Are we bending over backwards against Scott Parker

oldtype

If he weer so good he would be at a beter club than the toon

We will always be a mid-table team whenever parker and roeder are at the reign

If you think that Roeder and Parker are the two main objects holding this club back from greatness, you really need to give your head a shake, you clueless c***.

he got fuckin banned for that???? fuuuuuuuuckin hell

Good point gejon. Its also worth remembering that the more he plays in that role, with a consistant partner then he will gain more experiance. I've said all along we should use Butt to tutor him.

To be a top DM you need to be able to tackle, cover space as well as distribute the ball quickly and effectively. Parker is a fantastic tackler with a very good engine but he needs to learn how to take fewer touches on the ball and release it quicker.

It doesn't matter if Parker decides to drop the ball off to a defender beacause at least that means we can create a new attack from the back. What he does do and should not do is takes to much time on the ball whilst making little ground.  

Agreed, also to be a top DM you need to be able to hold your position and know when not to tackle. Parker is often drawn to the ball because he is so dynamic and energetic - he'll fly into a position where the odds are against winning the ball and leave the space behind him exposed.

The likes of Vieira, Makelele etc know when to 'shepherd' a player, when to stick a foot in and when to go for the full blooded Parker style challenge.

Not saying he can't be coached into this role though, but Roeder will need to decide that's what he wants from Scotty, which at the moment seems not be the case.

Glad we'll be able to see Parker playing more defensive over the next two games, because of Butt's ridiculous suspension for AZ and him also missing the Charlton game. Hopefully he will be far better than he has been lately with a more attacking partner beside him.

Thought he was one of our better players on Saturday in all honesty.

Howay man, all he does is pirouette, never passes forward, he should be a ballerina, etc. etc. etc.

Repeat ad nauseum.

Agree. He might as well have been the only player on the pitch to be honest.

Glad we'll be able to see Parker playing more defensive over the next two games, because of Butt's ridiculous suspension for AZ and him also missing the Charlton game. Hopefully he will be far better than he has been lately with a more attacking partner beside him.

Thing is, do we even have an attacking partner to pair him with? Emre's mystery groin injury will probably flair up again...

Parker-Pattison! :buck2:

Guest optimistic nit

had a good game vs middlesbrough i must admit, tied best player imo alongside butt and bramble.

Agree. He might as well have been the only player on the pitch to be honest.

Thing is, do we even have an attacking partner to pair him with? Emre's mystery groin injury will probably flair up again...

Parker-Pattison! :buck2:

If Emre's "FA groin racism problem hearing" keeps him out, I'd imagine we'll use Parker-Dyer, with Sib partnering Martins up front. God knows what we'll do if any of them winds up unavailable...

Its not helping him or the club that he's partnered in the middle with Butt. I would like to see Parker resume the holding role next season with Dyer as the midfield playmaker and Martins and Owen up front.

Is the right answer.

No, it's the wrong answer. Butt is a far, far better footballer than Parker, tbh.

As others have said, Parker doesn't have a position. Imo that is because he isn't good enough at anything to make a position his own. Butt on the other hand is our best defensive midfielder, only some kind of negative bias can make anybody believe otherwise because the reality is he's the only one we have. He does a better job in that role than Parker.

Emre and Dyer both offer more attacking threat when playing in a creative/attacking midfield role and so are both better than Parker in that role, a lot of that is down to the fact they are both naturally creative, attacking players. I doubt anyone should disagree with that since the general opinion anyway is that Parker should play the DM role.

Guest alijmitchell

Its not helping him or the club that he's partnered in the middle with Butt. I would like to see Parker resume the holding role next season with Dyer as the midfield playmaker and Martins and Owen up front.

Is the right answer.

No, it's the wrong answer. Butt is a far, far better footballer than Parker, tbh.

As others have said, Parker doesn't have a position. Imo that is because he isn't good enough at anything to make a position his own. Butt on the other hand is our best defensive midfielder, only some kind of negative bias can make anybody believe otherwise because the reality is he's the only one we have. He does a better job in that role than Parker.

Emre and Dyer both offer more attacking threat when playing in a creative/attacking midfield role and so are both better than Parker in that role, a lot of that is down to the fact they are both naturally creative, attacking players. I doubt anyone should disagree with that since the general opinion anyway is that Parker should play the DM role.

Agreed. Although roeder's general idea was to play him more as a box to box player, and has subsequently led to confusion as to his role on the pitch at times, he does not possess the quality to make a position his own.

As a defensive midfielder his positional sense is poor and is easily duped into commiting himself and getting dragged out of position. Although it is a bit harsh on the lad, Scholes' goals at SJP highlighted this flaw in his game. Put simply, he is not disciplined enough.

Going forward he can be useful (I think the Wigan match at the start of the season he showed that), but as mentioned in this thread, he spends far too much time on the ball and too often plays the sideways ball instead of driving forward.

As a DM Butt is more disciplined and has a better positional sense, as well as matching Parker's qualities (strong in the tackle, and very determined),

and we can all agree that Emre/Dyer are better going forward from midfield.

So it is really a case of him not being good enough to make any position his own.

Is the right answer.

Agreed. Although roeder's general idea was to play him more as a box to box player, and has subsequently led to confusion as to his role on the pitch at times, he does not possess the quality to make a position his own.

As a defensive midfielder his positional sense is poor and is easily duped into commiting himself and getting dragged out of position. Although it is a bit harsh on the lad, Scholes' goals at SJP highlighted this flaw in his game. Put simply, he is not disciplined enough.

Going forward he can be useful (I think the Wigan match at the start of the season he showed that), but as mentioned in this thread, he spends far too much time on the ball and too often plays the sideways ball instead of driving forward.

As a DM Butt is more disciplined and has a better positional sense, as well as matching Parker's qualities (strong in the tackle, and very determined),

and we can all agree that Emre/Dyer are better going forward from midfield.

So it is really a case of him not being good enough to make any position his own.

That's it in a nutshell really.

People who want him in the team always write about what he *could* do *if* he was used in a different way. Well my view is he doesn't have the attributes to be either a defensive midfielder, an attacking midfielder or a box to box type.

He's not good enough, we'll improve if he's sent packing.

Guest Knightrider

Worked well under Souness?!

As a DCM, case closed. Move him back there and he'll work well again.

Guest Phil K

He's just a scapegoat at the end of the day, being our captain and all that.

I'm baffled at a minorities attitude to him, I agree.

Guest sillybilly

He gives 100% - He gets stuck in - I like him for that, but his fatal flaw which stops him from being a class player is that he does not create much. He looks left and right before looking ahead.... The Toon are a better team with him in the team and I firmly believe that with better players around him he will make that step up... so at the moment I would say he is over hyped.... not his fault

Woodgates coming back

You'd think that they would at least have SOME knowledge, perhaps even broader knowledge than most of us fans, who usually only watch the matches of the team we are supporting.

This is where the argument falls apart because it is this fact that makes us a better judge of a player's ability to play and function in our team. It is because of the fact that these commentators don't watch us week-in week-out that they're unable to observe this. It's also why they keep repeating the same old shite that our defense is shit (even when it wasn't) and that we play good attacking football (which we, honestly, quite a lot of times, don't).

Parker's been OK. No better or worse than the majority of the squad. The media hyped him up ridiculously and when he didn't meet those standards many fans were let down and labelled him s****. Similar to Jenas really. As a result of his captaincy and his manager's faith in him he's sometimes been played when he should have been rested or when others were in better form (eg the Butt-Emre partnership that sent us on a decent run). If you look at it objectively he's done alright for us but we know he can do a lot better.

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

Parker has played well lately in a more defensive role, and as one of the few (I guess) I have nothing against his turns. That makes him difficult to lay pressure on and to tackle and we can reorganise if we have been under a lot of pressure. Only case where he should release the ball faster is when we are in counter attack, but often I think he got a great forward in these counter attacks, so no really complains from my point of view.

Parker and Emre should get another chance to built up a partnership in a team who hopefully will work better now when a lot of injuried players have recovered...

I've never seen a Newcastle midfield more deviod of creativity and class than when Parker was playing DCM under Souness.

I've never seen a Newcastle midfield more deviod of creativity and class than when Parker was playing DCM under Souness.

