Biggest decision of the summer

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest sicko2ndbest

If i am right then Sheperd only gave Roeder a 2 year contract. How would you feel as a player if you knew the manager only had 1 year left and the season after you could be playing for someone else, will this inspire the players to do their best for a manager on borrowed time?

If Roeder does not sign an extension over the summer it is pretty obvious that FS is looking elsewhere. No manager in the premiership can work on a contract with only a year left, it sends out bad signals.

Shepherd needs to offer Roeder an extension or get someone else in or else next season will be a write-off b4 it has started.

My guess is that Shepherd hoped and thought Roeder would be able to do a decent enough job this season to be able to let him continue on next season, before getting moved aside after next season for Shearer to take over.

Now we're in a real problem position, if Shepherd still wants Shearer as his boss ultimately. Who is going to take the job here unless they have Shepherd's full backing, as in being given finances to rebuild the team?

Surely FS wouldn't give big money to a manager he had no long term plans for?

If he wants Shearer as his boss, he should offer him the job this summer. Take it or leave it, Al. If Shearer turns him down, forget about him and look for a top boss and back him to the hilt, long term.

I've no faith though.

If i am right then Sheperd only gave Roeder a 2 year contract. How would you feel as a player if you knew the manager only had 1 year left and the season after you could be playing for someone else, will this inspire the players to do their best for a manager on borrowed time?

If Roeder does not sign an extension over the summer it is pretty obvious that FS is looking elsewhere. No manager in the premiership can work on a contract with only a year left, it sends out bad signals.

Shepherd needs to offer Roeder an extension or get someone else in or else next season will be a write-off b4 it has started.

I think i'd opt for the latter. :o :thup:

My guess is that Shepherd hoped and thought Roeder would be able to do a decent enough job this season to be able to let him continue on next season, before getting moved aside after next season for Shearer to take over.

Now we're in a real problem position, if Shepherd still wants Shearer as his boss ultimately. Who is going to take the job here unless they have Shepherd's full backing, as in being given finances to rebuild the team?

Surely FS wouldn't give big money to a manager he had no long term plans for?

If he wants Shearer as his boss, he should offer him the job this summer. Take it or leave it, Al. If Shearer turns him down, forget about him and look for a top boss and back him to the hilt, long term.

Agreed. I think most managers with ambition and belief in their ability would snatch this job. The prize for succeeding is massive and they all know it.

Agreed. I think most managers with ambition and belief in their ability would snatch this job. The prize for succeeding is massive and they all know it.

Nobody seemed to want the job when Bobby or Souness were sacked, if they did want it then we surely wouldn't have had Souness or Roeder.

http://moneyextra.uk-wire.com/cgi-bin/articles/200605161048080351D.html

says

Newcastle United PLC

16 May 2006

16 May 2006

Appointment of Manager

Newcastle United today announced that Glenn Roeder has been appointed as

Team Manager on a two year contract.

This information is provided by RNS

The company news service from the London Stock Exchange

Nobody seemed to want the job when Bobby or Souness were sacked, if they did want it then we surely wouldn't have had Souness or Roeder.

i think that was timing to be fair mick, managers dont tend to like to come during a season.

good ones anyway.

Couldn't agree more, Shepherd did unbelievably well to get Souness then Roeder from all the ambitious and confident managers from the list who were willing to snatch the job

Couldn't agree more, Shepherd did unbelievably well to get Souness then Roeder from all the ambitious and confident managers from the list who were willing to snatch the job

again macbeth, i think this was due to timing.

im pretty sure if we had sacked bobby when we should have, i.e end of season when liverpool did houillier in, we would never have ended up with souness.

they have obviously been reading your informed and professional website.

Or talking to that willy woofter who runs the Post Office, you know, the bloke you think would be our ideal chairman

Your faith in the club you say you support is touching. Such unambitious talk would have made Mckeag and his cronies proud, as I'm sure you have so much else in common with them.

Guess again. The word you missed was "confident". At the end of the day, someone who is afraid of the job isn't for us, as Roeder himself has said, and you don't know if anyone was afraid of it or not.

Not like when we had a shit board though MIck, and even Newcastle supporters weren't interested in the job.

Or talking to that willy woofter who runs the Post Office, you know, the bloke you think would be our ideal chairman

Your faith in the club you say you support is touching. Such unambitious talk would have made Mckeag and his cronies proud, as I'm sure you have so much else in common with them.

Ahhh NE5 you so crazzzzzzy!  bluelaugh.gif

whats wrong with it ?

whats wrong with it ?

Haven't heard it in ages :D

No manager in the premiership can work on a contract with only a year left, it sends out bad signals.

Wasn't SBR on a rolling year-to-year contract on account of his age? ???

No manager in the premiership can work on a contract with only a year left, it sends out bad signals.

aye, but he forgot about it.  :weep:

Wasn't Sir Alex Ferguson too for a while until he changed his mind ?

aye, but he forgot about it.  :weep:

Wasn't Sir Alex Ferguson too for a while until he changed his mind ?

I believe that may be right actually.

In SAF's case it did cause uncertainty, but mainly in the City rather than in the dressing room. Wasn't aware the rolling contract in SBR's case had that much of an effect until the very end.