Anelka v Martins

Parky

Janitor,\

What a ridiculous example. A lithe and gifted olive munching Ronaldo is hardly lacking the basics. :laugh:

I said it was "obvious" :laugh:

You cannot surely tell me Obafemi Martins doesn't have similar potential (albeit at a couple of years older), though?

At times he looks fantastic on the ball, which shows that he does have the capabilities to have a regularly top-notch first-touch and also at times he can produce a fairly nifty pass/lay-off. This would also suggest to me a player who is not entirely lacking the basics! It's also what frustrates me so much about him. He clearly has all the required attributes/capabilities to excel in most aspects of the modern game, but it's just a matter of getting him to produce them on a regular basis. I know it might never happen, but it's certainly not beyond him.

You're undoutably correct in saying that Anelka is currently the more well-rounded player and that he has pedigree to back him up, but as others have pointed out Martins has years on him age-wise (although that's probably debatable!) and hasn't shown the attitude problems that Nic showed during his more formative years. At this current point in time I'm fairly happy that we've got the Little Nigerian ahead of him, although it would be delightful to have both.

aye, and players completely change their style as they get older - young mobile shearer skinning defenders and scoring long range goals and old shearer playing with his back to goal, using his elbows, laying it off for others and relying on opportunistic shots. Anelka at Arsenal was a very raw player, crap touch but shit loads of pace, dodgy finishing but quick enough instincts to be effective anyway, he was essentially quite similar to the 18 year old michael owen in that he was a goalscorer and nothing else. These days Anelka is a second-striker, a number 10 who works hard for the team, dropping deep to collect the ball and moving out wide, holding the ball and creating for others. He still gets a decent amount of goals but that's not his primary function.

Hopefully the same will be true for Martins, he's certainly young enough. As you've said, he has shown at times that his touch and movement can be exemplary. look at sheff utd when he took about 8 players on, using his immense strength and technique to keep them at bay, or his through ball for Butt at WHL, or at Bolton when he was dragging their central defenders all over the place. His problem is that he's only shown this sporadically and at other times his movement, vision and touch is crap. He's came from a league where holding your position, being disciplined and measured is more important than making runs and passing quickly, and even in the time he's been at the club he has improved significantly. i also think his confidence is another issue, a young foreigner who has only been on the fringes of the first-team elsewhere is now held up as the talisman for 52,000 fans, our only attacking hope and the heir to shearer and the only help he's had comes from a man who has the inspirational qualities of a slug.

A young Anelka had no touch!? :lol:

Wenger said of the afformentioned "no touch" Anelka that he thought he could be the best striker in the world. :lol:

He came through the French academy a poor lad from the bad side of Paris......In a head to head he shits all over Martins always will. Martins will NEVER be as good as Anelka. Just hasn't got the 'X' factor. You could see Anelka had another gear when Arsenal went to the Reebok this year.

I fully expect Martins to develop and he is well able to get goals, but he will never be imo as good as an Anelka or Henry or Drogba.

Yes, the young Anelka was very, very raw and his touch was pretty poor. just like michael owen, who went on to win european footballer of the year. or drogba, whose technique is still relatively crap. not really up for debate imo so we'll have to agree to disagree.

Janitor,\

What a ridiculous example. A lithe and gifted olive munching Ronaldo is hardly lacking the basics. :laugh:

You cannot surely tell me Obafemi Martins doesn't have similar potential (albeit at a couple of years older), though?

At times he looks fantastic on the ball, which shows that he does have the capabilities to have a regularly top-notch first-touch and also at times he can produce a fairly nifty pass/lay-off. This would also suggest to me a player who is not entirely lacking the basics! It's also what frustrates me so much about him. He clearly has all the required attributes/capabilities to excel in most aspects of the modern game, but it's just a matter of getting him to produce them on a regular basis. I know it might never happen, but it's certainly not beyond him.

You're undoutably correct in saying that Anelka is currently the more well-rounded player and that he has pedigree to back him up, but as others have pointed out Martins has years on him age-wise (although that's probably debatable!) and hasn't shown the attitude problems that Nic showed during his more formative years. At this current point in time I'm fairly happy that we've got the Little Nigerian ahead of him, although it would be delightful to have both.

aye, and players completely change their style as they get older - young mobile shearer skinning defenders and scoring long range goals and old shearer playing with his back to goal, using his elbows, laying it off for others and relying on opportunistic shots. Anelka at Arsenal was a very raw player, crap touch but shit loads of pace, dodgy finishing but quick enough instincts to be effective anyway, he was essentially quite similar to the 18 year old michael owen in that he was a goalscorer and nothing else. These days Anelka is a second-striker, a number 10 who works hard for the team, dropping deep to collect the ball and moving out wide, holding the ball and creating for others. He still gets a decent amount of goals but that's not his primary function.

