Coppell: Sidwell will leave Reading

Guest smoggeordie

Guest smoggeordie

Reading manager Steve Coppell has admitted star midfielder Steve Sidwell will leave the club this summer.

Sidwell, 24, is out of contract in the summer and has been linked with several Premiership sides including Chelsea, Manchester United and Tottenham.

"I anticipate that he won't be here next year," said Coppell. "This is an exciting time for him and I'm sure a lot of clubs would love to sign him.

"When the big boys come in, it's hard for players to resist."

Sidwell has been an influential force for Reading this season as the club has consolidated their position in the Premiership.

He wants to get to the very top of the tree and you can't fault that

However, Sidwell, a former Arsenal trainee, rejected a new deal in July 2006 and now seems likely to be lured by a switch to a Premiership rival.

Coppell first signed Sidwell on loan when he was in charge of Brentford in 2001 and signed him on a permanent basis at Reading two years later.

Coppell told Sky Sports: "We understand that but we don't necessarily like this law of the jungle."

The Reading boss also has his doubts about whether Sidwell would be prepared to fit into a larger squad where selection is done on rotation.

"Steve is a battler and thrives on the physical challenge of playing every week," he added.

"I'm not sure whether he would be comfortable playing for a team that rotates their players.

"But he wants to get to the very top of the tree and you can't fault that kind of drive."

BBC Football

Guest JamesD

he's decent, but i really don;t think he's top 4 material.  He works hard, gets himself into the box, but he doesn't have the technical ability needed to play for a top 4 side. don;t think any of the top 4 need a new CM either.

Would personally be surprise if the likes of Man Utd and Chelsea (especially Chelsea, what the fuck would they do with him?).

If Chelsea sign him, no-one else can.

[/cynical]

Guest JamesD

Would personally be surprise if the likes of Man Utd and Chelsea (especially Chelsea, what the f*** would they do with him?).

[/cynical]

my moms been pushing that theory to me, that chelsea buy players simply so their competition can;t get them.  Can;t say i;ve been buying into it though.

Would personally be surprise if the likes of Man Utd and Chelsea (especially Chelsea, what the f*** would they do with him?).

[/cynical]

my moms been pushing that theory to me, that chelsea buy players simply so their competition can;t get them.  Can;t say i;ve been buying into it though.

That, or they'll 'park' him.

Guest Invicta_Toon

[/cynical]

christ even your mam knows more about football than you

thats just sad

Guest Invicta_Toon

Come to the top of the tree ginger nut, join Newcastle :lol:

ignore him everyone and he might just go away

how very errrr.. adult? of you

get over yourself man

I can see Sidwell leaving having a major impact on Reading.  He's their main midfielder and I can't see them signing anyone of his calibre to replace him, as they've only had one decent season in the top flight, I thinklosing him could have the same sort of effect as Chimbonda leaving Wigan has. 

Now of course one player doesn't make a team but they can have major influences over the team.  I've been impressed with Sidwell every time I've seen him. 

I can't really see what he would add to the teams he's been linked to though.  Spurs have a pretty solid midfield imo, while Newcastle have individually talented players who, from the impression I get, fail to work together.  While we all know the quality in Man Utd and Chelsea's midfield's.

I can see why Sidwell would want to move but I think staying at Reading would probably be more beneficial to him, even if just for a year, where he can prove himself more.

I can see Sidwell leaving having a major impact on Reading.  He's their main midfielder and I can't see them signing anyone of his calibre to replace him, as they've only had one decent season in the top flight, I thinklosing him could have the same sort of effect as Chimbonda leaving Wigan has. 

Now of course one player doesn't make a team but they can have major influences over the team.  I've been impressed with Sidwell every time I've seen him. 

Coppell said on SSN today that he was going to leave him out for some games before the end of the season 'to get used to him not being there'.

Coppell said on SSN today that he was going to leave him out for some games before the end of the season 'to get used to him not being there'.

Good thinking by Coppell.  But I still reckon losing Sidwell will have a impact on Reading's game.  If I'm honest I don't know who would come in and replace him, possibly Oster and moving Little inside, but then I've never taken much interest in Reading, so I suppose it's quite unfair of me to say that they can't replace him. 

I could see Spurs having a go at signing him.  Bolton, Everton and us. 

With his tainted background, Sidwell would never opt for Spurs!  Always said he would be headed for SJP, seen or heard nothing to make me change my mind.  What I said here last month.............

Quote from: KaKa on March 20, 2007, 11:43:10 PM

Quote from: Ally on March 20, 2007, 11:31:28 PM

The Times have a canny knack of getting football gossip right, you know. They often slip things like that into an article, without any quotes etc but then in a few weeks/months it'll come true. Happened most recently with Mascherano, no other paper really talked about it but they kept pressing it every day.

Not seen a lot of Sidwell tbh, is he an attacking midfielder?

Hmmm...I would say more of a play maker who gets into decent goal scoring positions. Doesn't really drive forward past people per se. More of a Fabregas or Alonso type than a Gerrard type. Lovely passer and distributor (probably due to his Arsenal upbringing!). Good height too at 5 foot 10!

Pretty fair description imho.  Talented player but tainted by his background!

Tbh, always thought he would be headed to SJP, the only other clubs I've seen him linked to were Blackburn and Pompey.

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=37581.0

Rumour has it that Sidwell and his agent have been to look around Goodison!!

More chance of us getting him then if they've let him see the piss soaked bus-stop he'd be playing in if he joined the scouse mackems.

I have a feeling he won't care as long as he gets top dollar!

Pains me to say it but he's only leaving Reading cos he thinks he's worth more than they're prepared to pay!

Think you're probably right.  Typical ex-scum player though you'll probably come up trumps with his replacement coming from Cork and costing about £25k!!  BTW, I still think you've got one of the most astute managers in the premiership.