What, for you, has been Newcastle's WORST Premiership season?

Keefaz
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I was going to put 'Premier League' in the title, but forgot. Considering I only listed those seasons we've ben in the PL, I thought it was pretty obvious I was only referring to those seasons. I had to narrow the poll options somehow and that seemed as good a place as any. Everyone's entitled to discuss whatever they want, but I didn't really want to drag up old arguments we've had time and time again.

For me, the Partizan season.

The Partizan defeat was where my hope dried up. In the latter part of the KK reign we'd jumped up touched the heights, but weren't able to grab hold of anything. The foundations of our success soon proved to be pretty shaky and a steady decline began. Enter SBR. It took him a few seasons but, against the run of play and with limited resources, he had us up there again, within touching distance of the chance to wedge ourselves at the top. But we needed that CL place, that year, to have a chance of competing with the big boys.

I can still remember where I was sitting, looking out of the window, as I mulled over the consequences of the defeat and basically resigned myself to mediocrity for the forseeable future. Everything since just seems like symptoms, rather than causes.

Toss up between 1988/89 relegated and 1991/92 just saved from relegation to div 3 by the skin of our teeth.

Ever season since 1991/92 has been fantastic in comparison and has usually had something to cheer.

Amongst that lot mind i'd plump for 2000/01 when we were pretty poor and uninspiring.

whats the problem. The question is what has been Newcastles worst season of those listed in the poll ? To ME, it would be any of at least a dozen seasons where we really struggled, which certainly isn't this one.

Dave. If I was to be flippant, which I'm not, I would point out the title of the thread is "what is Newcastle's worst season". I didn't bother reading the bit that said PL - why should someone - and for ME, Newcastle's worst season is as I replied.

Absolutely no question about it. So those that say read the question, especially toonstaylor who appears to be wanting to get me banned [isn't there a rule against THAT) simply for correcting him when he is wrong, I did answer the question.

The further question of what is the worst season of the ones listed the worst season is Souness by a million miles and the most crushing is by far the last few weeks of 1995-96 and the 1999 Cup Final, which was the one I think we could have won, as Manu had their eyes on the European Cup, if we hadn't bottled it again, or should I say, the players let us all down again.

I've read the title of this thread again and again and again and it does NOT specify premier League, it simply says what has been newcastle Worst season but then goes on to only list the seasons that the Sky Boys know about.

Total Gash i'm afraid, because if anyone told me on Easter Monday  1992 that we would have such a prolonged and exhilirating run of years in the top flight i would have laughed at them and ordered a pint of whatever it was they had been drinking.

Eh? :lol:

This thread is a poll.

The poll has various options.

The options happen to be Premier League seasons.

The poster wanted to know which Premier League season we all thought was worst, hence his chosen poll options.

I've read the title of this thread again and again and again and it does NOT specify premier League, it simply says what has been newcastle Worst season but then goes on to only list the seasons that the Sky Boys know about.

Total Gash i'm afraid, because if anyone told me on Easter Monday  1992 that we would have such a prolonged and exhilirating run of years in the top flight i would have laughed at them and ordered a pint of whatever it was they had been drinking.

:lol: Did you have to?

What's wrong with him asking for your opinion on our worst season in the Premiership (recent times), which he cleary states in the first post?

Promotion and the Premier League is as good a place as any to start.

If you don't start there, you pretty much have to start in 1892. Get busy Keefaz.

FFS. Why do people have to be so soopafantastic all the time?

absolutely.

You have to agree with the majority of the sky boys though, or you are accused of "trolling".

Thing is, a lot of the people on this forum are young lads so they aren't going to know about the 1980s etc. I'm 21, started supporting Newcastle in 1992 - that doesn't mean i'm a 'sky boy', apologies for not being in the Gallowgate in my pushchair.

HTL's response on page 2 is excellent and shows he actually appreciates the fact that some people weren't alive. NE5 just seems to resent young people and has to pretend to be a massive super-fan to make himself feel better. Small man syndrome?

Thing is, a lot of the people on this forum are young lads so they aren't going to know about the 1980s etc. I'm 21, started supporting Newcastle in 1992 - that doesn't mean i'm a 'sky boy', apologies for not being in the Gallowgate in my pushchair.

