People demanding for Roeder to leave now

Leazes1986

When we have a complete squad next season and we are challenging for fourth spot under Roeder I will remind you all of your lack of faith...

:lol: When we're mired in the bottom half of the table in March 2008, I'll remind you of this.

Well sit tight buddy cuz it's gonna be one long, bumpy, uncomfortable ride for you.

Never doubt the Roedmaestro!

This thread will be bumped and you will feel really silly.

You need to stop digging, it will be an awfully deep hole to try climb out of when you're wrong, which you will be.  O0

Guest Phil K

When we have a complete squad next season and we are challenging for fourth spot under Roeder I will remind you all of your lack of faith...

:lol: When we're mired in the bottom half of the table in March 2008, I'll remind you of this.

Well sit tight buddy cuz it's gonna be one long, bumpy, uncomfortable ride for you.

Never doubt the Roedmaestro!

This thread will be bumped and you will feel really silly.

The old saying could have been made for you mate -

"You can fool some people ALL the time..."

Leaving now will not make much of a difference either.I prefer him leaving at the end of the season.

He HAS to go.

I urge all fans NOT to renew.

we will be much better next season if Roeder is given some backing in the transfer window.

I reckon he would have learnt a lot this season. He's still fairly inexperienced but seems like he could grow into the job. I'm all for letting him complete his contract at least.

I don't mean to be rude, but that post is breathtaking in its naivety.  I've seen nothing to suggest he'll do anything other than f*** up the next transfer window, he's a bit long in the tooth to be growing into the job - if he was good enough we'd have seen some sign of it by now.

If we can get a decent replacement in the summer, I'll be MUCH happier going into next season.  If we've still got Roeder, I'll be renewing under protest.

I echo all but the renewal.

The fat bast*rd only listens to his wallet.

Renew and we've got the cheap alternative to a premier manager until he takes us to the brink of relegation again NEXT season.

Guest alijmitchell

His only mistake has not been signing the players we need. He has said this was due to the fact his position wasn't as stable last summer and also the fact that he was not happy with the options available in January and he felt what we had was good enough to see us through to this summer where he would be in a better position to address the squad.

I know it has become quite trendy to say we only play long ball footie with him but I disagree. We have played some decent football under him at times. I believe with better players in we will improve further.

His signing of Obafemi Martins is evidence to suggest that he has an eye for talent and will provide us with players that increase in value.

He rescued us from relegation when he came in and so he deserves a chance to see out his contract and have at least one summer, which he feels he is prepared for, to try and build our squad.

If he isn't succesful in doing that this summer, and as long as we are not heading for relegation, then at the end of the season his contract will be up and we can get someone else.

This is the sensible way in which we should operate that will prevent the club from getting even more negative publicity.

Thank you.

Good post. There is little we can realistically do at this point. We need to accept that we are not atop six side and deal with the fact that ok, roeder isn't good enough to take us where we want to be at the moment, but then sticking with him until the end of his contract is the only way to break the cycle of sacking and appointing another sub par manager. Stability is what we need, as long as we don't get relegated next season, (which even with roeder at the helm would appear to be difficult f we have both oba and owen fit) then we have progressed. We need to stop the rot, and keeping with roeder until the end of his contract is the only solution. We need to start looking for a manager to take over at the end of his contract as soon as possible, and then offer only when roeder's reign is up. We don't have another choice really, good managers are at successful clubs by and large, and the quality we need will not want to move here after another sacking.

I have two major problems with Roeder:

1. He has no mind for tactics.

2. He promised the fans he would bring in players in the transfer windows and both times he disappointed and made excuses.

He was good as a care taker last season, but we need a proper manager with a history of success.

Alex Ferguson had been a manager for 8 years when he joined Man U, and he didn't do particularly well then either.  He took the team to 2nd place and then they finished in 11th.  Then they finished 13th and everyone wanted him sacked.  It took a good few seasons to get them close to the club they are now.  And iirc they didn't have half the squad injured, including their best player.

I'm not posting this to prove we should keep Roeder on, I still haven't made my own mind up yet and don't envy Freddy's position.  But it's something to think about when we give managers barely a season and a half to get things right.

Alex Ferguson had been a manager for 8 years when he joined Man U, and he didn't do particularly well then either.  He took the team to 2nd place and then they finished in 11th.  Then they finished 13th and everyone wanted him sacked.  It took a good few seasons to get them close to the club they are now.  And iirc they didn't have half the squad injured, including their best player.

