Rooney or Martins?

Guest kebabstylee
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Strikers in the Prem I would take over Rooney;

Henry

Van Persie

Drogba

Shevchenko

Martins

Owen

Berbatov

Tevez

Yakubu

Anelka

:lol: Is this the same Rooney that i've been watching? All of those are quality players, but he's better than most of them.

It all makes sense now why scottass was such a big proponent of Luque.  He's clueless. :lol:

Where is Luque on that list? Fucks sake he would be if only Roeder gave him a chance!11!111

I'm not a big Luque proponent.  I would have liked to see him get a run of games, but it's not going to happen and now he's clearly not interested and needs to go.

I'd like my strikers to consistantly score goals, something Rooney does NOT do.

World class yet he hasn't scored a goal in the CL since 2004?  :lol: :lol: :lol:  Hilarious.

I'm not a big Luque proponent.  I would have liked to see him get a run of games, but it's not going to happen and now he's clearly not interested and needs to go.

I'd like my strikers to consistantly score goals, something Rooney does NOT do.

World class yet he hasn't scored a goal in the CL since 2004?  :lol: :lol: :lol:  Hilarious.

why was called the best player in the world by respected ex-pros at 19?

why was he 2nd top scorer in Euro 04 at 18?

scored around 20 goals last season, will do the same this season for sure at 21, get a grip ffs

Guest Gemmill

I like Martins, but Rooney's all-round game at 18 was better than Martins' is now. 

My main complaints with Martins are his movement and his touch - the former is getting better, the latter is just ridiculously variable.  Like I said, I like the lad, so nobody try and accuse me of writing him off, as happens on here if you say anything vaguely critical, but to say you'd pick him ahead of Rooney, is just plain wrong.

Thank fuck those of you that say you'd knock back a swap deal will never be in the position to make that sort of decision.

Scottass, you like strikers to consistently score goals, so on paper do you like this player?

553 league games, 201 goals.

Who is it?

Ronaldo, one of "the best players in the world" should be scoring 20+ goals in the league alone, not all competitions.  10 league goals doesn't say genius to me.  Martins has also scored 10, he's playing in a far worse team, and this is his first season in a tottaly different league and he's still adapting.

The way some people go on about Rooney they'd probably take him over Messi or Kaka..

Guest TheOrder

Daft thead. It's not difficult to see who the better player is, at the moment, but maybe it is difficult to see who would of scored the most goals for us this year, Martins or Rooney.

It all depends on what team you play them in. Most of Oba's goals this year have been decided on his pace, or his sheer power. I think we play to his strengths. However, I couldn't see Rooney scoring goals in our system, regardless on how much better he is than Oba.

At this moment in time, I wouldnt swop. Get Owen back, and I probably would. Because at this moment in time, we need the sheer pace, its the only thing we've got. Get Owen back, and I'd take Rooney.

Scottass, you like strikers to consistently score goals, so on paper do you like this player?

553 league games, 201 goals.

Who is it?

Ronaldo, one of "the best players in the world" should be scoring 20+ goals in the league alone, not all competitions.  10 league goals doesn't say genius to me.  Martins has also scored 10, he's playing in a far worse team, and this is his first season in a tottaly different league and he's still adapting.

The way some people go on about Rooney they'd probably take him over Messi or Kaka..

Dennis Bergkamp. Not a prolific goalscorer by any means, but a class player who set up hatfuls. Rooney might not score loads, but his general play is so good for the team. Man Utd would miss him big time if he was injured.

Dennis Bergkamp. Not a prolific goalscorer by any means, but a class player who set up hatfuls. Rooney might not score loads, but his general play is so good for the team. Man Utd would miss him big time if he was injured.

Rooney is not fit to tie Bergkamp's laces. Some might think that's hyperbole, but I genuinely believe that.

Come back in ten years though, after Rooney has walked the walk for more than a decade, and I might change my opinion...

10 league goals doesn't say genius to me.  Martins has also scored 10, he's playing in a far worse team, and this is his first season in a tottaly different league and he's still adapting.

well said

Rooney is not fit to tie Bergkamp's laces. Some might think that's hyperbole, but I genuinely believe that.

