leazes Tce

14 minutes ago, Amir_9 said:

People need to see what the likes of Anfield is and what the surrounding location is like before calling SJP an "old heap" lol

I love St. James' - for its history, its location, its view of the city from the top seats and under the lights it is a fantastic ground for football. If there are improvements it would be no more than extra seating and the interior (bars / food / toilet area) rather than anything else at this point imo.

Anfield is slowly turning into one of the best stadiums in the country. If they extend the Kop to match the new Anfield Road then the stadium will look seriously impressive.

Opposition to the stand alongside Leazes Terrace has existed since Newcastle East End first started playing there and residents complained of the “intolerable nuisance” of the crowd and particularly the urinating against the wall. Only occupied by students now of course who are generally not awake during daylight hours so may not be such an issue for them to lose all natural light

16 minutes ago, Wandy said:

It’s pretty antiquated compared to the standards of the best stadiums now. The East Stand is an embarrassing shithole and the Milburn is pretty basic for a stand that is supposed to be the ‘luxury’ part of the stadium, as its suites are garbage. There is going to need to be a LOT of leeway given by various authorities to get SJP anywhere near the required standards.

Depends on what you define as better. I'd take an embarrassing dive with character over yet another soulless 'matchday experience' bowl any day. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Depends on what you define as better. I'd take an embarrassing dive with character over yet another soulless 'matchday experience' bowl filled any day. 

Which stadium are you thinking of when you say soulless?

1 minute ago, Wandy said:

Which stadium are you thinking of when you say soulless?

Emirates, Etihad, London Stadium, Wembley and I'm not convinced by Spurs' stadium yet. If they start winning we'll see.

That's just here in the UK, but they're everywhere.

The London Stadium isn’t even a football stadium. Wembley’s problem is its size. The Emirates is definitely looking a bit dated already though.

Definitely don’t agree about the Etihad though. On the outside it’s pretty mundane but inside it’s a great looking stadium and continues to get better. It’s pretty well designed to create an atmosphere too.

Everton’s new stadium is a perfect example of how new stadiums can be built to have character. They have also specifically designed it with atmosphere in mind.

35 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Anfield is slowly turning into one of the best stadiums in the country. If they extend the Kop to match the new Anfield Road then the stadium will look seriously impressive.

But in terms of location - Anfield is seriously grim.  SJP is unique in the city centre rather than in the middle of an estate away from the city centre like Anfield.

1 minute ago, OptimusSlime said:

But in terms of location - Anfield is seriously grim.  SJP is unique in the city centre rather than in the middle of an estate away from the city centre like Anfield.

NUFC’s stadium will never leave the city centre. Whatever happens over the next 10 years, it will remain pretty much where it is, give or take maybe a few hundred yards.

1 hour ago, cubaricho said:

It’s also not just about a capacity number. It’s about the quality of the stadium. SJP is an old heap. They’ll want a shiny new thing with corporate boxes and places you want to spend your money at in the stadium. 

Disgraceful comment. 

17 minutes ago, Wandy said:

NUFC’s stadium will never leave the city centre. Whatever happens over the next 10 years, it will remain pretty much where it is, give or take maybe a few hundred yards.

I very much hope so.

1 minute ago, Disco said:

Bit of hyperbole for the lads

No hyperbole, just 100% fact. It’s a relic from a time when architecture was at it’s very worst.

It’s mad how dewy-eyed people get about SJP. The location is stunning but the stadium itself is seriously flawed.

Would there be complaints if the Reuben’s complete the purchase of the land  adjacent to Benton Asda in North Tyneside and build the new stadium there?  Serviced by Palmersville metro and close to the A19. It is the perfect venue for these new state of the art stadiums craved by the modern fan. 

1 hour ago, Stifler said:

They have huge concourses with different vendors, heck Spurs even have a Beavertown brewery.

You could make the concourses as nice or better but you’re fighting a losing battle as absolutely no one wants to go to the ground any earlier at Newcastle as there’s simply no need.

Better bait and HT would be your only market which is going to be fairly low increased revenue for NUFC games. 

3 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

I very much hope so.

it will never happen. They know they struck gold with the location. Finding the sweet spot around that location is the head scratcher. But if regeneration or relocation within a few hundred yards isn’t possible then they will make do with what they have got. Thing is though, they will definitely find a way to add at least another 8k seats. But I still think a grand plan to remodel the entire Leazes plot of land is what will happen.

3 minutes ago, RS said:

Would there be complaints if the Reuben’s complete the purchase of the land  adjacent to Benton Asda in North Tyneside and build the new stadium there?  Serviced by Palmersville metro and close to the A19. It is the perfect venue for these new state of the art stadiums craved by the modern fan. 

Hard pass.

Got to say I've never gone to SJP and felt like I was missing out by what was being offered. I turn up 5 minutes before kick off like any sensible person, having ate/drank in one of the hundreds of other establishments in the city. I then stay in my seat and watch the match unless I'm bursting for a piss to the point I can't avoid it.

It genuinely amazes me that people are looking for anything else from their visits to a football stadium to be honest. 

Edited by ponsaelius