Eriksson For Toon

Guest Spark

From hollywood players to hollywood managers eh?

I say go for him regardless of cost. He's been off of club management so long that I'm not sure if he's still got the magic touch, but we aern't going anywhere at the moment so any sort of roll of the die is a good idea I say.

The money can't be THAT much, and if we don't use it on Sven, we'll probably just waste it on something else anyway.

I'd definitely take Sven. There's no denying that his managerial record at club level is superb.

It would either be a stunning success or a fantastic failure.  This is a strange club.  You could definitely say goodbye to sentimental wasters like Lee Clark, Ramage, etc, but I don't know whether his style would work in the Premiership.

Guest Invicta_Toon

I'd definitely take Sven. There's no denying that his managerial record at club level is superb.

ridiculous to even compare the two situations.

Guest Invicta_Toon

before managing england he was the one of highly rated manager in the world. I don't know why after manage england his form was not as great as before. It might be because FA paid so much money on him then he become one of the england celebrity.

As England manager he only lost four competitive games the Northern Ireland qualifer and the three quarter-final defeats (two on penalties). It's not a bad record, really.

if you completely ignore the performances. How many dour draws was it?

before managing england he was the one of highly rated manager in the world. I don't know why after manage england his form was not as great as before. It might be because FA paid so much money on him then he become one of the england celebrity.

As England manager he only lost four competitive games – the Northern Ireland qualifer and the three quarter-final defeats (two on penalties). It's not a bad record, really.

I think these are the factor which people judging him for... u cannot blame the fans wasn't appreciate him... result is important for how the fans judging the manager

Guest Invicta_Toon

From hollywood players to hollywood managers eh?

I say go for him regardless of cost. He's been off of club management so long that I'm not sure if he's still got the magic touch, but we aern't going anywhere at the moment so any sort of roll of the die is a good idea I say.

The money can't be THAT much, and if we don't use it on Sven, we'll probably just waste it on something else anyway.

this is crazy. His wages are certainly not a small issue. Do you think we would have signed the players we did in the last 2 windows if we had that kind of cash available?

And as for taking a punt, it's a toss of the coin, think on exactly what happened regarding the FA and his contract.

As England manager he only lost four competitive games ? the Northern Ireland qualifer and the three quarter-final defeats (two on penalties). It's not a bad record, really.

I'd be happy enough if we'd only lost four matches out of the last 38.

Guest Invicta_Toon

A toss of a coin gives you a 50/50 chance, Roeder gives you no chance, its an easy decision IMO..

right, so we just take a 50/50 chance at having to pay him off and replace yet another team in 18 months. Top thinking. I seriously hope you don't have a job involving any responsibility

Guest Invicta_Toon

As England manager he only lost four competitive games ? the Northern Ireland qualifer and the three quarter-final defeats (two on penalties). It's not a bad record, really.

so, out of those 34 wins or draws, assuming as you do that England is NUFC Premiership standard, who exactly would we have been playing in th ePremiership to get wins or draws against this lot:

Finland

Albania (twice)

Slovakia (twice)

Macedonia (twice)

Liechtenstein (twice)

Wales (twice)

Azerbaijan

Northern Ireland

Trinidad and Tobago

so, out of those 34 wins or draws, assuming as you do that England is NUFC Premiership standard, who exactly would we have been playing in th ePremiership to get wins or draws against this lot:

Finland

Albania (twice)

Slovakia (twice)

Macedonia (twice)

Liechtenstein (twice)

Wales (twice)

Azerbaijan

Northern Ireland

Trinidad and Tobago

You can only beat what's put in front of you, and England didn't lose 1-5 to any of those at home.

In fact, under Eriksson, England never lost a competitive game at home, full stop.

Guest Beachcomber

:clap: Well, well well! Fat Fred has done it again.

No rumours of signing Ronaldo or Ronaldinho This time!

Could it be that the season ticket renewals are coming out soon?

I've got to stop this, I'm becoming  syinical.

As England manager he only lost four competitive games the Northern Ireland qualifer and the three quarter-final defeats (two on penalties). It's not a bad record, really.

Yet you defend that cunt Roeder, who has produced a team with far worse relative performances.

Guest teepee

if we are to change manager we need someone who is a lot better than what we have - and in my honest oppinion sven is not!

just look at what a brilliant manager did to roma on tuesday - even without three of his best players!

if we are to change manager we need someone who is a lot better than what we have - and in my honest oppinion sven is not!

just look at what a brilliant manager did to roma on tuesday - even without three of his best players!

Any manager is better than what we have. Because our manager is completely and utterly out of his depth in the premiership.

