What would it take to get the spark back?

mrmojorisin75

my opinion is in part due to our "big club" mentality.   it's all well and good to think/believe we are (and for the record, i think we are), but on the pitch smaller clubs do a number on us with alarming consistency.  we rise to the occasion when we play one of our "peer" teams, Man utd, l'pool etc. which shows we can play with the big boys, but we always seem to play down to the level of teams that on paper are our inferior.  we need to either: lose the big club mentality and adopt a small club's never say die, 100% at all times attitude for every opponent, OR, play every game with the clinical, ruthless, cold-hearted efficiency of a true big club.

I like this post a lot.  Supporters (at least on here) seem to think that just because its NUFC and a few years back we were a top side, we still are one, or should be preforming like one.  After robson's exit, and souness' mess, it will take some time to get back to where the club should be and people really need to be more patient.

The one slight flaw with that is unfortunately we can't snap our fingers and develop/lose big club mentalities/100% attitudes. We need a GOOD manager to help us as fans and the players to do that.

I feel a hell of a lot more positive about the future of the club than I did a year ago. I still think Roeder is doing a good job, and the best part is, we are gradually becomming less of a laughing stock, and turning into a more respected, hard working team. Part of that is down to Shearer no longer being here (he added to the circus feel around the place).

I'm very willing to give Roeder until the end of next season, and if he finishes in a respectable position this year (between 7th and 11th I would count as respectable) and then improves upon it next year, I see NO REASON why he shouldn't stay longer. Getting rid will achieve nothing, and the signs have been there at times that we have good foundations in place.

Things that would improve our current situation:

- Emre back in the team.

- Getting more people in the box would help.

- A new LB.

You feel more positive now than a year ago when we were climbing up the table under a caretaker who according to Shepherd was to make way for a world class manager at the end of the season and slot back into a developing academy and reserve setup? Blimey.

At least I felt the club had a chance of attracting such a character back then, now I wouldn't be so sure. That doesn't strike me as a positive step forward.

now fat freds keeping quiet  i worry that he may think things are going ok .but our football is dross at the moment with only emre missing from players who are available to play now who can improve the team ,we are no better tactically with no real flair away from home on a consistent level with players not performing to a good  enough standard to beat teams we should truthfully be beating .unless roeder gets class players in and can get them motivated imho we will get more underperforming players in our ranks.

my opinion is in part due to our "big club" mentality.   it's all well and good to think/believe we are (and for the record, i think we are), but on the pitch smaller clubs do a number on us with alarming consistency.  we rise to the occasion when we play one of our "peer" teams, Man utd, l'pool etc. which shows we can play with the big boys, but we always seem to play down to the level of teams that on paper are our inferior.  we need to either: lose the big club mentality and adopt a small club's never say die, 100% at all times attitude for every opponent, OR, play every game with the clinical, ruthless, cold-hearted efficiency of a true big club.

I like this post a lot.  Supporters (at least on here) seem to think that just because its NUFC and a few years back we were a top side, we still are one, or should be preforming like one.  After robson's exit, and souness' mess, it will take some time to get back to where the club should be and people really need to be more patient.

The one slight flaw with that is unfortunately we can't snap our fingers and develop/lose big club mentalities/100% attitudes. We need a GOOD manager to help us as fans and the players to do that.

Well, we're only a good manager and 6 or 7 good players away from that, then.

you understand what i'm getting at though don't you, ElDiablo?  we need to to stop with all the complacency on the pitch.  injury list be damned, there's plenty to be said for our side when we're well up for a particular match.  how much of that is down to the manager, i don't know.  he can be winston churchill-esque in his pre-match & halftime talks to inspire, but if the players can't be arsed, or just don't think they NEED to be arsed...  well, we end up losing to shef utd, b'ham, etc...

i think we are a big club, but on the pitch, the attitude must needs be "we're going to do whatever it takes to WIN this match.

We have a big stadium, and a relatively big income. But in footballing terms, we're far from a big club.

if you're talking about table position and winning etc. then i totally agree.    but in terms of fan appeal and name recognition around the world, i think we do pretty well.

We have a big stadium, and a relatively big income. But in footballing terms, we're far from a big club.

if you're talking about table position and winning etc. then i totally agree.    but in terms of fan appeal and name recognition around the world, i think we do pretty well.

Like i said, big stadium, relatively big fanbase, but not a big club. It takes more than being in a one-team football mad city, and playing exciting stuff 10 years ago, to make a big club.

