St James' Park

Delima

1 hour ago, ponsaelius said:

Nah knock down and rebuild there's ways to either use more or less the same plot more efficiently - or build further up the hill on Castle Leazes.

The former just has the issue of where you play in the meantime.

If you were building on Castle Leazes youd just build a new stadium whilst retaining St James Park then when the new build is ready you would take SJP down . No need to play elsewhere at all 

10 minutes ago, Orphanage said:

If you were building on Castle Leazes youd just build a new stadium whilst retaining St James Park then when the new build is ready you would take SJP down . No need to play elsewhere at all 

Yes that's why I only said the former would require playing elsewhere! 

8 minutes ago, Orphanage said:

As it stands yes . 

We've got a location that is amazing and should be coveted.

But thanks to Ashley the stadium looks dated and shabby. e.g. most people have tellys in their living room that are bigger than the ones on our concourse.

The Saudi's love shiny new building and infrastructure projects (see NEOM) and will want a stadium that compares favourably to other top teams. 

So I think it's inevitable we're getting an upgrade, just where and how are the questions.

12 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

So I think it's inevitable we're getting an upgrade, just where and how are the questions.

I actually think that (as well as a 10k-15k capacity extension) there will also be a complete refurbishment of the interior. I know it's all been given a lick of paint recently, but I'm talking about new flooring and wall panelling going down over the concrete/brick that's there currently. New TVs, new kiosks etc. 

29 minutes ago, Orphanage said:

Hence the Sela fanzone park thingy which would attempt to draw in as many fans as possible before , during ( ticketless fans ) and after the match . Profits increased without extending the ground . Tbh i cant see a ground extension or a new build . Its just not cost effective 

Don't see it. The fan zone at St James' will be temporary. The discussion going on will be to expand or build anew. Gallowgate expansion would lead to a new fanzone, don't rule out Leazes Terrace or the Barker and Stonehouse building.

4 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

I actually think that (as well as a 10k-15k capacity extension) there will also be a complete refurbishment of the interior. I know it's all been given a lick of paint recently, but I'm talking about new flooring and wall panelling going down over the concrete/brick that's there currently. New TVs, new kiosks etc. 

There's also the possibility of building back from the Leazes to allow more corporate stuff.

Also, Grade 1 listed status (Leazes Terrace) does not stop any alterations or even demolition.

8 minutes ago, madras said:

Don't see it. The fan zone at St James' will be temporary. The discussion going on will be to expand or build anew. Gallowgate expansion would lead to a new fanzone, don't rule out Leazes Terrace or the Barker and Stonehouse building.

Well , we will see in the next five years or so but dont be too shocked if it doesnt happen ( ground extension )

Just now, Orphanage said:

Well , we will see in the next five years or so but dont be too shocked if it doesnt happen ( ground extension )

I would be shocked if there's no extension or new build. I doubt a fanzone for maybe a thousand or so (which they'll have regardless of aswell as an extension or new ground) is going to take the place of maybe 8,000 extra inside the ground in the eyes of the club.

Issue with a new stadium is you’d spend huge amounts and the capacity would only go up about 18000 max as the club are not realistically going to sell out regularly over 70k 

Whereas there was a lot more corporate and premium stuff at SJP in the 00’s, you can boost the commercial revenue from the stadium substantially. A lot more of the leases and milburn used to be various clubs and areas.

id expect a modest extension plus a refurb

One outcome will be higher prices…

Cheaper to build a new stadium rather than mess around with extensions and the like. If the general consensus is to to have something along the lines of the stadium they played in the states then you have to knock it down and build a new one , build a temp one.

2 hours ago, Adam said:

How busy is the multi story car park on match days? Seems mad to have all the space just for parking, when you could expand the concourse out in to that? 

How many levels do you want on the Leazes ? 9 ? 10 ? Need to provide oxygen masks as standard : )

Edited by Orphanage
sp

Just now, Orphanage said:

How man levels do you want on the Leazes ? 9 ? 10 ? Need to provide oxygen masks as standard : )

He said out, not up. Bigger concourses for better hospitality etc a la Atlanta.

50 minutes ago, wyn davies said:

Cheaper to build a new stadium rather than mess around with extensions and the like. If the general consensus is to to have something along the lines of the stadium they played in the states then you have to knock it down and build a new one , build a temp one.

You can argue it would be better, but unless any extension to the Gallowgate/East Stand was made of gold, a new stadium would not be cheaper.

3 hours ago, WilliamPS said:

Issue with a new stadium is you’d spend huge amounts and the capacity would only go up about 18000 max as the club are not realistically going to sell out regularly over 70k 

Whereas there was a lot more corporate and premium stuff at SJP in the 00’s, you can boost the commercial revenue from the stadium substantially. A lot more of the leases and milburn used to be various clubs and areas.

id expect a modest extension plus a refurb

One outcome will be higher prices…

Agree completely.  There is so much untapped revenue from existing SJP. 

I expect further refurbs within the ground and more existing areas converted to premium or hospitality next summer again too.

As other posters have said, cost of labour/materials is huge nowadays.  The value of an expansion is poor.  Unless a Saudi vanity project is wanted - which it may well be.

Guys, it won't be cheaper. Construction costs are through the roof, coupled with the availability of skilled construction labor globally. Our only benefit is that we probably are lucky enough that PIF could likely fund the entire construction of a new stadium or expansion with cash where as our rivals had to go into the debt markets to fund. Now, if the PIF do it their institutional way, they may get debt from their preferred lenders....which would be intersting as well. 

It's an expensive project one way or another. Do not look at what stuff cost 1-5 years ago or 5-10 years ago. It doesn't compare anymore. 

Edited by Kanji

1 hour ago, SteV said:

You can argue it would be better, but unless any extension to the Gallowgate/East Stand was made of gold, a new stadium would not be cheaper.

Correct, and that's why Liverpool have not built a new stadium even when you consider  2 extensions costing almost 200m. Both stands have ceilings too. 

24 minutes ago, Pancrate1892 said:

Correct, and that's why Liverpool have not built a new stadium even when you consider  2 extensions costing almost 200m. Both stands have ceilings too. 

So that’s what Klopp meant 

1 hour ago, madras said:

He said out, not up. Bigger concourses for better hospitality etc a la Atlanta.

I think that's an excellent point. Maybe the leazes can be extended back and have the car park behind the existing structure (stacked) so that the concourses can be extended for what we saw in Atlanta, large bar areas with viewing areas into the ground