who would you switch to?

Guest Invicta_Toon

No one.

A few years ago a really close friend of mine died suddenly – someone I'd known for 20 years. As you do, I thought a lot about what he'd meant to me, and how he was basically irreplaceable. Leaving aside the fact that he was pretty unique character, even if I met another person like him it would be a further 20 years before I got to know that person so well.

OK, rambling a bit. But the point is that no other team could become the one that I grew up with, the one that was playing the first time I ever went to a football match, so long ago that I can barely remember the game.

There's nothing to switch to.

Great thread this  :lol:

Anyway, as unfathomable an idea as this is I wouldn't be able to just switch teams at the drop of the hat and support them with the same passion I support Newcastle, no way.

I'd be a neutral, and over time I would probably develop a soft spot for team and start supporting them. Impossible to tell now who that team would be, and even then it would take a long time before I were ever to support them with the same commitment as I do Newcastle.

Is this an acceptable answer?

If not I can draw teams from a hat and give a clearer and more concise answer?

Might be fun, actually.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Don't know why I bothered trying to explain this thread in 3 paraghraphs in the first post, it seems people just read the title

Don't know why I bothered trying to explain this thread in 3 paraghraphs in the first post, it seems people just read the title

Dunno why people are bothering to explain that it's not exactly an easy task for a lot of us to to just pick someone straight away, seeing as most of us have no connection to other teams, seems like you just assume we should all be able to do so... somehow.

I assume most people would eventually DEVELOP a liking for another team, but it's impossible to know now who that team is.

Come up with an answer yourself yet?

Liverpool, hypothetically. Would be difficult though, no doubt.

Gloryhunter.  ;)

I couldn't see myself picking a top club tbh. After years of suffering through Newcastle, it would seem so cheap to switch to a team who would likely win something within a year or two.

I just think they're a top-class outfit, and while I've seen numerous threads/posts mocking them on here that have been hard to disagree with, I wouldn't say "no" to watching a Champions' League semi-final against Chelsea at Anfield. I think most of us would deserve some glory in this disgusting hypothetical world that Vic has created in this thread.

It's be an evolutionary thing for most people I would imagin. You'd start to develop feelings of fondness for one/a number of clubs in particular over time before settling on one you preferred. I doubt very much whether it would change how much I cared about the national team - they're always playing at a time when NUFC aren't anyway, so my focus on them during those periods would be the same as ever.

EDIT: In other words, for most people who don't have a second club already, it'd be impossible to say now.

Luton Town, have a soft spot for them anyway. Don't think I would ever have the same passion though. Saying that when you have a first love you can never imagine loving another lass again either.

:lol:  Coming from the ultimate man-whore. :razz:

Missed this :D

Its true though, when you split from a lass you love you always go through the whole "oh she was soo perfect, will never love anyone like that again" then a few weeks later....

If NUFC fans started supporting Man U or Chelsea or Arsenal in mass (ie under these circumstance) those clubs would probably win f**k all for the next 40yrs too!!! :lol:

Hmm. Maybe we can come up with a cunning plan...

Yeah, 10,000 of us start supporting Manure, 10k support Chelski, 10k support Arsenal, 10k support Lpool, and the other 12k can keep us updated on whats going on at SJP and toon matches.

I would support Forfar Athletic, Swindon Town (because my grandad did), Liverpool (for a bit of glamour) and Hibernian (most local to where I live and not run by some dodgy Lithuanian gangsters) - none of them would come close to supporting the Toon, and it would be like having several girlfriends on the go, just having been bereaved of the love of your life.

Good enough?

Guest Gemmill

I would support Forfar Athletic, Swindon Town (because my grandad did), Liverpool (for a bit of glamour) and Hibernian (most local to where I live and not run by some dodgy Lithuanian gangsters) - none of them would come close to supporting the Toon, and it would be like having several girlfriends on the go, just having been bereaved of the love of your life.

Good enough?

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39197000/jpg/_39197353_victor_main_203.jpg

I simply don't believe it!

Guest redmayne

If NUFC fans started supporting Man U or Chelsea or Arsenal in mass (ie under these circumstance) those clubs would probably win f**k all for the next 40yrs too!!! :lol:

i now have a reason to support them all !!!

feel my pain you bitches.....

but most probably would take a sabbatical then move to milan and support any of the two teams

might get some decent togs while i'm there too

I'd take a fucking scientific approach. First, it's preferable to support a local team if only because it's easier to get to home matches. So I'd have to visit all the decent local teams to see which one give me the greatest buzz. I'll start to narrow down my choices. Eventually, I'll have pared the field down to the best available local team and support that.

Or possibly, I'd wait to see what team everyone else picked and support that. Sounds easier.