Anelka v Martins

Parky

Maybe for the short term (i.e. just this season) Anelka would have been [slightly] better for us, but for a number of reasons (not least resale value) I'm pleased that for the long term we got Oba.

Well I'm sure glad all these crystal balls are in full operation. :lol:

I'm not sure what point you're getting at unless this is an "I told you so" type of thread, Anelka has scored the same amount as Oba in the league and has the same amount of assists yet Anelka plays in a better team with a far better manager, would Anelka have scored 17 goals this season if he came here to play in this shower of shite and to be partnered with Sibierski?

I very much doubt it, in fact he'd probably be sulking to the French press at the amount of the long balls he's expected to get on to the end off.

You also have to take into account it being Oba's first season and the transition time it'll take him to get up to speed with the Premiership, you only have to look at the likes of Drogba and Essien as two other African players who took time to adjust to the Premiership yet in the second season they were on fire, I'm hoping the same will happen with Oba (fingers crossed)

I'm not knocking Anelka as I think he's a good player, but I don't think he would of improved us or scored as many as Oba has for us this season, I also doubt he'd still be here next season if he had had a season like this one with us, he's a journeyman and because of that you could never build a team around him.

owen -shola

shola-owen.

Id guess both those partnerships would be pritty much the same :)

nope one is playing on the left and the other on the right and vice versa .... ok its the best i have sinse ive made myself look stupid

Rather have Shola than Anelka never mind Martins!!!

Next season we need to try:

Martins Owen

or

Owen Ameobi/Carroll

or

Martins Ameobi/Carroll

If Dyer ever comes good again we could even try him again too!!

Guest Bramble OG

Martins younger and less hassle, Anelka will be on the move every other season,

If martins could take pens(or scored that one at everton) he probley would be on 20 goals all comps now(+pens at wigan,Portsmouth) - Cant ask for much more from a 22 year old.

You think Martins will stay for more than 2 seasons?

Even if you think he will move in the next 2 years - whos going to be worth more?

Yeah maybe anelka is a better team player but we hardly have world class players around him, but if you think Butt, Parker etc would have scored more goals with anelka in the team your clueless

We're already £10m down on the deal. If we re-coup that (and I think we will) that's fine. But it worries me that people are talking about selling Martins at a huge profit and stuff already. Time will tell. This thread is just a timely reminder that Roeder hasn't really thought through the team building aspect of purchasing Martins...With Owen waiting in the wings, I would have thought we would have bought a different type of striker.

Sell Martins in a couple of years - if he stays pritty much the same still worth 10m

Sell Anelka in a couple of years - worth no were near the 8m he would have cost.

I agree Anelka's a good player - would have been a good signing when we shipped Bellamy off to Celtic.

If we had signed Anelka and Martins had had the season he's had with us and another premiership club, people would be going crazing saying we should have signed Martins not anelka.

i really think martins and owen can play together well, im not even so sure why. Probably Martins' decent aerial ability and tendancy to come deep to get the ball at times... We still need a team able to create chances though :'(

and yeah, Martins over Anelka anyday.

They're very different players, but I'd definitely take a swap. Anelka would offer us something different whereas Martins and Owen are fairly similar.

Yes, there's a question mark over Anelka's temperament, but I'd take the risk.

The only thing similar between Owen and Martins is they are short!

Owen is an instinct predator type player who uses his intelligence to get into goalscoring positions. Martins is all about pace and power. He will drop deep, hang around the edge of the area or try and beat a player and work himself into enough space to have a shot.

I doubt Anelka would have done any more than Martins in this team except maybe lay a few more balls off to players who cant finish. As others have said he is a fair bit older and is as good as he will likely get in this league given his previous experience. His value will also drop as the seasons go by.

Can't really see how the "I told you so" has been proved right.

The idea scares the shit out of me, but he is being linked to Spurs as well. 

I don't like being reminded that it was Comolli who brought him to England in the first place either.  Personally, whilst I can appreciate his talent, I can't stand the bloke or his attitude.

Anelka's all round game is miles better than Martins'. His touch, control, vision, movement - hes quite simply the better player, and easily so.

Martins has youth and potential on his side, so he may turn out to be the better player in the longer run.

I think theyd be a strong partnership together. And with regards to the "vs", it should be Anelka vs Owen, because thats when we were closest to signing him under Souness and his vision for 4-3-3, when we ended up with Owen and a 4-4-2 system Souness clearly never favoured. We should have signed Anelka, big mistake to go for Owen.

Maybe for the short term (i.e. just this season) Anelka would have been [slightly] better for us, but for a number of reasons (not least resale value) I'm pleased that for the long term we got Oba.

Well I'm sure glad all these crystal balls are in full operation. :lol:

How else can you judge a players potential? Gary Speed's done a better job for Bolton than Denilson has for Arsenal this season, but who would you rather we had signed at the start of the season?

Also, you'll note that, unlike you, I didn't claim to be right. I just said there were a number of reasons why I was glad we'd signed Martins over Anelka despite Anelka (arguably, at best) having a slightly better year this year.

Anelka - great player, and better than Martins at the moment.

BUT

/ He wouldn't have fitted in with our playing style

/ He wouldn't have fitted in at the club in general, we're far too mediocre for him

/ He would have got fed up for the above reasons and more - he was 'bored' at Fenerbahce for crying out loud

/ He's an utter cunt

/ He's never been prolific particularly prolific, his career goalscoring record is pretty shite for a 'world class' striker

/ He's already hit his peak, Martins is yet to achieve it

Who would i rather have? Beyond argument.

Guest WalkervilleMag

one thing Martins is not is a Target Man. Unfourtantly 90% of this season he has been forced to play up front by himself, having to try and knock on long balls.

Would take oba every time, I was gutted when we were being linked with Anelka, yeah okay in his younger days he was a great talent but now he is just an alright player with his best days behind him.

Oba is a great young talent that I am sure will go on to have a top career, without being a massive problem like Anelka has been throughout his career.

if he stop being moaning & lazy prick

he's not.

yes he is

Indeed. Hes lazy and sulky because the tabloids say he is, as well as everyone else. His face shows it too, rarely smiles and has that arrogant nose.

Of course, his performances suggest hes the opposite, but they obviously count for nothing.

if he stop being moaning & lazy prick

he's not.

yes he is

Indeed. Hes lazy and sulky because the tabloids say he is, as well as everyone else. His face shows it too, rarely smiles and has that arrogant nose.

Of course, his performances suggest hes the opposite, but they obviously count for nothing.

....yeah he's such a lazy moany prick he has been brought back into the French squad. :rolleyes:

Anelka is 10 times the player Martin will EVER be.

Anelka's all round game is miles better than Martins'. His touch, control, vision, movement - hes quite simply the better player, and easily so.

Martins has youth and potential on his side, so he may turn out to be the better player in the longer run.

I think theyd be a strong partnership together. And with regards to the "vs", it should be Anelka vs Owen, because thats when we were closest to signing him under Souness and his vision for 4-3-3, when we ended up with Owen and a 4-4-2 system Souness clearly never favoured. We should have signed Anelka, big mistake to go for Owen.

Some very good points.

Aye, of course he is. :lol:

Didn't you say Ryan Babel was better than Martins too? Hows he doing this season?

:lol:

I'd have Ian Wright over Luther Blisset.......

Didn't you say Ryan Babel was better than Martins too? Hows he doing this season?

I'd have Messi over Ronaldo.....

I'd have Messi over Ronaldo.....

I'd have Jolie over a desk...