I'm not posting this to prove we should keep Roeder on, I still haven't made my own mind up yet and don't envy Freddy's position.  But it's something to think about when we give managers barely a season and a half to get things right.

He had shown some ability previously though, in winning the SPL and Uefa Cup Winners Cup with Aberdeen.

Alex Ferguson had been a manager for 8 years when he joined Man U, and he didn't do particularly well then either.  He took the team to 2nd place and then they finished in 11th.  Then they finished 13th and everyone wanted him sacked.  It took a good few seasons to get them close to the club they are now.  And iirc they didn't have half the squad injured, including their best player.

I'm not posting this to prove we should keep Roeder on, I still haven't made my own mind up yet and don't envy Freddy's position.  But it's something to think about when we give managers barely a season and a half to get things right.

He had shown some ability previously though, in winning the SPL and Uefa Cup Winners Cup with Aberdeen.

Koven,

I swear your working in some capacity for the club  :lol:.....Why not tell people why ManU persevered with Fergy:

1980:First managerial honour when Aberdeen win Scottish championship.

1982:Aberdeen win the Scottish Cup beating Rangers 4-1.

1983:Aberdeen retain Scottish Cup this time beating Rangers 1-0 and defeating Real Madrid 2-1 in Gothenburg to lift European Cup Winners'Cup.

1984:Aberdeen win League and Cup double beating Celtic 2-1 in theCup final. Ferguson awarded OBE.

With Aberdeen ffs!!

Now compare that to GR's record will you? Will you!!??

Koven,

I swear your working in some capacity for the club  :lol:.....Why not tell people why ManU persevered with Fergy:

1980:First managerial honour when Aberdeen win Scottish championship.

1982:Aberdeen win the Scottish Cup beating Rangers 4-1.

1983:Aberdeen retain Scottish Cup this time beating Rangers 1-0 and defeating Real Madrid 2-1 in Gothenburg to lift European Cup Winners'Cup.

1984:Aberdeen win League and Cup double beating Celtic 2-1 in theCup final. Ferguson awarded OBE.

With Aberdeen ffs!!

Now compare that to GR's record will you? Will you!!??

That's fair enough, I don't deny he had done well before.  I wasn't gonna post his entire career now was I.  In any case that didn't stop most of the fans wanting him sacked.  Are you telling me that if we were in that situation there wouldn't be loads of posts wanting AF sacked?  Or would everyone be pointing to his record?  Do me a favour, they would want him gone.

And when you say Aberdeen!!! they were better back then, they got to cup finals before AF joined and many attribute AF's success to the previous 2 managers, partly.  Although there is no denying he did fantastic there.

Alex Ferguson had been a manager for 8 years when he joined Man U, and he didn't do particularly well then either.  He took the team to 2nd place and then they finished in 11th.  Then they finished 13th and everyone wanted him sacked.  It took a good few seasons to get them close to the club they are now.  And iirc they didn't have half the squad injured, including their best player.

I'm not posting this to prove we should keep Roeder on, I still haven't made my own mind up yet and don't envy Freddy's position.  But it's something to think about when we give managers barely a season and a half to get things right.

Quite ridiculous justification/basis for keeping Roeder on.

I couldn't agree more. To compare the two is hilarious.

Guest Magic

I've said before, I think Roeder is kind of tactically naive at times, especially with his use of substitutions which he uses appaulingly (Roeder seems to think using substitutes is an admission that he's got things wrong). I do agree that there's a good chance that we might not get a decent replacement in.

It's not just the signings or stuff like that that gets my goat. We do play an awful lot of crap long ball football. When we pass it around (ie. vs Charlton) we are also generally pretty toothless. None of our players have any movement, they stand still all the time. We don't counter attack quickly.

Against Charlton at every defensive set piece we only left Oba up front. What's the point of that, he was never going to get the ball, we had no-one else outside the box so any clearences went straight to the opposition. Why not stick Dyer up front as well? Plenty of pace then, it would force an extra defender or two back, more chance of getting the ball and if we did get it we'd have had a slight chance of actually counter-attacking quickly. Our team just doesn't have any kind of aggressive attacking mindset. That needs to change.

We're just an incredibly boring, predictable team most of the time. Our only tactic (apart from hoof it long to Sib) seems to be pass it out wide and get a cross in. Even then we never have anyone attacking the near post so it's usually cleared easily on the edge of the 6 yard box. Any header out of the box invariably fall to the opposition because we never have anyone following in from central midfield. I believe that in defence you have to be solid, keep your shape so everyone can position themselves off one-another easily, everyone can mark better and the offside trap works. In attack on the other hand you want to be as fluid as possible, runners moving, quick passing to pull the opposition out of position and create holes to exploit. Our team is absolutely useless at the latter.

