Anelka v Martins

Parky

Anelka is 10 times the player Martin will EVER be.

Aye, of course he is. :lol:

Didn't you say Ryan Babel was better than Martins too? Hows he doing this season?

:lol:

I'd have Ian Wright over Luther Blisset.......

I'd have Messi over Ronaldo.....

I'd have Jolie over a desk...

I've had Parky over a desk....

Didn't you say Ryan Babel was better than Martins too? Hows he doing this season?

:blush:

:blush:

You weren't blushing at the time lad.

come on.... every people who saw that boy at arsenal could be the best striker in the world if he is not moaning & being lazy prick at first place... he got the talent but if he cannot use it what we can else we can say if he not fucking lazy... about he is being picked again at French squad... but did he got the first team??... not i guess ... he just the spare part for them. real fucking waste of talent tbh.

It does strike me that Anelka's biggest critics know very little about him.

Anelka is a very good player and I would love him here WITH Martins but out of the two I think I would rather have Oba. Some of the claims in this thread are a little bit silly.

Guest teepee

It does strike me that Anelka's biggest critics know very little about him.

whereas your accurate statement that he is TEN times the player martins will ever be shows your great knowledge about him (and probably football in general) :D

You can't coach a first touch or vision into a player.

This comment is wide of the mark.

I'll cite Cristiano Ronaldo as an obvious example of what good coaching can do for somebody's "vision". Obviously the ability needs to be in there somewhere to begin with (like most footballing attributes), but it's certainly something that can be improved. As for coaching a first touch, it's an elementary part of technical coaching and I'm fairly certain it's another thing that can be greatly improved with the right methods and the right staff. It's quite possibly one of the most basic things to enhance, as well, because of the simple technical aspect of it.

Janitor,\

What a ridiculous example. A lithe and gifted olive munching Ronaldo is hardly lacking the basics. :laugh:

I said it was "obvious" :laugh:

You cannot surely tell me Obafemi Martins doesn't have similar potential (albeit at a couple of years older), though?

At times he looks fantastic on the ball, which shows that he does have the capabilities to have a regularly top-notch first-touch and also at times he can produce a fairly nifty pass/lay-off. This would also suggest to me a player who is not entirely lacking the basics! It's also what frustrates me so much about him. He clearly has all the required attributes/capabilities to excel in most aspects of the modern game, but it's just a matter of getting him to produce them on a regular basis. I know it might never happen, but it's certainly not beyond him.

You're undoutably correct in saying that Anelka is currently the more well-rounded player and that he has pedigree to back him up, but as others have pointed out Martins has years on him age-wise (although that's probably debatable!) and hasn't shown the attitude problems that Nic showed during his more formative years. At this current point in time I'm fairly happy that we've got the Little Nigerian ahead of him, although it would be delightful to have both.

Janitor,\

What a ridiculous example. A lithe and gifted olive munching Ronaldo is hardly lacking the basics. :laugh:

You cannot surely tell me Obafemi Martins doesn't have similar potential (albeit at a couple of years older), though?

At times he looks fantastic on the ball, which shows that he does have the capabilities to have a regularly top-notch first-touch and also at times he can produce a fairly nifty pass/lay-off. This would also suggest to me a player who is not entirely lacking the basics! It's also what frustrates me so much about him. He clearly has all the required attributes/capabilities to excel in most aspects of the modern game, but it's just a matter of getting him to produce them on a regular basis. I know it might never happen, but it's certainly not beyond him.

