What kind of central defender do you want?

juniatmoko

The ideal partnership is someone who has a good understanding of the game and reads it well, has good composure and is capable of bringing the ball out from the back, to partner him you want a no nonsense defender who dominates in the air.

We need experience. We've needed it for as long as I've been old enough to support this club, we have been especially crying out for it over the past few seasons. We should have bought a leading centre-back when Keegan was here (Colin Hendry is always one that comes to mind here from what I remember), we should have bought one to pair with Woodgate/bring on Bramble and O'Brien when Robson was here (Gareth Southgate was linked at the time), when Woodgate was sold we should have brought one in to fill his void, instead of wasting all that money on Boumsong under Souness and last summer we should have brought in Sol Campell under Roeder to partner with Taylor.

It is an area of this modern squad that has NEVER been addressed. We've never had a leader in goal or in the heart of the defence, two areas where understanding and organisation are absolutely imperative - you surely need at least ONE of these to go places and we have never had one in either. Woodgate led more by example than anything else and he certainly wasn't overly-experienced when he was here, but he remains the closest we've come to getting the real deal.

When was the last time we had a leader in the backline who was as good a footballer as he was an organiser? I certainly can't remember one throughout our entire lifetime in the Premiership. We've been fortunate enough to have the likes of Beardsley, Lee, Speed and Shearer here in more advanced roles, but the defence hasn't had anyone to lead it since Pearce was here - and he was practically finished as a footballer by then, anyway.

We missed the boat on Sol Campbell, but we should be looking for someone of a similar pedigree and in a similar stage of their career, if at all possible. While hopefully getting shot of Bramble and Moore, and retaining Onyewu.

Guest Sniffer

Ben Haim has just been skinned for pace by Wayne Rooney for manure's 4th goal from well out.. He is a carthorse as well as a cheating twat

Ben Haim

Distin

Curtis Davies

Wes Brown

Lucas Neil

Anton Ferdinand(Roeder likes him)

I think we will probably sign someone from the above

Ben Haim i think he is Sweeper kind of CB (yes him if we ready to get rid Taylor)... Lucas Neill not CB.. no no not Anton! (worst than Bramble tbh)

I think Lucas Neil can play at CB

And why do you want to get rid of Taylor??? :uglystupid2:

as usual you have badly missed the point and used this as an excuse to insult someone, no need mate

Ben Haim

Distin

Curtis Davies

Wes Brown

Lucas Neil

Ben Haim i think he is Sweeper kind of CB (yes him if we ready to get rid Taylor)... Lucas Neill not CB.. no no not Anton! (worst than Bramble tbh)

as usual you have badly missed the point and used this as an excuse to insult someone, no need mate

What did i say to insult someone?

what was the point that i missed?

And why as usual?

Guest Knightrider

All high calibre, all classy defenders and leaders at the back, all unrealistic:

Andrade

Chiuvu

Ayala

Woodgate

Milito

My choice.

Woodgate is too big a gamble to take for me. I'd try and tempt Zaragoza with a cash plus Luque offer for Milito.

As to the thread title, we need experience, leadership, QUALITY, and someone intelligent at the back, that's what I'd be looking for in any defenders.

Guest JamesD

i was actually thinking we should sign a slow, weak, short, CB who is also afraid of the ball.  Not sure if i want technical skils either...

Ben Haim

Distin

Curtis Davies

Wes Brown

Lucas Neil

no no i guess you misunderstood me.... what i say is they both (Taylor & Ben Haim) the same type of CB which is a sweeper kind of CB.. they both doesn't have attribute or at least similar to i.e. Gallas, Toure, etc. a bit partnership like Terry & Gallas ---> Campbell & Toure... one being the sweeper & become pacey CB. Neil being CB.... the last things i want is NUFC buying player for experiment because it will never work.