Guest smoggeordie

Big clubs win things. We don't.

All we are is a joe average club with a wad of cash and a big stadium.

Living out of Toon now this is a big assumption but from what I do see of NUFC these days, what I hear from mates still there and what I read here  it seems that despondancy & apathy reign at SJP; indeed hope has largely passed us by going in the other direction. 

Watching games has become a drain, almost a chore at times, due to a number of factors so my question is this - what would it take to get the life back into supporting NUFC?

(By the way I hate Spurs but I watched them play yesterday and couldn't help but notice that for two "similar" clubs the gulf in style of play and flair was frightening when contrasted to our game vs "Boro)

Some options we hear repeatedly, none of which are impossible, are:

Sacking the board?

A takeover?

A good run at the start of next season?

A spending spree bringing in flair players to add to the squad we already have?

A spending spree on defenders and midfielders?

A new manager?

Getting shot of Luque

Alan Shearer?

A cup run?

Relegation?

I have my own thoughts but I just wondered what the consensus was?  Or if there is one...

if you think playing regularly in europe and buying England players is apathy, you wouldn't know real despondency and apathy if it hit you on the head with a rusty hammer mate.

;D

Well, we're only a good manager and 6 or 7 good players away from that, then.

Could be worse I spose.

my two penneth on my own question goes as follows - i don't believe this chairman will walk, there won't be much money and the manager will stay until shearer decides he fancies it (or 3. we get relegated)

therefore what i'd love more than anything to see (but i realise it'd NEVER happen) would be to sell/ship the following players: carr, bramble, moore, babayaro, butt, luque, duff, sibierski, ameobi, emre, pattison, ramage....owen/parker are possibles but we'd need a nucleus of experienced players

1. i'd replace them with a mixture of what we have at reserve/youth level presently and i'd use all of the transfer fees plus our usual summer budget to fill the squad with talented youngsters with potential from britain/holland/germany/scandinavia primarily (players from these foreign countries would more than likely settle in the north east better than a spaniard or a italian for example) and not one of them would be older than 22...

then 2. i'd set off on a death or glory season with the bairns

i just don't want to see another 5-10m signing from chel$ki reserves on 50,000 a week....i don't want another luque walking through the door...i don't want another 10m striker on a 5 year contract

nothing would excite me more and get me behind the team than something like that - i feel SJP would get together and shout and sing for a load of kids playing their heart out....

it's pie in the sky bollocks i know but it would be fantastic to see, even if not on such a sweeping scale as i say here...sadly the alternative is almost certainly to be more "safe" signings from glenn in the window who'll cost so much we won't be able to fully address the gaping holes in our squad and will continue to play with no fire, heart or imagination 'cause they'll all be driving home in ferrari's (i know money and performances aren't directly linked but where is the hunger in our players; martins, milner, charlie, taylor, given and the bairns excepted?)

If you do no.1,  then no.2 I have a nasty hunch we'd be very worried about no.3......

my two penneth on my own question goes as follows - i don't believe this chairman will walk, there won't be much money and the manager will stay until shearer decides he fancies it (or 3. we get relegated)

therefore what i'd love more than anything to see (but i realise it'd NEVER happen) would be to sell/ship the following players: carr, bramble, moore, babayaro, butt, luque, duff, sibierski, ameobi, emre, pattison, ramage....owen/parker are possibles but we'd need a nucleus of experienced players

1. i'd replace them with a mixture of what we have at reserve/youth level presently and i'd use all of the transfer fees plus our usual summer budget to fill the squad with talented youngsters with potential from britain/holland/germany/scandinavia primarily (players from these foreign countries would more than likely settle in the north east better than a spaniard or a italian for example) and not one of them would be older than 22...

then 2. i'd set off on a death or glory season with the bairns

i just don't want to see another 5-10m signing from chel$ki reserves on 50,000 a week....i don't want another luque walking through the door...i don't want another 10m striker on a 5 year contract

nothing would excite me more and get me behind the team than something like that - i feel SJP would get together and shout and sing for a load of kids playing their heart out....

it's pie in the sky bollocks i know but it would be fantastic to see, even if not on such a sweeping scale as i say here...sadly the alternative is almost certainly to be more "safe" signings from glenn in the window who'll cost so much we won't be able to fully address the gaping holes in our squad and will continue to play with no fire, heart or imagination 'cause they'll all be driving home in ferrari's (i know money and performances aren't directly linked but where is the hunger in our players; martins, milner, charlie, taylor, given and the bairns excepted?)

