Newcastle 4 - 2 AZ Alkmaar - Post Match Thoughts

Dave

Just been looking through the pics (you may have gathered) and this isn't clever:

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/7603/73524425bq4.jpg

No wonder their players got there first. :(

Luck at that lazy b****** Butt, just standing there watching. Send him to Birmingham or somewhere ;)

It seems that Butt and Dyer doesent give a shit about NUFC, and should be sold.

Guest Fetai

I, for one, think that AZ will make the 2 goals they need to go to the next round. I have seen all AZ's matches and I personally think the worst match they played of the whole year was against Newcastle United. As a Dutch foreign student in Newcastle, I hope Newcastle will make it to the next rounds, but I wish AZ the best of luck as well (sorry 'bout that  :buck2:). In my humble opinion AZ is one of the best teams left in the UEFA Cup and they will not have any problem to score the 2 goals in the home match, but their problem will be the fact that it is very likely that Newcastle United will score a goal against them, as their defence is not very solid. However, I think AZ will make it, because they have never lost a home match in an European tournament. We will see how it will turn out.

I, for one, think that AZ will make the 2 goals they need to go to the next round. I have seen all AZ's matches and I personally think the worst match they played of the whole year was against Newcastle United. As a Dutch foreign student in Newcastle, I hope Newcastle will make it to the next rounds, but I wish AZ the best of luck as well (sorry 'bout that  :buck2:). In my humble opinion AZ is one of the best teams left in the UEFA Cup and they will not have any problem to score the 2 goals in the home match, but their problem will be the fact that it is very likely that Newcastle United will score a goal against them, as their defence is not very solid. However, I think AZ will make it, because they have never lost a home match in an European tournament. We will see how it will turn out.

They don't have to lose to go out, though. That said, I'm strangely confident that we have an excellent chance of going out there and putting that record to bed.

They don't have to lose to go out, though. That said, I'm strangely confident that we have an excellent chance of going out there and putting that record to bed.

it would be the newcastle thing to do,had they never won a home game in europe,then that would be a cert.it's the newcastle way...contrary fc.

Guest AZsupporters

The trip to Newcastle was nice! Although the 4-2 defeat was a bit dissapointing :undecided:, I think we'll still have a good chance to make it through to the next round!

For pictures from our side, check www.azsupporters.nl! See ya 15 March!

Guest emre5

I watched the game against fener and from what I saw they play attacking football and they attack as a team, so they're open to lots of counter attacks. Fenerbahce couldn't finish Az off which they could've done so easily, but they allowed em to come back into the game. With the way AZ play they'll always concede a goal or two, so I think the toon should go thru without too much hassle.

Guest magpies_rawk

i agree with emre and the optimists that this tie is very much in our hands. a 2 goal advantage, albeit the silly 2 away goals conceded should be enpugh to see us through. the important thing is to makes sure we do not concede early and if so, the pressure might just get to the dutch the longer the game drags on.

Just...drop the bugger Carr, easily the worst left/right back to grace the premiership.

Guest anthony118

Just...drop the bugger Carr, easily the worst left/right back to grace the premiership.

True - I don't see what's to be gained from putting him back in - Nobby has proved himself to be a far better right back than Carr is, and I think Milner has more to offer on the wing than Nobby does now (as long as his crossing is up to scratch which it hasn't quite been recently).

The tie is very much ours to lose - we're 2 goals up, we'll have had a week off to prepare for the away leg - but if they score the first goal the team could get very nervous as they did after AZ scored their second on Thursday.

Guest AZsupporters

AZSupporters,

Do you like Quayside?

The Quayside and it's buildings/bridges looked nice, especially the view from our appartment. But I didn't like the altitude differences of the roads, I'm not used to that in Holland, hehe! ;) Rosie's Bar and Shearer's were nice too and the people of Newcastle were very friendly  O0 Too bad we had a dramatic first 30 mins of the game, I also expected a little more fans but Martins is really a superb player! Anyway, we all are still confident that we can make 2 goals in Alkmaar, although the odds are in your favor now..

AZSupporters,

Do you like Quayside?

The Quayside and it's buildings/bridges looked nice, especially the view from our appartment. But I didn't like the altitude differences of the roads, I'm not used to that in Holland, hehe! ;) Rosie's Bar and Shearer's were nice too and the people of Newcastle were very friendly  O0 Too bad we had a dramatic first 30 mins of the game, I also expected a little more fans but Martins is really a superb player! Anyway, we all are still confident that we can make 2 goals in Alkmaar, although the odds are in your favor now..

Good to hear...  :thup:

AZsupporters - what was the result and performance like against Fayenoord this weekend?

Guest Fetai
Good to hear...  :thup:

AZsupporters - what was the result and performance like against Fayenoord this weekend?

