So looks like Zoggy is off in the summer.

Parky

Despite it being easy enough to predict a possible slump by Zog it was clearly a stupid decision to buy an experienced player for a problem area like the left side of midfield even though such a player became available at a bargain fee. Let's face it, we have any number of players who can play that position effectively, such as Milner, Dyer, Ameobi, Emre, Parker, Sibierski and probably Bramble and Carr, given that any player can just slot in there and be good enough.

Milner is good enough as backup for the left wing - hes played better there in a few games than Duff has this whole season, looking far more of a threat. We didnt need to spend 5mill and 70k per week plus on another left winger to cover for Zog when weve just struggled through the entire season with shiite like Sibierski up front and academy kids out of position in defence.

Despite it being easy enough to predict a possible slump by Zog it was clearly a stupid decision to buy an experienced player for a problem area like the left side of midfield even though such a player became available at a bargain fee. Let's face it, we have any number of players who can play that position effectively, such as Milner, Dyer, Ameobi, Emre, Parker, Sibierski and probably Bramble and Carr, given that any player can just slot in there and be good enough.

Milner is good enough as backup for the left wing - hes played better there in a few games than Duff has this whole season, looking far more of a threat. We didnt need to spend 5mill and 70k per week plus on another left winger to cover for Zog when weve just struggled through the entire season with shiite like Sibierski up front and academy kids out of position in defence.

It will happen but I can't see how anyone can argue against that and honestly believe what they are saying.

Zog has had one good season where he showed potential, he's then struggled as predicted before the season started and this is normal for a young player.

Yet we have NO good left backs and (at a stretch) ONE quality centre back. Yeah left wing is certainly what we needed. In regards to players fitting in, Dyer and Milner play a hell of a lot better on the left wing than any of our defenders play at left back.

We DID need someone for the left and a player became available.

Nowhere near as much as we DID need a centre back or a left back and players became available.

Sadly Jon, it appears you still think a defender would prevent us from being dominted by teams such as Wigan, Smoggies,

Charlton, Fulham, and Man City as has happened lately. If you can't dictate the game against teams like this, then you are in trouble and only better quality footballers who can pass and move in forward areas change this.

Left backs don't pass and move the ball forward? I suppose you think left back wasn't one of the main reasons we lost to AZ aswell?

We tend to have f*** all going down the left wing because there isn't anyone good enough to support Duff, do you not see why this could be part of our issue when it comes to retaining possesion in the oppositions half?

Aye, it was great seeing Duff destroy AZ, whilst Huntington pocketed the AZ right winger and Antoine Sibierski came off the bench to show his class and grab a brace.

Only an idiot would think that signing Duff was a mistake, and youd have to be retarded to think that we needed a left back or another forward more than we did Duff. We're on the verge of UEFA Cup glory and qualifying for an automatic UEFA spot because the squad we built has been more thang good enough, clearly some people need to get some perspective.

Zog has had one good season where he showed potential, he's then struggled as predicted before the season started and this is normal for a young player.

Yet we have NO good left backs and (at a stretch) ONE quality centre back. Yeah left wing is certainly what we needed. In regards to players fitting in, Dyer and Milner play a hell of a lot better on the left wing than any of our defenders play at left back.

Nowhere near as much as we DID need a centre back or a left back and players became available.

Sadly Jon, it appears you still think a defender would prevent us from being dominted by teams such as Wigan, Smoggies,

Charlton, Fulham, and Man City as has happened lately. If you can't dictate the game against teams like this, then you are in trouble and only better quality footballers who can pass and move in forward areas change this.

Left backs don't pass and move the ball forward? I suppose you think left back wasn't one of the main reasons we lost to AZ aswell?

We tend to have f*** all going down the left wing because there isn't anyone good enough to support Duff, do you not see why this could be part of our issue when it comes to retaining possesion in the oppositions half?

Aye, it was great seeing Duff destroy AZ, whilst Huntington pocketed the AZ right winger and Antoine Sibierski came off the bench to show his class and grab a brace.

Only an idiot would think that signing Duff was a mistake, and youd have to be retarded to think that we needed a left back or another forward more than we did Duff. We're on the verge of UEFA Cup glory and qualifying for an automatic UEFA spot because the squad we built has been more thang good enough, clearly some people need to get some perspective.

