Roeder to go and Sidwell to join?

sempuki

Roeder in danger as Newcastle go out of Europe and drift nowhere in England

Uncertainty from the boardroom to the pitch deepens Tyneside gloom, reports Michael Walker

Saturday March 17, 2007

The Guardian

Dispirited Newcastle United supporters making their weary way back from Alkmaar yesterday will hardly be reassured by the notion that things may get worse before they get better. Tomorrow brings a trip to Charlton that apparently everyone on Tyneside regards as a home banker, Monday has the Football Association's hearing with Emre Belozoglu over his racial abuse charge and, in the longer term, there is a growing consensus locally that the chairman, Freddy Shepherd, is expected to mount a bid for the shares of his fellow directors Sir John Hall and Douglas Hall.

If Shepherd were to do that successfully, then he and his increasingly influential son, Kenneth, would effectively run the club as a family concern.

Barely 48 hours after the announcement in January by the investment group Belgravia that they were withdrawing from their potential takeover talks - a process stimulated by the Hall family's desire to sell their 41% stake in the club - Shepherd put himself forward as a possible bidder, saying: "I would consider buying the Halls' shares at the correct price."

Due to the "whitewash" agreement concluded with Belgravia, they would be entitled to match or beat any Shepherd offer for the Hall shareholding within six months of their announcement but there has been no fresh contact between Belgravia and the Halls or with the club since January and a spokesman for the group said yesterday that Belgravia "is maintaining a watching brief; we keep all investment opportunities under review".

There was no sub-text to the comments and Belgravia is not anticipated to revisit the club's books imminently. With Polygon, the other company who entered discussions with the Halls, also understood to be not returning, it leaves the Halls with a dilemma.

"Sir John Hall has to decide what his role is," Shepherd said in January. "The future of this club is in his hands. He has to decide whether he wants to stick or sell. The uncertainty is making it hard for me to run the club. Sir John identified two potential buyers and it hasn't worked. How many more potential buyers has the club to cope with?"

It is believed that Belgravia were prepared to offer around £130m for Newcastle and take on the club's unknown debt figure. Newcastle's share price enjoyed a small rise yesterday but the paper value is approximately £85m. To acquire the Halls' 41% would mean Shepherd finding tens of millions that few analysts think he has.

Some fans might consider this dry detail but until the ownership of the club is settled, strategic planning will suffer. Shepherd already runs the club on a day-to-day basis but he cannot drive it with a 29% shareholding.

Therefore, despite the unambitious manner of their Uefa Cup exit on Thursday night in Alkmaar, Glenn Roeder may remain in place until the moment when Alan Shearer decides he has had enough of Match of the Day. That will not be for another 12 months, it is said.

But if Newcastle's form implodes over the coming weeks, and the noises coming from senior players such as Shay Given and Kieron Dyer do not convince that there will be some rousing resistance witnessed at The Valley and elsewhere, Shepherd may remove Roeder. Considering the chairman fought the League Managers' Association among others to get Roeder appointed last year, that would be done reluctantly but there is billowing dissatisfaction with Roeder among those who buy season tickets.

Yet Roeder is already engaged in summer planning and Reading's Steve Sidwell is expected to join as a free agent. But Emre's future is uncertain, as is Titus Bramble's, and Michael Owen's return from injury may now be delayed. There would be logic to Owen having the entire season off rather than risk himself at its end. And it does feel at an end. "What can we say?" asked Given, "we've let the fans down again. The whole team didn't play well and we're out of Europe, so it's the end of the season."

Dyer, meanwhile, looked ahead to Charlton tomorrow and said: "While we still have to try and win as many points as we can and climb up the table, tonight [Alkmaar] will take a long time to get out of our system. I honestly believe that."

Supporters will not enter The Valley's sold-out away section confident and, if there is a downturn, then further anti-Shepherd protests of the sort that followed the home defeat by Sheffield United in November cannot be discounted. Even fans numbed by year after year of disappointment can still get angry.