Hopefully the same will be true for Martins, he's certainly young enough. As you've said, he has shown at times that his touch and movement can be exemplary. look at sheff utd when he took about 8 players on, using his immense strength and technique to keep them at bay, or his through ball for Butt at WHL, or at Bolton when he was dragging their central defenders all over the place. His problem is that he's only shown this sporadically and at other times his movement, vision and touch is crap. He's came from a league where holding your position, being disciplined and measured is more important than making runs and passing quickly, and even in the time he's been at the club he has improved significantly. i also think his confidence is another issue, a young foreigner who has only been on the fringes of the first-team elsewhere is now held up as the talisman for 52,000 fans, our only attacking hope and the heir to shearer and the only help he's had comes from a man who has the inspirational qualities of a slug.

Wenger said of the afformentioned "no touch" Anelka that he thought he could be the best striker in the world. :lol:

He came through the French academy a poor lad from the bad side of Paris......In a head to head he shits all over Martins always will. Martins will NEVER be as good as Anelka. Just hasn't got the 'X' factor. You could see Anelka had another gear when Arsenal went to the Reebok this year.

I fully expect Martins to develop and he is well able to get goals, but he will never be imo as good as an Anelka or Henry or Drogba.

Think you overrate Anelka a little. He is a good player but can't really be mentioned in the same sentence as Henry or Drogba. Would you say Bellamy was as good as Anelka because he was still very raw when we signed him.

I think Bellers is more instinctive than Nicolas, but not as good a finisher. His fiery Welsh temprament is priceless.

Janitor,\

Yes, the young Anelka was very, very raw and his touch was pretty poor. just like michael owen, who went on to win european footballer of the year. or drogba, whose technique is still relatively crap. not really up for debate imo so we'll have to agree to disagree.

Are we talking abou the same Anelka who was at Real at the age of 20 who cost 23m? :lol:

Janitor,\

Are we talking abou the same Anelka who was at Real at the age of 20 who cost 23m? :lol:

Yes we are, by then of course it had improved a bit. like i said, a good comparison is Owen, if Owen had moved at twenty, he probably would've cost more, and his control of the ball was not good at all.

AS9, aye, Drogba's technique is relatively crap when you compare him to other players at his level, how many times do you see him miscontrol badly? every game, but its his other qualities, strength pace and power, that really make him stand out.

Janitor,\

Doesn't really mean much, was Viana worth £8.5m?

Janitor,\

Doesn't really mean much, was Viana worth £8.5m?

:lol:

We're talking Real here. :cheesy:

Guest Sniffer

Anelka was a very good player but wasted most of his career in search of money. Like bernard, listened to bad advice.

Martins must be on the slide as he's now being compared to anelka. Few weeks ago it was who'd you rather have, martins or Rooney? mackems.gif        mackems.gif

Drogba was still playing in the French second division at Martins' age (12 goals in 64 for Le Mans until he was 24). At 24, the highlight of one Zinedine Zidane's career was an intertoto cup win when he transferred to Juventus for what can only be described as a modest fee.

But no, players don't get any better once they get past the age of about 7.

Never heard such shite.

Drogba was still playing in the French second division at Martins' age (12 goals in 64 for Le Mans until he was 24). At 24, the highlight of one Zinedine Zidane's career was an intertoto cup win when he transferred to Juventus for what can only be described as a modest fee.

But no, players don't get any better once they get past the age of about 7.

Never heard such shite.

What shite?

Did you remember clearly at Anelka by that time at Arsenal...when he running with sheer pace through the left flank alone and hardly any defender can catch him... then bang! scores... 1 word i can say...sublime... his touch nearly as good as ronaldo. Even by that time arsenal fans more rate Anelka than henry tbh. But shit attitude from wrong people who aid him... made him moaning & lazy. After that the true of him is vanished...

Did you remember clearly at Anelka by that time at Arsenal...when he running with sheer pace through the left flank alone and hardly any defender can catch him... then bang! scores... 1 word i can say...sublime... his touch nearly as good as ronaldo. Even by that time arsenal fans more rate Anelka than henry tbh. But shit attitude from wrong people who aid him... made him moaning & lazy. After that the true of him is vanished...

Anelka and Henry were at the academy together and I believe they are still friends, as natural talent goes goes they had nearly everything to begin with and were just waiting for good coaching. Drogba was a late developer but in some ways I rate him more dangerous than the other two cause he has a much greater will to win and good skills (not quite in the Henry/Anelka league). Martins has little more than frightening pace and a hard shot which is very very wayward ( something like 36% on target iirc). He has barely no first touch and shiite postion sense. He will develop of course he will and I hope he does, but he doesn't have 'it'.

Martin for me is more advanced defoe... good at heading also. Martin just need perfect partner after that you'll see how good martin is. Martin must find partner which like del piero and inzaghi partnership at juve. 1 good poacher & 1 skillful striker.

