Newcastle submit £300m plans to develop SJP - Official

kirkwdavis2001

Anything directors do to improve the club at any stage is with the intention to improve the club which automatically boosts the share price, whats wrong with that ? You and others make comments on business, this is business isn't it ? Do you not want them to improve the club ? Do you understand this was my meaning, or not ?

I didn't understand what point you were making, I presumed you seen a post by me mentioning the board and went off on one like you usually do.

I've no problem with what the board are doing, I think it's great that they are looking at ways to improve the clubs finances which can only be a good thing for us long term, I've spoke before how I think the club is understaffed at management level so it was also good to see them bring in this chap Walton to supervise the whole project.

As for your point about a takeover, I'm not naive enough to think anyone will be better than the current board however anyone spending the kind of money being talked about to buy NUFC will know doubt want to see the clubs value rise, the obvious way to do that is to invest money and push on to the CL.

I'm not completely ungrateful for what the current board have done for us, however even you will find it hard to deny that the club are going in the wrong direction and have been for a while now, nothing that a top manager (or DOF ;)) wouldn't sort out I know but after the appointments of both Souness and Roeder I have no faith in Shepherd or the other directors employing that man.

you see, this is what I don't understand. Why not ? They appointed Bobby Robson didn't they ? They also attracted and appointed a manager who had won 4 league titles, 2 FA Cups and 3 manager of the year awards ? However Roeder has turned out, and he does appear to be feeling the pressure now, it had its merits, he deserved a chance, and it might have succeeded. You have to accept that all clubs make poor appointments. Maybe he is not the same without Shearer alongside him ?

Why do I get the feeling that so many people appear to be completely unrealistic about football ? Roeder has had a crack, and anything other than a rapid turnaround will see him gone. This is the same for EVERY club, Arsenal, Chelsea, ManU and Liverpool have all made bad choices too. I know you won't believe this, but its true.

The board will in fact be gone as soon as someone actually wants the club and is prepared to try to do better, and is committed enough to want to show it. Whether they will ACTUALLY SUCCEED in being better, is a different matter entirely.

They may make a better financial job of it, and take more dividends, and do worse on the pitch and invest less on players ? Who would be happy with that ?

The job of managing the most "desperate for success" club in Britain and the rewards it would bring, which have been shown to everyone by Keegan, is a job to die for, and only a coward would turn it down, of which there have been 2 people that did this.

On the other hand, as you appear to think anything other than being one of the 2 teams that win one of the 2 major domestic trophies is failure, you have unrealistic levels of expectation.  Near to impossible in actual fact.

I have stated my opinion on a DOF. A good manager doesn't necessarily need one, and there is nothing wrong with NUFC that a good manager wouldn't put right, apart from fickle supporters who say they want the club to "plan" but in reality don't have the patience.

Just away from the board-related stuff for a second, the other year when our pitch was utter wank, was it nothing to do with the poor light & weather reaching the surface? Surely that would only get worse.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Just away from the board-related stuff for a second, the other year when our pitch was utter wank, was it nothing to do with the poor light & weather reaching the surface? Surely that would only get worse.

we have fancy under pitch and greenhouse stuff to fix that now

Is there a link to that info?

I think it was mainly the poor light meaning the grass didn't grow properly, they seem to have fixed that though with those oversized grow-lights they got from Holland.

Guest Invicta_Toon

only the synaptic links in my head

Guest Knightrider

We now deploy a lighting/heating system for the pitch which has almost eradicated all surface issues like poor light etc.

Someone posted a picture of them, but I'm not sure in which thread it was.

Anything directors do to improve the club at any stage is with the intention to improve the club which automatically boosts the share price, whats wrong with that ? You and others make comments on business, this is business isn't it ? Do you not want them to improve the club ? Do you understand this was my meaning, or not ?

I didn't understand what point you were making, I presumed you seen a post by me mentioning the board and went off on one like you usually do.

I've no problem with what the board are doing, I think it's great that they are looking at ways to improve the clubs finances which can only be a good thing for us long term, I've spoke before how I think the club is understaffed at management level so it was also good to see them bring in this chap Walton to supervise the whole project.

As for your point about a takeover, I'm not naive enough to think anyone will be better than the current board however anyone spending the kind of money being talked about to buy NUFC will know doubt want to see the clubs value rise, the obvious way to do that is to invest money and push on to the CL.

