Newcastle 4 - 2 AZ Alkmaar - Post Match Thoughts

Dave

I think we'll score over there, assuming Martins plays, so i think we can go through.

They weren't a great team, i don't think, not as good as i was expecting. Clearly at home they are going to be a different prospect, and i fear what they can do to crap like Carr, but its ours to lose now.

I think we'll score over there, assuming Martins plays, so i think we can go through.

They weren't a great team, i don't think, not as good as i was expecting. Clearly at home they are going to be a different prospect, and i fear what they can do to crap like Carr, but its ours to lose now.

I watched them play Ajax the other week and despite Davids getting sent off for Ajax i thought Ajax were the much better team, The game ended 1-1 but tbf to Ajax they were hard done by

Like others have said - go out, score the early goal and the tie is over.  So long as we play as positively in Holland as we did in the first half today then we should go through easily.  Just trying not to think about Sporting Lisbon...

I think they showed at 3-0 down that us scoring the first goal over there won't kill the tie. They can beat us 3-1, they can beat us 2-0. Those 2 daft goals we conceded are killers.

Just how was that two daft goals? First one was an excellent move and a brilliant finish from them, the second was just unlucky, Taylor clearly held his hand as close to his body as possible and can't be blamed for that penalty.

Taylor lost his man and was ball watching for the first goal, sod the good move business, he should have done better. For the second he was too far away from his man again, he should have been closer.

I'm surprised there's not been more anger about the penalty. That second goal has completely changed the complexion of the tie. They wouldn't have fancied their chances of pulling back a three goal deficit, but a 2-0 or 3-1 home win is a very realistic target for them.

Normally those decisions where a cross hits a defender on the hand when he's closing the ball down, are very difficult to assess. But short of putting his hands behind his back, Taylor couldn't have done more to keep his hands away, and that was very, very obvious. You accept that refs are bound to make a few mistakes, but that was just incompetent.

It was given because although he had his hands down he was too far away from the player, the ref would have judged he had time to get his hand out of the way. He should have been closer.

From .com

AZ European Record 2006/07:

Kayserispor (h) won 3-2

Kayserispor (a) drew 1-1

Braga (h) won 3-2

Grasshoppers (a) won 5-2

Liberec (h) drew 2-2

Sevilla (a) won 2-1

Fenerbahce (a) drew 3-3

Fenerbahce (h) drew 2-2

Newcastle (a) lost 2-4

Their defence is much shitter than I realised, even at home.

But that's in the past. It doesn't count.

Like others have said - go out, score the early goal and the tie is over.  So long as we play as positively in Holland as we did in the first half today then we should go through easily.  Just trying not to think about Sporting Lisbon...

I think they showed at 3-0 down that us scoring the first goal over there won't kill the tie. They can beat us 3-1, they can beat us 2-0. Those 2 daft goals we conceded are killers.

Just how was that two daft goals? First one was an excellent move and a brilliant finish from them, the second was just unlucky, Taylor clearly held his hand as close to his body as possible and can't be blamed for that penalty.

Taylor lost his man and was ball watching for the first goal, sod the good move business, he should have done better. For the second he was too far away from his man again, he should have been closer.

I think it was Butt that was tracking him then let him arrive in the box late, not Taylor

From .com

AZ European Record 2006/07:

Kayserispor (h) won 3-2

Kayserispor (a) drew 1-1

Braga (h) won 3-2

Grasshoppers (a) won 5-2

Liberec (h) drew 2-2

Sevilla (a) won 2-1

Fenerbahce (a) drew 3-3

Fenerbahce (h) drew 2-2

Newcastle (a) lost 2-4

Their defence is much shitter than I realised, even at home.

interesting stats

they have conceded 2 goals EVERY time they have played at Home in the Uefa Cup this season, against the likes of (Karserispor?, Braga, Liberec and Fernabache) and also not kept a clean sheet in this seasons Uefa Cup.

there is no doubt in my mind we will score at least 2 away goals.

i think we have a big big chance of going through after last nights impressive performance and result.

Kieron Dyer and Obafemi Martins are the key players in the Away tie it will be interesting to see whether Roeder decides to change it and go with them two up top for the Away tie.

Guest Knightrider

We have a full week to iron out any problems we caused ourselves last night, and problems they caused us, if we do that and the team is prepared right, we'll go through IMO.

I really hope that we don't go out there hoping to play for a 0-0, we all know what's likely to happen if we go into the game in that frame of mind, but if we go and play our normal game we should be ok, my worry comes from the fear that we won't.

I think it was Butt that was tracking him then let him arrive in the box late, not Taylor

Taylor was ball watching not 2 feet away in actual fact.

When a player arrives in the box late like he did there it's up to a midfielder to track him, Butt was doing this up unitl the point where he decided to charge towards the ball. And Bramble was right next to the guy, much closer than Taylor, why is no one blaming him?

When a player arrives in the box late like he did there it's up to a midfielder to track him, Butt was doing this up unitl the point where he decided to charge towards the ball. And Bramble was right next to the guy, much closer than Taylor, why is no one blaming him?

Maybe that's because Bramble was marking someone, Taylor was doing nowt.

From the replay(just watched it on youtube) it looks like Bramble is marking the guy that scored, he was right next to him, why isn't he getting blamed?

Guest Knightrider

Actually, Taylor was doing the correct thing in that situation, holding his position in the centre of the box, a position all good defenders take up in order to cover themselves. For example, if Taylor raced to the near post and the ball went long, he'd never make up the ground, likewise if he was placed at the back post and the ball was sent into the near post. By being in a central fixed position, he halved the distance to the far and near post and as most balls go into that spot, his positioning would mean 9 times out of 10 he would be able to cover it or clear it. As the centre-back or first man back, his job was to hold his position, it was Butt or Parker's job to track the runner, and Bramble's job to close down the man on the ball as he was closest to him.

Anyway, I think the mistake was in actually losing the ball in the first place and not preventing the cross coming in, not the execution of what was a well worked and fine hard to defend against goal from a runner into the box after the perfect "just head me" ball. We were badly exposed and it is this that Roeder will work on in training and take issue with, and not Taylor's correct positioning. Team shape I think they call it.

From the replay(just watched it on youtube) it looks like Bramble is marking the guy that scored, he was right next to him, why isn't he getting blamed?

Because what you've said is a lie, he was not marking him he was marking the other player. Arveladze scores from right in front of Taylor (who isn't marking anyone) and at the start of his run he was being covered by Butt (who let him go), you can blame either of those two if you feel the need, but to try and put the blame on Titus is complete and utter bollocks!!

Just been looking through the pics (you may have gathered) and this isn't clever:

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/7603/73524425bq4.jpg

No wonder their players got there first. :(

Because what you've said is a lie, he was not marking him he was marking the other player. Arveladze scores from right in front of Taylor (who isn't marking anyone) and at the start of his run he was being covered by Butt (who let him go), you can blame either of those two if you feel the need, but to try and put the blame on Titus is complete and utter bollocks!!

Taylor was staying out on the right in case the ball went through, there was another unmarked AZ player out there. I'm NOT blaming Bramble, i'm blaming Butt because he stopped tracking him and went chasing the ball, i'm saying Taylor is no more to blame than Bramble. :thup:

Guest Knightrider

Just watched it again, it was Butt's mistake, he was ball watching. Bramble can't really be faulted because he was with another player and while Taylor is standing marking no-one, his job is to hold the central position to deal with the ball should it come his way, or to cover the back post.