So looks like Zoggy is off in the summer.

Parky

I won't be very happy, why would I be?  I think he could turn into a decent player but the fact remains he only has potential right now, same as Milner, same as Taylor. They could all stop making progress at any time.

Zog may well want to go and it could well be that within the club this has been known for ages. Who knows other than those on the inside?

any club in the world needs 2 top players for every position

Thats an ideal scenario. Fact is that we have no top players in any position when it comes to defence. The nearest thing we have is "potential" in Steven Taylor, but thats it. Thats 4 entire positions in the first team, and several positions in the backup or squad slots. And the only striker weve had playing for us for 95% of the season who is even remotely Premiership calibre is Martins. Thats one out of two first team positions. But hey, we needed a second left winger, because Milner has proven hes incapable of playing on that flank - according to some. His performances and goal against the likes of ManU, Liverpool, etc, have proven this.

Im all for strengthening the squad, but it was madness to blow a sizeable transfer fee and massive wages to replace arguably our best player last season when the rest of the squad had such massive gaping holes.

But then, look at the results to see who is in the right here. Weve crashed out of the main cup competitions in humiliating fashion against sides we should have beaten easily (5-1 utter humiliation at home to a bloody championship side, thats 5-1, and a 2-0 spineless defeat against a Dutch side built with pennies, with the nation watching and eventually laughing at us). Weve done worse this year than we did last year in the league, with plenty of shiite results and shiite performances, even in games weve won. So, for those of us who said we should have signed a defender or a forward instead of a backup left winger at the time the signing was made - surely weve been proven correct?

Or rather, as certain individuals on this board with specific agendas would have us believe, its just crazy talk to think that our defence would be better with better individual defenders than Bramble and Ramage, or that wed have scored more goals if we had better individual forwards than the likes of Sibierski, Duff and Dyer. Anything to back the board, eh?

Thats an ideal scenario. Fact is that we have no top players in any position when it comes to defence. The nearest thing we have is "potential" in Steven Taylor, but thats it. And the only striker weve had playing for us for 95% of the season who is even remotely Premiership calibre is Martins.

Im all for strengthening the squad, but it was madness to blow a sizeable transfer fee and massive wages to replace arguably our best player last season when the rest of the squad had such massive gaping holes.

But then, look at the results to see who is in the right here. Weve crashed out of the main cup competitions in humiliating fashion against sides we should have beaten easily (5-1 utter humiliation at home to a bloody championship side, thats 5-1, and a 2-0 spineless defeat against a Dutch side built with pennies, with the nation watching and eventually laughing at us). Weve done worse this year than we did last year in the league, with plenty of shiite results and shiite performances, even in games weve won. So, for those of us who said we should have signed a defender or a forward instead of a backup left winger at the time the signing was made - surely weve been proven correct?

Or rather, as certain individuals on this board with specific agendas would have us believe, its just crazy talk to think that our defence would be better with better individual defenders than Bramble and Ramage, or that wed have scored more goals if we had better individual forwards than the likes of Sibierski, Duff and Dyer. Anything to back the board, eh?

Anything to slate the board eh ? Despite us being among the top spenders, again

Now, thats what I call an agenda

Aye right :lol:

From someone who doesn't see the importance of a quality left back because we obviously don't need them to keep possesion in oppostion half.  :thup: :idiot2:

I understand fully the importance of having good footballers across all areas of the pitch and I also understand the importance of relative positions within a team. You have an obsession with the LB position, for some reason.

Yes, we need a better LB. We also need more than just Martins up front. Did you check the goals scored column recently? Did you watch the match against Arsenal again to see how often the ball comes straight back when it gets to the front man? We also need a better player in CM than Parker and better CB's as well. As a player who was likely to slump (Zog) the club took the opportunity to bring in an experienced wide man for the left side, a position that is notoriously difficult to fill effectively.

To think of the flak I took while Robert was here by claiming he was miles better than Duff and yet here I am defending the signing of a player I don't even rate that highly. I think he's just a decent player who became available and was added to the squad, that's all.

Young players slump, they have to be brought on properly. If by not using Zog very much this season turns him into a better player further down the line through not being over-used following his good season last time out I'll be well happy with the signing of Duff. I doubt you and your chums have thought of that possibility though.......no doubt this is just another "excuse" to you.  mackems.gif

On the other hand N'Zogbia could leave and we will be left with a player who has looked average at best this season, genius.

