Houllier

Guest BlueWhiteMonkey

Guest Invicta_Toon

I'd love to have Houllier here in some form or another, would be a good move I think.

What does a Director of Football actually do, I've never bothered finding out....?

A board level director whose role is advisement of the main board on all matters football

i.e. manager selection, academy management, scouting network etc etc

I'd love to have Houllier here in some form or another, would be a good move I think.

What does a Director of Football actually do, I've never bothered finding out....?

A board level director whose role is advisement of the main board on all matters football

Ah cheers.

Well isn't that exactly what we need right now? Gerard H. in that position would be very good I feel.......or Hitzfeld maybe? ;)

Guest Invicta_Toon

Ah cheers.

Well isn't that exactly what we need right now? Gerard H. in that position would be very good I feel.......or Hitzfeld maybe? ;)

well, the obvious flaws being:

1. (NUFC specific)

No one trusts FF to take proper advice on how to run his train set.

No one believes a rightminded qualified DOF would accept a job with FF as a boss.

There is arguably hardly any board as such to advise, just FF, doug, and JH on the phone

2. (general)

It requires separation and non interference of footballing decisions between manager and DOF

It requires general agreement on policy/direction between manager and DOF

It requires non-lunatic non-kneejerking non-retarded fans

Wouldn't work.

what makes you think that?

He's a manager - he'd want to manage at the first sign of things going wrong. Plus there's the Evans thing at Liverpool.

exactly, worked a treat imo, evans f***** off!

I'm wondering if Houllier is Roeder's unnamed foreign source whom he consults whenever he wants to find out how good a player he knows nothing about is...

This theory should be confirmed when we sign Anthony Le Tallec, Florent Sinama-Pongolle, Djibril Cisse, and Djimi Traore during the summer.

Why the fuck are you talking to yourself? :lol:

I'm wondering if Houllier is Roeder's unnamed foreign source whom he consults whenever he wants to find out how good a player he knows nothing about is...

This theory should be confirmed when we sign Anthony Le Tallec, Florent Sinama-Pongolle, Djibril Cisse, and Djimi Traore during the summer.

Why the fuck are you talking to yourself? :lol:

Dissertation getting to my brains.

I dont want Houllier here as manager and he wont come here only as DOF because he is manager

He is starting to ruin Lyon-elimination from the Champions league and lost the French league cup to Bordo

Yes he will win the French tittle but its more because Lyon dont havy any real competition there rather then Houllier's brilliant management

Still better then the clown who is in charge now though

Pongolle would be a decent signing IMO.

Pongolle would be a decent signing IMO.

:thup: 10 goals in 17 starts in La Liga this season.

The reason I think it would work is because Roeder isn't a very strong personality and neither is he egotistical. I recall how much praise and credit he gave Shearer when Shearer assisted him last season, even though Roeder himself was actually the caretaker manager.

Therefore I think Roeder will be accepting of Houlliers contributions regarding actual team matters and together they would get the best out of the team.

In my opinion Roeder's strongest point is the fact that he is actually an alright sort of bloke and isn't really pig headed. He knows he has been very fortunate to land the Newcastle job considering what he went through and so i think he would not be adverse to workiing alongside Houllier no matter how much Houllier might want to contribute to first team matters.

Would be an outstandingly good move that would definitely work I think.

Wouldn't work.

what makes you think that?

He's a manager - he'd want to manage at the first sign of things going wrong. Plus there's the Evans thing at Liverpool.

Bernard Lacombe is still very much involved in Lyon's transfer dealings although I don't think he still carries the title of Sporting Director, so in that respect Houllier isn't in sole control of all matters.

There's an interesting article on the BBC site:

Lyon exemplify values of patience

If any aspiring football chairman wants to learn how best to run a football club, they could do worse than pay a visit to French champions Lyon.

Les Gones are attempting to become the first club from a major European league to win six titles in succession.

Unbeaten in Le Championnat this season, and already five points clear of second place Marseille, the odds are shortening by the week on Lyon accomplishing their goal of a sixth consecutive title.

In the Champions League, Lyon have been in equally scintillating form, destroying Real Madrid with a virtuoso attacking performance in their opening group game, before demolishing Steaua Bucharest away in Romania in their next match.

As they prepare to face Dynamo Kiev in the Ukraine on Tuesday, Lyon lead Group E by three points.

BBC Sport talks to Tottenham sporting director and Frenchman Damien Comolli to discover the secrets of Lyon's success.

PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE

Unless your name is Roman Abramovich and you have money to burn there are no quick fixes to building a successful football club.

Current Lyon chairman Jean-Michel Aulas took over just under 20 years ago in June 1987.

He had to wait 15 years to realise his dream of bringing Lyon their first French Ligue 1 title.

When Aulas, who was the the chairman of a software company, took over Lyon they were in the second division, but he promised to have the club back in the first division and in European competitions within four years.

In 1988, Aulas appointed Bernard Lacombe as sporting director and former Lyon player Raymond Domenech - now France manager - as coach.

