Newcastle 0 - 0 Arsenal - Post match thoughts

Dave

Duff and N'Zogbia have been as bad as each other this season. I'd start Luque on the left for every game from now until the end of the campaign, if only to create some interest in him from other clubs.

Taylor, Butt & Solano were good today.

Watched the game on Prem Plus...

I think the gradual effect of Roeder's game cost us the win there tbh. We've become far, far, far too negative. I thought we played well, in general, and there were plenty of plus points - but by God we should have taken them to the cleaners tbh. It's a big shame that Dyer got injured, because they seemed to be inviting pressure a lot in the first half, and we looked dangerous with two strikers.

It's a good point, no doubt about it, though - and i'd have taken that beforehand. Can't help but feel a little bit disappointed though.

Plus Points:

/ Taylor was very solid at the back, and appears to be really up for it. I still think he's going to be a very good player.

/ Nobby Solano is just a warhorse. Class defensively, innovative going forward. We don't need a right-back in the summer, i don't reckon.

/ Carr looked relatively competent - not great but not bad.

/ Butt did his job superbly - unfortunately Emre wasn't really at the races, but this partnership has so much potential. It's a real shame that Parker is guaranteed a starting spot.

/ Duff appears to be improving, gradually.  Disappeared in the second half - granted, but it's not his fault he didn't get taken off.

/ Martins was creative in the first half, but don't expect him to play with any damage when he's upfront on his own.

/ N'Zogbia returned

Negative Points:

/ We were too negative.

/ The game pretty much confirmed to me that Onyewu is not worth keeping on, which is a real shame because he's got the physique to do it in the EPL.

/ Given and Dyer's injuries.

/ Emre wasn't at the races, but then he hasn't played an awful lot of football, tbh. Still really hope he stays.

/ Emre continues to be given set pieces.

/ N'Zogbia was brought on as a centre-midfielder, when it is absolutely blindingly obvious, so blinding that your retinas are under threat, that he is a winger.

Steve Harper - 6. Nothing to comment on, really. One of his kicks was gash.

Nolberto Solano - 7. I'd be tempted to give him man of the match. Defensively, as we have seen time and again, he was sound and organised, and that clearance(s) off the line was exceptional. He was creative going forward aswell, he wanted us to score. Nobby is an absolutely key player, and it's performances like this that have confirmed to me that he needs to be the right-back next season. He can still do it.

Steven Taylor - 8. I thought it was an excellent performance from Taylor. Not only was he good defensively, challening for balls, winning tackles everywhere and getting up for headers - but he had a real desire in their penalty box. He gives us bite - which is what we crave, because we are so negative. MOTM.

Oguchi Onyewu - 5. He's just not doing it for me. I know that he's never had a consistent partner, and he's knew to the league, but he's getting the basics wrong. He's very erratic. When it's him and an attacker through on goal, he lacks in confidence and doesn't seem to know whether to slide in, whether to block off, or whether to grab the ball and pass. He made one crunching tackle, but it's just not enough for someone who is 'gifted' with his physique.

Stephen Carr - 5.9. Hmm... Carr was alright. But he holds us back terribly. He wasn't particularly bad, and it'd be unfair to slate him for that performance, but he just lacks so much. He got the ball and passed it fine - but he offers absolutely nothing going forward, due to a lack of pace - and seemingly lack of intelligent footballing brain. But he was fairly strong at the back.

James Milner - 6. He came in fits and spurts did Milner, and i think he - along with Duff especially in the second half - didn't get enough of the ball. I think he could have had Clichy a good couple of times and there were some intelligent runs through the centre from the likes of Martins, when Milner had the ball. He was alright, but didn't have the effect on the game that he usually has.

Nicky Butt - 7. Butt was told to go out there and do a defensive job. Win the ball and stop Arsenal in their tracks - halt their fancy passing play and just get stuck in. And he did that very well, he was a thorn in their side. He and Emre got a bit caught up a few times but i don't think that was down to him. Good player and a good performance.

Belozoglu Emre - 5. I'm going to be fairly harsh on Emre, because he simply wasn't at the races when we desperately needed him to be. We needed him to be the innovative, creative one - helping the strikers and getting the ball forward. But he wasn't, he was all over the place really, and ran into brick walls. His set pieces were dire, aswell. But i still like him, he could be such a good player for us.