Martin for me is more advanced defoe... good at heading also. Martin just need perfect partner after that you'll see how good martin is. Martin must find partner which like del piero and inzaghi partnership at juve. 1 good poacher & 1 skillful striker.

Good point. Martins WILL be better with the right partner.

He's been leading the line on his todd for the whole season in a low scoring team and gets 17 goals. Anelka has been playing in a settled, successful and higher scoring side and has not scored as many in total as Martins.

Martins > Anelka as a purchase for NUFC at the end of the summer of 2006. Fact.

Did you remember clearly at Anelka by that time at Arsenal...when he running with sheer pace through the left flank alone and hardly any defender can catch him... then bang! scores... 1 word i can say...sublime... his touch nearly as good as ronaldo. Even by that time arsenal fans more rate Anelka than henry tbh. But s*** attitude from wrong people who aid him... made him moaning & lazy. After that the true of him is vanished...

Anelka and Henry were at the academy together and I believe they are still friends, as natural talent goes goes they had nearly everything to begin with and were just waiting for good coaching. Drogba was a late developer but in some ways I rate him more dangerous than the other two cause he has a much greater will to win and good skills (not quite in the Henry/Anelka league). Martins has little more than frightening pace and a hard shot which is very very wayward ( something like 36% on target iirc). He has barely no first touch and shiite postion sense. He will develop of course he will and I hope he does, but he doesn't have 'it'.

What academy?

Why did you ask?

I wrote an article about him for another site a year or so ago.....Still remember a fair bit from that.

I just wondered what academy you were talking about that's all, the Clairefontaine academy is known throughout the World although I wasn't aware Henry and Anelka were there at the same time as Henry was snapped up very young by Monaco, Houllier took a lot of credit for the place iirc when he was technical director of the French fa.

As for Anelka, he was a huge talent as a kid but has never reached the potential he showed when he was at Arsenal, if he had stayed there then he could well of went on to be one of the best strikers in the World but a poor attitude and dodgy brothersagents made sure he never got anywhere close to that, similar to Cassano he'll be remembered as someone who wasted his talent.

Why did you ask?

I wrote an article about him for another site a year or so ago.....Still remember a fair bit from that.

I just wondered what academy you were talking about that's all, the Clairefontaine academy is known throughout the World although I wasn't aware Henry and Anelka were there at the same time as Henry was snapped up very young by Monaco, Houllier took a lot of credit for the place iirc when he was technical director of the French fa.

As for Anelka, he was a huge talent as a kid but has never reached the potential he showed when he was at Arsenal, if he had stayed there then he could well of went on to be one of the best strikers in the World but a poor attitude and dodgy brothersagents made sure he never got anywhere close to that, similar to Cassano he'll be remembered as someone who wasted his talent.

Agree with some of that. But I think he is ready for his last throw of the dice (striker like Anelka is peaking now). And despite his brothers he is mentally now where he perhaps should have been 4/5 years ago, Sam has been very happy with his attitude. In the right side very dangerous.

It is really a shame in some ways, coming from a very poor background money has rather taken over, but who's to say we'd be any different.

The time in Turkey was a silly mistake.

Why did you ask?

Agree with some of that. But I think he is ready for his last throw of the dice (striker like Anelka is peaking now). And despite his brothers he is mentally now where he perhaps should have been 4/5 years ago, Sam has been very happy with his attitude. In the right side very dangerous.

It is really a shame in some ways, coming from a very poor background money has rather taken over, but who's to say we'd be any different.

Fat Sam says he's happy with his attitude but didn't Anelka say a month or so back that if a CL team came in for him he'd leave? That's not really the sort of thing you want to hear from your record signing a few months after signing him, even if he thinks it it should remain private.

I also don't agree with your assessment that Anelka is a better player now that he is playing as a withdrawn striker, having watched him at Man City I always found him a far deadlier player at the tip of a 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation, he got pushed out onto the right of a front 3 at Fenerbache and struggled in that position, he's done better at Bolton but not anywhere near as well as he played at Man City IMO.

Why did you ask?

Fat Sam says he's happy with his attitude but didn't Anelka say a month or so back that if a CL team came in for him he'd leave? That's not really the sort of thing you want to hear from your record signing a few months after signing him, even if he thinks it it should remain private.

I also don't agree with your assessment that Anelka is a better player now that he is playing as a withdrawn striker, having watched him at Man City I always found him a far deadlier player at the tip of a 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation, he got pushed out onto the right of a front 3 at Fenerbache and struggled in that position, he's done better at Bolton but not anywhere near as well as he played at Man City IMO.

No I'd agree with that he was a better striker at Man City in the 451. I think he is more dangerous now because of his IMO better all round game and at home to Arsenal and as a gesture to Wenger he showed he still has that 'other' gear. I would really love him to get 3/4 years back in front of really appreciative supporters. I find him far more fascinating a character than that poodle Henry. :lol: