Martins' Worth?

Dokko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

:lol: Pompey paid about £7m for Nugent didn't they?

Yeah - same level of player.

If Nugent has anywhere near the same impact Martins did last season I will bring my left testicle to you on a silver plate.

Fuck it, you can have my right one as well, make it a pair for ya if Nugent has the same impact Martins did.

The impact of catapulting a team to 13th?

Not his fault we were generally shite and I do hope he does well again but you're talking as if he made something of us.

Unless you count saving us from a relegation battle as an achievement.

Not his fault we were generally shite and I do hope he does well again but you're talking as if he made something of us.

He was possibly the only source of goals in a decrepid team

Okay I went too far with the Nugent thing - I admit it but I stand by the general point - a few welcome spectacular goals aside I think he's overrated and not a top notch striker - fair enough?

Saving us from relegation was a massive achievement to me at least. Was we supposed to get us into Europe playing alongside Sibierski, with a disjointed midfield and an even dodgier defence behind him?

Not his fault we were generally s**** and I do hope he does well again but you're talking as if he made something of us.

Saving us from relegation was a massive achievement to me at least. Was we supposed to get us into Europe playing alongside Sibierski, with a disjointed midfield and an even dodgier defence behind him?

Yes he deserves a bit of credit for that - but some of the posts in this thread suggest that that has launched him into the £20m+ bracket  which is what I'm objecting to a bit.

He is still far better than some of the players who were sold for £5-6m this summer. Is Darren Bent £11m better than Martins? :lol:

Agreed and No.

I would still try and replace him and Shola in Jan though I wouldn't be "unhappy" if Martins stayed.

As someone else said for an Anelka or a Gudjonsen I'd take any token amount for Martins.

I don't understand why people are laughing at the thought of him being worth 15 million.  You just have to accept todays transfter market is ludacris.

22 years old with bags of potential, can use both feet, great in the air and can pull things out of the hat very few other players could.  Also has 13 goals in 18 International matches.

I don't understand why people are laughing at the thought of him being worth 15 million.  You just have to accept todays transfter market is ludacris.

22 years old with bags of potential, can use both feet, great in the air and can pull things out of the hat very few other players could.  Also has 13 goals in 18 International matches.

I think he's absolutely average tbh.

He struggles to control the ball, can't pass it accurately more than 10 yards & can't head it for shit. He can't tackle, fails to bring others into the game and can't hold it up when it's pinged up to him.

He is, however, fast as fuck when latching onto a through ball and can shoot very powerfully every now and again.

Martins offers us more than Gudjohnsen at the moment. the squad as a whole lacks pace and shipping out Martins for Gudjohnsen would be idiotic, especially when taking into account Gudjohnsen's age and the fact we already have a Gudjohnsen-type player (who is more productive, also) in Viduka. Martins offers something different that we don't already have elsewhere in the squad, so let's try keep him and build a squad, eh?

He struggles to control the ball, can't pass it accurately more than 10 yards & can't head it for s***. He can't tackle, fails to bring others into the game and can't hold it up when it's pinged up to him.

He is, however, fast as f*** when latching onto a through ball and can shoot very powerfully every now and again.

I don't like you.

Martins offers us more than Gudjohnsen at the moment. the squad as a whole lacks pace and shipping out Martins for Gudjohnsen would be idiotic, especially when taking into account Gudjohnsen's age and the fact we already have a Gudjohnsen-type player (who is more productive, also) in Viduka. Martins offers something different that we don't already have elsewhere in the squad, so let's try keep him and build a squad, eh?

I'd envisage a couple of pacey players being signed as well - I don't think Sam is daft.

He struggles to control the ball, can't pass it accurately more than 10 yards & can't head it for s***. He can't tackle, fails to bring others into the game and can't hold it up when it's pinged up to him.

He is, however, fast as f*** when latching onto a through ball and can shoot very powerfully every now and again.

I don't like you.

Which bits do you disagree with?

I don't like you.

Well i disagree with the fact that you've pointed out these flaws, which you're not too wrong about (although i feel his flaws are majorly highlighted too much so) and with all these apparently obviouls fundamental flaws he's still managed to stick the ball in the back of the net 20 odd times (in his first season in a differnt league), that speaks mountains to me, there are many strikers out there who dont have any obvious weaknesses yet couldnt hit an elephants arse with a frying pan, why is he lambasted so much??

I don't like you.

Well, the point of martins is really his pace and power surely. I personally love the guy and think he will be firing all cylinders soon enough, providing he gets the games. I think focussing on his flaws like that is slightly irrelevant. Like Rooney isn't good because he can't header or Viduka is inferior because he is australian.

