Rooney or Martins?

Guest kebabstylee
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

jesus christ this is nonsense - anyone with eyes and who knows the game of football cannot for one second start taking rooney apart, just watch him and it should tell you all you need to know

the boy is a genius - why not sit and list ronaldinho's goal scoring ratio - i'll bet it's not great....that's what samuel eto'o is for....players like this come along once in a generation and it's such a fucken typical english thing to do to start ripping the boy up 'cause he's not winning games single handed week in week out

it makes me sad to say this but im almost glad rooney didn't come to SJP at times 'cause this lad has the potential to be the greatest english player there has ever been and we would have simply ruined him before he was 24....

martins is a good striker, i actually believe he'll become a glorious one, but to consider in fantasy land that you'd keep him over rooney can only mean you're either blind or have a single figure IQ

Was never, ever, ever, going to happen. Ever.

unlikely, agreed, but that wasn't really my point - anyhow a 20m bid is a 20m bid, is it not?  rooney himself said he turned us down so there was something there but once a professionally run club like man u came along obviously not

jesus christ this is nonsense - anyone with eyes and who knows the game of football cannot for one second start taking rooney apart, just watch him and it should tell you all you need to know

the boy is a genius - why not sit and list ronaldinho's goal scoring ratio - i'll bet it's not great....that's what samuel eto'o is for....players like this come along once in a generation and it's such a fucken typical english thing to do to start ripping the boy up 'cause he's not winning games single handed week in week out

it makes me sad to say this but im almost glad rooney didn't come to SJP at times 'cause this lad has the potential to be the greatest english player there has ever been and we would have simply ruined him before he was 24....

martins is a good striker, i actually believe he'll become a glorious one, but to consider in fantasy land that you'd keep him over rooney can only mean you're either blind or have a single figure IQ

unlikely, agreed, but that wasn't really my point - anyhow a 20m bid is a 20m bid, is it not?  rooney himself said he turned us down so there was something there but once a professionally run club like man u came along obviously not

I never bought the bid thing. It stank, for me.

the boy is a genius - why not sit and list ronaldinho's goal scoring ratio - i'll bet it's not great

17 goals in 26 league matches.  Compared to Rooney's 10 in 29.  Still want to bet it's not great?  And remember, Ronaldinho is supposedly having a dire season  :rolleyes:.    To put it bluntly, if Ronaldinho is the Premiership, Rooney is league 2.

As a forward, Rooney will never be fit to clean Shearer's boots.

the boy is a genius - why not sit and list ronaldinho's goal scoring ratio - i'll bet it's not great

17 goals in 26 league matches.  Compared to Rooney's 10 in 29.  Still want to bet it's not great?  And remember, Ronaldinho is supposedly having a dire season  :rolleyes:.    To put it bluntly, if Ronaldinho is the Premiership, Rooney is league 2.

As a forward, Rooney will never be fit to clean Shearer's boots.

rooney is suppsoed to be having a dire season unless you hadn't noticed...

surprised ronaldinho has got so many as it happens

no-one mentioned shearer and i didn't talk about rooney purely as a striker, i think that's where you're missing the point big time

it did to me too 'til i read an interview with rooney admitting he would have gone to SJP if ferguson hadn't come in....the bid was on the table and he wanted out of everton so would have come, therefore must have existed?

I'm guessing the "idiots" who have watched Rooney from 2005 onwards.

He is lightyears away from the player he was > 2005, when he actually was the best young player in the world.  I assume everyone who is picking Rooney has confidence he'll hit that form again on a consistent basis, but I have my doubts.

I, personally, think we have a real gem in our hands in Martins and he's only going to get better with age and experience in the Prem. 

With the right coaching, he'll be a world beater by 25.  Oh, wait......

it did to me too 'til i read an interview with rooney admitting he would have gone to SJP if ferguson hadn't come in....the bid was on the table and he wanted out of everton so would have come, therefore must have existed?

Personally think it was completely genuine. I remember reading the papers a few days, or a week or so, before we made the first bid, when ManU's [vice]chairman at the time, Gil, stated categorically that ManU did not have the money to buy Rooney that summer. Shepherd moved pretty soon after that, and ManU ended up using the following season's transfer budget to sign Rooney, which Shepherd was probably hoping they wouldnt do (or didnt think about it as a possibility).

both have huge talent, but i think rooney has a better football brain, and this is whats needed at higher lvl play.

as one commentator said last week....the CL is like football chess.    At the highest lvls you cant survive on raw ability and talent alone.

I dont htink rooney or martins are close to their zenith yet.....we have to hope that martins has mucho development left in the locker!!!

Rooney is nowhere near the level you suggest. I would have him as one of the top 10 players in the world in his age group, but he's a long way from being the undisputed best of this era in football.

Guest Gemmill

Rooney is nowhere near the level you suggest. I would have him as one of the top 10 players in the world in his age group, but he's a long way from being the undisputed best of this era in football.

He hasn't really said that though tbf.  He's right about players like that only coming along once a generation - Gazza was the last player England had with that much natural talent.  It's why when we were supposedly bidding for him (whether it was genuine or not) I couldn't understand the people posting "But we NEED a centre half!" when we were bidding for a lad that, as a teenager, had already realised more potential than most players ever show.

How has he not said that? He didn't confine his statement to just England did he? If that's what he meant I am inclined to agree, although you never know if other talents will come in in the next few years to claim the honour of being the best of this generation..

Can't disagree with you to be honest; Rooney has rarely performed at International level either...............

I might be getting whooshed, but wasn't he England's best player at the last Euro's?  He was shredding

defences before he broke his foot.  Also, it's impossible to 'can't disagree'. 

Christ, I'm amazed it's that close. Martins was a good buy, but he'll never, ever be as good as Rooney. Martins is quicker, but Rooney is more skilful, has a far better football brain, can head the ball better, pass it better, is a better finisher, takes free kicks - is better in every other respect.

the boy is a genius - why not sit and list ronaldinho's goal scoring ratio - i'll bet it's not great....

i dont even like Ronaldinho that much, but I feel this comment should receive more mocking than it has so far.

Jesus weeping on a bike tbh. A truly incredible thread.

I love Martins, think he'll be a superstar for us, but Rooney will ultimately prove to be one of the best players of his generation. He's having a bit of a slump by his own standards this year, but that's gonna happen with any player whose been around for as long as he is and is still so young.

Some people have some short-ass memories. Rooney's vision, passing, movement, touch and finishing are all streets ahead of Oba, only thing Oba has on him is pace and is possibly better in the air.

can head the ball better

That just isn't true, Rooney is terrible in the air.

Disagree. Martins has a good leap on him, but he misdirects a lot of headers. Rooney doesn't head the ball that often, because he's usually the more withdrawn striker, but on the occasions I've seen him head it he's looked pretty good.

This stemmed from a pub argument with my mate who is a ManUre supporter. Obviously there is going to be bias involved from both sides, but for me, if someone offered me a straight swap of Rooney for Martins, I would turn it down. Martins is quicker, at least as strong, better at using both feet, and can score from anywhere. In my opinion they are both very similar players, but Martins' pace and finishing just edges it for me. So, who would you have, given the choice?

you're serious aren't you ?