Houllier

Guest BlueWhiteMonkey

I'd be happier if if was just Houllier and Roeder gone. I think Houllier is a sound manager to be fair and has created a formiddable team with Lyon albeit after taking over when they were still quite strong.

Still though I would prefer a Houllier/Roeder team than Roeder on his own.

Guest Gemmill

I'd be happier if if was just Houllier and Roeder gone. I think Houllier is a sound manager to be fair and has created a formiddable team with Lyon albeit after taking over when they were still quite strong.

Still though I would prefer a Houllier/Roeder team than Roeder on his own.

I would take Roeder/Bodger and Badger over Roeder on his own tbh.

Roeder, in the Sun...

But the United boss is also confident of an imminent off-field signing.

"I hope to be able to make a key appointment in terms of scouting in the very near future," he said. "I think there will be more of a European flavour about our set-up."

I'd be against getting Houllier as a Director of Football.

In my opinion, a DOF needs to be in that position for a long period to build an effective scouting/youth network. Roeder may be happy to work with Houllier, they are known to have strong respect for one another, but when Roeder goes, we'd want the DOF to remain a DOF.

Managers probably wont want to work under Houllier because he is too much of a manager himself. So the only option would be to make Houllier manager, or to sack Houllier, which would bring us back to square one in terms of improving the club structure.

I'm all for Houllier as manager, but a DOF position seems a waste of time to me, especially considering the inevitable.

In my opinion, a DOF needs to be in that position for a long period to build an effective scouting/youth network. Roeder may be happy to work with Houllier, they are known to have strong respect for one another, but when Roeder goes, we'd want the DOF to remain a DOF.

Managers probably wont want to work under Houllier because he is too much of a manager himself. So the only option would be to make Houllier manager, or to sack Houllier, which would bring us back to square one in terms of improving the club structure.

I'm all for Houllier as manager, but a DOF position seems a waste of time to me, especially considering the inevitable.

It'll be a matter of weeks before he's telling Rodent/SGE what to do with the team. blueyes.gif

would be a great move

Explain?

i think he is a very good manager and has done well at lyon (in champs league etc) even though he has had to sell some of his best players, he also won a few things over here not so long ago.

a good gaffer and a vast improvement

I think it may give us scope to employ a younger fresher manager though. Maybe an upcoming Championship manager or someone like Coleman or Bothroyd! With Houllier experience behind them I think something like that could work.

I don't think you could bring in an established manager to world with Houllier as a DOF then the problems you mention I can see happening!

Roeder isn't respected in the back, whereas a figure like Houllier would be. I would prefer a similar partnership to the Evans/Houllier at Liverpool, with a nice smooth change over... the last thing we need is yet another manager being fired and left in the dark when the next one comes in!

Dalglish, Souness, Houllier... 3rd time lucky?

Last time our 3rd option worked out well.

After KK left

Dalglish - Crap

Gullit - Crap

Bobby - Top Dog

Souness - Crap

Roeder - Crap

New guy - ????

so if he is the 3rd manager since our last good one and our 3rd former Liverpool manager then Houllier is sure to be a sucess. Wheres the Champions League final in 2 years time?? :)

Guest Knightrider

Why don't the board just grow a pair of balls and tell Roeder to fuck off, bring in Houllier or whoever and be done with it, instead of fannying on over DOF's and helping Glenn out, if he needs help he shouldn't be in the job.

Aye, who the fuck needs coaches and physios and assistants and all that shite?

I could manage the Toon on my todd in my fucking sleep, man :laugh:

The DOF thing is undoubtedly the way of the world these days, because managing a PL team is a big enough job as it is, without taking responsibility for almost every aspect of the entire operation. I bet even the likes of Alex Ferguson has a top-notch support network underneath him.

Janitor thats ture. You just have to look and see who we got and you know we got no chance. Though to be fair I bet Terry Mac earns his wages at Chrimbo time organising the party and all!

Guest Knightrider

Aye, who the fuck needs coaches and physios and assistants and all that shite?

I could manage the Toon on my todd in my fucking sleep, man :laugh:

The DOF thing is undoubtedly the way of the world these days, because managing a PL team is a big enough job as it is, without taking responsibility for almost every aspect of the entire operation. I bet even the likes of Alex Ferguson has a top-notch support network underneath him.

By getting in a top manager to assist a crap one? Why not get rid of the crap one, bring in a top one and give him carte blanch to bring in his OWN staff. Is all I'm saying.

Aye, but this is a slightly more subtle way of doing it, isn't it? If it were to happen, the outcome is entirely predictable and the ends would probably justify the means. It's a difficult one to call, but it's more of a slow progression than a big fuck-off upheavel. I really can't see Houllier coming to assist Roeder like, although stranger things have happened.

I bet Roeder would be more effective with a DOF alongside him, mind, as it would give him more time to focus on the coaching/motivation/selections. Actually, wait...

Guest Knightrider

All the behind the scenes stuff will come to nowt if on the pitch things aren't going in the right direction. I'm all for extra coaches and new ideas, but if the man coaching, selecting and managing the team isn't good enough, what's the point? I say do things as you mean to and not tiptoe around issues. If the board think Roeder needs help then sack him and bring in a manager who doesn't need his hands held in battle.

Guest Invicta_Toon

If this did ever happen (can't be bothered to go and find out if this came from tribalfootball or someother shite), it would only happen like this:

Houllier announced as joint manager in a consultant capactiy only, to help build morale as Roeder has lost the dressing room

Roeder leaves by mutual consent at the end of his contract when we fail to reach the UEFA cup

Houllier spends £50m over 3 years turning us into the new Tottenham pre-2005

Houllier leaves for a crap international job after a suitable team bombs out of the 2010 World Cup

Guest Invicta_Toon

All the behind the scenes stuff will come to nowt if on the pitch things aren't going in the right direction. I'm all for extra coaches and new ideas, but if the man coaching, selecting and managing the team isn't good enough, what's the point? I say do things as you mean to and not tiptoe around issues. If the board think Roeder needs help then sack him and bring in a manager who doesn't need his hands held in battle.

In what dictionary does 'help' mean 'sack'?