Emre: I'm gannin neewhere

Guest smoggeordie

Guest Gemmill

Errr, could it be that Erol Bulut is a friend of Emre, and is allowed to train with Newcastle since he's visiting anyway? It doesn't have to be something completely ridiculous behind this.

To be fair though, we're a Premiership football club, not a doss house for travelling Turks.  If I was a friend of Emre's, I wouldn't expect to get a kickabout, professional footballer or not.

Errr, could it be that Erol Bulut is a friend of Emre, and is allowed to train with Newcastle since he's visiting anyway? It doesn't have to be something completely ridiculous behind this.

Err.... considering we never seen emre with his lasses before?

He's got more than 1 wife?

He's got more than 1 wife?

Really? i thought on other occasion... he said he was not ready to some commitment?

Guest PMtoon

Thought you might like to see the full interview, not just what anal chooses to copy.

Doesn't sound to homesick.

TimesApril 5, 2007

Emre draws line under racism row to focus on the futureSuna Erdem

“I am a Turk in England. We are ambassadors for our country. Just imagine how awful it would have been if I, of all people, had been found guilty of racism. It would have affected my career — and the careers of other Turks trying to go abroad.”

Emre Belözoglu, the Newcastle United and Turkey midfield player, shudders at the thought of what might have been if he had not been cleared, ten days earlier, of racism — he had been the first player in the Barclays Premiership to face such charges.

“You know, in Turkish there is a saying: ‘Sling mud and the stain will never come off,’ ” Emre said in his first interview since the case ended. “Well, I know in my heart that I am not guilty, but if you have such a conviction on your record, how do you ever get away from it?”

Emre was charged in January by the FA after complaints from Joseph Yobo, Joleon Lescott and Tim Howard for comments allegedly made in an angry exchange during Newcastle’s 3-0 defeat by Everton at Goodison Park on December 30. But an independent disciplinary commission found on March 19 that the charges were “not proven”.

Immediately, Emre flew off to join his Turkey teammates for two European Championship qualifying matches and made a creditable return to the national team after injury and a ban, playing in Turkey’s 2-2 draw against Norway behind closed doors in Frankfurt.

“It was good to play for Turkey again and it’s a relief that this is all over,” Emre, 26, said, but the relief is tempered by the effects of those three months between accusations and acquittal. “I did not break down, I did not shed tears, but of course it was very tough. It would have been better if I had been fit and played through it — otherwise you have time to dwell on it.

“Sometimes we laugh and sometimes we cry in life — there is nothing much we can do about some things. But even the thought of such an accusation was very troubling for the future.”

Emre does not try to draw a veil over the day that nearly ruined his career in England. “There is nothing to forget — there was nothing much at all, really,” he said. “There was a bit of a tussle, but nothing bad, nothing to make me particularly angry. People swore — the usual things that everybody says — and I think I said something similar in Turkish.”

Emre has a penchant for international swearwords, it seems. In a previous match, the former Inter Milan player was accused of calling a rival coach a whore.

But did he say “f***ing n***** or f***ing negro, as his accusers asserted? “I didn’t know those words — not what they meant nor even how they are pronounced,” Emre said. “You know, I learn most of my English in the locker-room and I never heard anyone say that.”

Emre is thankful to Newcastle for standing by him and has made few enemies during a career that has included four league titles and a Uefa Cup victory with Galatasaray in his teens, as well as progressing to the semi-finals of the 2002 World Cup. Despite being one of the most successful Turkish exports in football, his name has not been linked to models and nightclub brawls. In fact, he rarely has a cross word to say about anyone.

But on the pitch it is a different story. A crafty, technical player with a reputation as an emotional hothead, the likeable Emre often deserts him in the game for a shouting, pouting, shoving Mr Hyde.

In February last year he was given a six-game ban — which was later reduced to four — and a hefty fine for his role in a brawl after Turkey’s 2006 World Cup qualifying defeat by Switzerland.

Emre admits that he can be aggressive. “But everybody swears, don’t they?” he said. But racism is different. “I condemn it utterly. I don’t categorise my friends by colour. When I first came to England, my press conference was a week after the London bombings. There was a lot of talk of blaming Muslims, so I thought I must say something — I said I condemned terrorism and racism. Isn’t it ironic?”

With typical diplomacy, he expresses understanding for his accusers. “I’m sure they sincerely believed I said those words,” Emre said. “But it was a misunderstanding — they may have misinterpreted one of my Turkish swearwords. You can’t criticise them for being oversensitive — you cannot know what they go through unless you can put yourself in their shoes.”