You're undoutably correct in saying that Anelka is currently the more well-rounded player and that he has pedigree to back him up, but as others have pointed out Martins has years on him age-wise (although that's probably debatable!) and hasn't shown the attitude problems that Nic showed during his more formative years. At this current point in time I'm fairly happy that we've got the Little Nigerian ahead of him, although it would be delightful to have both.

aye, and players completely change their style as they get older - young mobile shearer skinning defenders and scoring long range goals and old shearer playing with his back to goal, using his elbows, laying it off for others and relying on opportunistic shots. Anelka at Arsenal was a very raw player, crap touch but shit loads of pace, dodgy finishing but quick enough instincts to be effective anyway, he was essentially quite similar to the 18 year old michael owen in that he was a goalscorer and nothing else. These days Anelka is a second-striker, a number 10 who works hard for the team, dropping deep to collect the ball and moving out wide, holding the ball and creating for others. He still gets a decent amount of goals but that's not his primary function.

Hopefully the same will be true for Martins, he's certainly young enough. As you've said, he has shown at times that his touch and movement can be exemplary. look at sheff utd when he took about 8 players on, using his immense strength and technique to keep them at bay, or his through ball for Butt at WHL, or at Bolton when he was dragging their central defenders all over the place. His problem is that he's only shown this sporadically and at other times his movement, vision and touch is crap. He's came from a league where holding your position, being disciplined and measured is more important than making runs and passing quickly, and even in the time he's been at the club he has improved significantly. i also think his confidence is another issue, a young foreigner who has only been on the fringes of the first-team elsewhere is now held up as the talisman for 52,000 fans, our only attacking hope and the heir to shearer and the only help he's had comes from a man who has the inspirational qualities of a slug.

Janitor,\

aye, and players completely change their style as they get older - young mobile shearer skinning defenders and scoring long range goals and old shearer playing with his back to goal, using his elbows, laying it off for others and relying on opportunistic shots. Anelka at Arsenal was a very raw player, crap touch but shit loads of pace, dodgy finishing but quick enough instincts to be effective anyway, he was essentially quite similar to the 18 year old michael owen in that he was a goalscorer and nothing else. These days Anelka is a second-striker, a number 10 who works hard for the team, dropping deep to collect the ball and moving out wide, holding the ball and creating for others. He still gets a decent amount of goals but that's not his primary function.

Hopefully the same will be true for Martins, he's certainly young enough. As you've said, he has shown at times that his touch and movement can be exemplary. look at sheff utd when he took about 8 players on, using his immense strength and technique to keep them at bay, or his through ball for Butt at WHL, or at Bolton when he was dragging their central defenders all over the place. His problem is that he's only shown this sporadically and at other times his movement, vision and touch is crap. He's came from a league where holding your position, being disciplined and measured is more important than making runs and passing quickly, and even in the time he's been at the club he has improved significantly. i also think his confidence is another issue, a young foreigner who has only been on the fringes of the first-team elsewhere is now held up as the talisman for 52,000 fans, our only attacking hope and the heir to shearer and the only help he's had comes from a man who has the inspirational qualities of a slug.

A young Anelka had no touch!? :lol:

Wenger said of the afformentioned "no touch" Anelka that he thought he could be the best striker in the world. :lol:

He came through the French academy a poor lad from the bad side of Paris......In a head to head he shits all over Martins always will. Martins will NEVER be as good as Anelka. Just hasn't got the 'X' factor. You could see Anelka had another gear when Arsenal went to the Reebok this year.

I fully expect Martins to develop and he is well able to get goals, but he will never be imo as good as an Anelka or Henry or Drogba.

Janitor,\

A young Anelka had no touch!? :lol:

Wenger said of the afformentioned "no touch" Anelka that he thought he could be the best striker in the world. :lol:

He came through the French academy a poor lad from the bad side of Paris......In a head to head he shits all over Martins always will. Martins will NEVER be as good as Anelka. Just hasn't got the 'X' factor. You could see Anelka had another gear when Arsenal went to the Reebok this year.

I fully expect Martins to develop and he is well able to get goals, but he will never be imo as good as an Anelka or Henry or Drogba.

Think you overrate Anelka a little. He is a good player but can't really be mentioned in the same sentence as Henry or Drogba. Would you say Bellamy was as good as Anelka because he was still very raw when we signed him.