Anelka v Martins

Parky

As much as I hate always being right Anelka would have been the player we should have bought rather than the one dimensional Martins. Now they have the same amount of goals in the PL 11 each, Anelka is clearly the better all-round footballer IMO. He would have been much cheaper and is much better at bringing others in the game and has a much better touch. Probably moodier than Zoggy though. :lol:

Discuss.

martins is younger new to the league (anelka has had 3 stints in the prem now) and I can only see Anelka's valuation going down where as martins i can see at going up seen as he has not reached his peak. I feel that although martins needs to improve i would rather have him then the stroppy frenchman anyday

martins is younger new to the league (anelka has had 3 stints in the prem now) and I can only see Anelka's valuation going down where as martins i can see at going up seen as he has not reached his peak. I feel that although martins needs to improve i would rather have him then the stroppy frenchman anyday

Taking Owen into consideration we've bought the wrong striker. :rolleyes:

Guest teepee

how would you know how it feels to be right?  ;)

i would honestly prefer martins, both now and in the future. martins has got the talent and ability to score 20+ in the premiership - anelka will never get close to that.

how would you know how it feels to be right?  ;)

i would honestly prefer martins, both now and in the future. martins has got the talent and ability to score 20+ in the premiership - anelka will never get close to that.

Who's the last person to score 20+ in the PL? :lol:

Guest TheOrder

One dimensional striker? Left foot, right foot and a head?

Come back when he's played more than one season in english football, and had the oppurtunity to play in a decent team man.

I'm assuming that means you think them as a pair would not work? Even though we have not seen them play together? Just like an owen anelka partnership may not have worked, while i feel martins link up play is bad he is still young and to be on his own or with the very slow sibbers I don't feel it is right to be making these big leaps in judgement till we see them both play together till say xmas (that's if we hang on to both of them)

I would take Martins over Anelka anyday. Not saying he's much better than Anelka or anything but why would you want an older player with so much baggage rather than a player with shit loads of potential.

Guest Deep456

Anelka scored 4 in 20 while at Liverpool.

That is beacause he was substitute in half the games. Due to the emergance of Emile Heskey and Robbie Fowler.

That is beacause he was substitute in half the games. Due to the emergance of Emile Heskey and Robbie Fowler.

we are still talking about a very young injury free on fire owen and then none drame queen hungry anelka, both players have changed and even if it did on some level work "back in the day" they are like different players now and I still think a partnership may or may not work.

Guest Bramble OG

Martins younger and less hassle, Anelka will be on the move every other season,

If martins could take pens(or scored that one at everton) he probley would be on 20 goals all comps now(+pens at wigan,Portsmouth) - Cant ask for much more from a 22 year old.

Maybe for the short term (i.e. just this season) Anelka would have been [slightly] better for us, but for a number of reasons (not least resale value) I'm pleased that for the long term we got Oba.

Maybe for the short term (i.e. just this season) Anelka would have been [slightly] better for us, but for a number of reasons (not least resale value) I'm pleased that for the long term we got Oba.

Well I'm sure glad all these crystal balls are in full operation. :lol:

Robbie Fowler had already signed for Leeds when Anelka went there on loan iirc.

If martins could take pens(or scored that one at everton) he probley would be on 20 goals all comps now(+pens at wigan,Portsmouth) - Cant ask for much more from a 22 year old.

You think Martins will stay for more than 2 seasons?

I'm assuming that means you think them as a pair would not work? Even though we have not seen them play together? Just like an owen anelka partnership may not have worked, while i feel martins link up play is bad he is still young and to be on his own or with the very slow sibbers I don't feel it is right to be making these big leaps in judgement till we see them both play together till say xmas (that's if we hang on to both of them)

I'm guessing Shola and Owen will be a better partnership.

Guest Bramble OG

Even if you think he will move in the next 2 years - whos going to be worth more?

Yeah maybe anelka is a better team player but we hardly have world class players around him, but if you think Butt, Parker etc would have scored more goals with anelka in the team your clueless

I'm guessing Shola and Owen will be a better partnership.

parky what i mean is that none of these partnerships that your talking about have been tried and tested.

owen -shola

owen- martins

owen- carroll

martins-shola

shola-owen.

I just dont see why we need look at anelka as a missed signing as he has as many bad things going for him as good. I see the perferred strike partnership again guessing everyone stays and no big trophy striker comes in then it will be

owen - martins

will it be the next sir les and shearer partnership only time will tell.

Even if you think he will move in the next 2 years - whos going to be worth more?

Yeah maybe anelka is a better team player but we hardly have world class players around him, but if you think Butt, Parker etc would have scored more goals with anelka in the team your clueless

We're already £10m down on the deal. If we re-coup that (and I think we will) that's fine. But it worries me that people are talking about selling Martins at a huge profit and stuff already. Time will tell. This thread is just a timely reminder that Roeder hasn't really thought through the team building aspect of purchasing Martins...With Owen waiting in the wings, I would have thought we would have bought a different type of striker.