If you do no.1,  then no.2 I have a nasty hunch we'd be very worried about no.3......

true enough, but you never know!

Living out of Toon now this is a big assumption but from what I do see of NUFC these days, what I hear from mates still there and what I read here  it seems that despondancy & apathy reign at SJP; indeed hope has largely passed us by going in the other direction. 

Watching games has become a drain, almost a chore at times, due to a number of factors so my question is this - what would it take to get the life back into supporting NUFC?

(By the way I hate Spurs but I watched them play yesterday and couldn't help but notice that for two "similar" clubs the gulf in style of play and flair was frightening when contrasted to our game vs "Boro)

Sacking the board?

A takeover?

A new manager?

Getting shot of Luque

Alan Shearer?

A cup run?

Relegation?

I have my own thoughts but I just wondered what the consensus was?  Or if there is one...

if you think playing regularly in europe and buying England players is apathy, you wouldn't know real despondency and apathy if it hit you on the head with a rusty hammer mate.

;D

who are you?

i mean you can obviously read words but do you ever undertand what they mean?  if you find watching NUFC these days fills you with anticipation for the feast of football you're about to see then i'd argue you're in the minority, the football is beyond dull and EVERYONE knows it is

furthermore since when does playing in europe guarantee excitement either on the pitch or within the supporters? what was the crowd in the last match against those belgians and how was the performance?  if the team could play anything approaching attractive/attacking football there might have been more there (don't bother telling me about ticket prices, i already know)

as for england players carlton palmer was an england player, so was michael ricketts...should i have been excited by signing either of them if we'd done so?  albert luque is a spain international and boumsong plays for france....ooooooh how exciting 'cause them playing for us must guarantee free flowing football and unquestioning acceptance that all is well in the club, mustn't it?

once again you're trying to turn this into something you want to talk about (how much better it is these days and how you remember when this was all fields or some shit) all the while ignoring what i was asking, and indeed reality - can't you see that it doesn't matter how bad things were 20 years ago?  it doesn't make them NOT bad now....

Sacking the board?

A takeover?

A new manager?

Getting shot of Luque

Alan Shearer?

A cup run?

Relegation?

;D

who are you?

who are you ?

i mean you can obviously read words but do you ever undertand what they mean?  if you find watching NUFC these days fills you with anticipation for the feast of football you're about to see then i'd argue you're in the minority, the football is beyond dull and EVERYONE knows it is

furthermore since when does playing in europe guarantee excitement either on the pitch or within the supporters? what was the crowd in the last match against those belgians and how was the performance?  if the team could play anything approaching attractive/attacking football there might have been more there (don't bother telling me about ticket prices, i already know)

To repeat. If you think playing in europe regularly is unattractive and failure - or whatever else you describe - you wouldn't know apathy, failure and "lack of spark" if it hit you on the head with a rusty hammer.

as for england players carlton palmer was an england player, so was michael ricketts...should i have been excited by signing either of them if we'd done so?  albert luque is a spain international and boumsong plays for france....ooooooh how exciting 'cause them playing for us must guarantee free flowing football and unquestioning acceptance that all is well in the club, mustn't it?

once again you're trying to turn this into something you want to talk about (how much better it is these days and how you remember when this was all fields or some shit) all the while ignoring what i was asking, and indeed reality - can't you see that it doesn't matter how bad things were 20 years ago?  it doesn't make them NOT bad now....

You have no idea of the difference between signing international footballers, and selling them because they want to leave and seeing them signing for anyone but you. If you did, you wouldn't come out with such bollocks.

Lastly, I read your idealistic rubbish about buying a barrowload of young players, Bobby Robson you ain't.

My point - is that - if we had such a shit board as you think we have, they WOULD be a lot worse .......

Go back to Toontastic please.

whats the matter, do you only want people who agree with you on here ?

You would be better off taking notice of what I have posted, if you are naive enough to think such a scenario is impossible, because it isn't.

Sacking the board?

A takeover?

A new manager?

Getting shot of Luque

Alan Shearer?

A cup run?

Relegation?

;D

who are you?

who are you ?

To repeat. If you think playing in europe regularly is unattractive and failure - or whatever else you describe - you wouldn't know apathy, failure and "lack of spark" if it hit you on the head with a rusty hammer.

once again you're trying to turn this into something you want to talk about (how much better it is these days and how you remember when this was all fields or some s***) all the while ignoring what i was asking, and indeed reality - can't you see that it doesn't matter how bad things were 20 years ago?  it doesn't make them NOT bad now....