Come back in ten years though, after Rooney has walked the walk for more than a decade, and I might change my opinion...

Obviously, but Rooney is a similar type of player, ie a creative forward rather than an out and out scorer.

Bergkamp wasn't exactly a striker, though.  But yes, he was pure class and one of the best players the Premiership has seen and I agree with Racounter about Rooney not being fit to tie Bergkamp's laces.

IMO, Rooney should start playing in the hole behind the strikers.  He'll never be a natural striker/goalscorer in the same league as Eto'o or Drogba, but would have the ability to run things from an attacking midfield position.

Obviously, but Rooney is a similar type of player, ie a creative forward rather than an out and out scorer.

No arguments there, and looking back you weren't comparing Bergkamp to Rooney which was what got my back up, more making the point that there is more than goals to Rooney's game...

I have this little hobby - imagining what a particular player's reputation might be if he weren't English. The likes of Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, Ashley Cole, Rooney, even wor Mickey Owen are so hyped up by a nation desperate to see themselves as a world power. Where does the European media rank Rooney? With the likes of Ronaldinho, Messi and Kaka? Perhaps the level of Raul or Ballack? Maybe Jon Dahl Tomasson? ;)

I would imagine Rooney is widely regarded as a top player throughout Europe. In a similar vein, Cristiano Ronaldo, Fabregas, Alonso, Drogba, Henry etc. get the credit they deserve in this country despite not being English.

I would imagine Rooney is widely regarded as a top player throughout Europe. In a similar vein, Cristiano Ronaldo, Fabregas, Alonso, Drogba, Henry etc. get the credit they deserve in this country despite not being English.

Fair point - but I still contend none of the players on my (English) list can touch any of the players on your (European) one...

Guest Gemmill

Exactly.  The most spunked over players in the history of the Premiership have all been foreign.  Henry, Cantona, Ronaldo, Zola, Bergkamp, etc. etc.  A lot of English players do get overrated, but a) the foreigners get the credit that's due to them, and b) Rooney is highly rated, not overrated.

Guest Gemmill

Fair point - but I still contend none of the players on my (English) list can touch any of the players on your (European) one...

Gerrard and Ashley Cole are both top class tbh.  IMO.

I disagree, I reckon a fair few could play for the very top Spanish and Italian clubs. I also think Beckham's time at Real Madrid (overall) would tend to suggest that's correct.

jesus christ this is nonsense - anyone with eyes and who knows the game of football cannot for one second start taking rooney apart, just watch him and it should tell you all you need to know

the boy is a genius - why not sit and list ronaldinho's goal scoring ratio - i'll bet it's not great....that's what samuel eto'o is for....players like this come along once in a generation and it's such a fucken typical english thing to do to start ripping the boy up 'cause he's not winning games single handed week in week out

it makes me sad to say this but im almost glad rooney didn't come to SJP at times 'cause this lad has the potential to be the greatest english player there has ever been and we would have simply ruined him before he was 24....

martins is a good striker, i actually believe he'll become a glorious one, but to consider in fantasy land that you'd keep him over rooney can only mean you're either blind or have a single figure IQ

jesus christ this is nonsense - anyone with eyes and who knows the game of football cannot for one second start taking rooney apart, just watch him and it should tell you all you need to know

the boy is a genius - why not sit and list ronaldinho's goal scoring ratio - i'll bet it's not great....that's what samuel eto'o is for....players like this come along once in a generation and it's such a fucken typical english thing to do to start ripping the boy up 'cause he's not winning games single handed week in week out

it makes me sad to say this but im almost glad rooney didn't come to SJP at times 'cause this lad has the potential to be the greatest english player there has ever been and we would have simply ruined him before he was 24....

martins is a good striker, i actually believe he'll become a glorious one, but to consider in fantasy land that you'd keep him over rooney can only mean you're either blind or have a single figure IQ

Was never, ever, ever, going to happen. Ever.