After Charlton went into the lead all our support shut up for the rest of the match. There was no hope at all. Everyone knew we weren't going to get back into the match. We have no attacking flair or ability at all. This is partly players not playing particularly well, partly some very poor tactical decisions on Roeder's part, and partly a catastrophic failure on the training ground to get players passing and moving and attacking fludly as a team. It's been stop-start passing all the time. Players with one or no options and nobody trying to provide another. The team didn't believe they could get back into it either; as soon as they went behind they just desperately hoofed it long for the rest of the match, incredibly ineffectually. Quite frankly we need our team to learn to attack as a unit, because at the moment they're hopeless. Yes on a few brief occasions we have played good football. This is more down to the fact that we do have some talented players, rather than inspired work from the coaching staff.

Perhaps one solution would be to hire a really attack-minded coach. Someone skilled at getting a team to pass and move and get him heavily involved with leading training sessions. That's something we are sorely missing. We have a CB as manager, a CB as assistant manager, and a battling midfielder as main coach. Of course we're going to be crap at attacking and lack fluency. We need our team to have a sense of flair, of pace and movement, of danger (apart from Titus and Taylor). It would be nice if Roeder could achieve this (I do think he's a decent, hard-working guy who cares about the club), either by changing his attitude or making a good coaching appointment, but if he's unwilling or unable to do this I do think we might have to look elsewhere for a manager. One who likes to attack.

So a manager doing poor in the first few seasons, culminating in the fans wanting him sacked doesn't compare at all to our situation?

Ok, then.

If you look at our situation, Roeder has actually done better than AF did in his first few seasons.

I'm not sure if you understand but people can't predict the future.  Hence why Man U fans at the time wanted him sacked.  You're reading my post and thinking how great AF has been over the last 10 years.  Have a think about that and have another go at replying.

So a manager doing poor in the first few seasons, culminating in the fans wanting him sacked doesn't compare at all to our situation?

Ok, then.

If you look at our situation, Roeder has actually done better than AF did in his first few seasons.

I'm not sure if you understand but people can't predict the future.  Hence why Man U fans at the time wanted him sacked.  You're reading my post and thinking how great AF has been over the last 10 years.  Have a think about that and have another go at replying.

You back a managment team on their track record - Roeder has no track record, AF did.  It has nothing to do with predicting the future.  In business, owners and other funders back management teams with track records - not ones who don't.

You don't seem to be able to grasp the concept that you are comparing two very different situations.  Just because our situation is comparable in terms of wanting the manager sacked, doesn't mean that its the same as Ferguson's situation.  Two very different people, different managers, different ability/quality at two very different clubs at two very different times.

Ok, then.

You back a managment team on their track record - Roeder has no track record, AF did.  It has nothing to do with predicting the future.  In business, owners and other funders back management teams with track records - not ones who don't.

You don't seem to be able to grasp the concept that you are comparing two very different situations.  Just because our situation is comparable in terms of wanting the manager sacked, doesn't mean that its the same as Ferguson's situation.   Two very different people, different managers, different ability/quality at two very different clubs at two very different times.

But if that's the case why did the fans want him sacked?  Just admit that if we were in that situation most of our fans would want AF sacked.

Kevin Keegan didn't have a track record either remember.  I would be happy with that level of success now.

Of course I know there will never be an identical comparison.  Arguably though, Roeder was successful enough last season to show he had some promise.

Nevertheless, I have already said that I haven't made my own mind up yet, but what is the point in sacking him when we have nobody (decent) to replace him.  We will end up going around in circles like we've been doing.

I don't know the answer, i'm just trying to get some alternate views going so we don't get 4 pages of "Sack the rat faced c***".

Ok, then.

You don't seem to be able to grasp the concept that you are comparing two very different situations.  Just because our situation is comparable in terms of wanting the manager sacked, doesn't mean that its the same as Ferguson's situation.  Two very different people, different managers, different ability/quality at two very different clubs at two very different times.

But if that's the case why did the fans want him sacked?  Just admit that if we were in that situation most of our fans would want AF sacked.

Kevin Keegan didn't have a track record either remember.  I would be happy with that level of success now.

Of course I know there will never be an identical comparison.  Arguably though, Roeder was successful enough last season to show he had some promise.

