Shay Given At Fault For Both Goals

The College Dropout

Anyway I'll probably get lynched for this I reckon David James or even Jens Lehmann are better goalkeepers than Shay.

mackems.gif

So you'd rather buy 36 year old David "Calamity" James than play Shay Given?  If there's one person who would install even LESS confidence in our back 4, it's him.

You need to stop talking as I can't keep shoveling at this rate.

College Dropout you should actually watch our games.. best keeper in the league bar Cech.

if not good enough for us, you know fuck all about football to be honest.  go back to your luque thread.. because he is 'due a game, on youtube class, he's so sexy arghhh!'

College Dropout you should actually watch our games.. best keeper in the league bar Cech.

if not good enough for us, you know f*** all about football to be honest.  go back to your luque thread.. because he is 'due a game, on youtube class, he's so sexy arghhh!'

Bullshit tbh

whatever.. see difference between me and most of you.  is i can actually recognise a good player when i see one.  watch newcastle vs arsenal at st james, save after save which we eventually won.  shay won us 3 points there then look at sooo many over games.

no other keeper could/should do better than Shay TBH

Guest cfhpantera27

whatever.. see difference between me and most of you.  is i can actually recognise a good player when i see one.  watch newcastle vs arsenal at st james, save after save which we eventually won.  shay won us 3 points there then look at sooo many over games.

couldn't agree more

if not good enough for us, you know f*** all about football to be honest.  go back to your luque thread.. because he is 'due a game, on youtube class, he's so sexy arghhh!'

Moronic post.

Go into the Luque thread and see if I've ever posted in there let alone defended him. I have a very low opinion on Luque. So instead of insulting my football intelligence how about you tell me why Given is the 2nd best goalkeeper in the league.

Avoiding my point. Shay is an excellent shot stopper but he doesn't command his area which costs us points. Perhaps if Given did command his area he would be the 2nd best goalkeeper in the league.

Shay doesn't make many mistakes but he doesn't take many chances either.

Anyway I'll probably get lynched for this I reckon David James or even Jens Lehmann are better goalkeepers than Shay.

mackems.gif

So you'd rather buy 36 year old David "Calamity" James than play Shay Given?  If there's one person who would install even LESS confidence in our back 4, it's him.

You need to stop talking as I can't keep shoveling at this rate.

Well no but he is a better keeper. I'd just prefer Shay to start commanding his 6 yard box at the very least. Not saying he's not good but he plays a part in our defensive frailties by not commanding his area.

Moronic post.

Go into the Luque thread and see if I've ever posted in there let alone defended him. I have a very low opinion on Luque. So instead of insulting my football intelligence how about you tell me why Given is the 2nd best goalkeeper in the league.

Avoiding my point. Shay is an excellent shot stopper but he doesn't command his area which costs us points. Perhaps if Given did command his area he would be the 2nd best goalkeeper in the league.

he saved us more points then any other keeper im willing to bet.  great servant.  does control his area more than is recognised.  BRILLANT shot shopper.  wouldn't take anyone other than Given at this present moment.

and my view of your football knowledge when staright out of the window when you suggested Lehmann and James to be better keepers lol ffs.  Lehmann not always first choice anymore and James who was never EVER good enough on consistent basis, thats why they call him CALAMITY.  ask pompey fans who they would rather see in between the sticks?  Man City fans, liverpool?  Given is recognised as CLASS, why man utd and arsenal constantly linked. 

dont friggin knee jerk everytime a player does something you dont like.  it happens to the very best !!  I seen Seaman 'lobbed from near half way line, should of been on his line', seen schmiechel similar lobbed by CB and concede 5.  Buffon cocking up an andy GRIFFIN shot

and van der saar concede many times 3 goals plus and have a pretty horrid time alot.  pre-man utd of course.. soo overlook the occasional mistakes fucking happens.

I would have to say one thing about Given, that is his distribution!, it's fucking terrible he just hoofs that ball and hopes for the best doesn't even try to place it, in which case we end up letting the opposition get the ball.

Moronic post.

he saved us more points then any other keeper im willing to bet.  great servant.  does control his area more than is recognised.  BRILLANT shot shopper.  wouldn't take anyone other than Given at this present moment.

and my view of your football knowledge when staright out of the window when you suggested Lehmann and James to be better keepers lol ffs.  Lehmann not always first choice anymore and James who was never EVER good enough on consistent basis, thats why they call him CALAMITY.  ask pompey fans who they would rather see in between the sticks?  Man City fans, liverpool?  Given is recognised as CLASS, why man utd and arsenal constantly linked. 

dont friggin knee jerk everytime a player does something you dont like.  it happens to the very best !!  I seen Seaman 'lobbed from near half way line, should of been on his line', seen schmiechel similar lobbed by CB and concede 5.  Buffon cocking up an andy GRIFFIN shot

and van der saar concede many times 3 goals plus and have a pretty horrid time alot.  pre-man utd of course.. soo overlook the occasional mistakes f****** happens.

I'm not talking about individual mistakes. I'm talking about years and years of not commanding his area. I said it last year and I'll say it the next. He's always been a line dweller.

You're right, Shay doesn't command his six yard box at all, flaps at crosses, can't kick very well and his communication with his defence is lacking. BUT he is second to none at reflex saves and one on ones, which, in turn, are much more impressive than the aformentioned....SO everyone thinks he is the dog's bollox.... Still, there aren't that many who I'd like him to be replaced by...

Good post by the way!

Shay has weaknesses it's true - commanding the area being one and distibution another, but these might be symptoms of the wider confusion and lack of confidence gripping our team and especially the back four.

I'd go as far as to say we might have gone down in the Souness era if it wasn't for Seamus.

I've been saying for a long time that Shay's line dwelling costs us goals.

Practically all the defenders played a part in their first goal but the ball travelled across the 6 yard box where Shay should really come off his line.

Similar story with the second goal. From the position of the header any shot on target would most likely go in.

Shay has always played a part in our poor defensive displays.

He's a top shot stopper, I think we all know that, but coming off his line and dominating his 6 yard box has always been a weakness.

I

Guest Knightrider

The TEAM were at fault for both goals, and always are, unless an individual makes such a massive and elementary mistake.