Damien Duff - 6. Duff was OK in the first half. He got the ball and used it well, and teased the defense at times. He really faded out as the second half progressed, though, and should have been withdrawn early on in the second period.

Obafemi Martins - 6. Oba did quite well in the first period - he mixed things up, played the ball well, and was generally a nuisance. When Dyer went off though, and not replaced by any striker of any sort whatsoever, Martins just wasn't in it. Especially considering Emre was so wayward with his attacking approach; Martins excellent flick ons and, surprisingly good, control of the ball - he didn't really have a hope. He was alright, though.

Kieron Dyer - 6. Not bad, but never really in it, and got injured. Not a lot to say tbh.

---

Charles N'Zogbia - 5. Did nothing. Isn't a centre-midfielder. Good to see him back but get him on the left for God's Sake.

Guest redmayne

I thought Butt was the official MOM?

I agree with whoever said Gooch was no better than Bramble, people who suggest we splash a further few million on him need their heads read tbh.

Decent result but it was there for the taking, Milner was very good for 50mins or so before they started taking control.

Solano did well today, Martins battled hard and had some decent moment but nothing special.

Probably the last we see of Dyer this season.

Emre needs to calm down a bit and think about things a lot more! People always harp on about how rash Parker is but Emre is just as bad, some of his fouls are stupid and predictable.

Butt did very well. Carr was fairly good tbh but did fall asleep at an important moment and could have cost us any points!

to be honest both teams looked a little jaded - dont agree with the sat/mon situation

doesnt do much for the fans to watch never mind the players.... its fans money at the end of the day

I find it a bit strange that players whine about playin 2 games in 3 days, they are fit as f*** and get paid for it. It shouldnt affect them that much. my team has a back log of games so Iv had to play Sat, Yesterday, Today and tomorrow, and I dont feel that bad!

i agree they are fit but as a consequence you expect fast flowing high paced football

doesnt matter how fit you are you'll be jaded in the prem after 2 games in 3 days

unlike pub teams jogging around drinking lager at half time ;-)

I agree with whoever said Gooch was no better than Bramble, people who suggest we splash a further few million on him need their heads read tbh.

Decent result but it was there for the taking, Milner was very good for 50mins or so before they started taking control.

Solano did well today, Martins battled hard and had some decent moment but nothing special.

Emre needs to calm down a bit and think about things a lot more! People always harp on about how rash Parker is but Emre is just as bad, some of his fouls are stupid and predictable.

Butt did very well. Carr was fairly good tbh but did fall asleep at an important moment and could have cost us any points!

to be honest both teams looked a little jaded - dont agree with the sat/mon situation

doesnt do much for the fans to watch never mind the players.... its fans money at the end of the day

I find it a bit strange that players whine about playin 2 games in 3 days, they are fit as f*** and get paid for it. It shouldnt affect them that much. my team has a back log of games so Iv had to play Sat, Yesterday, Today and tomorrow, and I dont feel that bad!

i agree they are fit but as a consequence you expect fast flowing high paced football

doesnt matter how fit you are you'll be jaded in the prem after 2 games in 3 days

Mate, I resent that comment, I workin my arse off in a game and our manager beasts us in trainin! i actually play county football so its a step up from local football but still! lol

I think the gradual effect of Roeder's game cost us the win there tbh. We've become far, far, far too negative. I thought we played well, in general, and there were plenty of plus points - but by God we should have taken them to the cleaners tbh. It's a big shame that Dyer got injured, because they seemed to be inviting pressure a lot in the first half, and we looked dangerous with two strikers.

It's a good point, no doubt about it, though - and i'd have taken that beforehand. Can't help but feel a little bit disappointed though.

Plus Points:

/ Taylor was very solid at the back, and appears to be really up for it. I still think he's going to be a very good player.

/ Nobby Solano is just a warhorse. Class defensively, innovative going forward. We don't need a right-back in the summer, i don't reckon.

/ Butt did his job superbly - unfortunately Emre wasn't really at the races, but this partnership has so much potential. It's a real shame that Parker is guaranteed a starting spot.

/ Duff appears to be improving, gradually.  Disappeared in the second half - granted, but it's not his fault he didn't get taken off.

/ Martins was creative in the first half, but don't expect him to play with any damage when he's upfront on his own.

/ N'Zogbia returned

Negative Points:

/ We were too negative.

/ The game pretty much confirmed to me that Onyewu is not worth keeping on, which is a real shame because he's got the physique to do it in the EPL.

/ Emre wasn't at the races, but then he hasn't played an awful lot of football, tbh. Still really hope he stays.

/ N'Zogbia was brought on as a centre-midfielder, when it is absolutely blindingly obvious, so blinding that your retinas are under threat, that he is a winger.

Nolberto Solano - 7. I'd be tempted to give him man of the match. Defensively, as we have seen time and again, he was sound and organised, and that clearance(s) off the line was exceptional. He was creative going forward aswell, he wanted us to score. Nobby is an absolutely key player, and it's performances like this that have confirmed to me that he needs to be the right-back next season. He can still do it.

Steven Taylor - 8. I thought it was an excellent performance from Taylor. Not only was he good defensively, challening for balls, winning tackles everywhere and getting up for headers - but he had a real desire in their penalty box. He gives us bite - which is what we crave, because we are so negative. MOTM.

Oguchi Onyewu - 5. He's just not doing it for me. I know that he's never had a consistent partner, and he's knew to the league, but he's getting the basics wrong. He's very erratic. When it's him and an attacker through on goal, he lacks in confidence and doesn't seem to know whether to slide in, whether to block off, or whether to grab the ball and pass. He made one crunching tackle, but it's just not enough for someone who is 'gifted' with his physique.

Stephen Carr - 5.9. Hmm... Carr was alright. But he holds us back terribly. He wasn't particularly bad, and it'd be unfair to slate him for that performance, but he just lacks so much. He got the ball and passed it fine - but he offers absolutely nothing going forward, due to a lack of pace - and seemingly lack of intelligent footballing brain. But he was fairly strong at the back.

James Milner - 6. He came in fits and spurts did Milner, and i think he - along with Duff especially in the second half - didn't get enough of the ball. I think he could have had Clichy a good couple of times and there were some intelligent runs through the centre from the likes of Martins, when Milner had the ball. He was alright, but didn't have the effect on the game that he usually has.

Nicky Butt - 7. Butt was told to go out there and do a defensive job. Win the ball and stop Arsenal in their tracks - halt their fancy passing play and just get stuck in. And he did that very well, he was a thorn in their side. He and Emre got a bit caught up a few times but i don't think that was down to him. Good player and a good performance.

Belozoglu Emre - 5. I'm going to be fairly harsh on Emre, because he simply wasn't at the races when we desperately needed him to be. We needed him to be the innovative, creative one - helping the strikers and getting the ball forward. But he wasn't, he was all over the place really, and ran into brick walls. His set pieces were dire, aswell. But i still like him, he could be such a good player for us.

Damien Duff - 6. Duff was OK in the first half. He got the ball and used it well, and teased the defense at times. He really faded out as the second half progressed, though, and should have been withdrawn early on in the second period.

Obafemi Martins - 6. Oba did quite well in the first period - he mixed things up, played the ball well, and was generally a nuisance. When Dyer went off though, and not replaced by any striker of any sort whatsoever, Martins just wasn't in it. Especially considering Emre was so wayward with his attacking approach; Martins excellent flick ons and, surprisingly good, control of the ball - he didn't really have a hope. He was alright, though.

Kieron Dyer - 6. Not bad, but never really in it, and got injured. Not a lot to say tbh.

---

Charles N'Zogbia - 5. Did nothing. Isn't a centre-midfielder. Good to see him back but get him on the left for God's Sake.

Kieron Dyer not bad??  He was fucking awful.

Arsenal were there for the taking today. Some might not agree but I think if we had Ameobi today we'd have caused them all sorts of problems. They weren't confident with any of the balls which came their way, both aeriel and on the ground. Martins had the measure of them he just needed some physical presence alongside him to win those aeriel balls and hold it up. Because we had to midgets up front Martins had to go for all those balls.

We definitely lost something when Dyer came off.

Butt was immense and I was impressed with our defence today. Still not convinced by Gooch and don't think he's good enough but credit where it's due he hardly put a foot wrong today, matched Adebayor for pace and power didn't give him any room. Taylor and Solano were fantastic and Carr didn't let us down. If Dyer had stayed on or if we'd had a powerful striker I reckon we'd have won this one. Duff showed a lot of hunger and seems to be approaching some sort of form.