0-0... (NOTE: AZ is playing in red and Feyenoord is playing in blue)

http://img11.picsplace.to/img10/22/kans.gif

http://img11.picsplace.to/img10/22/Geitenneuker.gif

http://img12.picsplace.to/img12/1/AZschotje.gif

http://img11.picsplace.to/img10/22/charineus.gif

http://img12.picsplace.to/img12/1/buijs.gif

http://img6.picsplace.to/img6/26/pierre.gif

http://img11.picsplace.to/img10/22/boukhari.gif

http://xs313.xs.to/xs313/07100/boukhari2.gif

http://img11.picsplace.to/img10/22/harry2.gif

http://img6.picsplace.to/img6/26/arve1.gif

http://img6.picsplace.to/img6/26/eigendoel.gif

Guest MaartenTheMagicianMartens

Newcastle owned us in the first half. 3-0 in the first half hour... I was shocked. But it has to be said that we (AZ) didn't play as well as we normally do. The penalty wasn't a penaly. The way Moussa missed the penalty and rebound just showed how bad we played that night. The worst player on our side was Boukhari. Shota hasn't been very good lately too. It seems like Louis van Gaal has some kind of fued with Maarten Martens. Martens always plays good, but gets subtituted a lot or starts on the bench. This all happened after Martens said something in an interview after the Fenerbahce game... I still think we can beat you this thursday. We scored two goals versus Fenerbahce in one half when we needed to and I think we can do it again, if not more  :tongue:.

About the Feyenoord game, we played 0-0. First half we played very well, lots of chances but no goal. Second half we created two big chances and still no goal.

If we don't advance this thursday, I wish you guys all the best.

Newcastle owned us in the first half. 3-0 in the first half hour... I was shocked. But it has to be said that we (AZ) didn't play as well as we normally do. The penalty wasn't a penaly. The way Moussa missed the penalty and rebound just showed how bad we played that night. The worst player on our side was Boukhari. Shota hasn't been very good lately too. It seems like Louis van Gaal has some kind of fued with Maarten Martens. Martens always plays good, but gets subtituted a lot or starts on the bench. This all happened after Martens said something in an interview after the Fenerbahce game... I still think we can beat you this thursday. We scored two goals versus Fenerbahce in one half when we needed to and I think we can do it again, if not more  :tongue:.

About the Feyenoord game, we played 0-0. First half we played very well, lots of chances but no goal. Second half we created two big chances and still no goal.

If we don't advance this thursday, I wish you guys all the best.

Cheers mate. O0

What did you think of us as a team? Which of our players stood out for you?

As someone posted before.

AZ Alkmaar European Uefa Cup Home Record 2006/07:

Kayserispor (h) won 3-2

Braga (h) won 3-2

Liberec (h) drew 2-2

Fenerbahce (h) drew 2-2

Interesting stats i thought.

you have conceded 2 goals EVERY time you have played at Home in the Uefa Cup this season, against the likes of (Karserispor?, Braga, Liberec and Fernabache) and also not kept a clean sheet in this seasons Uefa Cup.

so do you think your team AZ Alkmaar will be able to keep the clean sheet you will proberly need on Thursday?

Dutch fans are good lads... Dont get much garbage posted on forums from them, like we have certain other Euro teams.

Been to Holland a fair few times, and got some good Dutch mates from uni. IMO the Dutch are the closest to English in terms of culture etc

Cheers mate. O0

What did you think of us as a team? Which of our players stood out for you?

First half I think you guys played wonderful. I read on this forum that it was one of Newcastle's best games of this season, if not the best. I thought the NC defense wasn't that strong, but because of AZ's weak effort we only scored two goals (well, actually one). Martins stood out the most for me, he was a real big threat for the AZ defense. We gave him too much space though.

And like I said, don't celebrate yet. Because I think AZ still has a chance to advance.

Kayserispor (h) won 3-2

Braga (h) won 3-2

Liberec (h) drew 2-2

Fenerbahce (h) drew 2-2

you have conceded 2 goals EVERY time you have played at Home in the Uefa Cup this season, against the likes of (Karserispor?, Braga, Liberec and Fernabache) and also not kept a clean sheet in this seasons Uefa Cup.

so do you think your team AZ Alkmaar will be able to keep the clean sheet you will proberly need on Thursday?

No. That's why we have to score three or four goals, lol.

Kayserispor (h) won 3-2

Braga (h) won 3-2

Liberec (h) drew 2-2

Fenerbahce (h) drew 2-2

No. That's why we have to score three or four goals, lol.

Interesting thats what i think also.

However I have to say i was very impressed by your teams Attacking movement and passing, Boukhari roming off the Left and Martens roming from Attacking midfield and Jenner on the Right all looked good Attacking players, AZ weakness for me is when your patient passing and attacking moves where broken up your Midfield were not prepared to track back and left De Zeeuw your holder and passer and back 4 with way way too much to do.

I think its going to be a fantastic game on Thursday night.

Guest smoggeordie

I love the fact people think we're going to score a couple away from home when we've quite blatently been shit away all season.

I love the fact people think we're going to score a couple away from home when we've quite blatently been s*** away all season.

We've done alright in europe away from home, i can see us getting a goal or two as long as we don't try to park the bus and play 4-5-1.