I do bang on about a left back a lot, this is true. Could be something to do with the fact that the problem NEVER GETS FUCKING SOLVED! Yet some people are so stupid to think "well we needed cover there so spending a third of our transfer budget isn't that bad".

We need to sort out the first 11 before we start signing quality back up, still a concept missed on you I see though.

Well done :lol:

Thats an ideal scenario. Fact is that we have no top players in any position when it comes to defence. The nearest thing we have is "potential" in Steven Taylor, but thats it. Thats 4 entire positions in the first team, and several positions in the backup or squad slots. And the only striker weve had playing for us for 95% of the season who is even remotely Premiership calibre is Martins. Thats one out of two first team positions. But hey, we needed a second left winger, because Milner has proven hes incapable of playing on that flank - according to some. His performances and goal against the likes of ManU, Liverpool, etc, have proven this.

Your shite knows no limit.

Guest Invicta_Toon

From someone who doesn't see the importance of a quality left back because we obviously don't need them to keep possesion in oppostion half.  :thup: :idiot2:

I understand fully the importance of having good footballers across all areas of the pitch and I also understand the importance of relative positions within a team. You have an obsession with the LB position, for some reason.

Yes, we need a better LB. We also need more than just Martins up front. Did you check the goals scored column recently? Did you watch the match against Arsenal again to see how often the ball comes straight back when it gets to the front man? We also need a better player in CM than Parker and better CB's as well. As a player who was likely to slump (Zog) the club took the opportunity to bring in an experienced wide man for the left side, a position that is notoriously difficult to fill effectively.

To think of the flak I took while Robert was here by claiming he was miles better than Duff and yet here I am defending the signing of a player I don't even rate that highly. I think he's just a decent player who became available and was added to the squad, that's all.

Young players slump, they have to be brought on properly. If by not using Zog very much this season turns him into a better player further down the line through not being over-used following his good season last time out I'll be well happy with the signing of Duff. I doubt you and your chums have thought of that possibility though.......no doubt this is just another "excuse" to you.  mackems.gif

On the other hand N'Zogbia could leave and we will be left with a player who has looked average at best this season, genius.

I do bang on about a left back a lot, this is true. Could be something to do with the fact that the problem NEVER GETS FUCKING SOLVED! Yet some people are so stupid to think "well we needed cover there so spending a third of our transfer budget isn't that bad".

We need to sort out the first 11 before we start signing quality back up, still a concept missed on you I see though.

he was first choice for ages, hardly filled me with confidence he was going to turn up every week

Your s**** knows no limit.

Stop. Youre making me blush.

I do bang on about a left back a lot, this is true. Could be something to do with the fact that the problem NEVER GETS f****** SOLVED! Yet some people are so stupid to think "well we needed cover there so spending a third of our transfer budget isn't that bad".

Doesn't look as though you've grasped a single thing I said. As usual.

1 + 1 = 3.

Nice of you to be so original, ParrotE5.

Oddly, there is only one person here who parrots the vast majority of the other posters.

Please explain the difference between you constanty slating the board for anything they do, and me pointing out fact [which you ignore] as you have done when you slate the board for buying quality players. Would you prefer them to sell quality players ?

Or not buy quality players ?

I suspect, that like other people, it is simply a matter of different rules when it is your opinion, and you are repeating nobody.

I am happy with my opinion, because it is factually based. If you disagree, please show us exactly how the club have NOT been among the biggest spenders ?

I do bang on about a left back a lot, this is true. Could be something to do with the fact that the problem NEVER GETS f****** SOLVED! Yet some people are so stupid to think "well we needed cover there so spending a third of our transfer budget isn't that bad".

Doesn't look as though you've grasped a single thing I said. As usual.

Jesus wept :lol:

I doubt you even grasp a single thing you say :D

1 + 1 = 3.

Oddly, there is only one person here who parrots the vast majority of the other posters.

Can you not think of a comeback that doesnt involve repeating what ive said? Or is that because youve lost the ability to think since your paid-for-by-Shepherd defend-the-wobbly-one online crusade has eaten into your brain?

Please explain the difference between you constanty slating the board for anything they do, and me pointing out fact [which you ignore] as you have done when you slate the board for buying quality players. Would you prefer them to sell quality players ?

