Newcastle 4 - 2 AZ Alkmaar - Post Match Thoughts

Dave

Like others have said - go out, score the early goal and the tie is over.  So long as we play as positively in Holland as we did in the first half today then we should go through easily.  Just trying not to think about Sporting Lisbon...

I think they showed at 3-0 down that us scoring the first goal over there won't kill the tie. They can beat us 3-1, they can beat us 2-0. Those 2 daft goals we conceded are killers.

Just how was that two daft goals? First one was an excellent move and a brilliant finish from them, the second was just unlucky, Taylor clearly held his hand as close to his body as possible and can't be blamed for that penalty.

Taylor lost his man and was ball watching for the first goal, sod the good move business, he should have done better. For the second he was too far away from his man again, he should have been closer.

I think it was Butt that was tracking him then let him arrive in the box late, not Taylor

Taylor was ball watching not 2 feet away in actual fact.

When a player arrives in the box late like he did there it's up to a midfielder to track him, Butt was doing this up unitl the point where he decided to charge towards the ball. And Bramble was right next to the guy, much closer than Taylor, why is no one blaming him?

Maybe that's because Bramble was marking someone, Taylor was doing nowt.

From the replay(just watched it on youtube) it looks like Bramble is marking the guy that scored, he was right next to him, why isn't he getting blamed?

Because what you've said is a lie, he was not marking him he was marking the other player. Arveladze scores from right in front of Taylor (who isn't marking anyone) and at the start of his run he was being covered by Butt (who let him go), you can blame either of those two if you feel the need, but to try and put the blame on Titus is complete and utter bollocks!!

Taylor was staying out on the right in case the ball went through, there was another unmarked AZ player out there. I'm NOT blaming Bramble, i'm blaming Butt because he stopped tracking him and went chasing the ball, i'm saying Taylor is no more to blame than Bramble. :thup:

Why bring him into it at all?

Why not say Taylor is as much to blame as Shearer (for example) and why say that Bramble looked like he was marking Arveladze, when it's obvious he wasn't?

If you say what you said, it sounds distinctly like you ARE blaming Bramble, so in future when you're NOT blaming someone for something it might be a good idea NOT to mention their name. ;)

Anyway, I'm glad you're not blaming Titus for something he was not at fault for, hopefully you might start a trend. :)

Just watched it again, it was Butt's mistake, he was ball watching. Bramble can't really be faulted because he was with another player and while Taylor is standing marking no-one, his job is to hold the central position to deal with the ball should it come his way, or to cover the back post.

Get out! Nicky Butt does NOT makes mistakes (apparently). Even when he does, they get ignored.

Guest Knightrider

Just watched it again, it was Butt's mistake, he was ball watching. Bramble can't really be faulted because he was with another player and while Taylor is standing marking no-one, his job is to hold the central position to deal with the ball should it come his way, or to cover the back post.

Get out! Nicky Butt does NOT makes mistakes (apparently). Even when he does, they get ignored.

Nope, he stops tracking his man, ball watches and then goes towards the ball, leaving Averladze a free run into the box and basically making up the crosser's mind where to send the ball. He's a good reader of the game though Butt, and his awareness is also spot on...

Like others have said - go out, score the early goal and the tie is over.  So long as we play as positively in Holland as we did in the first half today then we should go through easily.  Just trying not to think about Sporting Lisbon...

I think they showed at 3-0 down that us scoring the first goal over there won't kill the tie. They can beat us 3-1, they can beat us 2-0. Those 2 daft goals we conceded are killers.

Just how was that two daft goals? First one was an excellent move and a brilliant finish from them, the second was just unlucky, Taylor clearly held his hand as close to his body as possible and can't be blamed for that penalty.

Taylor lost his man and was ball watching for the first goal, sod the good move business, he should have done better. For the second he was too far away from his man again, he should have been closer.

I think it was Butt that was tracking him then let him arrive in the box late, not Taylor

Taylor was ball watching not 2 feet away in actual fact.

When a player arrives in the box late like he did there it's up to a midfielder to track him, Butt was doing this up unitl the point where he decided to charge towards the ball. And Bramble was right next to the guy, much closer than Taylor, why is no one blaming him?

Maybe that's because Bramble was marking someone, Taylor was doing nowt.

From the replay(just watched it on youtube) it looks like Bramble is marking the guy that scored, he was right next to him, why isn't he getting blamed?

Because what you've said is a lie, he was not marking him he was marking the other player. Arveladze scores from right in front of Taylor (who isn't marking anyone) and at the start of his run he was being covered by Butt (who let him go), you can blame either of those two if you feel the need, but to try and put the blame on Titus is complete and utter bollocks!!

Taylor was staying out on the right in case the ball went through, there was another unmarked AZ player out there. I'm NOT blaming Bramble, i'm blaming Butt because he stopped tracking him and went chasing the ball, i'm saying Taylor is no more to blame than Bramble. :thup:

Why bring him into it at all?

Why not say Taylor is as much to blame as Shearer (for example) and why say that Bramble looked like he was marking Arveladze, when it's obvious he wasn't?

If you say what you said, it sounds distinctly like you ARE blaming Bramble, so in future when you're NOT blaming someone for something it might be a good idea NOT to mention their name. ;)

Anyway, I'm glad you're not blaming Titus for something he was not at fault for, hopefully you might start a trend. :)

Bramble was a defender on the pitch last night, that's why i brought him into it. And you must have misinterrpreted my post as i always said Butt was to blame, all i asked was why people are having a go at Taylor when to me it's obvious he's no more to blame than Bramble. Not at one point did i say Bramble was to blame.  :thup:

Nope, he stops tracking his man, ball watches and then goes towards the ball, leaving Averladze a free run into the box and basically making up the crosser's mind where to send the ball. He's a good reader of the game though Butt, and his awareness is also spot on...