I feel its the closest we would get to someone of SBR`s talent for a while. If you think of who didn`t want the job when we ended up with Roeder.  If you think of how shite England have become since he left, he was obviously doing something right. With the English media to answer to i`m sure he always played it safe in games first. I don`t know enough about his club record and how his teams played without that pressure.

Its quite ironic, anal mentioned something in Tuesdays's Ronny about this. He said that because Tord Grip was at the Arsenal game it was inevitable that the Sven rumours would resurface!

Owen's in great shape: RoederApr 10 2007

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Glenn Roeder has admitted England striker Michael Owen is close to a comeback.

And the Newcastle United boss revealed today that after briefly considering unleashing Owen and Shola Ameobi after their long fights for fitness in tomorrow's reserve game with Manchester United, he decided against it.

However, Roeder insisted the £17m man remains firmly on course in his rehabilitation from knee surgery.

He said: "With Michael, it is quite simple: the very fact we considered him for a game on Wednesday - and Shola is the same - just shows you how close both of them are to playing.

"You can make your own assumptions from that.

Story continues

ADVERTISEMENT

"Michael Owen is world news, not just British news, in football. If I say he is going to play in the middle of next week and he does not, hysteria breaks out that he has had a setback when, for sure, he has not.

"All I can say is we are getting very, very close. He is in great shape, he really is. And we can pick up the phone to any local club and get a friendly pretty quickly, within a day."

Owen has not played since rupturing his anterior cruciate ligament in England's World Cup finals clash with Sweden in June last year.

And he has managed only 11 appearances and 10 starts for United since his big-money move from Real Madrid in August 2005.

But Owen was at St James' Park yesterday - and so too was Sir Bobby Robson - while England boss Steve McClaren was sitting next to Sven-Goran Eriksson's No 2, Tord Grip.

However, while Sir Bobby was a guest of Freddy Shepherd, Tord Grip was there at the invitation of Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein, although this will not stop speculation - which will be 100% wrong - that Eriksson is bound for St James' Park.

Didn'y Nancy reveal a few months ago that Sven has lined up a deal with a Premiership Club already?

And Grip could have been anyones guest - would it be beyond Oliver to put the denial in on Shepherds behalf? Saggy faced cunt would sell his wife if Shepherd ordered it.

Surely he would do better than Roeder?

so do we get to judge Sven after just 18 months too? What will be the criteria for success then? 9th?

This club needs more than a poxy manager change, a third one in 3 years at that

Very true but I don't honestly think SGE would go anywhere near SJP unless the basic structure of the club was overhauled too.  The fact that the original article came from the Times gave it a lot of credence, the fact that it was written by Matt Dickinson even more so.  One of the best journos around and not often shown to get info wrong.

Guest stormrider

It's more about the timing of bringing him in (i.e. before the transfer window). Bringing him 3 games into next season will make him as useless as roeder tbh.

A) That article is complete s***, and follows on from Alan Oliver writing the other day that Eriksonn's no.2 was in the crowd as a guest of someone else.. not Shepherd.

B) We would once again become the laughing stock of the country if Sven was appointed. We are slowly becomming more respected since Shearer and Souness left.

C) We all know how poor many of Englands performances were. Why risk that happening?

I actually think he could take Newcastle to being a consistent challenger to the big 4 if he were appointed, a view shared most of the Spurs fans on my forum.  "The prospect of SGE being followed in by a rich Yank doesn't even bear thinking about" is how one described it.

There was a rumour that Freddie and Roeder had had a row after the Man City game, so it wouldn't completely surprise me if Freddie had sounded out another manager. He's been linked with Eriksson before.

I think Eriksson's a good manager, and if he's still got the motivation, he can do well again at club level. But I feel that Freddie's style of leadership is very undermining to his managers, and unless he goes or he changes his ways, no-one's going to be able to bring success.

Surely he would do better than Roeder?

so do we get to judge Sven after just 18 months too? What will be the criteria for success then? 9th?

This club needs more than a poxy manager change, a third one in 3 years at that

Very true but I don't honestly think SGE would go anywhere near SJP unless the basic structure of the club was overhauled too.  The fact that the original article came from the Times gave it a lot of credence, the fact that it was written by Matt Dickinson even more so.  One of the best journos around and not often shown to get info wrong.

I'm not sure about the writer himself, but the Times spout as much s*** as every other paper, but it's looked upon as more credible because it's a "posh paper".

Dickinson did the article with Hoddle which caused his departure as the England manager and was also the first to say that George Graham had been getting brown paper bags whilst at Arsenal.  Very well informed imo.

Jesus, Sven is one of the most tactically inept managers I have ever seen - his club success based on money and his ability to make good players look like dross with England is legendary.  If ever there was a mercanary manager it was him!

.............its a guarantee that we will sign him! :coolsmiley: