What would it take to get the spark back?

mrmojorisin75

How did he not do better then ?

Shame we couldn't attract managers like Bobby Robson in their prime, when we had a board capable of attracting trophy winning managers - in your opinion - being no different to the current board.

I doubt very much that the major shareholder, with shares worth millions, would not have more than a significant input into an appointment as important as the most important person in the club. But you carry on thinking otherwise if you like or if it suits you.

You've asked how he didn't do better, who is he?  I've mentioned 5 names so you'll have to give a little pointer as to who you're referring to.

When have I ever referred to any board as being able to attract trophy winning managers?  By the way, Joe Harvey was a trophy winning manager, the last one we've had at the club.

You doubt very much that Sir John doesn't have more than a significant input, Shepherd moans that he's doing everything himself or words to that effect, I think he'll have a better idea than you.

How did he not do better then ?

Shame we couldn't attract managers like Bobby Robson in their prime, when we had a board capable of attracting trophy winning managers - in your opinion - being no different to the current board.

I doubt very much that the major shareholder, with shares worth millions, would not have more than a significant input into an appointment as important as the most important person in the club. But you carry on thinking otherwise if you like or if it suits you.

You've asked how he didn't do better, who is he?    I've mentioned 5 names so you'll have to give a little pointer as to who you're referring to.

When have I ever referred to any board as being able to attract trophy winning managers?  By the way, Joe Harvey was a trophy winning manager, the last one we've had at the club.

You doubt very much that Sir John doesn't have more than a significant input, Shepherd moans that he's doing everything himself or words to that effect, I think he'll have a better idea than you.

I think someone who has seen a shit board, knows one better than you too.

PS, if you wish to follow the highlight, read my response properly alongside your own ......

BTW...as you object to Shepherd not being a Geordie, why do you imply you would be happy with all these Hedge Fund people, and jersey based consortiums taking over the club ? And - to ask again - what is the difference between SJH spouting Geordie Nation bollocks and Shepherd spouting the same ?

Did you ever reply to your mate macbeth when he harped on about that oddball jock from the Post Office being chairman of the club, the one who has handed English footballer to the corporate supporter for the next 100 years and years of debt ?

If not, he isn't a geordie, what do you think of him, presumably as you are putting macbeths daft website in your sig to support his daft agenda, you do support such an appointment.

Fact is, you don't apply consistent standards, you are just jumping on the bandwagon - surprise surprise - again, last time it was the KK one, this time its the anti board one......the same board who attracted you back to the club.

Truthfully?

A hero. We have none. Whether that be a hero in the shape of a manager (SBR), a team (KK's) or a player (Shearer), or even a Chairman (SJH). Just someone we trust, believe in and can rely on, someone we can be proud of, someone to champion dare I say it. Someone who we can put our faith into to do the business on behalf of us the supporters and our club.

Again, we have none. Nowt to pin our shirt on, going to the match has become almost like a routine of duty, and nothing more. There is no real hope in the air, no real faith and no real belief in anything, from the Chairman to Roeder, down to Martins and even a spot-kick.

The mood in Toon under Souness was ugly, often on the edge ready to explode, today though there is just a great feeling of apathy and everything seems very routine, from turning up to booing if we draw or lose, to cheering if we win a fucking penalty.

Sadly, I can't see any on the horizon, not Owen, not Roeder and certainly nothing to be sprung on us by the board.

The feeling IMO mate, is that the bandwagon jumpers who jumped onto the KK bandwagon, are disappointed at no trophy coming as they expected, and are ready to jump off.

Good riddance to them is my take on it.

Truthfully?

A hero. We have none. Whether that be a hero in the shape of a manager (SBR), a team (KK's) or a player (Shearer), or even a Chairman (SJH). Just someone we trust, believe in and can rely on, someone we can be proud of, someone to champion dare I say it. Someone who we can put our faith into to do the business on behalf of us the supporters and our club.

Again, we have none. Nowt to pin our shirt on, going to the match has become almost like a routine of duty, and nothing more. There is no real hope in the air, no real faith and no real belief in anything, from the Chairman to Roeder, down to Martins and even a spot-kick.

The mood in Toon under Souness was ugly, often on the edge ready to explode, today though there is just a great feeling of apathy and everything seems very routine, from turning up to booing if we draw or lose, to cheering if we win a f****** penalty.

Sadly, I can't see any on the horizon, not Owen, not Roeder and certainly nothing to be sprung on us by the board.