Tough guy stuff. How unusual from you.

You can only sign players who are available and who want to join your club.

I didn't want the club to sign Duff, I wanted the club to sign another striker because that's where we're really lacking imo. However, as I've said to your and your mate before, the fact the club didn't sign another player for an area of the team I wanted to see strengthened doesn't make Duff a poor signing. It's a shame you're so arrogant that you believe the club signing anyone other than players YOU think they should sign makes it a poor signing.

You're right that some people need to get some perspective, look no further than the mirror.

I didn't want the club to sign Duff, I wanted the club to sign another striker because that's where we're really lacking imo. However, as I've said to your and your mate before, the fact the club didn't sign another player for an area of the team I wanted to see strengthened doesn't make Duff a poor signing. It's a shame you're so arrogant that you believe the club signing anyone other than players YOU think they should sign makes it a poor signing.

You're right that some people need to get some perspective, look no further than the mirror.

Other players were available though but you will continue to make excuses so there is no point in trying to debate this any further..

It's a shame you're so arrogant that you believe the club signing anyone other than players YOU think they should sign makes it a poor signing.

If I think a player is shiite or even good but not needed, and the club signs him whilst players who I think are good who play in positions that I think need to be filled, yet are overlooked and cast aside, then of course I think its a poor signing. Its stating the obvious, its my opinion.

And likewise, anyone who thinks its a good signing, or one that was needed, is just expressing their opinion, same as me. The only difference is that the opinion of the manager and chairman counts, unlike mine. But if they get it wrong, then I have the right to say that their opinion was/is shiite and that it was a mistake, as was overlooking the players we could have done with who have gone on to play well elsewhere. If they get these decisions/opinions wrong consistently, then I have the right to question their judgement and ability to do their job.

If I think we should have signed Campbell, and Roeder doesnt, and we then struggle in defence for an entire season with utter shiite playing at the back for us, whilst Campbell becomes a rock for Pompey, then of course I'll think that the club made the wrong decision.

So, what is the point you are trying to make? That I cant criticise the transfer dealings of Roeder because you say so? Who are you again? Thats right, a nobody on an internet forum, just like the rest of us. What you say or think means fuck all mate, so yes, I can criticise the manager or chairman for his decisions in the transfer market. Deal with it.

Guest Sniffer

Back to n'zogbia's contract. I've said before that there has been no statement from the club or player about the signing of a new contract. Until I see that reported from a reputable source,  I am not convinced that he has signed a contract and there is every possibility that he will be a free agent in the summer. .com report it as ' TBC " so it wouldn't surprise me if he was gone for  little or no money. Who knows what his attitude is like on a day to day basis.

Back to n'zogbia's contract. I've said before that there has been no statement from the club or player about the signing of a new contract. Until I see that reported from a reputable source,  I am not convinced that he has signed a contract and there is every possibility that he will be a free agent in the summer. .com report it as ' TBC " so it wouldn't surprise me if he was gone for  little or no money. Who knows what his attitude is like on a day to day basis.

The PLC report is not a reputable source?

It's a shame you're so arrogant that you believe the club signing anyone other than players YOU think they should sign makes it a poor signing.

If I think a player is shiite or even good but not needed, and the club signs him whilst players who I think are good who play in positions that I think need to be filled, yet are overlooked and cast aside, then of course I think its a poor signing. Its stating the obvious, its my opinion.

And likewise, anyone who thinks its a good signing, or one that was needed, is just expressing their opinion, same as me. The only difference is that the opinion of the manager and chairman counts, unlike mine. But if they get it wrong, then I have the right to say that their opinion was/is shiite and that it was a mistake, as was overlooking the players we could have done with who have gone on to play well elsewhere. If they get these decisions/opinions wrong consistently, then I have the right to question their judgement and ability to do their job.

If I think we should have signed Campbell, and Roeder doesnt, and we then struggle in defence for an entire season with utter shiite playing at the back for us, whilst Campbell becomes a rock for Pompey, then of course I'll think that the club made the wrong decision.

So, what is the point you are trying to make? That I cant criticise the transfer dealings of Roeder because you say so? Who are you again? Thats right, a nobody on an internet forum, just like the rest of us. What you say or think means fuck all mate, so yes, I can criticise the manager or chairman for his decisions in the transfer market. Deal with it.