You have no idea of the difference between signing international footballers, and selling them because they want to leave and seeing them signing for anyone but you. If you did, you wouldn't come out with such bollocks.

Lastly, I read your idealistic rubbish about buying a barrowload of young players, Bobby Robson you ain't.

My point - is that - if we had such a s*** board as you think we have, they WOULD be a lot worse .......

who am i?  i'm someone who realises the point of discussion/argument is to see what the other person says in order to progress matters, you appear not to understand that concept as all you've done is repeat what you said in the first place and largely ignored what i responded with, exactly what you did on the last post i put up funnily enough

of course i undertand the difference between the type of international player you talk about but you didn't make any reference to that in your previous post, nor does it bear a great deal of relevance to my question in the first place  - unless you haven't noticed the england team is FULL of england internationals and they play football that can make a grown man weep, so what's your point?

don't try to hang me with the "idealistic rubbish" either 'cause i acknowledged that that's exactly what it is at the time - doesn't mean i don't want to see it; what is this George Orwells 1984 or summat, so you must be the thought police?....also if you notice when i was answering my own question i didn't actually mention getting shot of the board just that i think it's the way to go (regardless of who is in the boardroom)

so come on then, fabricate something else i'm supposed to have said and tell me that our old boards were worse and if they were in charge now then blah blah blah....zzzzzzzzzzzz

sorry i was watching a repeat of the last england game there

Guest Invicta_Toon

just how many current England players have we signed in the last 5 years?

how many international players have preferred to sign for anyone else but NUFC in the last 5 years?

how many times have we qualified automatically in the last 5 years?

how many times have we had to play extra games in a nonense competition just to get to the stage of automatic qualification in the past 5 years?

Sacking the board?

A takeover?

A new manager?

Getting shot of Luque

Alan Shearer?

A cup run?

Relegation?

;D

who are you?

who are you ?

once again you're trying to turn this into something you want to talk about (how much better it is these days and how you remember when this was all fields or some s***) all the while ignoring what i was asking, and indeed reality - can't you see that it doesn't matter how bad things were 20 years ago?  it doesn't make them NOT bad now....

My point - is that - if we had such a s*** board as you think we have, they WOULD be a lot worse .......

who am i?  i'm someone who realises the point of discussion/argument is to see what the other person says in order to progress matters, you appear not to understand that concept as all you've done is repeat what you said in the first place and largely ignored what i responded with, exactly what you did on the last post i put up funnily enough

of course i undertand the difference between the type of international player you talk about but you didn't make any reference to that in your previous post, nor does it bear a great deal of relevance to my question in the first place  - unless you haven't noticed the england team is FULL of england internationals and they play football that can make a grown man weep, so what's your point?

don't try to hang me with the "idealistic rubbish" either 'cause i acknowledged that that's exactly what it is at the time - doesn't mean i don't want to see it; what is this George Orwells 1984 or summat, so you must be the thought police?....also if you notice when i was answering my own question i didn't actually mention getting shot of the board just that i think it's the way to go (regardless of who is in the boardroom)

so come on then, fabricate something else i'm supposed to have said and tell me that our old boards were worse and if they were in charge now then blah blah blah....zzzzzzzzzzzz

sorry i was watching a repeat of the last england game there

not just our old boards were worse, but unless you haven't bothered to wake up in the real world, the vast majority of present day ones in the country are too. Unless we haven't actually qualified for europe more than everyone else bar 4 clubs. Oh, I must have made that up.

Wait a moment, I haven't.

Who exactly do you see that has came forward and shown the desire and ability to do better ?

As for England. If you do not see the worth of a club buying current big England players, and think a club that buys such players is shite, then - as I said - you would not understand REAL apathy and mediocrity, if it hit you on the head with a rusty hammer.

Firstly I'd like to see a change for the better at the top, another Sir John Hall would do nicely for me.  He might have relied upon others but he produced and that is the job of the chairman, to appoint people who will take the club forwards.  Shepherd helped to do this along with Freddy Fletcher and Douglas, it's not something he (Shepherd) has been able to repeat since taking over other than when he appointed Bobby Robson, he's got the most important decision wrong on too many occasions to be allowed to keep on doing it.

I would then hope that the new chairman would re-structure the club and take it forwards, come up with a plan which set goals and go for it, Shepherd seems to have learned something with his latest appointment to the board but I've got no faith in him as chairman any more, I expect everything he does will turn to shit. 