The feeling IMO mate, is that the bandwagon jumpers who jumped onto the KK bandwagon, are disappointed at no trophy coming as they expected, and are ready to jump off.

Absolutely spot on. Couldn't agree more with all of that.

I think someone who has seen a s*** board, knows one better than you too.

What are you on about now?  You really are a sad old man, you think you know more than anybody, get a life.

PS, if you wish to follow the highlight, read my response properly alongside your own ......

I haven't got a clue what you're on about, do you even know?

BTW...as you object to Shepherd not being a Geordie, why do you imply you would be happy with all these Hedge Fund people, and jersey based consortiums taking over the club ? And - to ask again - what is the difference between SJH spouting Geordie Nation bollocks and Shepherd spouting the same ?

You're wrong again, I couldn't care less if he's not a Geordie, I just wish he'd stop claiming to be one.  Why does Shepherd feel he needs to tell people what he got up to in the playground?  If he's trying to look hard then he needs to grow up.  He'll only impress people like you and to be honest it would appear that you'd be impressed by anything he says or does anyway.  Also, I've never claimed that I "would be happy with all these hedge funds from Jersey," you do understand that The Belgravia Group are not a Hedge Fund, don't you?

Did you ever reply to your mate macbeth when he harped on about that oddball jock from the Post Office being chairman of the club, the one who has handed English footballer to the corporate supporter for the next 100 years and years of debt ?

If not, he isn't a geordie, what do you think of him, presumably as you are putting macbeths daft website in your sig to support his daft agenda, you do support such an appointment.

I don't think I did reply to Macbeth, I wasn't really bothered one way or another about what he said, I don't reply to every post on here.

Fact is, you don't apply consistent standards, you are just jumping on the bandwagon - surprise surprise - again, last time it was the KK one, this time its the anti board one......the same board who attracted you back to the club.

You should seek help, you are totally clueless, is it an age thing?  It's strange that you mention words like fact, you odviously don't even know the meaning of the word.

The board (whoever you view is being responsible within that, for me it is Freddie Shepherd, Douglas Hall, Bruce Shepherd, Alison Hall and Tim Revill) has managed the club into a corner. The amount of money coming in to the club is in decline:

http://www.nufc-finances.org.uk/gates210.gif

meanwhile the amount of money leaving the club is shooting up:

http://www.nufc-finances.org.uk/payrol4.gif

Back in 1998 when the club were floated the new shareholders put in a huge wedge of cash that has now gone. There is now no spare cash around, we are losing £1m per mon th, we can never get the spark of a trophy signing to lift spirits, if that is what some view as an answer to the lack of buzz.

There is no opportunity to entice an 'exciting' manager as they are liable to be looking for a transfer fund of some sort. This was why Roeder got the job, he was here, wouldn't complain about lack of funds, and was grateful to have somehow managed to get to manage at this level.

If money is the key then somehow we need fresh cash put in. The only money coming in to the club in the last 9 years has been from fans be it season tickets, shirts, or out money going to Sky. Gate receipts are fairly flat (http://www.nufc-finances.org.uk/gates26.gif) so there is really not much that can be gained there. The only fresh cash seems to be the wedge Sky is giving everyone fomr next year. The thing is EVERY side is getting that, it is of no specific advantage to us at all. If we want fresh cash we need fresh shareholders, or the existing ones to put money in for the fist time in 9 years. (That means ALL shareholders, not just Halls and Shepherds !)

I can't see money solving it though. As others have mentioned it would probably go on a trophy signing. A very good short term buzz, except I'm not even sure we'd fall for that again. We're getting old and cynical, not getting anything useful at all out of the last trophy signing means all subsequents ones are going to be viewed less favourably.

So if not money, then what ?

The Keegan buzz didn't come from money. The key was style of football. If we suddenly started playing fast-passing, totally attack minded football THAT would get a buzz going. We look to have the players to do that, but we don''t do it. We should be playing with the carefree style of Arsenal's kids. If we had that outlook then the crowd would be going berserk to get in and support. Somewhere we decide not to do that. SOme where we decided to play safe, change tactics to accomodate the perceived strengths of even the most mediocre of opposition. We seem to want to worry about the opponents more than have them worry about us. Milner and Zog (or whoever) should be at full pelt chasing through passes, giving fullbakcs a hellish time. When they get their centres in their shoudl be two forwards plus two others piling into the area. Opponents would be petrified of us rather than the other way around. Even Reading seem to want to do this more than us.