Spot on, the excuses for the manager are often weak imo. Along the lines of "just because you think we should have signed xxxxx doesn't mean the manager made the wrong decision, you are being arrogant" what the fuck is that all about? :lol:

So, what is the point you are trying to make? That I cant criticise the transfer dealings of Roeder because you say so? Who are you again? Thats right, a nobody on an internet forum, just like the rest of us. What you say or think means f*** all mate, so yes, I can criticise the manager or chairman for his decisions in the transfer market. Deal with it.

That you should pack in the use of words like "idiot" and "retard" when you don't agree with somebody. Thought it was obvious, tbh.

Criticism is ok and can stimulate debate, total shite like the majority of your posts just makes me laugh.

Other players were available though but you will continue to make excuses so there is no point in trying to debate this any further..

Care to show me these excuses you refer to?

Telling me you havent used the "Campbell wanted to go to Portsmouth, really wanted to work with Redknapp bla bla bla" excuse?

Or like this: http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=36320.msg713997#msg713997 obviously he didnt fail in the transfer market because he just didnt want him, that makes sense :lol:

Telling me you havent used the "Campbell wanted to go to Portsmouth, really wanted to work with Redknapp bla bla bla" excuse?

Err, aye. That's exactly an example of something I've never said nor had I even thought about it.

Despite the doubts about him I'd probably have tried to sign Campbell, tbh.

Anyway, rather than debating properly just keep making stuff up mate.

Err, aye. That's exactly an example of something I've never said nor had I even thought about it.

Despite the doubts about him I'd probably have tried to sign Campbell, tbh.

Anyway, rather than debating properly just keep making stuff up mate.

Sorry must have been the other one.

So, what is the point you are trying to make? That I cant criticise the transfer dealings of Roeder because you say so? Who are you again? Thats right, a nobody on an internet forum, just like the rest of us. What you say or think means f*** all mate, so yes, I can criticise the manager or chairman for his decisions in the transfer market. Deal with it.

That you should pack in the use of words like "idiot" and "retard" when you don't agree with somebody. Thought it was obvious, tbh.

Criticism is ok and can stimulate debate, total s**** like the majority of your posts just makes me laugh.

So your point of "It's a shame you're so arrogant that you believe the club signing anyone other than players YOU think they should sign makes it a poor signing" is actually "please dont call anyone a retard or an idiot".

Hard to call you anything else when you display that sort of logic behind your posts. Although I still wont.

And please point out where I called anyone a retard or an idiot. If you mean the previous post, then clearly you missed the sarcasm, because the point of it was that I was mimicing you.

We tend to have fuck all going down the left wing because there isn't anyone good enough to support Duff, do you not see why this could be part of our issue when it comes to retaining possesion in the oppositions half?

no.

Criticism is ok and can stimulate debate, total s**** like the majority of your posts just makes me laugh.

So your point of "It's a shame you're so arrogant that you believe the club signing anyone other than players YOU think they should sign makes it a poor signing" is actually "please dont call anyone a retard or an idiot".

Hard to call you anything else when you display that sort of logic behind your posts. Although I still wont.

And please point out where I called anyone a retard or an idiot. If you mean the previous post, then clearly you missed the sarcasm, because the point of it was that I was mimicing you.

Except I don't go around on here calling people retards. Unlike some. As I said, just look in the mirror sonny.

You really do post some shite and your efforts in this thread are no exception.

no.

While the majority of the responsibility does go to the midfielders and the strikers when it comes to passing the ball and keeping possession and playing good football, full-backs are also important.

Countless times over the last few years I've seen our midfielders try and pass the ball, only for it to break down. When this happens, the full-backs are usually the best option in terms of a ball-retaining pass as they are generally in more space than the midfielders. So the ball goes to them.

Good full backs can then control the ball, draw in an opposing player, and then play a pass to a teammate so we can attempt to start a passing move again.

Our full-backs, however, are so poor that they generally plank themselves and hoof the ball aimlessly forward, resulting in loss of possession. As a result we can't really expect to play good football.

Our full-backs don't need to be exceptional ball-players, but they need to be a whole lot more competent than the ones we have at present if we're ever to play good football.

no.

