England

Stevie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

England arent going to win anything unless there is an increase in technically competent players coming through.

Its great having effort, work rate, commitment, even end product, in the mix, but put that up against an entire team that can control the ball with ability and theyll get dominated.

This will never happen when you have a team full of Beckhams, Lampards and Gerrards. Having Rooney makes no difference when the team as a whole arent able to keep the ball, all that happens is that he gets isolated and cut out of the game as the rest of the team struggle to string a few passes together and just get ever more defensive, with his only hope being to do some individual magic and dribble past a few players.

I feel sorry for Svenn in a way, because it was always a no win situation for him. If he drops the Lampards, Gerrards and Beckhams for players with more technical ability, players better at the simpler things, then he gets crucified if England lose, and those players probably arent good enough to be playing at that level in the first place. If he doesnt drop them, his only hope is to get the team to defend strongly as a whole, and hope that the end product of these star players wins them the game - attacking against teams like Portugal, Brazil, France, etc, would just result in losses anyway, as theyll still dominate the possession and have more chances to score as a result. Unforunately, all of England's stars go missing in the really big games, so all we see is defensive tactics and poor performances.

Maybe were simply not good enough to win anything at international level with the current crop of players.

We've never had the right balance.

For ages we've had no real left winger, this is a major problem.

We still haven't got a worldclass keeper, which you need time and time again in big tournaments, its ok in qualifying but at KO level keepers can make or break a game.

We also have lots of short strikers, and the only one above 6ft is a total donkey in the air. No aerial threat surely makes our game very easy to read.

The Gerrard Vs Lampard debate will run on until the retire, this is a major problem that really will never sort itself out.

Guest Invicta_Toon

what a daft poll. Why single out Jocks as separate to foreigners? where's the welsh and northern irish options?

England arent going to win anything unless there is an increase in technically competent players coming through.

Its great having effort, work rate, commitment, even end product, in the mix, but put that up against an entire team that can control the ball with ability and theyll get dominated.

This (technically good team) will never happen when you have a team full of Beckhams, Lampards and Gerrards. Having Rooney makes no difference when the team as a whole arent able to keep the ball, all that happens is that he gets isolated and cut out of the game as the rest of the team struggle to string a few passes together and just get ever more defensive, with his only hope being to do some individual magic and dribble past a few players.

I feel sorry for Svenn in a way, because it was always a no win situation for him. If he drops the Lampards, Gerrards and Beckhams for players with more technical ability, players better at the simpler things, then he gets crucified if England lose, and those players probably arent good enough to be playing at that level in the first place. If he doesnt drop them, his only hope is to get the team to defend strongly as a whole, and hope that the end product of these star players wins them the game - attacking against teams like Portugal, Brazil, France, etc, would just result in losses anyway, as theyll still dominate the possession and have more chances to score as a result. Unforunately, all of England's stars go missing in the really big games, so all we see is defensive tactics and poor performances.

Maybe were simply not good enough to win anything at international level with the current crop of players.

I've had  a canny drink and I find things funnier when I've had a gargle but I'm laughing at that. heejeje;'

I'm fed up with my Dad and his generation telling me how good it was to win the World Cup-I don't care where our boss comes from(although not Sunderland),as long as he brings England some silverware,I don't care.As for the Toon,simply change above words,"World"to "UEFA" and "England" to "Toon"!

There's a depressing lack of urgency in every game.

The players think they just have to turn up and they'll win. Every fucking time.

There's a history to that, though, given that in past, if we fell behind, we'd start just running round and impressing everyone with our passion but adhering to no game plan. I used to be impressed by the way that the German team, if they conceded a goal, just settled back into their system and started working forward again. We always just seemed to charge at everything, in similar situations, and eventually emerge as the heroic losers.

When England were at their best under Eriksson it was because they'd finally mastered the ability to keep cool and stick to a plan. When they were at their worst, on the other hand, it was because they'd forgotten how to ramp it up a notch or two when necessary. The ideal England coach would get them to start putting the two things together.

what a daft poll. Why single out Jocks as separate to foreigners? where's the welsh and northern irish options?

Scotland is famed for great managers, much better than ours and were far more deserving of a voting slot than Welsh or fuckin Northern Irish.  Northern Irish pmsl.  Like who Willie Mc, Jim Magilton or Sammy McIlroy who's greatest achievement was getting League status for Macclesfield??!?  I actually can't think of anymore Ulster managers at this hour.

Scotland is famed for great managers, much better than ours and were far more deserving of a voting slot than Welsh or fuckin Northern Irish.  Northern Irish pmsl.  Like who Willie Mc, Jim Magilton or Sammy McIlroy who's greatest achievement was getting League status for Macclesfield??!?  I actually can't think of anymore Ulster managers at this hour.

Is Martin O'Neill north or south?

I class him as South as a Republican and a catholic from Derry.

South it is then

South it is then

hehe I don't really, I was just trying to hide the fact that I completely forgot about him.  We're all human.

South it is then

hehe I don't really, I was just trying to hide the fact that I completely forgot about him.   We're all human.

blame it on the drink (again)

I'm going to get absolutely hammered beforehand to get through what will inevitably be a spirit-crushingly predictable and tedious 90 minutes, where we will probably scrape by 1-0 or 2-1 and then have to listen to McClaren beam about how 'determined' and 'resilient' our team were, even though they just scraped past a team they would stuff if someone with a brain and some bollocks to whip the egos of the likes of Lampard into to gear was in charge

So we start the game with two right-footers on the left, and both Lampard and Gerrard in the middle.

Same old bollocks of players being "too good" to be left on the bench, and so we have individuals out of position instead of a team where players are playing their usual game.