I'm not completely ungrateful for what the current board have done for us, however even you will find it hard to deny that the club are going in the wrong direction and have been for a while now, nothing that a top manager (or DOF ;)) wouldn't sort out I know but after the appointments of both Souness and Roeder I have no faith in Shepherd or the other directors employing that man.

you see, this is what I don't understand. Why not ? They appointed Bobby Robson didn't they ? They also attracted and appointed a manager who had won 4 league titles, 2 FA Cups and 3 manager of the year awards ? However Roeder has turned out, and he does appear to be feeling the pressure now, it had its merits, he deserved a chance, and it might have succeeded. You have to accept that all clubs make poor appointments. Maybe he is not the same without Shearer alongside him ?

Why do I get the feeling that so many people appear to be completely unrealistic about football ? Roeder has had a crack, and anything other than a rapid turnaround will see him gone. This is the same for EVERY club, Arsenal, Chelsea, ManU and Liverpool have all made bad choices too. I know you won't believe this, but its true.

The board will in fact be gone as soon as someone actually wants the club and is prepared to try to do better, and is committed enough to want to show it. Whether they will ACTUALLY SUCCEED in being better, is a different matter entirely.

They may make a better financial job of it, and take more dividends, and do worse on the pitch and invest less on players ? Who would be happy with that ?

The job of managing the most "desperate for success" club in Britain and the rewards it would bring, which have been shown to everyone by Keegan, is a job to die for, and only a coward would turn it down, of which there have been 2 people that did this.

On the other hand, as you appear to think anything other than being one of the 2 teams that win one of the 2 major domestic trophies is failure, you have unrealistic levels of expectation.  Near to impossible in actual fact.

I have stated my opinion on a DOF. A good manager doesn't necessarily need one, and there is nothing wrong with NUFC that a good manager wouldn't put right, apart from fickle supporters who say they want the club to "plan" but in reality don't have the patience.

Because Dalglish and Sir Bobby were the obvious choice as manager, don't you think? Both successful and both British.

The board seem to have a phobia about foreign managers, maybe Gullit put them off for life? Whatever the reason they need to change that way of thinking. As I've said Sir Bobby and Dalglish were obvious because they were both successful British managers, who falls into the category now? Alex Ferguson and....??? Which is where the problem lies, with no successful British manager available for us to pick up and our reluctance to appoint another foreign coach, we're left with the likes of Souness and Roeder, two of the worst managers since the Premiership started.

I dread to think who will be next. Bruce?

As for me having unrealistic levels of expectation, I don't remember ever discussing my expectations of the club with you (or Leazes Mag for that matter) so don't presume I think something that I don't, as I've said, the club is slowly slipping backwards while other clubs are catching up on us and in some cases have already overtaken us.

Just away from the board-related stuff for a second, the other year when our pitch was utter w***, was it nothing to do with the poor light & weather reaching the surface? Surely that would only get worse.

Lazy bastard.

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/news/tm_method=full%26objectid=16516117%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

Because Dalglish and Sir Bobby were the obvious choice as manager, don't you think? Both successful and both British.

The board seem to have a phobia about foreign managers, maybe Gullit put them off for life? Whatever the reason they need to change that way of thinking. As I've said Sir Bobby and Dalglish were obvious because they were both successful British managers, who falls into the category now? Alex Ferguson and....??? Which is where the problem lies, with no successful British manager available for us to pick up and our reluctance to appoint another foreign coach, we're left with the likes of Souness and Roeder, two of the worst managers since the Premiership started.

As for me having unrealistic levels of expectation, I don't remember ever discussing my expectations of the club with you (or Leazes Mag for that matter) so don't presume I think something that I don't, as I've said, the club is slowly slipping backwards while other clubs are catching up on us and in some cases have already overtaken us.

Poor managers take you downwards. Good managers take you back upwards, thats all there is to it. Good managers need backing and time. I would be more worried if I thought we would appont a good manager and lose him through not being backed by a board that shared his ambition. However, that won't happen at Newcastle.

Edit. As for Dalglish and Robson. Both had YEARS to come to Newcastle did. BOTH of them would not have even looked at the job before 1992. This is especially significant regarding Bobby Robson, being a Newcastle supporter, and showing no interest whatsoever in managing his team. How many times did we change manager when he was at Ipswich >? Bloody Ipswich, and he wasn't interested in managing Newcastle ? What does that tell you. Likewise Howard Kendall, who had won the title and FA Cup and Cup Winners Cup with Everton, and actually turned the job down. Would YOU turn down managing Newcastle United. Ironically, the team he won those cups with at Everton was for the most part composed of youngsters who all signed for Everton when Gordon Lee was their manager. Yes, Gordon Lee, who put together a Newcastle team that qualified for europe via a top 5 position for the one and only time until Keegan walked through the door, and he left for Everton because they were a bigger club, or acted it, than Newcastle.

