Newcastle 4 - 2 AZ Alkmaar - Post Match Thoughts

Dave

In the second leg they have to attack and play really attacking

With the pace of Martins and Dyer we can finish them on counter attacks

We need to play solid at the back and to take our chances if we want to go through

Great game. Scored 4 goals for the first time since April last year when we beat the Mackems 4-1 and before then it was December when we beat West Ham 4-2 at Upton Park.

Whilst i agree the tie is still in the balance I can't believe how negative most of you are being, maybe we are just too used to messing things up!

They seem a very similar team to us, in that they are much stronger in attack then defence. And in particular their fullbacks seem very weak, we need to get at them as often as possible and with this in mind I think Sib has to play the second leg to make the most of any crosses we get in. I'd like to see Milner running at them, but unless he comes in for Duff I wouldnt change much.

Imagine we had lost the first leg away to them 4-2, would you all be confident that we would win the home leg 2-0? I can't see them keeping a clean sheet.

It was a good result, and we played very well - just a pity about their two goals which keeps the tie alive, because them winning 2-0 in the second leg and going through on away goals is entirely possible.

But we've still got a good advantage.

Like others have said - go out, score the early goal and the tie is over.  So long as we play as positively in Holland as we did in the first half today then we should go through easily.  Just trying not to think about Sporting Lisbon...

I think they showed at 3-0 down that us scoring the first goal over there won't kill the tie. They can beat us 3-1, they can beat us 2-0. Those 2 daft goals we conceded are killers.

Just how was that two daft goals? First one was an excellent move and a brilliant finish from them, the second was just unlucky, Taylor clearly held his hand as close to his body as possible and can't be blamed for that penalty.

At no point over the 90 minutes did they look safe from our attack, in perfect honesty.

Ultimately, it's ours to lose now... through red cards, crucial injuries or whatever else Souness' Lady Luck can conjure for NUFC...

:)

Given: 7 - Saved a penalty!

Solano: 7 - Did pretty well

Taylor: 5 - Wasn't a penalty, but got himslef lost a few times.

Bramble: 7 - Best game for a while against decent opposition, but was positionally caught out a couple of times. Did well, though.

Carr: 4 - get to fuck, you fat waste of space. Roeder, you're a cretin.

Dyer: 7 - Very well taken goal. Good runs at them with the ball (and sometiems even woth end product!)

Parker: 6 - Played ok, their midfield seemed to be baffled by ours.

Butt: 7 - See Parker, only better.

Duff: 6 - Not shite, well done.

Martins: 8 (MOM) - Very well played. If he can constintly show this kind of form, we're onto a winner.

Sibiersky: 6 - Paddy K-style flick, intelligent play. Nice one.

Thing is, and especially if we overcome Alkmaar, i feel that we deserve to win this competition. Or atleast get to the final.

To be honest I don't think AZ are in the class of Werder Bremen and Sevilla. If we beat one of those two then arguably we'd deserve to win the trophy. Don't think AZ are as good as you're making out. They looked good going forward but absolutely woeful at the back.

Everyone who's slating Carr.... surely you're just having a pop at him for no reason. He didn't put a foot wrong all game in my opinion. His passing was tidy. He got caught out a few times but got back to cover.

And I thought Taylor and Bramble were very good. Very harsh penalty in my opinion.

Carr had a failry good game (and I hate him) but that break into the box :lol: can happen to anyone though but was still funny!

Guest Knightrider

Now that was one entertaining game and at times we looked like a classy attacking force, AZ are a good time, and we tore them a new hole at times. The pros are that we were excellent going forward, Butt and Parker looked good together (maybe a partnership better suited to Europe?) and while we conceded 2 goals, defensively I thought we were equally as good at times, their pen was never a pen, ball hitting hand and not the otherway around, very harsh I thought.

Ratings:

Shay - 7 - A few fine saves but his kicking was poor.

Nobby - 8 - An excellent game at both ends, notice how many challenges he won without actually tackling? Very clever player.

Taylor - 7 - An 8 if he hadn't gave the pen away, which was harsh. Other than that he was very comfortable and did everything right.

Bramble - 8.5 - One of his best performances in a Toon shirt, that tackle was simply world-class, and had Terry made it... Decent distribution too.

Carr - 7 - Defended well and got forward well, linking up with Duff to godo effect, a solid game at left-back.

Dyer - 8 - Finished a great goal and worked his socks off, tactically played a blinder and linked up with attack to great effect.

Parker - 7 - A solid no nonesense game from Parker. That tackle after the penalty... amazing.

Butt - 7 - Ditto Parker.

Duff - 7 - Much better from Duff, tired towards the end after making tireless runs all night, most of which were never spotted. Much much better.