Racism does not really come up as an issue in Turkey, Emre acknowledges. There are many black footballers in Turkey, but the league is not noted for complaints about racism from players. On the contrary, many are fêted as heroes. But there are few black people in society and the casual private racism of some of the older generation does not tend to find its way into the public domain. Now Emre has been cleared and his injury has healed, he can look forward to getting on with his life in Newcastle, where he says he enjoys a quiet life of training, dinner with friends, shopping and beach volleyball (“It’s not quite as hot as Turkey, though”). But he admits that there have been offers from clubs such as Bayern Munich and Hertha Berlin.

“My plan from now is to best serve the club which gave me such support,” Emre said, clearly touched that he should have such strong backers in a foreign land. “I have a contract until 2010. I am happy with my life here and I would like to stay now I have been cleared. But if the club say they would benefit from my moving then I would think about it.”

For now, though, all talk of transfers has been put on hold as Emre gets on with doing what he does best — playing football

Guest Albert Ayler

how long should we keep someone random around to keep a very ordinary, oft-disappearing midfielder happy?

Are there no turkish people in Newcastle he could make friends with??

I don't know, and stop replying to my posts if you're going to constantly bang on and on and on.

Guest Albert Ayler

if it makes emre happy and he plays good then so be it...

Agreed, or Roeder could have given Emre twenty quid and told him to go the nearest kebab shop if he wanted a small reminder of what his country was like.

Guest Ridzuan

I would love to have him continuing his career here for the long run as well.I just hope he wont have any problems with racism in the future if he does stay with us.

That's one of the reasons why United brought his Turkish compatriot Erol Bulut, who shares the same agent as Emre, across to St James' Park for a couple of days' training this week. But United have absolutely no intention of signing the 32-year-old Turk, even though he can play in the position they need to fill more than any other in the close season - left-back.

Well nobody told him:

Erol Bulut is hopeful that he has done enough to earn a permanent deal at Newcastle.

The Turkish full-back has been training with The Magpies over the past few days as he looked to impress manager Glenn Roeder.

Bulut is currently with Olympiakos - but he is out-of-contract at the end of the season and will be eligible for a free transfer in June.

The 32-year-old has spoken to skysports.com about how things have been going for him in England.

"I was told from my agent a few days ago that Newcastle wanted to give me a trial to because they are looking for a player for the left side," he told skysports.com.

"I came to Newcastle and I passed the medical exams. Today I took part in the training. I followed all the training, including the practice game and the tactics.

"I was welcomed by the players, the coach and the staff. Right now I am with Emre who has told me a lot of things about the club. Everything is perfect here. The facilities, the people, the city.

"I will now leave for Athens as they have the league game and they are all focused on this game.

"I think that at the beginning of the next week I am going to know if I will sign with Newcastle or not.

"My agent makes the contacts and he is going to discuss terms and conditions with them. If I am going to sign, its going to be for two years. I want to take the chance and prove myself in the Premier League playing for such a big club like Newcastle."

Guest IHateBoro

So this is the reason why we brought this Turkish left back to the club, because Emre is homesick. BUT they have no intention of signing him?? And becasue he shares the same agent as Emre WTF??

Yeah, sounds pretty mad.

This club is becoming more and more of a joke FFS

Taking care of our better players and trying to keep them happy, good man management by Roeder.

how long should we keep someone random around to keep a very ordinary, oft-disappearing midfielder happy?

Are there no turkish people in Newcastle he could make friends with??

I agree, it's a shame that Parker's presence in the team inflicts this upon our best midfielder!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Geordiesned
I'll see out deal

Apr 21 2007

By Paul Gilder, The Journal

A contented Emre last night pledged his long-term future to Newcastle after insisting he is planning to see out the three years that remain on his contract at St James's Park.

The Turkish international has endured a troubled season but, although fitness problems and a well-documented investigation into a racist abuse charge have characterised a campaign to forget, suggestions that he will seek a fresh start elsewhere this summer have been rejected.

A player who has long been a target for Bayern Munich has also attracted interest from elsewhere in the Bundesliga, with Hertha Berlin among his suitors. But Emre is adamant he is not intending to leave the North-East before 2010. "I signed a five-year deal when I arrived, I still have three years left on that contract and I want to remain here for those three years," said a player who will help Glenn Roeder's side attempt to beat Chelsea tomorrow lunchtime.