So, in essence, Bobby Robson was no more an obvious choice than he had been for 30 years. It was only the current board who got him and had built a club good enough to tempt him.

Poor managers take you downwards. Good managers take you back upwards, thats all there is to it. Good managers need backing and time. I would be more worried if I thought we would appont a good manager and lose him through not being backed by a board that shared his ambition. However, that won't happen at Newcastle.

You're right it'll not happen, we'll appoint shite and give them close to £50 million to blow.  When that doesn't work we'll appoint a serial failure and hope that it'll work because we've never appointed one before, at least not one with an English accent.

bluelaugh.gif

Just away from the board-related stuff for a second, the other year when our pitch was utter w***, was it nothing to do with the poor light & weather reaching the surface? Surely that would only get worse.

Lazy bastard.

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/news/tm_method=full%26objectid=16516117%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

Ta.

Edit. As for Dalglish and Robson. Both had YEARS to come to Newcastle did. BOTH of them would not have even looked at the job before 1992. This is especially significant regarding Bobby Robson, being a Newcastle supporter, and showing no interest whatsoever in managing his team. How many times did we change manager when he was at Ipswich >? Bloody Ipswich, and he wasn't interested in managing Newcastle ? What does that tell you. Likewise Howard Kendall, who had won the title and FA Cup and Cup Winners Cup with Everton, and actually turned the job down. Would YOU turn down managing Newcastle United. Ironically, the team he won those cups with at Everton was for the most part composed of youngsters who all signed for Everton when Gordon Lee was their manager. Yes, Gordon Lee, who put together a Newcastle team that qualified for europe via a top 5 position for the one and only time until Keegan walked through the door, and he left for Everton because they were a bigger club, or acted it, than Newcastle.

So, in essence, Bobby Robson was no more an obvious choice than he had been for 30 years. It was only the current board who got him and had built a club good enough to tempt him.

Yes we're better off now than we were pre 1992, but that has nothing to do with the comments I've made.

No need to bring it up all the time, we're talking about Newcastle United in 2007.

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/8360/sjp65do9.jpg

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/2441/sjp70s1sb8.jpg

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/8839/rwsjp2kb8.jpg

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/7491/newcastlestjamesparkbg4.jpg

http://www.soccermania.dk/layout-stadionbilleder/st%20james%20park%20publikum.jpg

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/8128/gallowgateow8cz4nd7.jpg

This is the same for EVERY club, Arsenal, Chelsea, ManU and Liverpool have all made bad choices too. I know you won't believe this, but its true.

Perhaps you can name the bad managerial choices any of these clubs have made in the last ten years.

This is the same for EVERY club, Arsenal, Chelsea, ManU and Liverpool have all made bad choices too. I know you won't believe this, but its true.

Perhaps you can name the bad managerial choices any of these clubs have made in the last ten years.

Gullit...? ;)

Yes we're better off now than we were pre 1992, but that has nothing to do with the comments I've made.

No need to bring it up all the time, we're talking about Newcastle United in 2007.

there is no need for you to harp on all the time about DOF's either.

Nor is there any need to constantly blind yourself to the fact that we have moved up the football ladder hugely under the current board, which is the point I am making, whether the current situation is not as good as when Keegan was manager or not. The FACT - is that bringing in a board with no ambition for the club will see a guaranteed crap future, no matter how many DOF's they appoint or anyone else for that matter.

I fail to see the relevance of it being 2007. I am talking about the realistic practicality of the current situation, and weighing up the odds of replacing with better or worse.

You're right it'll not happen, we'll appoint shite and give them close to £50 million to blow.  When that doesn't work we'll appoint a serial failure and hope that it'll work because we've never appointed one before, at least not one with an English accent.

bluelaugh.gif

I don't want that to happen any more than you do Mick

Gullit...? ;)

aye, Gullit. And Vialli too, where is he these days  ;)

When did Liverpool appoint Roy Evans ? And just before Wenger, Arsenal appointed Rioch, who last a year.

Food for thought for mandiarse is that if Keegan had not left, then he could well still be here just as Wenger and Ferguson. In the meantime, we will see who they appoint in the next 10 years I think  :lol:

Anyway, its not bad, only 4 clubs. How many other clubs can you name that haven't made any shit appointments Ozzie ?

mackems.gif

We can't talk about 'the current Board' as though nothing has changed since 1992. Sir John Hall ran things in a different way from Shepherd, and Shepherd himself has become more and more autocratic and involved in the football side over the years since he took over.

Regardless of the amount of money being spent, and who the manager is, we'll continue to decline because in Freddie we've effectively got a Director of Football who knows bugger all about football.