Our recent respectful apporoach to 'poor teams' like Fulham, Wigan, Boro, West Ham has got us two points. We shoudl be sending out our teams to play with freedom to sweep away thes eteams. Let them worry. Maybe we'd not win every game, but it'd be fun, would lift the crowd, would get the buzz going.

If we play this way then the heroes will emerge. If we were playing an attacking style then Martins would be getting more chances, would be scoring more goals (hopefully!) and he would be the new big hero. Milner may have scwored more if he was playing further forward rather than impressing as a winger who covers brilliantly for his fullbacks.

It easy to try, and very cheap  :rolleyes:

Pathetic, you do realise that the bandwagon you referred to ended something like 10 years ago, maybe you didn't.

Pathetic, you do realise that the bandwagon you referred to ended something like 10 years ago, maybe you didn't.

Thank you for the insight into the bandwagon jumpers take on fans who will stick with the club, like they did before

Nice to see you think the bandwagon ended 10 years ago, you must mean they have stuck around since because the shite board has gave them something worth " supporting " then ? Unlike the board you defend, who ran the club when we had crowds of 15,000, that you think is "the same as ....... "

Thank you for the insight into the bandwagon jumpers take on fans who will stick with the club, like they did before

Nice to see you think the bandwagon ended 10 years ago, you must mean they have stuck around since because the s**** board has gave them something worth " supporting " then ? Unlike the board you defend, who ran the club when we had crowds of 15,000, that you think is "the same as ....... "

:sleepy2:

Whatever, I suppose that makes sense to you and that's all that matters.

I think someone who has seen a s*** board, knows one better than you too.

What are you on about now?  You really are a sad old man, you think you know more than anybody, get a life.

I haven't got a clue what you're on about, do you even know?

You're wrong again, I couldn't care less if he's not a Geordie, I just wish he'd stop claiming to be one.  Why does Shepherd feel he needs to tell people what he got up to in the playground?  If he's trying to look hard then he needs to grow up.  He'll only impress people like you and to be honest it would appear that you'd be impressed by anything he says or does anyway.  Also, I've never claimed that I "would be happy with all these hedge funds from Jersey," you do understand that The Belgravia Group are not a Hedge Fund, don't you?

I don't think I did reply to Macbeth, I wasn't really bothered one way or another about what he said, I don't reply to every post on here.

You should seek help, you are totally clueless, is it an age thing?  It's strange that you mention words like fact, you odviously don't even know the meaning of the word.

Don't I ? Here are some facts for you :

The first 10 years after we got promoted in 1965 finished like this

15th, 20th, 10th, 9th, 7th, 12th, 11th, 9th, 15th, 15th

the next 10 read

15th, 5th, 21st, Div2, Div2, Div2, Div2, Div2,Div2, 14th

The next years, up to 1992, and the current board taking over.

11th, 17th, 8th, 20th, Div2, Div2, Div2,

The last 10 seasons

2nd, 13th, 13th, 11th, 11th, 4th, 3rd, 5th, 14th, 7th

England internationals or other high quality current internationals bought during the first 3 periods = Nil.

England Internationals or other high quality current internationals bought during the 4th = you tell me, a canny few.

I'll leave it to yourself to work out for yourself the impact of buying England and major quality internationals during the last decade, rather than selling them as in the previous periods.

Spot the shit board, running the shit club, getting shit results, although you think "they are the same" ....... HOHO.........

Nice to see you think the bandwagon ended 10 years ago, you must mean they have stuck around since because the s**** board has gave them something worth " supporting " then ? Unlike the board you defend, who ran the club when we had crowds of 15,000, that you think is "the same as ....... "

:sleepy2:

Whatever, I suppose that makes sense to you and that's all that matters.

its designed to make sense to people who supported the club when they were shit, therefore I didn't think you would understand.

Think this is the first time I have looked at this thread but as soon as I saw who the main people were replying I knew exactly what had happened. You guys not get bored of turning every thread into the same argument? Before anyone gets paranoid with the "he started it" bollocks im talking to everyone.

Think this is the first time I have looked at this thread but as soon as I saw who the main people were replying I knew exactly what had happened. You guys not get bored of turning every thread into the same argument? Before anyone gets paranoid with the "he started it" bollocks im talking to everyone.

Touché.

Guest BooBoo

I love it when HTL backs up the posts of his brother.

I bet he fights on his behalf too down the old farts home!

:rockyII:

I love it when you copy and paste the comments of your sisters  ;D

Hang on a minute, why are the tables (facts) nonsense, but the finishes (facts) are not nonsense?