Two points dropped rather than one gained. But at least for the mean time we seem to have got our act together. That intertoto place is still a possibility.

Not for the first time this season, our passing and movement was terrible. No conviction. Not enough running into positions on anticipation of a pass, although tiredness may have played a part.

On the bright side, Taylor looked very confident and commanding. Solano also did very well in possession.

I was expecting a big game from Emre, and was a bit disappointed.

I agree with others that Dyer didn't do much, but we definitely lost something when he came off. Arsenal got the upper hand when we brought him off for Zoggy, we suddenly weren't pressing their defence as much and they dominated second half possession.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Playing Dyer up front is useless, when we do that, no-one makes breaks from midfield, not even the Turkish wondermidget

Guest WalkervilleMag

Plus Points:

/ N'Zogbia returned

Negative Points:

/ We were too negative.

---

Kieron Dyer not bad??  He was f****** awful.

sooner he is shipped out this club the better. Absolute waste of a shirt.  would throw him in the reserves till the end of the season, and play andy carroll.  If he does not like it though.  him and his buddy Bramble can pack each others bags, and plot which club they can fleese millions of quid out of next.

Completely toothless upfront, thought we were nice and solid at the back. Gooch 5.5? What did he do wrong exactly? No one got past Taylor and him all afternoon.

Dyer was shite, as was N'Zogbia but whose idea was it to play him upfront?!

Didn't like the way we were pretty negative, and does Harper really have to take so long with every goal kick?

Emre needs to learn to take set pieces. What a frustrating match, so many missed chances and cock ups. We could have won!

3,000 (if that, quite a few empty spaces..) sat for the whole match, they're a joke.

Dyer has had more good games than bad and has been one of our better performers overall this season.

He isn't a striker, in my view his best position is right wing, that's what's best for the team, though not many seem to agree. I think he could also make a dangerous substitute.

Every time he has a few average/poor games there are people who want to sell him. I don't understand it to be honest.

I'd say Dyer has more bad games than good tbh, think he's shit. He gives it all that about how is attitude has changed, but he still saunters about half the time, really frustrating

Gooch 5.5? What did he do wrong exactly?

Poor pass back nearly costing us and not far off an own goal with no pressure on him, if it was Bramble doing the same thing there would probably be a 5 page thread right now. He did "ok" but he shows the same lapses that Bramble is often slated for.

Emre needs to get forward a lot more, he is always too deep!

Given- 7 One shot one save.

Nobby-7 Fantastic distribution and defending

Gooch-7 A bit shakey at times but a collosus in the air and di not let us down.

Taylor-8 Fast becoming one of the best.

Carr-7 Solid, can't fault the guy at left back

Milner-7 Fantastic effort provided our best attacks.

Butt-9 Awesome, won everything

Emre-7 Looks far better balanced with Butt, good effort.

Duff- 7 Looked alot better than recently, put his foot in.

Dyer-6 Poor

Martins-6 Bit better than Dyer still poor.

Harper-7

Zoggy-6.5

I thought Gooch was solid, it wasn't a perfect performance but he deserved a clean sheet and deserves praise for his performance.

I still don't think he's good enough to get a contract though.

Completely toothless upfront, thought we were nice and solid at the back. Gooch 5.5? What did he do wrong exactly? No one got past Taylor and him all afternoon.

Dyer was s****, as was N'Zogbia but whose idea was it to play him upfront?!

Didn't like the way we were pretty negative, and does Harper really have to take so long with every goal kick?

Gooch - a bad backpass that nearly ended in tears, booting the ball out of the box when Harper clearly called for it, a few other mistakes here and there.  It wasn't a bad game for him, he played alright; but he's not good enough for us because we want to progress.  I reckon he's a great guy but we have to be a little more ruthless with signings.

It was no-ones idea to play Zoggy up front.  Iirc Emre played further upfield and Zoggy took over the centre midfield role.  I think Zoggy is better on the left too but he says he's best in centre midfield and Roeder didn't really have a choice.  It was Dyer coming off, not Duff.  Duff is best on the left.

Agreed with the rest.

Guest redmayne

Mate, I resent that comment, I workin my arse off in a game and our manager beasts us in trainin! i actually play county football so its a step up from local football but still! lol

sorry didn't mean to offend.....

mind you if youre doing 3 in 3 thats some effort

as for your manager beasting you... errrrr ;-)