Scrapping Draws!?!

Magpie

Sorry didn't realise I wasn't permitted to talk about anything other than NUFC and Premiership football!!! Agreed the title is a little OTT but I honestly couldn't believe what I was reading....

Guest Ice__Mag

Crazy idea! :idiot2:

Teams that come for a point and defend the whole game with 11 men behind the ball could end up winning on pens! But it will never go through

Just read that. Utter shite, don't know why they're even discussing it. It'll be "to make it more exciting" or something, it's exciting enough as it is, thanks very much.

Bet there's a yank in there somewhere.

I'd love to do away with draws to make the league a lot closer and so that teams would have to go for a win, not just try for a draw.  Shootouts definitely aren't the way to go though, they're too random.

I'd love to do away with draws to make the league a lot closer and so that teams would have to go for a win, not just try for a draw.  Shootouts definitely aren't the way to go though, they're too random.

why would teams have togo for a win..the teams that now hold out for a draw will hold out for a win on pens or whatever.

Guest BooBoo

While we're on with this, Talksport SuperKnob Adrian Durham was pratting on today about how relegation from the Premiership should be scrapped.

I'm convinced he goes out of his way to be controversial so people text in to slag him off.

While we're on with this, Talksport SuperKnob Adrian Durham was pratting on today about how relegation from the Premiership should be scrapped.

I'm convinced he goes out of his way to be controversial so people text in to slag him off.

he does and does it well.can't stand the station and thats how it works.

That's why I said shootouts weren't the way to go.  I don't have a solution though, I just want to see the league a bit closer.

This is the Football League, where the Championship and League Two races are very close at the moment.

I don't see how doing away with draws would make the league any closer anyway. Surely if one side is picking up a point each every now and then, that will make a closer contest than 3 for a win, 0 for a defeat every game.

It ain't broke so don't fix it.

how about a bonus point when the aggreagte score is arrived at..ie nufc beat mcfc 1-0 on in a couple of weeks,we get 3pts....we got the 1 pont from the draw at eastlands,we also get a bonus point for winning on aggregate.means teams may not throw the towel in so easy and even at 3-0 down there could be something worth going for.

I'd kind of like a win to be worth 2 points again, but that'd lead teams playing for draws as well if a win was less valuable.  I'm just sick of title races being over so early or between two clubs.

I think the thing I like most about the American sports system is that teams are all on a much leveller playing field.  At the start of the NFL season, for example, it could be anyone's - there's no big 4 or anything.  I don't see any way how we could get something like that over here though, and I don't think adapting the American franchise system would be good at all.

That's why I said shootouts weren't the way to go.  I don't have a solution though, I just want to see the league a bit closer.

The Football League is already really competitive, its the Premiership where the top 4 is nearly closed.

This is total nonsense.

The only thing I think might ever work (in terms of entertainment, so it's irrelevent to this) is possibly 2 points for a scoring draw, encouraging scoring. Even then, the distance between a draw and a win wouldn't be enough, so you have to give 4 for a win. Etc and so on.

To wit, keep it as is thanks.

I'd kind of like a win to be worth 2 points again, but that'd lead teams playing for draws as well if a win was less valuable.  I'm just sick of title races being over so early or between two clubs.

I think the thing I like most about the American sports system is that teams are all on a much leveller playing field.  At the start of the NFL season, for example, it could be anyone's - there's no big 4 or anything.  I don't see any way how we could get something like that over here though, and I don't think adapting the American franchise system would be good at all.

I disagree with that.  In most professional sports leagues in the US there are teams that are s*** and have been s*** ever since I can remember.  Randy Lerner's NFL team the Cleveland Browns for example.  The Chicago Cubs in baseball.  And those aren't isolated examples. 

I do agree with the point you are trying to make which is that every team starts with a clean slate every year, but that isn't what sport is about is it?  It renders every season meaningless.  You never pay the cost of being s***, you never build on success, because you are always a few salary caps & free agencies & good draft picks away from success.  No atmosphere, little passion, no tradition.  Boring.

The franchise system is a complete waste of time IMO because it promotes the 'spectacle' above the competition.  The Chicago Cubs baseball team will always sell out their home games no matter how bad they are and will never win the...ahem..."World" Series, because there is a stagnant league structure.  Can you imagine if the Premiership did away with the drop?  At first it would be great...no chance of going down and no chance of Sunderland coming up....but the one who would profit most is Shepherd.  Fills SJP every week, regardless of crap the side is, no matter how poorly they play, he makes his money and no pressure from the supporters because there is always next season so who gives a toss.  That is American sport for you.  Relegation, like the draw, just doesn't gel with their mentality.

I do agree with the point you are trying to make which is that every team starts with a clean slate every year, but that isn't what sport is about is it?  It renders every season meaningless.  You never pay the cost of being s***, you never build on success, because you are always a few salary caps & free agencies & good draft picks away from success.  No atmosphere, little passion, no tradition.  Boring.

That's kind of what I meant.  There's no way we could switch to the franchise system (and I wouldn't want to anyway), and on top of that the draft wouldn't work because clubs have their own youth systems.  It's just incredibly hard to build for success because with the way the money works, the divide between the top clubs and everyone else gets bigger and bigger each season, making it difficult for anyone else to break into it.

I disagree with that.  In most professional sports leagues in the US there are teams that are s*** and have been s*** ever since I can remember.  Randy Lerner's NFL team the Cleveland Browns for example.  The Chicago Cubs in baseball.  And those aren't isolated examples. 

The franchise system is a complete waste of time IMO because it promotes the 'spectacle' above the competition.  The Chicago Cubs baseball team will always sell out their home games no matter how bad they are and will never win the...ahem..."World" Series, because there is a stagnant league structure.  Can you imagine if the Premiership did away with the drop?  At first it would be great...no chance of going down and no chance of Sunderland coming up....[/b]but the one who would profit most is Shepherd.  Fills SJP every week, regardless of crap the side is, no matter how poorly they play, he makes his money and no pressure from the supporters because there is always next season so who gives a toss.  That is American sport for you.  Relegation, like the draw, just doesn't gel with their mentality.[/b]

Three words, Toronto Maple Leafs, like the Toon, won nowt for 50 years, fill the arena every night and some ticket's go for (front row) around 600$+ a game, which doesn't include the seat fee's of around $40,000 (each seat) for those tickets.  Toronto Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment is one of the wealthiest sporting companies in the world, if not the wealthiest.  They're pretty lucky in that Toronto is hockey Mecca and it's all anyone cares about and wouldn't be as wealthy if there was a drop, as they would have certainly gone down.

To make these changes would be ridiculous, it's why I love football, there's always something to worry about.  ;)

They actually tried a slightly different version of this in Malaysia. In the event of a draw, it goes to penalties where the winning team gets 2 points overall and the loosing team still gets 1 point for the original draw. I actually think that it's fair and might actually be a good idea to solve England's penalty woes in internationals. The drawback is off couse that it gives the away team even more incentive to hold out for a draw and nick the extra point by winning the penalties and I suspect just like in Malaysia, the novelty will wear off soon after. 

It's about like in japanese league... they must win or lose... but the negative this kind of thing is the stamina will be drought... that not very suitable with premiership busy schedule...

That idea stopped years ago.