Contract talks halted!!

Skirge

No deals yet

Mar 22 2007

By Luke Edwards, The Journal

Newcastle United have responded to the club's dismal demise in the UEFA Cup by halting new contract talks as they reassess their plans for next season.

The Magpies had been in discussion with Titus Bramble, James Milner, Antoine Sibierski and Nolberto Solano about deal extensions, but have decided to postpone talks following the catastrophic defeat in Alkmaar.

Bramble, Sibierski and Solano are all out of contract in the summer and, in theory, can discuss terms with other clubs under the Bosman ruling.

But the trio are keen to remain at St James's Park next season and have waited for three months to hear if they are going to be offered new deals.

However, United chairman Freddie Shepherd has decided to discuss each player's individual circumstances again with manager Glenn Roeder before making a final decision on their futures.

The Journal understands that Roeder is keen to see any extensions limited to two years as he feels players perform better on short-term contracts as they know they cannot slip into the comfort zone and allow standards to slip on the pitch.

The biggest question mark hangs over Bramble's future as Roeder was far from complimentary about the defender's performance against Alkmaar last week and appears to have made him the scapegoat for a woeful team display in Holland.

Roeder has always insisted that the 25-year-old would still be at Newcastle next season and had urged Shepherd to award him a new contract.

But talks have been slow to materialise and it remains to be seen whether Roeder feels the same way about the player following his less-than-veiled criticism last week.

Bramble, who was dropped to the bench for the miserable 2-0 defeat at Charlton which followed the Magpies' European exit, continues to split opinion among the club's supporters with some arguing the powerful defender just needs a settled partner alongside him to find consistency and others insisting the former Ipswich prospect has suffered too many concentration lapses to be given another chance.

Portsmouth and Celtic have been keeping a close eye on Bramble's situation and it will be an interesting few weeks as the player will have to make a decision on whether to wait for United to offer him a new deal or enter into negotiations with another club.

A meeting between Shepherd and Bramble's advisers had been scheduled for Monday this week, but it failed to take place.

Sibierski is another player Roeder has always maintained he wanted to keep, but talks have also stalled, while Solano has still not discovered if the club will take up the option of another year.

Sibierski's advisers are believed to have wanted a two-year contract for their client but Newcastle have offered only a 12-month deal to the 32-year-old.

Solano, who, until the defeats by AZ and Charlton, had been a revelation at right-back, is also expected to accept a one-year extension when it is offered.

Talks with Milner, who is represented by the Professional Footballers' Association, have been going on since the start of the year but have still not been finalised. Milner, though, has indicated he wants to stay at the club after finally becoming a first-team regular.

Shepherd and Roeder must also make a decision on Oguchi Onyewu and Craig Moore in the coming weeks. Onyewu has only signed on loan from Standard Liege until the end of the season, while Moore, who has just returned from a long-term hamstring injury, is also out of contract in the summer.

Guest theunis

Dont know what the fuss is about. with how Rouder is in the transfer market ill give them all a contract just to be save we have enough bodies

Guest Gemmill

The point's already been made on Toontastic by Alex, but more worrying than the fact that he ever planned to offer Bramble a contract is the fact that he's changed his mind on the strength of one match.

"You know what Freddy?  It's all of a sudden come to my attention this lad is shit.  Lucky I spotted that before we signed him up for another 3 years eh?  Heehee!"

Guest shaun11177

Another indication of lack of planning and the general haphazard way the club is run.

A decision on a players contract should surely be taken 1 year before it expires,in respect of Bramble we should have said no thanks and we would have got 2-3m for him rather than the nothing we will get.

Why we would halt negotiations for Milner i have no idea+the decision on Solano can either be taken half way thru the season or at the end but you dont start negotiations and then stop them.

Sibierski shouldnt even be offered a new contract!

Guest Gemmill

Another indication of lack of planning and the general haphazard way the club is run.

A decision on a players contract should surely be taken 1 year before it expires,in respect of Bramble we should have said no thanks and we would have got 2-3m for him rather than the nothing we will get.

Why we would halt negotiations for Milner i have no idea+the decision on Solano can either be taken half way thru the season or at the end but you dont start negotiations and then stop them.

Sibierski shouldnt even be offered a new contract!

Aye spot on.  Especially the last sentence.  More evidence of NUFC's approach to "planning".

Guest Gemmill

Anyone would think football was the same as any other high street business from some of the stuff I read on here.

Would they?  How's that then?  As far as I'm aware, high street business don't handle their staff anyhing like football clubs......but perhaps you know differently.

Anyone would think football was the same as any other high street business from some of the stuff I read on here.

Any particular comments or just looking for a bite?

As Newcastle's overall squad depth and numbers needs strengthening, I would have thought offering a contract relative to their current position in the squad (starter, occasional bit player etc) with a salary that reflects that position should be the way forward.

If the player chooses not to accept it, fine, he goes.  But unless the plans are in place to replace those players and increase the numbers in the squad, I can't really see the logic in getting shot of them on the back of what is effectively one poor result.

Guest Gemmill

As Newcastle's overall squad depth and numbers needs strengthening, I would have thought offering a contract relative to their current position in the squad (starter, occasional bit player etc) with a salary that reflects that position should be the way forward.

If the player chooses not to accept it, fine, he goes.  But unless the plans are in place to replace those players and increase the numbers in the squad, I can't really see the logic in getting shot of them on the back of what is effectively one poor result.

Two of the four should be getting contracts renewed without any need for halting talks, and the other two should be shipped off imo.  Bramble and Sibierski being the losers.

No deals yet

Mar 22 2007

By Luke Edwards, The Journal

Newcastle United have responded to the club's dismal demise in the UEFA Cup by halting new contract talks as they reassess their plans for next season.

The Magpies had been in discussion with Titus Bramble, James Milner, Antoine Sibierski and Nolberto Solano about deal extensions, but have decided to postpone talks following the catastrophic defeat in Alkmaar.

Bramble, Sibierski and Solano are all out of contract in the summer and, in theory, can discuss terms with other clubs under the Bosman ruling.

But the trio are keen to remain at St James's Park next season and have waited for three months to hear if they are going to be offered new deals.

However, United chairman Freddie Shepherd has decided to discuss each player's individual circumstances again with manager Glenn Roeder before making a final decision on their futures.

The Journal understands that Roeder is keen to see any extensions limited to two years as he feels players perform better on short-term contracts as they know they cannot slip into the comfort zone and allow standards to slip on the pitch.

The biggest question mark hangs over Bramble's future as Roeder was far from complimentary about the defender's performance against Alkmaar last week and appears to have made him the scapegoat for a woeful team display in Holland.

Roeder has always insisted that the 25-year-old would still be at Newcastle next season and had urged Shepherd to award him a new contract.

But talks have been slow to materialise and it remains to be seen whether Roeder feels the same way about the player following his less-than-veiled criticism last week.

Bramble, who was dropped to the bench for the miserable 2-0 defeat at Charlton which followed the Magpies' European exit, continues to split opinion among the club's supporters with some arguing the powerful defender just needs a settled partner alongside him to find consistency and others insisting the former Ipswich prospect has suffered too many concentration lapses to be given another chance.

Portsmouth and Celtic have been keeping a close eye on Bramble's situation and it will be an interesting few weeks as the player will have to make a decision on whether to wait for United to offer him a new deal or enter into negotiations with another club.

A meeting between Shepherd and Bramble's advisers had been scheduled for Monday this week, but it failed to take place.

Sibierski is another player Roeder has always maintained he wanted to keep, but talks have also stalled, while Solano has still not discovered if the club will take up the option of another year.

Sibierski's advisers are believed to have wanted a two-year contract for their client but Newcastle have offered only a 12-month deal to the 32-year-old.

Solano, who, until the defeats by AZ and Charlton, had been a revelation at right-back, is also expected to accept a one-year extension when it is offered.

Talks with Milner, who is represented by the Professional Footballers' Association, have been going on since the start of the year but have still not been finalised. Milner, though, has indicated he wants to stay at the club after finally becoming a first-team regular.

Shepherd and Roeder must also make a decision on Oguchi Onyewu and Craig Moore in the coming weeks. Onyewu has only signed on loan from Standard Liege until the end of the season, while Moore, who has just returned from a long-term hamstring injury, is also out of contract in the summer.

Blatantly been reading my wages crisis thread. :cheesy:

Two of the four should be getting contracts renewed without any need for halting talks, and the other two should be shipped off imo.  Bramble and Sibierski being the losers.

CB is the one area where Newcastle have a number of players, the majority not exactly being wonderful, so I can well understand why Bramble could be allowed to leave.

Sibierski, as cover for attacking midfield/2nd striker I think can still offer something to the squad, I think he is worth an offer.  Last season I would have much preferred Sibierski playing for Spurs than Rasiak.

Guest Gemmill

CB is the one area where Newcastle have a number of players, the majority not exactly being wonderful, so I can well understand why Bramble could be allowed to leave.

Sibierski, as cover for attacking midfield/2nd striker I think can still offer something to the squad, I think he is worth an offer.  Last season I would have much preferred Sibierski playing for Spurs than Rasiak.

To me, Sibierski provides cover in the sense that he's a warm body that can replace another player on the pitch.  When I see the subs boards go up and Sibierski coming on though I don't think anything along the lines of "Oh this could change the game".  It's just "Oh.  Sibierski's coming on."

Realistically you would want him to be 5th choice at best.  And I'd sooner have one of the kid's as an emergency 5th choice.

Which is why I reckon he needs ditching.  He's had his Indian Summer, now we need to say cheers, and get shot.

Please god dont give Bungle a new contract. Sib, not good enough, say goodbye!

Milner - give him a contract of £15k a week, and £10k for every assist he makes :clap:

Solano - 1 or 2 year contract fine, as our RB.

Guest elbee909

I'm sure all the board members have similar incentives so they don't slip into any 'comfort zones'...

Guest Invicta_Toon

They're all free to talk to people right now yet they are hanging on to see what we will offer them

says it all tbh

Guest Ridzuan

Out of those three mentioned,I would give Milner a new contract.I like Nobby and Sibierski as well,but I think they wont be able to contribute much to the team in the upcoming seasons.

Not a cat in hell's chance that Milner will go. Unless of course the lad himself wants to leave, which you wouldn't really expect after such a good season for him.

And it would be idiotic to let Solano go. Totally stupid. I'm fairly sure Roeder knows this. I honestly can't see Nobby leaving.

I'd be willing to bet a hefty amount that Bramble will still be here by the time he is 30. :rolleyes: If he doesn't go, i'll be gutted.

He's not going to let Sibierski go either, cos i think Roeder likes him too much.

Realistically, the only one that i can see realistically leaving is Bramble - but it wouldn't surprise me in the sligtest if he were to stay. 1, because there's still the tiniest glimmer of hope that he'll turn out to be a decent defender - well, most managers seem to think that anyway - i know i don't. And 2, we won't be able to get anyone in to 'replace' him.