Although this paper says FFS is backing him:

Shepherd backs Roeder's plan

By Rob Stewart

The Newcastle United chairman, Freddy Shepherd, last night pledged to finance a major rebuilding of the team's defence, whose frailty cost the club a place in the Uefa Cup quarter-finals.

Shepherd promised boardroom support for Glenn Roeder after his manager launched an extraordinary public attack on his defenders, whom he blamed for the 2-0 defeat by AZ Alkmaar in Holland that saw Newcastle eliminated on Thursday night.

"All of us had set our heart on winning the competition but maybe with all the injuries, that was asking too much," Shepherd said. "Mind you, we won't feel sorry for ourselves and must make sure Newcastle United come back better and stronger next year. The return of Michael Owen and Shola Ameobi will certainly help, that's like two new signings for starters.

"And, of course, the board do everything it can to back Glenn Roeder in the transfer market. We've already discussed transfer targets and hopefully they'll come off in the summer."

Centre-half Titus Bramble, whose contract expires this summer, is expected to be ushered out in the defensive tinkering.

"It was always going to be a tough season - and that was before a ball was kicked in anger," Shepherd said. "Losing a legend like Alan Shearer left an almighty hole because he's been such a massive figure at Newcastle for 10 years. Then our record signing's ruled out for the season while playing for England at the World Cup. Of course, Alan's retirement was something we were prepared for, but to lose Michael Owen as well was a cruel blow.

"Of course, we're desperate for success but not too many clubs would have coped with the problems we've had."

Midfielder Kieron Dyer, whose appeal for Roeder to sign Jonathan Woodgate will prove futile, said that the team had "let ourselves and everyone associated with the club down" in Alkmaar.

"It's like Groundhog Day and it always seems to happen to us, and now it is another season with nothing to play for," Dyer said. "What makes it a lot worse is that we lost to a set-piece. This has been our achilles heel all season, and we just cannot get it right."

Guest Knightrider

God help us if Freddy Shepherd and family ever get full control of the club. We've already suffered enough as a result of this man's extravagances and ineptness. The Halls are his reality check (which is bad enough), remove them and he has carte blanche. The day FS takes full control of NUFC is the day I withdraw my entire support of the club.

Guest Knightrider

Oh and nice of Dyer to say there is nowt to play for. 6 points off 6th, nowt to play for? He can fuck off anarl.

"It was always going to be a tough season - and that was before a ball was kicked in anger," Shepherd said. "Losing a legend like Alan Shearer left an almighty hole because he's been such a massive figure at Newcastle for 10 years. Then our record signing's ruled out for the season while playing for England at the World Cup. Of course, Alan's retirement was something we were prepared for, but to lose Michael Owen as well was a cruel blow.

"Of course, we're desperate for success but not too many clubs would have coped with the problems we've had."

Useless prat. Other clubs, the ones that see some form of success season in season out, the clubs that were at the same level or below us when Shepherd took over, dont have to cope with the problems we have because they dont spend all their money on signing trophy crocks and trophy has-beens. They dont make idiotic decisions when it comes to appointing managers either, they dont appoint managers who even relegation standard Premiership sides wouldnt take. They dont have a chairman and his family sucking the club dry and taking it downwards just so that chairman can buy all the shares and even more of the "profits".

Barely 48 hours after the announcement in January by the investment group Belgravia that they were withdrawing from their potential takeover talks - a process stimulated by the Hall family's desire to sell their 41% stake in the club - Shepherd put himself forward as a possible bidder, saying: "I would consider buying the Halls' shares at the correct price."

It is believed that Belgravia were prepared to offer around £130m for Newcastle and take on the club's unknown debt figure. Newcastle's share price enjoyed a small rise yesterday but the paper value is approximately £85m.