A new manager would then be on the shopping list, somebody who we could look to and know we had a good chance of heading in the right direction again.  We were able to see something in Keegan and Sir Bobby, we knew they'd move hell and earth to bring success to the club, I guess we could have that same faith in Sir John, I don't have it in Shepherd or Roeder.

NE5 will probably take the piss out of this but we need to be financially sound, we're probably now seeing results of giving the wrong man too much money, the manager cocked up but so did the chairman when he appointed the manager in the first place.  Roeder has nothing in his record to suggest that he's capable of taking us anywhere close to where we should be, not by divine right but on the back of 50,000 who turn up most home games and pa extortionate prices for the privilege.  We pay "Rolls-Royce" admission fees so should be given "rolls-Royce" performances, both on the field and off it.

Newcastle United FC is underperforming in everything it does and that’s not good enough.  If people are happy to accept that then good, I’ll not and I don’t see why anybody should just because the odd person thinks that they should.  If some people are happy to accept shite then that’s the choice they’ve made, it’s not my choice and it shouldn’t be the choice of others.

Firstly I'd like to see a change for the better at the top, another Sir John Hall would do nicely for me.  He might have relied upon others but he produced and that is the job of the chairman, to appoint people who will take the club forwards.  Shepherd helped to do this along with Freddy Fletcher and Douglas, it's not something he (Shepherd) has been able to repeat since taking over other than when he appointed Bobby Robson, he's got the most important decision wrong on too many occasions to be allowed to keep on doing it.

I would then hope that the new chairman would re-structure the club and take it forwards, come up with a plan which set goals and go for it, Shepherd seems to have learned something with his latest appointment to the board but I've got no faith in him as chairman any more, I expect everything he does will turn to shit. 

A new manager would then be on the shopping list, somebody who we could look to and know we had a good chance of heading in the right direction again.  We were able to see something in Keegan and Sir Bobby, we knew they'd move hell and earth to bring success to the club, I guess we could have that same faith in Sir John, I don't have it in Shepherd or Roeder.

NE5 will probably take the piss out of this but we need to be financially sound, we're probably now seeing results of giving the wrong man too much money, the manager cocked up but so did the chairman when he appointed the manager in the first place.  Roeder has nothing in his record to suggest that he's capable of taking us anywhere close to where we should be, not by divine right but on the back of 50,000 who turn up most home games and pa extortionate prices for the privilege.  We pay "Rolls-Royce" admission fees so should be given "rolls-Royce" performances, both on the field and off it.

Newcastle United FC is underperforming in everything it does and that’s not good enough.  If people are happy to accept that then good, I’ll not and I don’t see why anybody should just because the odd person thinks that they should.  If some people are happy to accept shite then that’s the choice they’ve made, it’s not my choice and it shouldn’t be the choice of others.

shame that after all this time, you STILL don't see the point I make, and forgot the dozens of people on here - at least - who are, unlike me, urging the club to continue spending money like it is going out of existence - which is what the club almost did before the current board who saved it, but of course are no better than their predecessors in your opinion, who really did underperform and bankrupt the club

But you can continue thinking having one foot in the 3rd division is the same a playing in europe regularly if you like.

shame that after all this time, you STILL don't see the point I make, and forgot the dozens of people on here - at least - who are, unlike me, urging the club to continue spending money like it is going out of existence - which is what the club almost did before the current board who saved it, but of course are no better than their predecessors in your opinion, who really did underperform and bankrupt the club

But you can continue thinking having one foot in the 3rd division is the same a playing in europe regularly if you like.

It wasn't the current board who saved the club, you're wrong.  It was Sir John who covered loans and put some of his own money in.  Sir John has since taken his money back, and lots more.  He's no longer on the board and as far as I'm aware the only person who put anything into the club other than through investing in shares.

It wasn't the current board who saved the club, you're wrong.  It was Sir John who covered loans and put some of his own money in.  Sir John has since taken his money back, and lots more.  He's no longer on the board and as far as I'm aware the only person who put anything into the club other than through investing in shares.

well, I say that without Keegan he wouldn't have done it. And Keegan was not chosen as manager by Sir John, he was chosen by Hall Jnr, Shepherd and Fletcher. I am sure you are also aware that he also spouted on about the Geordie Nation rubbish that Shepherd is condemned for. So please explain the difference ?

Also, the current board has continued in the same vein, ie backing their managers, with him as the major shareholder ever since. So nothing has changed in that respect, other than we - including the major shareholder - has been unable to find a manager as good as Keegan.