Hunty 'all set' to sign new contract until 2010

Unlucky Luque

From SSN:

Newcastle United defender Paul Huntington is all set to be rewarded for a series of promising displays with a new contract until 2010.

The 19-year-old defender has broken into Glenn Roeder's first team ranks this season and having not let his manager down when called upon, a fresh deal has been put on the table.

Newcastle's defensive ranks could be set for a reshuffle in the summer, with Titus Bramble, Craig Moore and Oguchi Onyewu all potentially on their way out, but it would appear Huntington is one player very much at the forefront of Roeder's thinking.

Huntington's preferred position is centre-back but more often than not he has filled in at full-back, with Roeder confident he will flourish when handed an extended run in his more natural role.

"Going back he was one of my Academy boys when I first took over and while some people may not have been sure about him I took a shine to him straightaway," he told the Evening Chronicle.

"At the start of the season I had him pencilled in to blood him in a couple of games, but because of our injury crisis he is in double figures.

"He has had a longer run in the first team than even he expected and he has not let anyone down. Yes he found it hard in Holland last Thursday night but it is tough in Europe and that boy (Julian) Jenner is a very, very good young winger indeed.

"And let's not forget that Huntington was playing at left-back which, if the truth was known, is his least favoured position. But, like the rest of the players we have had to ask to stand in a full-back, he has never complained.

"When he was given a chance to play in his best position of centre-half against West Ham at St James' Park at end of January he did very well alongside David Edgar when he came on as substitute."

good news IMO. Would keep him as long as he gets to play CB. I think him and Edgar could possibly be regulars in a few years time

Isnt Edgar out of contract at the end of the season? Bit worrying this as I would have thought they would have done them both at the same time.

Expect a bid for Jenner  ;)

Roeder has already stated he expects Edgar here next year.

Guest Knightrider

Loan him out next season, monitor his progress and if he isn't showing any real promise, sell him on the following season, same goes for others like him at the club. Something we should have done with Ramage. By promise I don't mean setting the world alight, just looking capable of performing at this level to a decent standard. A year's worth of experience at the right Championship club would give us a real insight into whether he can become that player, or not.

Yes he found it hard in Holland last Thursday night but it is tough in Europe and that boy (Julian) Jenner is a very, very good young winger indeed.

"And let's not forget that Huntington was playing at left-back which, if the truth was known, is his least favoured position."

shouldn't have played him at LB then, muppet.

Huntington's dissimilar to Taylor, Edgar and to a lesser extent Ramage in that he looks like a CB and a CB only, while the others have shown themselves to be a bit more versatile and able in the wide defensive positions.  I do think Hunty has a lot to offer us as a CB in the future, and thus we're right to tie him down.

Guest Mantis

I'm sure with the right coaching and proper opportunities he can develop into a good player.  I think a spell with a team at the right end of the Championship may be good for him.

I cant be bothered with the 'He was awful at AZ rubbish'  Its like playing Owen on the left wing and saying he didnt get many crosses in. 

Good luck to the kid.

I'm sure with the right coaching and proper opportunities he can develop into a good player.  I think a spell with a team at the right end of the Championship may be good for him.

I cant be bothered with the 'He was awful at AZ rubbish'  Its like playing Owen on the left wing and saying he didnt get many crosses in. 

Good luck to the kid.

Agree 100%. Roeder hung him out to dry against AZ. Not his fault at all.