I would prefer them to buy quality players in the positions we need quality players in, ones who arent has-beens or crocks, ie arent trophy signings.

I suspect, that like other people, it is simply a matter of different rules when it is your opinion, and you are repeating nobody.

What are you on about? Crazy ambiguous rants arent my forte.

I am happy with my opinion, because it is factually based. If you disagree, please show us exactly how the club have NOT been among the biggest spenders ?

You are happy with your opinion because it is factually biased. Every regular on this board knows this.

1 + 1 = 3.

Can you not think of a comeback that doesnt involve repeating what ive said? Or is that because youve lost the ability to think since your paid-for-by-Shepherd defend-the-wobbly-one online crusade has eaten into your brain?

I would prefer them to buy quality players in the positions we need quality players in, ones who arent has-beens or crocks, ie arent trophy signings.

What are you on about? Crazy ambiguous rants arent my forte.

You are happy with your opinion because it is factually biased. Every regular on this board knows this.

Please tell us who are "trophy signings", and who exactly you would have preferred the club to sign, unless of course, you would prefer them to sell their "trophy signings" like we did when we had a shit board ?

Don't make anything up now, just a sensible response will do.

My opinion is, in fact, based on fact. That is how it is correct, rather than muttering on and on about how shit it is to be playing in europe regularly and buying quality international footballers is. I never cease to be amazed by the amount of people that whinge on about this football club, who are presumably one of the 50,000 plus people who can't resist going to watch the team play.

Thing is, for the £5m we spent on Duff we could have picked up McCarthy and Campbell/Woodgate. Might even have been able to pick up some better cover at LB as well. It's easy for me to say this with hindsight, but I didn't know how much we had to spend at the time. Roeder must have.

I appreciate that Zog has been poor this season, but I am of the opinion that Milner and even Dyer can "do a job" on the left better than Titus can at centre back, Ramage can at left back or Carr can anywhere.

This being the same Titus who looked ok in the CL when we had a decent overall team, especially in CM with a player of the calibre of Speed in there rather than shite like Parker. Not that I'm saying Bramble is great, like.

True. But given our limitations, I think the easiest way for us to have improved would have been to spend the money on other positions. We know what Bramble's been like with Parker in front of him - this would seem to indicate one of them needed replacing. With Campbell going on a free it would have been a damn sight cheaper to replace Titus, even with a £2m (or whatever) signing on fee.

I wouldn't argue with the signing of Duff if we had a stronger squad, and I know we only had one other LW, but I'm certain that playing Milner out of position there (or even Dyer, or Emre, etc.) would be less harmful for the team than playing Ramage out of position at LB, or even Carr in postion at RB.

I fully understand your argument for signing Duff, but there were too many other areas that were too much weaker than LW for it to be justified, in my opinion.

We couldn't have done any worse than try Zoggy at left back. iirc he had one game there.

Pretty sure I watched him play there in "the" Wigan LC game. Pretty sure it wasn't pretty.

Thats an ideal scenario. Fact is that we have no top players in any position when it comes to defence. The nearest thing we have is "potential" in Steven Taylor, but thats it. And the only striker weve had playing for us for 95% of the season who is even remotely Premiership calibre is Martins.

In fairness - and I may have misread - but I'm not sure he mentioned or even implicated the board there? When he uses the word board is he not referring to this message board?

Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong, but isn't that entire post about how signing Duff was the wrong decision rather than castigating the board?

It's common sense that you work on your weakest areas of the team/squad if you're looking to improve. Looking at our squad last season I don't know how anybody could say that the left wing position was in greater need of repair than central defence. If you said that at the time people would have thought you were mad or just didn't know much at all about the situation.

The fact we had Huntington and Edgar in central defence against West Ham is testament to how much Roeder and Shepherd got it wrong. How many points have we lost this season because of dodgy goals conceded by defenders who were either totally inexperienced or never good enough to play at this level anyway? The panic loan-signing of Gooch is evidence that the club knew they had made a mistake in the transfer market.

There are of course other factors to consider. There's an argument that if a bargain comes along, you snap it up and ask questions later, and that's certainly what Newcastle did with Duff. But you do this within reason. If you're skint and desperate for defenders, and signing that player means you'll need to get through a season and 4 competitions with only 6 senior defenders, then you can't make a case for signing him. The opportunity cost is too high, he becomes a luxury signing that you can't afford.