HTL's response on page 2 is excellent and shows he actually appreciates the fact that some people weren't alive. NE5 just seems to resent young people and has to pretend to be a massive super-fan to make himself feel better. Small man syndrome?

Ally, Ally.......I have posted on numerous occasions that age has nothing to do with it.

I think - really - that certain people on here shouldn't presume things so quickly ..... and I think YOU won't - you can only call it as you see it, it also isn't my fault that I have seen more than the younger lads, and without being patronising, why not listen and accept sometimes some things that happen in the past are relevant ?

Now, I just KNOW someone like Gemmill will come along and clip the post and only answer what suits him .....  :rolleyes:

The last 15 years has been the best I've experienced, Ujpest Dozsa has said the same. If anything I think you younger lads have been far luckier than people my age and long may it continue .......

Ally, Ally.......I have posted on numerous occasions that age has nothing to do with it.

I think - really - that certain people on here shouldn't presume things so quickly ..... and I think YOU won't - you can only call it as you see it, it also isn't my fault that I have seen more than the younger lads, and without being patronising, why not listen and accept sometimes some things that happen in the past are relevant ?

I know its relevant, and of course having seen the club over a longer spell you've experienced more. We've been spoilt as young fans over the past 15 years, and I appreciate that you've been through some harder times as a fan through relegation etc, but that doesn't make anyone else's opinion less valid.

My Dad is 56 (similar age to you?) supported the team since he was a kid, but he doesn't bring up the past all the time. The pre 1990s board was dreadful and the word McKeag is a swear word in our house, but he will still criticise the current lot if need be. They might be better now than the old regime, but that doesn't make them good or immune from criticism. You wouldn't say that Babayaro is a good player just because you've seen worse left backs in the 70s, 80s etc, would you?

That might have lost coherence, but hope the point comes out. :lol:

I know its relevant, and of course having seen the club over a longer spell you've experienced more. We've been spoilt as young fans over the past 15 years, and I appreciate that you've been through some harder times as a fan through relegation etc, but that doesn't make anyone else's opinion less valid.

My Dad is 56 (similar age to you?) supported the team since he was a kid, but he doesn't bring up the past all the time. The pre 1990s board was dreadful and the word McKeag is a swear word in our house, but he will still criticise the current lot if need be. They might be better now than the old regime, but that doesn't make them good or immune from criticism. You wouldn't say that Babayaro is a good player just because you've seen worse left backs in the 70s, 80s etc, would you?

That might have lost coherence, but hope the point comes out. :lol:

Fair post, but I knew you would make a fair post. I still criticise the board, appointing Souness was a huge mistake as most of us know, although there are still some people around who defend his decision to sell Bellamy. How can anybody say we would not be better off if he was still here ? Amazing.

Babayaro is obviously a weak link in the team, and like a lot of people, and your dad, I would tell you the good left backs and the not so good ones and the poor ones. He would be in the middle section in my opinion.

You shouldn't really misinterpret my comments about the possibility of replacing the current board with an inferior one to mean anything other than what they say, because it is precisely what it means. It's only because people like me have seen worse directors that we realise such a thing is possible, I understand why some people may not see this. They should listen, its just common sense. If someone who supported the club in the 1950's told me something he believed and backed it up, I would listen to what he said. A bloke I know, told me that Bobby Mitchell was better than Tony Green. Now, I respect this blokes opinion, I don't believe him though  :lol: but nah....seriously, this bloke is a lifelong NUFC fan and if he thinks Mitchell was better than Tony Green then I accept he must have been special and I wouldn't argue with him about it.

Whatever. I hope you can see my point here. I know a few lads who are in their 20's just like you and they are as passionate about the club as anyone. One posts on here. But you can't disregard the past. People can either accept the club have moved forward a long way under the current major shareholders or not, but nobody else seems to think they can do better and appears to want to prove it either, so if they don't want to believe that, then there is really nothing else you can say.

I'm really gutted that no one picked up on my insanely amazing figment of knowledge about the pre 1900 shirts. I was well chuffed with that. :(

You were wrong though, weren't you?

Leazes, you quite openly said here: http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=21421.msg398864#msg398864

I have said in the past - before Roeders appointment and towards the end of Souness - that the next one is crucial for the club and if they get it wrong again they would rightly be under severe pressure.

It's not exactly looking good is it, the appointment of Roeder?

Now the board is under pressure, pressure you said this time they would deserve - so why the constant references to the distant past when people display their unhappiness?

