Houllier

Guest BlueWhiteMonkey

Ermmm, am I the only one that considered the option of appointing Glenn as DoF and bringing in another manager?

Glenn Roeder has experience with the academy, he keeps on bringing youngsters through into the team, he was the one that mentioned expanding the scouting network, etc, etc.

I'd think that's a job that would suit him.

And then we get a good manager who's a tactical genius.

It's something I could see happening, a way of Roeder getting shipped out of the hot seat without actually having to be fired.

He doesn't have the credentials to be a DOF though and would be a flop in that role IMHO.

Ermmm, am I the only one that considered the option of appointing Glenn as DoF and bringing in another manager?

Glenn Roeder has experience with the academy, he keeps on bringing youngsters through into the team, he was the one that mentioned expanding the scouting network, etc, etc.

It's something I could see happening, a way of Roeder getting shipped out of the hot seat without actually having to be fired.

He doesn't have the credentials to be a DOF though and would be a flop in that role IMHO.

Sacked or shunted sideways?  Suppose it depends how FFS would repay loyalty.  I totally agree with your thoughts on GR's likely success as a DoF, doesn't have have the attributes that would be needed, Pleat is better qualified.  Moving Roeder to a position of DoF very much would be a 'jobs for the boys' appointment.

Guest Gemmill

Sacked or shunted sideways?  Suppose it depends how FFS would repay loyalty.  I totally agree with your thoughts on GR's likely success as a DoF, doesn't have have the attributes that would be needed, Pleat is better qualified.  Moving Roeder to a position of DoF very much would be a 'jobs for the boys' appointment.

Which just happens to be a speciality of ours.  :parky:

Glenn "can't work in a transfer window to save his fucking life" Roeder as DOF? No thanks! :lol:

I would be like asking Bramble to teach Huntington how to keep concentration for 90mins!

Shepherd is so involved on the transfer side that you wonder how exactly a DOF post would work. It might just complicate further an already unsatisfactory situation.

Sir John Hall spoke about a DOF post a few months ago, and I wonder whether he feels that Shepherd needs to distance himself more from the playing side. Trouble is, unless Freddie is properly committed to the idea, there's likely to be problems.

Hopefully with a DoF it would mean Shepherd would take more of a back seat role on the whole thing!

That would be the aim, but if he's still the Chairman, he'd have plenty of opportunities to undermine the role of the DOF, in just the same way as he's undermined the role of the manager. That's what worries me.

Is there any credability to this story??

hard to tell. The guy who wrote it - Chris Bascombe, is pretty close to Liverpool, although not as close as he used to be I don't think. He actually hates Houllier with a passion (cos Houllier wouldn't put up with him at the end of his time here), so I'm amazed he's managed to write something about him without turning it into a slag fest.

Bascombe gets a little more right than your average journo, but he's also as full of s*** as most of them ;) Also, I really wouldn't have a clue how he'd know what Houllier's intentions are, being as I kinda doubt they speak to each other

If the DoF has anything to with the actual football, it'd also be a very bad appointment.

hard to tell. The guy who wrote it - Chris Bascombe, is pretty close to Liverpool, although not as close as he used to be I don't think. He actually hates Houllier with a passion (cos Houllier wouldn't put up with him at the end of his time here), so I'm amazed he's managed to write something about him without turning it into a slag fest.

Bascombe gets a little more right than your average journo, but he's also as full of s*** as most of them ;) Also, I really wouldn't have a clue how he'd know what Houllier's intentions are, being as I kinda doubt they speak to each other

surely he will still have contacts who know houillier though?

maybe he is still mates with cock nose thompson or someone?

who knows.

here's hoping though

I dont want Houllier here as manager and he wont come here only as DOF because he is manager

He is starting to ruin Lyon-elimination from the Champions league and lost the French league cup to Bordo

Yes he will win the French tittle but its more because Lyon dont havy any real competition there rather then Houllier's brilliant management

Still better then the clown who is in charge now though

How many managers reach the quarters and semis of the CL every year? Particularly those not from the three big-money leagues. In the last four seasons, Milan were the only reigning champion to get as far as the quarters the following season. You can't judge a manager on two seasons' performance in the CL. The quality of opposition is too high. Even Bayern and ManUtd managed to go out at the group stage, bypassing the UEFA Cup at some point.

Two League Cups, a Charity Shield, a European SuperCup, a UEFA Cup, an FA Cup and second place in the league is what he achieved with us. But he's not good enough?

I dont want Houllier here as manager and he wont come here only as DOF because he is manager

He is starting to ruin Lyon-elimination from the Champions league and lost the French league cup to Bordo

Yes he will win the French tittle but its more because Lyon dont havy any real competition there rather then Houllier's brilliant management

How many managers reach the quarters and semis of the CL every year? Particularly those not from the three big-money leagues. In the last four seasons, Milan were the only reigning champion to get as far as the quarters the following season. You can't judge a manager on two seasons' performance in the CL. The quality of opposition is too high. Even Bayern and ManUtd managed to go out at the group stage, bypassing the UEFA Cup at some point.