Duff became available, we spotted a bargain, bought him and asked questions later. Getting through a season with 6 senior defenders was always going to be a tall order. I bet the likes of Huntington and Edgar knew they had a strong chance of playing this season when the transfer window shut and they saw the squad we were left with.

Thing is, for the £5m we spent on Duff we could have picked up McCarthy and Campbell/Woodgate. Might even have been able to pick up some better cover at LB as well. It's easy for me to say this with hindsight, but I didn't know how much we had to spend at the time. Roeder must have.

I appreciate that Zog has been poor this season, but I am of the opinion that Milner and even Dyer can "do a job" on the left better than Titus can at centre back, Ramage can at left back or Carr can anywhere.

This being the same Titus who looked ok in the CL when we had a decent overall team, especially in CM with a player of the calibre of Speed in there rather than s**** like Parker. Not that I'm saying Bramble is great, like.

True. But given our limitations, I think the easiest way for us to have improved would have been to spend the money on other positions. We know what Bramble's been like with Parker in front of him - this would seem to indicate one of them needed replacing. With Campbell going on a free it would have been a damn sight cheaper to replace Titus, even with a £2m (or whatever) signing on fee.

I wouldn't argue with the signing of Duff if we had a stronger squad, and I know we only had one other LW, but I'm certain that playing Milner out of position there (or even Dyer, or Emre, etc.) would be less harmful for the team than playing Ramage out of position at LB, or even Carr in postion at RB.

I fully understand your argument for signing Duff, but there were too many other areas that were too much weaker than LW for it to be justified, in my opinion.

Fair post in this thread at last, so I won't argue other than saying that Duff was available and perhaps the LB really wanted by Roeder wasn't. As I said earlier on, I'd have preferred another striker rather than signing Duff anyway. I'm just getting pissed off at people (not you) trying to play by championship manager on here. We're talking about real football, not a fucking computer game as some seem to believe.

We couldn't have done any worse than try Zoggy at left back. iirc he had one game there.

Pretty sure I watched him play there in "the" Wigan LC game. Pretty sure it wasn't pretty.

I'd rather try Duff at LB and Zog on LM, tbh. It's working well with Solano, although he has a lot of prior experience of playing RB.

It's common sense that you work on your weakest areas of the team/squad if you're looking to improve. Looking at our squad last season I don't know how anybody could say that the left wing position was in greater need of repair than central defence. If you said that at the time people would have thought you were mad or just didn't know much at all about the situation.

The fact we had Huntington and Edgar in central defence against West Ham is testament to how much Roeder and Shepherd got it wrong. How many points have we lost this season because of dodgy goals conceded by defenders who were either totally inexperienced or never good enough to play at this level anyway? The panic loan-signing of Gooch is evidence that the club knew they had made a mistake in the transfer market.

There are of course other factors to consider. There's an argument that if a bargain comes along, you snap it up and ask questions later, and that's certainly what Newcastle did with Duff. But you do this within reason. If you're skint and desperate for defenders, and signing that player means you'll need to get through a season and 4 competitions with only 6 senior defenders, then you can't make a case for signing him. The opportunity cost is too high, he becomes a luxury signing that you can't afford.

Duff became available, we spotted a bargain, bought him and asked questions later. Getting through a season with 6 senior defenders was always going to be a tall order. I bet the likes of Huntington and Edgar knew they had a strong chance of playing this season when the transfer window shut and they saw the squad we were left with.

Wouldn't disagree. Therefore you'd realise that we actually needed another striker rather than a LW or a LB. Take a look at the goals scored column. Goals win games. You also need to take into account availability. Something the majority on this forum don't appear to consider in the slightest. I'm waiting for someone to convince me with solid facts that signing Duff directly led to the club failing to sign a defender, rather than the defender the manager wanted to sign simply not being available.

Guest Ridzuan

Wouldnt be surprise if he does leave in the summer.His performance this season has been poor.To be fair to him,he has not really played in  a lot of match due to his injury,but nevertheless when given the opportunity,he has been disappointing,unlike last season.If he can get back to his form like he did last season,then maybe he is worth keeping at the club.

I'd rather try Duff at LB and Zog on LM, tbh. It's working well with Solano, although he has a lot of prior experience of playing RB.

I agree. He's looked ok in the couple of games he's played there.