I have said in the past - before Roeders appointment and towards the end of Souness - that the next one is crucial for the club and if they get it wrong again they would rightly be under severe pressure.

It's not exactly looking good is it, the appointment of Roeder?

Now the board is under pressure, pressure you said this time they would deserve - so why the constant references to the distant past when people display their unhappiness?

that is quite right, they will be under pressure if we don't improve next season. To do that he will need to spend his money well in the summer. I have never said that Roeder would have been my number 1 choice, but so long as he gives the job his best shot he deserves the support of the supporters. There was a case for giving him a chance, we have had managers with winning track records, and they were not the men for us, or maybe we didn't give them long enough. You see Dave, this is another problem. People say they want to "plan" and build etc, well Roeder is attempting to do just that, but nobody wants to give him time. So do they want to give somebody time or don't they ? They complain about buying "trophy" players, but now they are complaining the club isn't constantly buying players. In reality, they don't really have patience, they think they have, but they want instant success.

The board being under pressure is a different thing to them being replaced, however much you or me may want them out, it is not a high street PLC where they are replaced. Football is different, they will not go until they want to and it is also different to a normal situation in that there are not people around who are prepared to do better, even if they think they can and they want to.

But, as always, I can point out that we haven't done so badly, in fact we've done quite well. I am only pointing this out to people, it isn't really my fault if they think finding people who could do better would be automatic, this is simply pointing out the realistic alternatives, or not, as appears to be the case. The last thing we want is a board who have no ambition for the club, or don't have a desire to to what is best long term for the club, don't you agree ?

Don't you get tired of seeing people whinging on ? It wouldn't be so bad if there was something to whinge about........we all want to be top.......can't get my head around people whinging at the club playing in europe and buying top international footballers. THESE are the people who the southern arseholes and journos are laughing at, as that tosser did last night on MOTD

Guest Invicta_Toon

NE5

we won't even get into the intertoto this year. Do you class that as progress?

do you honestly believe Freddie's only ambition is to surpass the achievements of McKeag?

Next season? What about this one? Vic's post is very pertinent. Honest. :razz:

Also, why didn't Souness deserve the support of the fans, he was trying his best too...

I'm not sure anyone feels the board have done 'so badly', it's more a case of where we could be without some astonishingly bad decisions (that's my opinion anyway). Oh and it's not our job to name alternatives, purely because we're not paid hundreds of thousands of pounds to find them.

HTL has said very similar things, in fact going so far as to want Shepherd out if Roeder fails. Unless there is a pretty amazing change of events, that's going to happen. What are your thoughts on this?

NE5

do you honestly believe Freddie's only ambition is to surpass the achievements of McKeag?

The board has much more ambition than just surpassing McKeag, that's why they've supported successive managers in the transfer market with millions and millions of quid. It's the managers who didn't use that to build a team good enough to bring success and it's the players who in a number of separate matches when they could have won a trophy failed to perform on the day. This is obvious like.

NE5

the same mentality that thinks it is a divine right to progress...is the same as the one that doesn't understand that it is possible to get a worse board of directors...both views extremely naive....

What do you suggest they do ? Sack Roeder, and appoint a trophy winning manager, like Dalglish ?

98/99 season for me with 97/98 coming close, in fact i would say end of 97 season and 98/99 season, was so depressing when we lost to arsenal in the cup final, I was in Gran Canaria packed out with geordies. They played High by The Lighthouse Family after the game, still makes me depressed listening to that song now. Only positive for me in that season was Hamann!

Next season? What about this one? Vic's post is very pertinent. Honest. :razz:

Also, why didn't Souness deserve the support of the fans, he was trying his best too...

I'm not sure anyone feels the board have done 'so badly', it's more a case of where we could be without some astonishingly bad decisions (that's my opinion anyway). Oh and it's not our job to name alternatives, purely because we're not paid hundreds of thousands of pounds to find them.

HTL has said very similar things, in fact going so far as to want Shepherd out if Roeder fails. Unless there is a pretty amazing change of events, that's going to happen. What are your thoughts on this?

Souness didn't do his best for the club at all, he only did his best for himself.

What does how much you are paid have to do with it ? If you want a change of board no matter what, then you have to accept they could be worse - far worse in fact - and if you are prepared to do that, then its not really a good course of action is it ?