Sibbers - 7 - Great link up play and battled well, won a lot in the air.

Martins - 9 - Two stunning strikes, good movement, goo link up play, looked class all night. 16 goals now, great stuff. My MOTM.

Roeder - 7 - First-half spot on, second half not so. By dropping off like we did we invited them onto us and because we were so deep at times the forward line was isolated when they either lost the ball or we won it back. Still, a very impressive performance against one of the best coaches in the game.

Overall: We deserved our win and their two goals flattered them, their defence is shocking and I can see us scoring overe there, howevere I can see them scoring too. Another similar performance will send us through though.

One of the best games we've played for a long time and in  patches we looked very good, can we now transfer this into the league? That remains to be seen, but fingers crossed.

I have never, ever seen such a laid-back team in all the matches I've watched.

They were playing like they knew something we didn't, in a way, seemed far too over-confident when to me they look like average players trying to play good football. Barely threatened us, when compared to the amount of chances we had, and they got extremely lucky with the penalty - both in the decision and the rebound/s. I don't think it will be all that difficult for us to cancel out the two away goals in Alkmaar, a shite Fenerbahce team managed to put 2 past them.

The goalkeeper was a legend, though, now THAT'S what I call sticking to your managers instructions: i.e. thou shalt never kick it over the half-way line, like English goalkeepers always do, although he was forced into it a couple of times and you could just see that he hated having to do it.

AZ Alkmaar, where the goalkeeper is the playmaker. Dat'ch how we do it in de Nederlands!

I'm surprised there's not been more anger about the penalty. That second goal has completely changed the complexion of the tie. They wouldn't have fancied their chances of pulling back a three goal deficit, but a 2-0 or 3-1 home win is a very realistic target for them.

Normally those decisions where a cross hits a defender on the hand when he's closing the ball down, are very difficult to assess. But short of putting his hands behind his back, Taylor couldn't have done more to keep his hands away, and that was very, very obvious. You accept that refs are bound to make a few mistakes, but that was just incompetent.

Guest smoggeordie

Thing is, and especially if we overcome Alkmaar, i feel that we deserve to win this competition. Or atleast get to the final.

To be honest I don't think AZ are in the class of Werder Bremen and Sevilla. If we beat one of those two then arguably we'd deserve to win the trophy. Don't think AZ are as good as you're making out. They looked good going forward but absolutely woeful at the back.

Potential shock with Sevilla atm, 2-2 after the first leg. If they go out, it's anyones to win really.

From .com

AZ European Record 2006/07:

Kayserispor (h) won 3-2

Kayserispor (a) drew 1-1

Braga (h) won 3-2

Grasshoppers (a) won 5-2

Liberec (h) drew 2-2

Sevilla (a) won 2-1

Fenerbahce (a) drew 3-3

Fenerbahce (h) drew 2-2

Newcastle (a) lost 2-4

Their defence is much shitter than I realised, even at home.

Potential shock with Sevilla atm, 2-2 after the first leg. If they go out, it's anyones to win really.

Sevilla might be undone by their Championship race in Spain, let's hope that they are.

From .com

Kayserispor (h) won 3-2

Kayserispor (a) drew 1-1

Braga (h) won 3-2

Grasshoppers (a) won 5-2

Liberec (h) drew 2-2

Sevilla (a) won 2-1

Fenerbahce (a) drew 3-3

Fenerbahce (h) drew 2-2

Newcastle (a) lost 2-4

Their defending was a great source of amusement to me last night. To think the stick our lads get, this lot looked like they had midfielders playing in defence and a striker in goal.

From .com

Kayserispor (h) won 3-2

Kayserispor (a) drew 1-1

Braga (h) won 3-2

Grasshoppers (a) won 5-2

Liberec (h) drew 2-2

Sevilla (a) won 2-1

Fenerbahce (a) drew 3-3

Fenerbahce (h) drew 2-2

Newcastle (a) lost 2-4

Their defending was a great source of amusement to me last night. To think the stick our lads get, this lot looked like they had midfielders playing in defence and a striker in goal.

That's Roeders Plan B........

Thought it was Martins best game for us. Although he saw less of the ball in the second half he dominated everything he had, his passing, strength and hold up play was stunning, he and Owen will make some partnership imo.

Brambles tackle was the best ive ever seen him make!

Going to be a tough 90 mins over there, but I have confidence and im sure the players certainly will now, to go over there and score and do the job.

I thought the game was a good advert for football and our attacking play was as good as I've seen under Roeder.  We looked like we enjoyed playing most of the game, pity they got two away goals as that's enough to give them hope in the next leg.

I don't think the games over by a long way, we're good enough to win it but so are they.