Its just not in HIS interest, is it? Hes only got a 29% holding (much of it bought with the club's money), even though Belgravia were offering 150% of the share price, thats nothing compared to what he leeches out of the club already via dividends, wages+bonuses, his family and friends being in comfy jobs, "fringe benefits" like his brother's empty warehouse being leased by the club, etc etc. No doubt hes going to do his very best to get Halls' shares on the cheap.

oh and nice of coach HTT to only point out that dyer said it,not mentioning that given said exactly the same thing.

oh and i was very impressed with sidwell up here,best player on the pitch when we played reading.

God help us if Freddy Shepherd and family ever get full control of the club. We've already suffered enough as a result of this man's extravagances and ineptness. The Halls are his reality check (which is bad enough), remove them and he has carte blanche. The day FS takes full control of NUFC is the day I withdraw my entire support of the club.

They might as well print the company cheques with "pay Shepherd Offshore" if they take over.

any business analysts on here prepared to give their twopenneth on wether shephered is being hampered in the running of the club by the uncertainty over the hall families shareholding.

I'm not a business analyst but one drawback (if you call it that) would be that getting loans would be almost impossible if uncertainty surrounded the ownership of the club.

Meh towards ongoing Shepherd/Roeder arguments and daft comments. I'm glad Shepher's backing him, a managerial change now is the last thing we need. Roeder has his flaws but he is capable, and i still feel that he is learning. Unlike many, i have faith in him to bring us through this transitional period at the right end of the Premier League table. The transitional period should be over come the end of next season, when he should have his own squad.

On the other matter, i would love Sidwell here.

any business analysts on here prepared to give their twopenneth on wether shephered is being hampered in the running of the club by the uncertainty over the hall families shareholding.

You know how a lot of people reckon Roeder is better when he has no options to choose from, well I'd say that the situation is paralleled in the board room. The more freedom Shepherd has, the more rope he has to hang himself and the club along with him. I dread to think what it would be like if he were in complete control.

It sounds like a very sad situation. The way I see it  - The Halls want out, but Shepherd can block any potential bidder, because although he can't stop them getting a majority shareholding, with 29% of the shares he can stop anyone getting the 75% needed to take complete control. That makes us a far less attractive proposition to any investor.

So effectively he's trying to put himself in a position where he's the only possible buyer for the shares, and can drive the price down. It also means that other potential owners who might be able to bring in more investment than Freddie are being blocked.

It sounds like a very sad situation. The way I see it  - The Halls want out, but Shepherd can block any potential bidder, because although he can't stop them getting a majority shareholding, with 29% of the shares he can stop anyone getting the 75% needed to take complete control. That makes us a far less attractive proposition to any investor.

So effectively he's trying to put himself in a position where he's the only possible buyer for the shares, and can drive the price down. It also means that other potential owners who might be able to bring in more investment than Freddie are being blocked.

Why im under the impression that Shepherd is behind the failure of the Belgravia and Polugon bids!

He wants to take full control so he can be in charge as long as possible

Guest Invicta_Toon

Why im under the impression that Shepherd is behind the failure of the Belgravia and Polugon bids!

there were no bids to fail, get your story straight

If you believe that, you'll believe anything - Shepherd doesn't need ANYONE to jold him back from running the Club properly - he's quite capable of doing that on his own...

No, no! FFS obviously has only the best interests of the club at heart. He will dig deep into his own personal fortune and buy us England players so we will be sure to qualify for the Intertoto in 2009!!

Guest Invicta_Toon

No, no! FFS obviously has only the best interests of the club at heart. He will dig deep into his own personal fortune and buy us England players so we will be sure to qualify for the Intertoto in 2009!!

he will do the best thing that improves his personal position

why anyone thinks anyone would act differently is beyond me

there were no bids to fail, get your story straight

My point was that maybe he is behind the failure of some possible deals with Belgravia and Polygon to happen

Guest BooBoo

This Sidwell story is the most ridiculously certain story since i read "Newcastle expect to wrap up the signing of Miroslav Klose in the next few days" in The Times last summer.