While the majority of the responsibility does go to the midfielders and the strikers when it comes to passing the ball and keeping possession and playing good football, full-backs are also important.

Countless times over the last few years I've seen our midfielders try and pass the ball, only for it to break down. When this happens, the full-backs are usually the best option in terms of a ball-retaining pass as they are generally in more space than the midfielders. So the ball goes to them.

Good full backs can then control the ball, draw in an opposing player, and then play a pass to a teammate so we can attempt to start a passing move again.

Our full-backs, however, are so poor that they generally plank themselves and hoof the ball aimlessly forward, resulting in loss of possession. As a result we can't really expect to play good football.

Our full-backs don't need to be exceptional ball-players, but they need to be a whole lot more competent than the ones we have at present if we're ever to play good football.

of course I understand this, but I don't agree.

I think we give possession away up front too easily, too often, and lack a midfield player who can quickly support the front men, or man, as they are isolated too often. Keep the ball up the field, hold possession, the whole team moves up, this is not happening so we are under pressure. It has been happening all season. I have seen the wide men - all season - make runs and nobody is up to support them, Martins is on his own in the middle, and the 2 central midfield players are both defensive players who are nowhere near being in a position to support these players. This is what one of them should be doing. I am not disagreeing that Babayaro in particular isn't a patch on Bernard, but I think this is a major failure in the team and the potential for doing far better is more likely if an attacking midfield player and a striker are brought in rather than a full back. I think the first step to having a good defensive record is better possession and movement up front and in attacking situations. Basically, we have too many players who have performed sloppily when in possession, too much, too often, and this is because of a lack of ability.  I must say also that I have been disappointed with Dyer, he has the pace and the stamina to do this role but has disappeared too often, in spite of having a run in the team for the first time in years.  And of course we can't rely on him not getting injured.

And - at this level - unless you can get someone out of contract or find a gem from the lower leagues, players that will improve you cost a lot of money and if you try to penny pinch in these position, it is highly likely they will not be good enough.

We have won too many points this season while being the inferior team for my liking, and have scrapped for these points. Thats alright, but it isn't good enough at this level and the only thing that is sustainable is talent when passing and moving, we simply have not been good enough at this and if it is not improved next season could be in trouble.

no.

of course I understand this, but I don't agree.

I think we give possession away up front too easily, too often, and lack a midfield player who can quickly support the front men, or man, as they are isolated too often. Keep the ball up the field, hold possession, the whole team moves up, this is not happening so we are under pressure. It has been happening all season. I have seen the wide men - all season - make runs and nobody is up to support them, Martins is on his own in the middle, and the 2 central midfield players are both defensive players who are nowhere near being in a position to support these players. This is what one of them should be doing. I am not disagreeing that Babayaro in particular isn't a patch on Bernard, but I think this is a major failure in the team and the potential for doing far better is more likely if an attacking midfield player and a striker are brought in rather than a full back. I think the first step to having a good defensive record is better possession and movement up front and in attacking situations. Basically, we have too many players who have performed sloppily when in possession, too much, too often, and this is because of a lack of ability.  I must say also that I have been disappointed with Dyer, he has the pace and the stamina to do this role but has disappeared too often, in spite of having a run in the team for the first time in years.  And of course we can't rely on him not getting injured.

And - at this level - unless you can get someone out of contract or find a gem from the lower leagues, players that will improve you cost a lot of money and if you try to penny pinch in these position, it is highly likely they will not be good enough.

We have won too many points this season while being the inferior team for my liking, and have scrapped for these points. Thats alright, but it isn't good enough at this level and the only thing that is sustainable is talent when passing and moving, we simply have not been good enough at this and if it is not improved next season could be in trouble.

I'd agree that we need a top class CM in there, that would be my top priority this summer. After that, I believe two full-backs are the next priority. As good a midfield player as we may get, he won't be as effective if we continue to have long ball merchants playing at full back.

We need a striker as well of course, someone who can offer us something different than Martins and Owen. Ameobi fits that mold in theory but, while I rate him higher than most on here, I'm not sure he's someone we can rely on to lead the line. I don't think we need to be spending big money on a striker though, personally.

Dyer's problem for me while playing CM is that he tries to make that surging run forward too often, timing them poorly for the most part. He's never developed the timing of someone like Scholes, who knows when to sit and when to go from the middle.