Two League Cups, a Charity Shield, a European SuperCup, a UEFA Cup, an FA Cup and second place in the league is what he achieved with us. But he's not good enough?

Are you refering  about Houllier here??

He only reached 1 quarter-final with Liverpool and 1/8 final with Lyon this year

And yes i dont rate him.After the heart attack he is not the same manager

Guest Knightrider

To be fair he never said he wasn't good enough, which he clearly is even to the most critical. Nowt wrong in wanting different things from a manager though. I have my reservations about Houllier but would welcome him with open arms, ideally he wouldn't be top of my list though.

He only reached 1 quarter-final with Liverpool and 1/8 final with Lyon this year

ONLY reached? So who are you actually planning on attracting?

It seems a bit unreal that people can be so fussy.

I agree with you that he wasn't the same after his illness, but he's still a class apart from a lot of managers.

But, as I've said before, I hope he doesn't go to Newcastle. He'd be hounded out within a year. Never mind the fact that it'd probably kill him!

Guest Knightrider

I agree with you that he wasn't the same after his illness, but he's still a class apart from a lot of managers.

But, as I've said before, I hope he doesn't go to Newcastle. He'd be hounded out within a year. Never mind the fact that it'd probably kill him!

It seems unreal to you because this isn't your club, when the time comes for Liverpool to appoint a new manager, you will disect and over analyse every little detail to make your mind up about a manager, because you want what's best for your club and so do we, again nowt wrong with that. You're interpreting this kids' views the wrong way, that Houllier isn't good enough for NUFC, we demand better etc, when that isn't the case, the kid just wants to see his ideal manager at the club which obviously isn't Houllier, again, nowt wrong with that.

Compared with Roeder and Souness he is world class but compared with SBR he is average imo

Thats my opinion on him

Compared with Roeder and Souness he is world class but compared with SBR he is average imo

Thats my opinion on him

Even though he done better at Liverpool than Sir Bobby done here?

To be fair he never said he wasn't good enough, which he clearly is even to the most critical. Nowt wrong in wanting different things from a manager though. I have my reservations about Houllier but would welcome him with open arms, ideally he wouldn't be top of my list though.

He did in the subsequent post!

Should have been more precise: I wanted to point out that he does have a lot of quality as a manager and that a quarter final and a last 16 appearance following Le Guen's quarter final appearances is not really indicative of "ruin[ing]".

And the quarters last year. Agree about the heart attack thing (apart from the fact that it wasn't actually a heart attack). He was never the same for us. Hard to say how much it still affects him, though.

I don't understand the point of turning your nose up at steak and continuing to eat dog sh*t while holding out for caviar. Roeder's a mid-table manager at best and that's where you'll stay with him in charge. Houllier would have you as favourites to challenge the top 4 in a couple of seasons (depending on budget). I think a UEFA Cup wouldn't be unrealistic, either.

He'd sort out the training and medical facilities, too, and generally be FF's best hire since SBR. He has proven quality in the EPL, which Rafa still appears to be struggling with, and you'd be risking the same with any other foreign manager.

The first thing Houllier would do if he came here would be to sort our defence out, if he could get us somewhere close to the defensive unit he had at Liverpool we would be laughing, it could be argued that with everyone fit we already have better attacking players than he had at Liverpool (Gerrard apart) so with a solid back four there is no reason we should be pushing for a top 4 place with him in charge.

I've said before that he is the best manager we could realistically get and I'd be all for his appointment.

Guest king harry

Re rafas post - yes bascome is very close to the goings on of liverpool but i thought when houllier was in charge he was almost the officoal spokesman.  Honestly didnt know they didnt speak i thought they were best mates. As for Houllier he will take newcastle back to a top 5 team and probaly win a cup or two.

It seems unreal to you because this isn't your club, when the time comes for Liverpool to appoint a new manager, you will disect and over analyse every little detail to make your mind up about a manager, because you want what's best for your club and so do we, again nowt wrong with that. You're interpreting this kids' views the wrong way, that Houllier isn't good enough for NUFC, we demand better etc, when that isn't the case, the kid just wants to see his ideal manager at the club which obviously isn't Houllier, again, nowt wrong with that.

nothing wrong with him having an opinion of course, and I never said there was. Much wrong with what the kid said mind, but hey, if he is just a kid as you suggest, then I'll take it with a huge pinch of salt.

Everyone would love the best players and the best coaches whoever they support, many also realise that we can't have everything we'd love, therefore I'm sure you can understand my reaction when I read on here the snearing towards a good manager, and a proven manager and a winning manager.

I love Chris Bascombe. His match reports & articles are comic genius. Or he is just scarily deranged and deluded.

Either way, he's worth a laugh.

Guest evertoniansrmongs

I love Chris Bascombe. His match reports & articles are comic genius. Or he is just scarily deranged and deluded.

Either way, he's worth a laugh.

bit like evertonians