Right-backs

Yorkie

Hopefully we'll be after a right-back in the summer, and i think Glenn's made it pretty clear he wants a left-back aswell. Are there actually any available right-backs in the Premiership?

Glen Johnson, out of contract in a year as well. (2008)

Bargain price in the summer, say £2-4m.

Fuck right off man. I wouldn't take him for nowt!

Nobby's doing a bloody good job there, but who knows if his legs will take another year. We need a RB but LB is a bigger priority imo.

Fuck right off man. I wouldn't take him for nowt!

Nobby's doing a bloody good job there, but who knows if his legs will take another year. We need a RB but LB is a bigger priority imo.

Glen Johnson would be a great signing on the cheap, i fail to see how it would be a bad thing to have him here. He's a mile better than Carr, and Nobby isn't doing the spectacular job everyone seems to think he's doing, he's just not total and utter shit like Carr.

Guest Knightrider

I'd go for Hoyte, he's come on in leaps and bounds and is defensively very smart, canny going forward too, although he's no attacking full-back, he's more of a supporting one who will allow his wing man to bomb on, providing security behind him, and not bomb on himself to the byeline. He's young, quick, by all accounts a quiet lad, and I think he'd be available at the right price as Wenger has stated numerous times now that he wouldn't stand in the way of any of his fringe players if a team could offer them regular first-team football. And this is something we could almost guarantee for the right player, which Arsenal can't. I'd stay clear of Glen Johnson, he's nowt special and has an attitude problem, not to mention learning deficiencies that put Bramble's own to shame.

Failing Hoyte there aren't that many available and while we could scour Europe for one, I don't trust our scouts to find a decent RB at a reasonable price for the long-term to be honest. Therefore If we can't find a decent RB, I'd play Nobby there with Taylor as his back-up, until we can find a decent long-term RB.

Guest Knightrider

Oh and Wullie is right, a LB is a bigger priority. I'd personally go for Banes of Wigan, a tough, pacey up and down type of full-back with good positional sense, not a top LB, but more than adequate.

I like the look of Ryan Taylor (and before anyone starts I have talked about him before that goal!) not sure about his injury record though.

Injury record just unlucky imo. Broken leg and broken foot aren't fitness/condition injuries, they're just bad luck. Good player though.

f*** right off man. I wouldn't take him for nowt!

I'd keep Nobby in there for next season, we need his experiance and footballing brain out there, BUT he can't play ever game so we could do with a young right back to act as back up(an eventually take over the position). Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be alot of promising young right backs about, certainly not cheap ones anyway.

Maybe we could get Hoyte or Gilbert from the Arse.

Oh and Wullie is right, a LB is a bigger priority. I'd personally go for Banes of Wigan, a tough, pacey up and down type of full-back with good positional sense, not a top LB, but more than adequate.

You could see on Thursday that LB was the obvious weak point in our team, it wasn't if we had a competent player out injured in that position either.

All about opinions. Johnson's one of the worst right backs I've seen in the Premiership.

Was ace at Millwall, good at WHU, poor at Chelsea and well above average at Pompy.

He's making progress, the Chelsea machine just churned him up and spat him out, its done it to bigger names and will continue to do so.

Can i ask what are you basing his ability on? Which part of his career and do you think he's been just as bad in your opinion at Portsmouth?

I like the look of Ryan Taylor (and before anyone starts I have talked about him before that goal!) not sure about his injury record though.

Injury record just unlucky imo. Broken leg and broken foot aren't fitness/condition injuries, they're just bad luck. Good player though.

Aye knew he had a couple of problems through injury but didn't know exactly what and given my stance on injury prone players I didnt want to be a hypocrite and state we should sign a defender that has been a complete crock his whole career. Just really liked the look of him when he has player, good defender and really good going forward.

Not from Premier League, but what about Phillip Degen from, Dortmund? Don't think he would be very expensive either.

I don't much about him. But he used to be on Everton's books, didn't he?

Used to play for Basel, had a decent WC last year.

All about opinions. Johnson's one of the worst right backs I've seen in the Premiership.

Was ace at Millwall, good at WHU, poor at Chelsea and well above average at Pompy.

He's making progress, the Chelsea machine just churned him up and spat him out, its done it to bigger names and will continue to do so.

Can i ask what are you basing his ability on? Which part of his career and do you think he's been just as bad in your opinion at Portsmouth?

He only played a handful of games for both Millwall and West Ham, got overrated as most West Ham youngsters do, went to Chelsea and was beyond abysmal, defensively he was as bad as anything we have. Think he's been ok for Pompey, though I've not really followed them, so I'll give you that.

He only played a handful of games for both Millwall and West Ham, got overrated as most West Ham youngsters do, went to Chelsea and was beyond abysmal, defensively he was as bad as anything we have. Think he's been ok for Pompey, though I've not really followed them, so I'll give you that.

I thought he looked pretty good in his first season at Chelsea, went to pieces when Mourinho went there for some reason.

Is basically how i saw his career go tbh.

If he moved here for the £3m he nearly did under SBR (who was blown out by Chelsea's £7m bid) he probably would be a fantastic player for us.

His attitude is questionable for me, although young and i think thats been his problem however he seems to have settled down in the last year.

As a player, he's certainly improved but for me his Chelsea career is over, and i think someone will pick up a decent player for cheap in the summer as Chelsea try to claw back a few million before his contract runs out.

For me, he'd be the best fullback we currently have at the club, but since we've not one person with any talent in those positions its a bit of a pointless point  :cheesy: