Roeder Q&A: Contracts for Edgar & maybe Bramble, Vocal minority are kinda idiots

BottledDog

Guest Invicta_Toon

Sounds like we are going to be splashing the cash:

Long-term planning holds key for Roeder

George Caulkin

Scrawled on a whiteboard above Glenn Roeders desk, is a sentence that encapsulates Newcastle Uniteds recent history and, perhaps, hints at a brighter future. Newcastle always buy one star here, one star there, but never a team, it reads. I look at that every day, Roeder, the manager, said yesterday. One star here, one star there, no team, no backbone.

Roeder is confident that Michael Owen, among others, will remain at St James Park after another season ravaged by injury and disappointment, but there was a caveat and a context to his comments. It can be argued that he risked silverware when refusing to overreach in the transfer market this season but, unlike several of his predecessors, he is gazing at the long term.

I speak to Michael every day and I would be shocked if he was not here next season, Roeder said. But like a lot of the big hitters and we have some big hitters, even though we dont have a team of them yet he will be looking to see who I bring in, because he, Scott Parker and Shay Given want to be part of a winning team.

Owen has not played for Newcastle since severely damaging anterior cruciate knee ligaments during the World Cup finals the club are continuing their case for compensation from Fifa and the FA but a player of his stature naturally prompts speculation.

The next step for Roeder is a vital one. Last year, I had targets I didnt get for a variety of reasons, he said. But I didnt panic and just buy players I wasnt certain about. It would have been here we go again players on four-year contracts, who in six months time are no use. You can say I was gambling with my job, but it was for the good of Newcastle United, not for myself.

We could have got players who were past their shelf life, because thats happened here in the past, players who are a name but thats all they are, on the way down. This summer, we go into it with room to manoeuvre in the squad.

Does the name Damien Duff not ring any bells with Roeder?

He blames everybody but himself.

who exactly is he on about here btw? No one immediately comes to mind. Most of our flops are the opposite - failed prospects not worn out has beens

doesn't even micheal owen fit that criteria?

who exactly is he on about here btw? No one immediately comes to mind. Most of our flops are the opposite - failed prospects not worn out has beens

He's possibly on about Luque as he came with a reputation and hasn't delivered, others have failed but I can't think of any that have reached any heights.

We could have got players who were past their shelf life, because that’s happened here in the past, players who are a name but that’s all they are, on the way down.

Possibly trying to justify snubbing Sol Campbell.

George Caulkin

Scrawled on a whiteboard above Glenn Roeder’s desk, is a sentence that encapsulates Newcastle United’s recent history and, perhaps, hints at a brighter future. “Newcastle always buy one star here, one star there, but never a team,” it reads. “I look at that every day,” Roeder, the manager, said yesterday. “One star here, one star there, no team, no backbone.”

Roeder is confident that Michael Owen, among others, will remain at St James’ Park after another season ravaged by injury and disappointment, but there was a caveat and a context to his comments. It can be argued that he risked silverware when refusing to overreach in the transfer market this season but, unlike several of his predecessors, he is gazing at the long term.

“I speak to Michael every day and I would be shocked if he was not here next season,” Roeder said. “But like a lot of the big hitters — and we have some big hitters, even though we don’t have a team of them yet — he will be looking to see who I bring in, because he, Scott Parker and Shay Given want to be part of a winning team.”

Owen has not played for Newcastle since severely damaging anterior cruciate knee ligaments during the World Cup finals — the club are continuing their case for compensation from Fifa and the FA — but a player of his stature naturally prompts speculation.

The next step for Roeder is a vital one. “Last year, I had targets I didn’t get for a variety of reasons,” he said. “But I didn’t panic and just buy players I wasn’t certain about. It would have been here we go again — players on four-year contracts, who in six months’ time are no use. You can say I was gambling with my job, but it was for the good of Newcastle United, not for myself.

“We could have got players who were past their shelf life, because that’s happened here in the past, players who are a name but that’s all they are, on the way down. This summer, we go into it with room to manoeuvre in the squad.”

He talks a good game, but I'll believe it when I see it.

George Caulkin

Scrawled on a whiteboard above Glenn Roeders desk, is a sentence that encapsulates Newcastle Uniteds recent history and, perhaps, hints at a brighter future. Newcastle always buy one star here, one star there, but never a team, it reads. I look at that every day, Roeder, the manager, said yesterday. One star here, one star there, no team, no backbone.

Roeder is confident that Michael Owen, among others, will remain at St James Park after another season ravaged by injury and disappointment, but there was a caveat and a context to his comments. It can be argued that he risked silverware when refusing to overreach in the transfer market this season but, unlike several of his predecessors, he is gazing at the long term.

I speak to Michael every day and I would be shocked if he was not here next season, Roeder said. But like a lot of the big hitters and we have some big hitters, even though we dont have a team of them yet he will be looking to see who I bring in, because he, Scott Parker and Shay Given want to be part of a winning team.

Owen has not played for Newcastle since severely damaging anterior cruciate knee ligaments during the World Cup finals the club are continuing their case for compensation from Fifa and the FA but a player of his stature naturally prompts speculation.

The next step for Roeder is a vital one. Last year, I had targets I didnt get for a variety of reasons, he said. But I didnt panic and just buy players I wasnt certain about. It would have been here we go again players on four-year contracts, who in six months time are no use. You can say I was gambling with my job, but it was for the good of Newcastle United, not for myself.

We could have got players who were past their shelf life, because thats happened here in the past, players who are a name but thats all they are, on the way down. This summer, we go into it with room to manoeuvre in the squad.

Does the name Damien Duff not ring any bells with Roeder?

He blames everybody but himself.

I would say he is on about the likes of Bowyer, Babayaro, Stephen Carr, Patrick Kluivert maybe?

I'm sure there are a few more too...

a lot of what he says makes sense. But like someone beofre me has just said, ill believe it when i see it. Give him the transfer window, give him some money, left him get rid of some dead wood, get Michael Owen back, then give him 10-15 games next season. No improvement, then im sorry, but we will just have to start all over again.

Guest Invicta_Toon

It's bollocks, he's said stuff that made sense before and subsequently never acted on it or actually done the opposite

the guy's got no cred with me anymore tbh

So Bungle is gonna get a new contract  :idiot2: "he's got 8 games to prove himself" - weve seen before he can have 8 decent games, but add that to the 20 shockers he has each season, are we SERIOUSLY gonna give him a contract based on 8 games?

How many other Prem teams will give Bungle a contract, esp matching his current wages. He'll be desperate to stay here  :'(

Roeder is taking NUFC fans for mugs.

So Bungle is gonna get a new contract  :idiot2: "he's got 8 games to prove himself" - weve seen before he can have 8 decent games, but add that to the 20 shockers he has each season, are we SERIOUSLY gonna give him a contract based on 8 games?

How many other Prem teams will give Bungle a contract, esp matching his current wages. He'll be desperate to stay here  :'(

Roeder is taking NUFC fans for mugs.

I dont think Bramble will get a new contract, Roeder is just saying that otherwise Bramble wont give a fuck because he'll be off in the Summer.

Looks like Bramble is a goner. So we're left with Taylor, Huntington, Ramage and hopefully Edgar. He said in the Journal that he wants at least 4 players with the majority of them being defenders. With him watching Portugal, Romania, Holland etc. I wonder who he is interested in. Chivu? Andrade? De Cler?

That Caulkin piece is Roeder's media game to a tea - well-meaning shite that sounds good to the unwashed but has zero basis in reality and no credibility with the "vocal minority" who, cantrary to what Roeder says, actually give some thought to matters at St James' Park...

The "four years contract" bit is ridiculous - you know Glenn, it is the club that offers the contract! You can offer a prospective player a one or two year contract with options to extend!!!

The one star here, one star there part also makes good sense on first reading, but does anyone believe he has the gumption to tell Freddy that? "Yes boss, no boss, three bags full boss" is surely how he speaks to Shepherd.

Telling us "big-hitters" like... Parker want a winning team here suggests he is still deluded enough to think our captain is a central plank in our side, which will bring groans to many Toon fans - yes, he is a decent player and has admirable qualities but is in no way a player to build a team around.

And the last one about past their shelf life - surely he can only be referring to Campbell, which means he's not paying particular attention to the other clubs in the EPL, or else he would know that Campbell has been fantastic at Pompey...

More clever soundbites that don't reflect reality...