You're talking gibberish mate, it's a well known fact that you either blame Carr, Bramble or Parker when we concede a goal. You're not a proper Geordie if you don't.

Seriously, though, I thought Butt had a solid game yesterday, like everyone else on our side. Everyone can be forgiven for making the occasional error when there's so much good in the rest of their play. He ran himself into the ground, along with most of our team last night. I'm chuffed that we've got the weekend "off", because I'd seriously doubt our fitness capabilities if we had an FA Cup/League game in between these UEFA matches.

AZ have to play Feyenoord, don't they? Good news.

Guest Knightrider

Just been looking through the pics (you may have gathered) and this isn't clever:

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/7603/73524425bq4.jpg

No wonder their players got there first. :(

Luck at that lazy bastard Butt, just standing there watching. Send him to Birmingham or somewhere ;)

IIRC that goal came about because of the midfield losing all of it's shape as Dyer moved infield, Parker ended up towards the right and Butt moved along one slot to the right of centre.

I could be wrong here, but I remember thinking that we'd completely lost focus around the time of their opener.

Guest Knightrider

You're talking gibberish mate, it's a well known fact that you either blame Carr, Bramble or Parker when we concede a goal. You're not a proper Geordie if you don't.

Seriously, though, I thought Butt had a solid game yesterday, like everyone else on our side. Everyone can be forgiven for making the occasional error when there's so much good in the rest of their play. He ran himself into the ground, along with most of our team last night. I'm chuffed that we've got the weekend "off", because I'd seriously doubt our fitness capabilities if we had an FA Cup/League game in between these UEFA matches.

AZ have to play Feyenoord, don't they? Good news.

Aye, I thought everyone played well and it would be harsh to single out anyone for their mistakes, you could say they deserved their headed goal due to the fine play that preceeded it. And where do you start? Butt failed to track his man but who lost the ball before that, who failed to win it and so on and so on. This is a team game and the team are responsible for goals conceded unless an obviouys massive individual mistake leads to one, like pushing a player in the box, deliberate handball, or a poor backpass.

Luck at that lazy bastard Butt, just standing there watching. Send him to Birmingham or somewhere ;)

Honestly - they taught us at Sunday league to time a run to get in the box as the taker strikes the ball. Pros should know better than to stand still and see what happens.

Guest Knightrider

IIRC that goal came about because of the midfield losing all of it's shape as Dyer moved infield, Parker ended up towards the right and Butt moved along one slot to the right of centre.

I could be wrong here, but I remember thinking that we'd completely lost focus around the time of their opener.

Cruising I think they call it, I hate it when we are in that frame of mind, I like us being focused and concentrated, on our toes so to speak.

Guest andynufc84

Yes we did lose focus

AZ basically kept the ball better than us, they passed and passed and passed, eventually they created the opening

At 3-0 the play was with AZ, I was sitting there thinking, these are gonna score

Guest Knightrider

Honestly - they taught us at Sunday league to time a run to get in the box as the taker strikes the ball. Pros should know better than to stand still and see what happens.

Basic I know, and Butt should know better, but its easy to sit and criticise after the event I suppose, when during the heat of the battle, it is easier to get lost I imagine. I know when I played football, despite knowing what to do, what not to do, that didn't stop me from making basic errors.

Bramble was a defender on the pitch last night, that's why i brought him into it. And you must have misinterrpreted my post as i always said Butt was to blame, all i asked was why people are having a go at Taylor when to me it's obvious he's no more to blame than Bramble. Not at one point did i say Bramble was to blame.  :thup:

Wasn't it you who said:

Can you see why it might appear that you were saying Titus was to blame?

Wasn't it you who said:

I suppose i can see why someone might misinterpret that if they hadn't read the whole conversation.

Wasn't it you who said:

I suppose i can see why someone might misinterpret that if they hadn't read the whole conversation.

Ok, it must just be me misinterpreting it then. :lol:

It was funny when they showed that last night, Nobby's facial expressions were class. He starts off smiling then as Obs jumps towards him a kinda "Oh shit" type expression crosses his face, followed by a "thank god he didn't take my head off with his bollocks" type expression as oba comes back down to earth. Made me laugh anyway.

Just been looking through the pics (you may have gathered) and this isn't clever:

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/7603/73524425bq4.jpg

No wonder their players got there first. :(

Aye. They were both daft goals to concede and they'll be costly imo.

I think this a good, athletic and talented team who could pull these 2 goals back. We need to score a goal.

I don't blame anyone for the goals though, the penalty was one of those things and generally we defended OK. Its just that they are a good side.

Just to add my 2p to the great Alkmaar first goal controversy -

I did think that Duff could have made a better job of blocking the cross. He could have got that bit closer, but he stopped further away than he really needed to.

Not a terrible mistake seeing he's a winger, and he might not have been able to prevent the cross anyway, but that was my thought at the time.

Otherwise, I thought he had a good game.

I watched the entire match again this evening. I think our first half performance was probably as good as we've played for a year or more. I still think Parker was disappointing, and we definitely lost conhesion in the second half. Seemed to be a lot of tired players and sloppy passing. For the first AZ goal, it's a difficult one to apportion blame: I don't think Bramble could've done much, and even Taylor could be forgiven, I think, as it was a great diagonal run that was difficult for a CB heading towards goal to cover: a midfielder should've gone with him. Sometimes, you just have to hold your hands up and say they deserved to score.