Nevertheless, I have already said that I haven't made my own mind up yet, but what is the point in sacking him when we have nobody (decent) to replace him.  We will end up going around in circles like we've been doing.

I don't know the answer, i'm just trying to get some alternate views going so we don't get 4 pages of "Sack the rat faced c***".

Keegan didn't have any track record at all in terms of management, you are correct. The difference here being that Roeder has a track record of failure.

Ok, then.

You don't seem to be able to grasp the concept that you are comparing two very different situations.  Just because our situation is comparable in terms of wanting the manager sacked, doesn't mean that its the same as Ferguson's situation.   Two very different people, different managers, different ability/quality at two very different clubs at two very different times.

I'm sorry, I understand your sentiment in your last post but just becuse the Man U fans wanted AF sacked and were wrong, doesn't mean that Newcastle fans wanting Roeder sacked are wrong.  Hindsight is a wonderful thing but on paper alone the differences are massive.  Roeder has not got a track record to speak of and comparing him to AF's circumstances leads me to believe that you think that Roeder can turn it around based on AF's history - two different people and I believe two different outcomes.  I appreciate you are not convinced about Roeder but its not wrong to want a manager out that you believe is not going to do the job based on his track record while here and supported by his appalling track record in the past.

Ok, then.

Do you think we should of kept Souness on? If no, why not?

Guest BooBoo

Why i ask? I know some of you don't have any faith in him whatsoever. I actually do and am prepared to give him another season. I didn't make this thread for an argument for or against Roeder though. This is more to do with Freddy Shepherd. Do any of you have faith in the fat man sacking him then actually appointing the right man and if you do on what basis? I certainly don't have any faith in him appointing the right manager whatsoever. How many managers are gonna look at the Newcastle job as an attractive job if Roeder was sacked after yet another manager was sacked in such a short space of time?

The more managers we go through the less attractive the job gets. I can't see many managers who is in a job now wanting to leave their job where they are comfortable for this job where they know if they don't have us in the top 6 in the space of 12-18 months then they will probably be out of a job. The only kind of manager we are likely to be able to attract is one who isn't having the best of times at his own club and knows he has nothing to lose (remember Souness). The simple fact is we will never be able to attract a top manager now until we have some stability. Chopping and changing the manager all of the time isn't gonna give us that. Roeder was brought in to give us that but we need to give him another year at the least because even if he doesn't take us as high as where we want to be, it might be better for the club in the long run. This chairman cannot be trusted to sack another manager after such a short space of time and appoint the right man. Its all well and good people saying they don't want Roeder as manager but getting rid of him when theres nobody out there is just stupid.

Thoughts?

Whereas i do want him out of the club, I can see your point and its a good one.

Ok, then.

Do you think we should of kept Souness on? If no, why not?

No I didn't however, the fact i'm sitting on the fence with Roeder means I don't have absolute faith in him either.  Don't assume I love Roeder when I don't.

Reasons why Souness should have been sacked:

Fell out with way too many players.  They obviously had no respect for him.  No mention of this with Roeder and in fact, we hear the exact opposite.  There have been no problems with players since Roeder has been here I don't think.  Other than the performances on the pitch of course.

Rubbish league positions with less injuries than Roeder.  This does apply to Roeder but to a lesser extent.

Rubbish training methods and rubbish signings.  He spent £50 million and didn't get much to show for it.

Universally hated by fans which affects the players.

Plus loads more.  You know how bad it was.

I think most people will agree that the present situation isn't AS bad as under Souness.  The question is whether it's bad enough to risk another rubbish manager getting appointed.

every team has made the wrong managerial appointments before, some more often than others but no one has not.

before Ferguson, Manure had Sexton and Atkinson.

before Wenger there was Rioch.

before Jol there were Ardiles, Francis, Gross, Graham, Hoddle.

before Mourinho there were Gullit, Vialli, Ranieri.

i could go on and on.

the point is, it makes no sense to stick with a guy who is not good enough, especially when he has never shown any signs that he ever was or ever will be.

Manure, CHelsea, Spurs, and Arsenal have made great strides only after taking the brave decision to sack their guy and try again with someone they believe to be better.

i wonder what would have happened if, say Arsenal thought "what if the next guy who comes in is worse than Rioch" and decided to stick with him?

if you feel roeder is good enough, than fair play to you, it's your opinion. but if you can see that he isn't, then for me it's very very silly to think we may as well keep him for stability's sake since FFS might hire someone worse.