I don't like you.

Well i disagree with the fact that you've pointed out these flaws, which you're not too wrong about (although i feel his flaws are majorly highlighted too much so) and with all these apparently obviouls fundamental flaws he's still managed to stick the ball in the back of the net 20 odd times (in his first season in a differnt league), that speaks mountains to me, there are many strikers out there who dont have any obvious weaknesses yet couldnt hit an elephants arse with a frying pan, why is he lambasted so much??

You've agreed with me yet still had a little dig!

He isn't as good as you think he is. Sorry but it's the truth. He'll score goals but it doesn't make him a good footballer. He struggles badly with the rudiments of the sport and he flatters to deceive more often than not.

He's just not that good tbh. I wish he was. But he's not.

I am happy enough with Martins, over the course of a season he will score enough goals to justify a place in the team. I still think he has a lot of improvement in him (well hope at least). He is someone who does quite often vanish in some games but the same could be said of MO.

He is good enough to be fighting Owen for that spot in the team (although Owen will be the winner) and if we do play 4-3-3 he is the more suited out of the 2 for a position in that formation.

A couple of years ago and anything over £10m would be quite laughable but the prices being as stupid as they are its quite reasonable to assume we could get more.

I don't like you.

You've agreed with me yet still had a little dig!

He isn't as good as you think he is. Sorry but it's the truth. He'll score goals but it doesn't make him a good footballer. He struggles badly with the rudiments of the sport and he flatters to deceive more often than not.

He's just not that good tbh. I wish he was. But he's not.

I agree upto a point, although, he's good in the air, and his link up play improved loads, not great but better, the rudimentary of football is having a good touch and yes his first touch is very very inconsistent sometimes its brilliant sometimes its poor.

I cant help but think that sayin he'll score goals but that doesnt make him a good footballer is a load of crap to be quite honest, if you're a striker and your scoring goals you're doing your job, making you a good footballer...surely? it doesnt matter if 90% of the time your second touch is a tackle if at the end of the day you've managed to put 20 goals away.

Would you rather  we had Bellamy over Martins?

To me, accoriding to your defininton Bellamy is a better footballer, but could you count on bellamy to sticck 17 goals away and save us from relegation?? I dont think so. I think Martins contribution to last season was more than we would ever of got from bellamy.

How can anyone say someone who scores goals is a poor footballer???

Heskey (arguably) - better footballer...gonna give you 10 goals a season

Bellamy - better footballer...not even goona get into double figures

Johnson...

the list could go on according to your definintion, these are all players who have played in the english league all there lives and still havet made an impact anyway near what martins has, yet you all still manage to think that Martins is a poor footballer....mind boggling. It really is. Gets way too much schtick.

All correct, and in my opinion blatantly obvious. Lets build a squad first!

The amount of people shouting to "get rid" of players is unbelievable. Getting rid of your better players is daftness.

The Eidur G comparisons is the typical grass always greener on the others side nonsense that I seem to read on here all the time... Abolute rubbish like.

Another thing that surely has to go for him is his excellent injury record (touch wood).

Although Owen is the better player I feel we have had much more out of Martins in a shorter period of time.

FOR: I like Martins alot, he is one of those players who's capable of something very different, he's a nightmare to defend against, can open up any defence, he's two footed, very unpredictable, very fast, has an absolute rocket of a shot, gives 100% running round trying to make things happen for himself and the team, he's tough and rarely injured and leaps like he has springs in his heels.

AGAINST: There is not that much to dislike really, but he could improve in the following areas: he sometimes picks the wrong pass or shoots when he should really pass, he needs to make more intelligent runs (quality rather than quantity sometimes), he's missed some great chances so his finishing can improve.

CONCLUSION: Well definately keep him, he's a very good team or squad member especially considering owen's injury record. We need fast players and they don't come much quicker than Oba he's a big plus for me. Madness to talk of replacing him with a 'big man' striker, i'd definately look at replacing Viduka way before Oba.

PREDICTION: He had a slow start to his first season and then exploded and was on fire for a long period last season, he'll get better and better and his next screamer is just round the corner imo providing Sam plays him of course.

AGAINST: There is not that much to dislike really, but he could improve in the following areas: he sometimes picks the wrong pass or shoots when he should really pass, he needs to make more intelligent runs (quality rather than quantity sometimes), he's missed some great chances so his finishing can improve.

First touch?

First touch?

Second and third touches aren't that great either.

Really, I don't think Martins is a difficult player to assess. He's a strong, quick athlete and as such he can cause defenders problems. However, you have to look at his overall contribution to the team, in comparison to what a more skilful and intelligent player could bring to the side.