Is that not rather contradictory?

what tables are they mate ?

I love it when you copy and paste the comments of your sisters  ;D

Trrrrrrrrrm tssssssss! :boomboom:

Hang on a minute, why are the tables (facts) nonsense, but the finishes (facts) are not nonsense?

The tables posted by macbeth (based on official club financial statements) that he commented on, duly dismissed by HTL.

Lovely.

I made one mention of Crozier, and it is now in the NE5 list of facts as me having  "harped on". Just can't make it up sometimes !

If you concern is the state Crozier left English football in financially, you need to be very careful if you think Shepherd/the NUFC board are better. Losing £1m a month isn't really very good. Crozier picked Sven, Shepherd picked Souness. Difficult to defend either I would have thought.

What do you think Shepherd's thinking is behind appointing the new CEO, particulartly one with such a strong financial background when we haven't needed anyone like that for 9 years as a PLC, and as you suggest Sheperd has done such a good job anyway?

Mean while back on topic ....

As this was originally a question about how to get the buzz back what do you (NE5) see as the answer? Or do you feel we are all just being miserable buggers who should be thankful for what we have? Why do you feel so many people feel down about the football when you have showed so clearly they've never had it so good? Is it just that peopel who have only been going for 15 years or so just don't appreciate? So essentially anyone under 30 is just prone to lack of knowledge?

how to get the buzz back...i think it is with us,the fans.

there was more of a buzz under previous regimes,but since souness there has been nothing but cynicism to the point of spite.

in the past all of the "bigger" clubs have gone through shite times,the fans have still backed them at the turnstiles and vocally,we have dropped off vocally.

being honest when i say "bigger clubs" i mean man utd and liverpool

(arsenal at the time without wenger ???? chelsea without abramovic)

"not just our old boards were worse, but unless you haven't bothered to wake up in the real world, the vast majority of present day ones in the country are too. Unless we haven't actually qualified for europe more than everyone else bar 4 clubs. Oh, I must have made that up.

Wait a moment, I haven't.

Who exactly do you see that has came forward and shown the desire and ability to do better ?

As for England. If you do not see the worth of a club buying current big England players, and think a club that buys such players is s****, then - as I said - you would not understand REAL apathy and mediocrity, if it hit you on the head with a rusty hammer. "

woah, seems like we're getting somewhere, so:

i take your point about ALL boards actually and it's an interesting one - i'd counter it, however, like i did the last time and say that football has never been so money oriented and a shift in the type of board you'll get in that case is inevitable...i'm not necessarily convinced that current boards are better, just that the amount of finances within the game mask their deficiencies much better than in the past

you're right about no-one appearing to come along that's looks a strong candidate in the terms we want - but we're currently run by an ex-scrap merchant or whatever it was he did (whether or not he's a geordie is irrelevant) and for me if an outside company with a proven history of finacial success wanted to come in and take the club over then i'd argue things would likely get better more than they'd get worse....they'd realise that success on the field and stability in the club is the main driver to them making money in a correct fashion rather than increasing the clubs debt through a series of poor decisions and appointments

i take it by current big england players you mean scott parker and kieron dyer - neither is a regular england starter and kieron dyer, frankly, is an utter travesty of a man and a footballer; a cancer that needs to be cut from the club....and by the way i'd never say NUFC was sh!t, thanks

do me a favour and answer the original question 'cause it wasn't about the board as such - do you accept that watching NUFC currently is beyond boring?  the football is terrible and through a variety of other factors (primarily the top four being so far in advance of everyone else, ill feeling toward the current board RIGHTLY OR WRONGLY) all we have to look forward to each season is a possible 6th place finish for the forseeable future....all of these things combined, some might suggest, could create feelings of apathy and despondancy for the supporters regardless of how apathetic and despondant they were 20 years ago?

I can't be bothered to sort your quotes out, but :

Newcastle United has ALWAYS had the potential to generate more money than the vast majority of clubs, so perhaps you could tell us why we have only attempted to do this since 1992 ?

If you fail to grasp the significance of buying quality, England players, as against not, which most clubs don't and we ourselves used to sell them instead, then there is nothing else to say I'm afraid.

Football is littered with successful businessmen who have failed in football through thinking they can run it like a high street store. This club is one of the top "businesses" in its field, I presume this escapes you, in fact it is obvious that it does. If you want to compare it to the high street, then do so, but you can't take the bits that suit you and ignore the rest, because the simple fact is if you ran one of the biggest "businesses" in your field in the country, you would not be harping on about "failure" and all this other indecipherable and unrealistic nonsense.

We all want to be number 1. What is your criteria for finding and appointing the new Alex Ferguson, which is the only way we can do it ?

Finally, if you think the football is "boring", then I think you need to accept that very few teams play "entertaining football" week in week out, and it doesn't guarantee success either. Believe me, losing every week, seeing your team get nowhere near qualifying for europe, selling your best players and knowing you will not replace them with anything other than rubbish from the lower leagues,  and knowing you have no chance of winning anything, is far more boring.

BA HA HA

you're a quaint little man aren't you?  sort my quotes out - you mean that ONE quote i made in my last post?  must've been an absolute nightmare for you to sort out eh?

as it happens i've actually taken on board some of what you said during this and other posts - you're right when you say that a sense of perspective can give you a different outlook and it obviously does for you; when you compare our history like you do to the present then we should be praising the gods at the situation we find ourselves in, but life just isn't like that is it?  as time has gone by expectations have been raised and now when we fail to meet them we feel it all the more

the song used to be "the kids are united" but you're slating people here who maybe weren't old enough to see the sh!te you happened see - well that's great isn't it?  you and your dancing clown HTL can call them ALL bandwagon jumpers and send them off to support other clubs then...what sort of a message that is?  we should have an age limit on the season tickets perhaps? (i'll resist the urge to crack the 'X' rated football gag here, ahem)  if we did that pal we'd see how well the club is being run without all the "bandwagon jumpers" cash week in week out

when we were bouncing around divisions and fighting relegations as you say there was no concept of having a keegan-esque team as we know it today (before you tell me about a better football playing NUFC team in the 1930's not all of us are privileged to be old enough to have seen football since time began, so point accepted don't bother) and playing in the champions league...as you say, directly attributed to whoever was in charge of the club

also, i never mentioned a high street at all so during the course of your "sorting out" my quotes you must have found a couple of bits and pieces to throw in there for me, thanks for the help there....and yes football IS littered with successful businessman who've failed at football and it's usually for 2 reasons: (1) they make an ar*e of the finances and/or (2) they get involved in football matters

depending on who you believe our chairman is guilty of #1 and if your bandwagon jumpers leave you'll soon see he'll be the new peter ridsdale for #2

THE POINT I WAS MAKING IS THAT IN MY OPINION SHEPHERD IS NOT QUALIFIED TO RUN A BUSINESS THE SIZE AND MORE IMPORTANTLY STATURE THAT NUFC IS - NEITHER WERE THE PEOPLE YOU KEEP REFERRING TO IN OUR PREVIOUS BOARDS SO WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE?  sorry for the capitals but hopefully you'll read it....i refer you to my many previous points about changes in the games finances as a whole for the reason shepherd is getting by without being found out

again i take your point about not all teams playing entertaining football (see what i'm doing here?  directly addressing you point by point!!) but then why should it not be something we aspire to?  reading have just been promoted and play far, far, far more attractive football than us for what it probably cost to buy luque....villa are no better than us points wise but whenever i see them they can string two passes together and seem to have a gameplan and a way they want to play....against 'boro last weekend it looked like it was the first time some of our players had even SEEN a football so bad was the quality of play

by the way do you play rugby?  'cause the sidestep you made in dodging my direct question about YOUR opinion of how boring or not boring the football is these days was worthy of the six nations (you'd know it as the five nations still obviously)

as countless other people have pointed out you are living in the past and fail to accept that football has changed beyond recognition from the days of mckeag etc...  that your expections remain mired down with them tells it's own story my friend

The tables posted by macbeth (based on official club financial statements) that he commented on, duly dismissed by HTL.

Eh?

When did I say the daft tables posted by macbeth weren't facts? That is what you're really dripping about, isn't it? I accept something as fact but not something else?

Here's the deal. macbeth posted facts, NE5 posted facts. They both tell a story but only one of them tells the story the poster claims it is telling.

The facts posted by NE5 tell the story that previous boards were inferior to the current one, these facts ignored by many. Based on these facts an opinion has consequently been formed that it is possible for us to once again have a board like previous boards should the present one go. However, this is deemed to be impossible by the some, who dismiss events of the past as of no consequence.

The facts posted by macbeth do not tell the story he portrays, what they tell is the story of his envy of Fred agend and they tell the story of one poor managerial appointment made not by Fred, but by the entire board. He continually ignores this, which I why I dismmissed his charts as nonsense. They do not say what he has in the past claimed they say.

Understand?