Domenech immediately guided the team to promotion.

Aulas's promise of European football within four years was also delivered, though the club's Uefa Cup campaign was disastrous as they were beaten 8-4 on aggregate by Trabzonspor.

That season - 1991-1992 - Lyon also only avoided relegation by only two points.

Another 10 years was to pass before Lyon picked a major trophy when in May 2001 they claimed the French League Cup, their first piece of silverware since 1973 when they won the French Cup.

In the three years before they claimed the title, Lyon twice finished third and were runners-up in 2001.

The following year Lyon clinched the Ligue 1 crown on the last day of the season, beating Lens 3-1, who had been ahead of them by one point going into the game.

According to Comolli, the continuity provided by Aulas and the club's sporting director Bernard Lacombe has been key to Lyon's success.

"The club has had the the same people, Aulas as chairman, as well as the chief executive and Lacombe as sporting director, since the late 1980s.

"Even when they didn't get the popular results they stayed together. There is a continuity within the management of the club and that is so important."

COACHING SUCCESS

Lyon have had plenty of coaches under Aulas.

As well as Domenech, former Fulham boss Jean Tigana has also coached the club, but Jacques Santini, Paul le Guen - now at Rangers - and current boss Gerard Houllier, are the three coaches who have each taken Lyon to a higher level.

Santini arrived in 2000 and within two years had delivered that elusive title, before he was appointed coach of the French national team.

Le Guen replaced Santini and led the club to their next three league title successes.

But Comolli believes Houllier's appointment in the summer of 2005 could see the club achieve Aulas's next ambition - Champions League success.

"Gerard was the person they needed to finish the job," said Comolli.

"He is very intelligent and has got so much experience. That is why I think they will do something very big in Europe.

"There are six teams who can win the Champions League and Lyon are one of those six.

"You need luck - with refereeing decisions and injuries - but Lyon are up there with the big teams in Europe now."

CIRCLE OF SUCCESS

By winning the French league title again and again and thereby qualifying for the Champions League, Lyon have established a vice-like financial superiority over their domestic rivals.

Over the last two years, Lyon have lost key players such as Michael Essien and Mali midfielder Mahamadou Diarra, but their financial power - the club now has a £100m annual turnover - means they invariably sign the best French players.

Diarra has been replaced by 23-year-old Jeremy Toulalan, who joined from Nantes in the summer, and is seen as Claude Makelele's successor in the French national team.

"Clubs like Paris St Germain, Marseille and Monaco have had no continuity," said Comolli.

"Lyon's stability and success has given them a massive edge over their rvals. Because they win everything that means they can buy the best French players.

"They are miles wealthier than other clubs in France. If you are a French player then there is no other club you aspire to play for."

SCOUTS DO YOUR BEST

As well as recruiting the best French talent, Lyon have discovered if you want to get ahead, a dash of Brazilian skill goes a long way.

The club have established a formidable scouting network in Brazil, which has been developed by Marcelo, the first Brazilian defender to play for Lyon during the 1990s.

Working in tandem with sporting director Lacombe, Marcelo has proved a shrewd judge of talent.

Integral to Lyon's recent success have been defenders Cris and Cacapba, midfielder Juninho and striker Fred.

Juninho proved be an inspirational purchase, the player that dictates how Lyon plays and who scores his fair share of goals, notably from free-kicks.

It is no coincidence that he joined at the start of the season Lyon secured their first league title.

MINING GOLD

Lyon used to have the best academy in France and the first part of their success was partly built on developing their own young players.

Lyon's academy is no longer the best - according to Comolli Rennes has now the most impressive youth development scheme in France- but the French champions are still capable of producing a gem every two or three years.

Much is expected of Hatem Ben Arfa and even more of Karim Benzema.

"Karim is going to be fantastic player," said Comolli.

"He is a striker who can play in wide positions. He is very strong, very quick, who can score goals. He reminds me a bit of Sylvain Wiltord."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/solpda/ifs_sport/hi/newsid_6046000/6046336.stm

Good to see further evidence of just why signing Benzema would be a godsend for NUFC. Will it happen? Like fuck it will. Expect to see that young lad sign for Serie A, or one of the top 4. Hate to say it, I could even see him signing for Spurs before us. :(

Guest Invicta_Toon

"The club has had the the same people, Aulas as chairman, as well as the chief executive and Lacombe as sporting director, since the late 1980s.

"Even when they didn't get the popular results they stayed together. There is a continuity within the management of the club and that is so important."

dangerous posting that on here tbh

dangerous posting that on here tbh

Should guarantee at least a dozen pages! :lol:

Guest FlapjackJoe

Ermmm, am I the only one that considered the option of appointing Glenn as DoF and bringing in another manager?

Glenn Roeder has experience with the academy, he keeps on bringing youngsters through into the team, he was the one that mentioned expanding the scouting network, etc, etc.

I'd think that's a job that would suit him.

And then we get a good manager who's a tactical genius.