"I'm happy here at Newcastle and I want to stay here. This is a big club and I have close friends in the team with me."

Emre has suffered with injuries in both his seasons at St James's Park and the talented 26-year-old has told United's supporters he has yet to demonstrate his true worth in a black-and-white shirt. It is a situation he is determined to address.

"I don't think the supporters have seen the best of me because I haven't had a season yet where I haven't been injured," he said. "That has been a problem for me. This season I missed two or three months with a calf injury, last season it was a hamstring problem.

"Next season I hope that everything is okay and I can play in every game. It feels good to be playing again and I'm getting more confident with each game I get. I haven't been able play for a long time but now I can and I'm happier for it."

Emre endured the most difficult period in his colourful career when he was charged with racially abusing Everton players during an ill-fated fixture at Goodison Park in December.

The allegations were not proved during a subsequent hearing last month and, although he remains reluctant to discuss the episode in England, that the matter is behind him is an obvious relief. "It was a difficult time but sometimes life is difficult," said a player who looked to face an uncertain future as the incident dragged on for several weeks at the start of the year. "You don't smile every day, but you don't cry every day either, you just have to get on with it. I'm much happier now and I don't want to dwell on the past. I will talk about it but this is not the right time.

"I will say something about it in the future because there are a lot of things I want to say. I will hold a big Press conference to talk about everything at the end of the season but I want to do that in Turkey because Turkish people know everything there is to know about me and I can explain myself much better in Turkish."

Roeder last night praised Emre for the manner in which he has bounced back from an unfortunate episode, but although he is delighted to be back in action in Newcastle colours, the former Inter Milan favourite is not yet satisfied with his Premiership performances.

"There have been times when I have played well, but there have also been times when I haven't been so good," he admitted. "I want to play well in every game. This season has been easier than the first because I understand what English football is about more. But I want next season to be better."

There are four games left this season for Emre to make the improvements he craves. He will begin the process against the champions this weekend and although Chelsea will be the overwhelming favourites at St James's Park, the midfielder will approach the match with confidence.

"Chelsea are a really good team and it's going to be a difficult game every time you play them," he added. "It will be a tough test but we haven't lost against any of the big teams at home (in the league) this season and we want that to continue. We have three more games after that (against Reading, Blackburn and Watford) and we want to take nine points from them. But if we keep our concentration well, we can also beat Chelsea."

Link

To be fair though, we're a Premiership football club, not a doss house for travelling Turks.  If I was a friend of Emre's, I wouldn't expect to get a kickabout, professional footballer or not.

Saying that though, Parlour trained with Arsenal when Boro released him just before he went to Hull. Don't think it's that uncommon.

Im  not really impressed with Emre's career so far here at Newcastle

Alot of the time during the season he is injured and when he plays he is nothing special.His set piece is shocking

Alot of people were praying for his return but that was mostly because we have two similar players in the middle playing together who cant do anything creative.Emre has the creative ability but so far he didnt show anything worth remember and also his defensive style of play is at very low level.He always rushes into players when they have the ball and he is eliminated immediately.

And why the hell Bayern Munich would want him is beyond me

Newcastle Wold Inteview he does, he looks gutted when he admited that we have no chance of a Euro place, but he is happy to stay for the rest of his contract.

I see no real benifit in selling him anyway, lets hope he works his Turkish magic tomorrow.  :thup: :thup: :thup:

Guest Ridzuan

I have no problem with him staying here either.There is no reason why we should sell him even if we buy new midfielders.He only needs to improve his set pieces if he wishes to stay here/

Roeder last night praised Emre for the manner in which he has bounced back from an unfortunate episode, but although he is delighted to be back in action in Newcastle colours, the former Inter Milan favourite is not yet satisfied with his Premiership performances.

"There have been times when I have played well, but there have also been times when I haven't been so good," he admitted. "I want to play well in every game. This season has been easier than the first because I understand what English football is about more. But I want next season to be better."

At least hes acknowledging he needs to improve his form. Makes a nice change from interviews with the likes of Shola "I want England callup" Ameobi.

i can't see better replacement bar arteta... and at least 10 million IMO. we really need fixed out first on defensive problem. better changing manager problem since roeder doesn't have clue about football. i am still gutted about AZ alkmar result when were are 4-2 up and roeder just said we chasing 0-0 that just dipshit mentality from the manager.