Favourite Foreign Clubs

Unlucky Luque

Guest alexharrisonnufc

NUFC are by far away my most important club, and the only one I truly 100% support, and I admit I do take an interest in the exploits of Wycombe Wanderers (my birthplace club, so it's the same as Wullie and Hartlepool for example), but thats it for English clubs. In terms of 'foreign' support, I'm pretty mad about Barca (and have been since about '98) and more recently, Marseille who just have this aura I like.

Don't really have a Dutch team but I've always liked Fiorentina (think they used to be sponsored by Nintendo or something years and years ago and I saw that on Football Italia and have always liked them since...) in Italy, and Stuttgart in Germany (not sure how that started, probably a mixture of late night football on TV and Pro Evo if I'm to be perfectly honest).

Its like me and Lincoln City, but newcastle are always first choice

I follow Lincoln a bit too, makes sense seeing as I only live literally a 5 minute walk away from Sincil Bank.

where abouts are you from then?

NUFC are by far away my most important club, and the only one I truly 100% support, and I admit I do take an interest in the exploits of Wycombe Wanderers (my birthplace club, so it's the same as Wullie and Hartlepool for example), but thats it for English clubs. In terms of 'foreign' support, I'm pretty mad about Barca (and have been since about '98) and more recently, Marseille who just have this aura I like.

Don't really have a Dutch team but I've always liked Fiorentina (think they used to be sponsored by Nintendo or something years and years ago and I saw that on Football Italia and have always liked them since...) in Italy, and Stuttgart in Germany (not sure how that started, probably a mixture of late night football on TV and Pro Evo if I'm to be perfectly honest).

I follow Lincoln a bit too, makes sense seeing as I only live literally a 5 minute walk away from Sincil Bank.

Wycombe originally but I live in Lincoln now. Live just off Portland St if that rings any proverbial bells, won't say exactly where though, because that'd be, well, stupid of me.

I'll make it clear that I don't support any other club - only NUFC.

But I do have clubs I like.

SPAIN: Barcelona. Yeah, they play good football, but I also like the way the club is run, and I wish so much we were run in a similar way. Also, during the Franco regime, Barcelona became the focal point of Catalan defiance. Catalonia had been a bastian of Republican forces and support in the Spanish Civil War and held out right until the end. Following the war, Republicans and their sympathisers were brutally suppressed, particularly the Catalans and the Basques whose distinctive cultures and languages were seen as Anti-Spain by the Francoists. Their customs, identities and languages were banned. Therefore, FC Barcelona became the means by which they could display their identity, vent their anger.

SCOTLAND: Celtic. Went to a pre-season tournament NUFC were in at Ibrox and was sickened by all the sectarian bullsh!t I saw and heard. For someone who's ancestors came from Ireland, hearing songs about wanting to kill and murder Irish people was disgusting. I never paid much attention to the auld firm before that, I didn't care much, but the experience warmed me to Celtic, although I know they have c*nts who do the same sort of sh!t back.

That's about it, although I would like to mention that I do have a soft spot for another English club. Tranmere. I have a lot of family down that way, and they were the first team my Mam followed when she was a kid (obviously she moved up here, started taking me to watch NUFC and got sucked in to NUFC herself). I have aunts, uncles and cousins who are big Tranmere fans and I've watched them a number of times down the years. I like it when we've met them. I remember the first time we did (not counting that Mercantile credit tournament) and my mam being worried over her divided loyalties, but once the match was underway she found she was automatically going for NUFC.

Guest alexharrisonnufc

Wycombe originally but I live in Lincoln now. Live just off Portland St if that rings any proverbial bells, won't say exactly where though, because that'd be, well, stupid of me.

oh i know where mate lived near there myself now i live in nettleham, but in lincoln there all glory hunters there either mancs scousers or the newer breed support chelski

Lad I met when I was studying in Spain came from there and supported them so sort of just adopted them as my German team!

Ah, I was just wondering. They do have a huge tradition, but I couldn't think of a reason how a foreigner could get attracted by them nowadays. They are doing well this season though, might even get into Europe.

Guest Knightrider

None really, but if I had to choose, probably Ajax after watchinga documentary about them a few years back, about their methods developing players and such.

oh i know where mate lived near there myself now i live in nettleham, but in lincoln there all glory hunters there either mancs scousers or the newer breed support chelski

Indeed, but with that said I see a lot of red and white (Lincoln, not Sunderland) shirts around the place and occasionally random others (it being a uni city and all that).

Don't support any foreign teams.  I have teams that I like watching because they play good, exciting football, but I don't give a toss if they lose or anything.  It's also usually the better teams that do that in the leagues - I enjoy watching the likes of Barca, Milan, Inter, Juventus, Arsenal (do they count as foreign? :tongue:), Valenica, Seville, etc.  No link to any foreign clubs though, so I don't support anybody.

I kind of have a soft spot for Borussia Dortmund because I went to one of their home matches about 10 years ago too.

Brann.

Apart from them, I agree with this:

SPAIN: Barcelona. Yeah, they play good football, but I also like the way the club is run, and I wish so much we were run in a similar way. Also, during the Franco regime, Barcelona became the focal point of Catalan defiance. Catalonia had been a bastian of Republican forces and support in the Spanish Civil War and held out right until the end. Following the war, Republicans and their sympathisers were brutally suppressed, particularly the Catalans and the Basques whose distinctive cultures and languages were seen as Anti-Spain by the Francoists. Their customs, identities and languages were banned. Therefore, FC Barcelona became the means by which they could display their identity, vent their anger.

Spain: Barca (worked close by, and went to a match at Camp Nou)

Holland: Ajax (Good Dutch mate supports them, and went to Amsterdam tourny to see them)

Italy: Dont really care - keep an eye on Sampdorias results, due to have a mate from Genoa

Portugal: Dont care

Germany: Dont care

Finland: HJK Helsinki