Aye, cos that was Parker's fault. Nowt to do with Amdy Faye like . . .

I assume you feel the creativity and class our midfield showed last night was DESPITE Parker . . .

Aye, cos that was Parker's fault. Nowt to do with Amdy Faye like . . .

I assume you feel the creativity and class our midfield showed last night was DESPITE Parker . . .

Not in the slightest, and that's nothing to do with what I said. I think he's an OK player, but people claiming he played well under Souness must remember that we were utter wank under him - when a midfield's playing that badly it has to be down to two players. And if you remember, he played alongside Emre at least as much as Faye that season.

After spending a night deep inside of enemy territory, I came away from a game I should have thoroughly enjoyed seething because of the constant attitude/comments from a bunch of old cunts sat around me in the Leazes End.

These detestable old bastards were bad enough in the fact that they didn't sing, or clap, once, even when Sibierski was substituted for Milner and Duff came off for Emre - they did not even stand up to acknowledge the change. They did not clap the players out onto the pitch, and they barely celebrated the goals. I suppose I should be thankful that they even bothered their arses to turn up, but I would have preferred it if they didn't. I have never heard so much constant moaning and abuse towards our own players in all of my life.

Far, far worse than this, though, was that everything that went wrong on the night was the fault of two players: Stephen Carr and Scott Parker, two players who I didn't think did a great deal wrong, although neither of them were particularly brilliant when compared to some of the performances on display (Martins, Sibierski, Dyer, etc.)

There is a worrying culture developing, seemingly among some of the older generation of our support, over Scott Parker's contribution to this club - I can understand why people aren't happy with him for his lack of passing range, his lack of pace and his lack of being able to release the ball quickly, but when Scott Parker is the sole player on the pitch getting blamed for not closing down opponents, when Scott Parker is accused of "not being interested", while everyone else gets off scott-free and when Scott Parker, brace yourselves for this, gets BLAMED for their second goal because his last-ditch tackle didn't clear the ball of the goal-line and out of danger. Never mind he was the only fucking player who had bust a gut to dive onto any potential rebounds, never mind he'd done brilliantly to stop a fucking goal going in, no, it was his fucking fault that they scored.

This last one, in particular, forced me to have a word with the cunt sitting next to me, who I merely told "if you think that goal is Parker's fault, I hope you watch it on a replay tonight and feel like a prick."

Some of the gems heard from Team Cunt last night also included:

¤ Blaming Scott Parker when Nicky Butt gave him a waist-high pass from 5 yards away, which was intercepted.

¤ Sarcastically applauding and shouting "he's finally won one!", near the end, when Parker won yet another tackle.

¤ Refusing to acknowledge anything good that he did, merely sitting in silence when the rest of the ground applauded.

¤ Constantly shouting to Roeder (from the Leazes End) to "get him off" from about the 40th minute, until the end.

¤ Blaming Parker for their second goal going in, as already mentioned.

¤ Claiming him to "not be interested" in the final five minutes because he, like the rest of our lads, was too paggered to press their central defenders (a job that isn't even fucking his.)

Now of course these near-dead fuckers are entitled to their opinion on Parker, who I didn't think played particularly well last night (or for a few games now), but I certainly didn't see him as being any worse than Nicky Butt, who managed to successfully escape abuse-free after dishing out his usual dose of astray 5-yard passes and 10-yard hospital balls.

As I've said, I can understand him getting abuse in the way that HTL or NE5 do it, because it's fairly educated abuse about what they have pinpointed as his footballing weaknesses, and I'd be greatly interested to hear from them about the points I've listed above (whether they agree with them or not.) But when a lad who quite obvsiouly slogs his bollocks off for us, despite his weaknesses as a player, gets the level of personal abuse he did last night from a group of gents who should know far better it crosses the line for me.

I've never even heard some of our greatest misfits get such constant abuse from the stands before, and I've been to practically every home game for years now and witnessed some utter fools wearing our colours. To me, though, it seems that there's a Scott Parker bandwagon starting-up and with some, like with Ameobi, it's already gone past the point of no-return when they refuse to clap anything good that he does.