Bramble back for Chelsea

Rich

If there was any hope of Bramble turning into a half-intelligent defender in the future, learning to use his brain as opposed to ball watching and making wild idiot swings with his club-like feet at the ball, then it would be worth handing him a new contract and loaning him out to a newly promoted Premiership side where he would be a guaranteed starter and would get more breathing space to iron out his mistakes and get some consistency going.

But weve been living in this hope for ages now. Hes always going to ball watch, will always make daft choices, and will always dive in. Hes good when his mistakes arent costing us, but hes not so good that we cant replace him, or shouldnt look to replace him. This is Titus Bramble, not Woodgate or Toure or someone of that calibre suffering from concentration and other defensive mental problems. We should just get rid, bring in someone half decent, and move on. Dont see why we should bother putting up the same mistakes year in year out any more - even if he goes on to sort out his problems later on in his career with someone else, it still wont be worth crying over spilt milk - weve let significantly better players go to other clubs in the past.

Let him go and move on.

he is ten times the player Huntington or Ramage is. Moore and Gooch are going (and rightfully so)

makes no sense whatsoever to let him go when the geniunely bad defenders (baba carr et) are still here

Not that simple though, he's out of contract and we've pissed him about. I take your point but rewarding him with a new contract isn't the way forward. If he'd take a two year deal on less cash then it's a different matter but why would he do that when he's likely to get a better deal on a Bosman.

I think he would. He isn`t a money grabber tbh. He likes playing for NUFC. Its not always about money with some players.

Mate, he's shit 80% of the time.  Once in a blue moon we get a decent performance out of him.  I'm sure he loves playing for NUFC, because he probably knows that his next move will be downwards....and the one after that etc.   I know you're pally with him, but it's plainly obvious that we need to get rid of him and others if we are EVER going to improve our defence to one that can perform well consistently.  No one can say that Titus Bramble hasn't been given a fair crack of the whip at NUFC, but he's failed to prove himself and he needs to go.  And that applies whether there are players ahead of him in the queue to leave or not.

If you read my earlier posts I agree but if hes shit 80% of the time all the other cbs are shit 100% of the time. They do have age on their side though were as Titus hasn`t. Like I said earlier if he is going then we need imo 4 cbs of better quality.  I feel with 2 quality CBs brought in and Bramble and Taylor as squad players then it will be ok. If you personally think Ramage Moore and Gooch are better CBs you need your head checking out. Moore and Gooch are going anyway. Huntington needs are year of Sub apperances being in around the team. Taylor will hopefully come good this year.

If there was any hope of Bramble turning into a half-intelligent defender in the future, learning to use his brain as opposed to ball watching and making wild idiot swings with his club-like feet at the ball, then it would be worth handing him a new contract and loaning him out to a newly promoted Premiership side where he would be a guaranteed starter and would get more breathing space to iron out his mistakes and get some consistency going.

But weve been living in this hope for ages now. Hes always going to ball watch, will always make daft choices, and will always dive in. Hes good when his mistakes arent costing us, but hes not so good that we cant replace him, or shouldnt look to replace him. This is Titus Bramble, not Woodgate or Toure or someone of that calibre suffering from concentration and other defensive mental problems. We should just get rid, bring in someone half decent, and move on. Dont see why we should bother putting up the same mistakes year in year out any more - even if he goes on to sort out his problems later on in his career with someone else, it still wont be worth crying over spilt milk - weve let significantly better players go to other clubs in the past.

Let him go and move on.

Ok let him go along with Gooch, Moore, Carr , Baba, Edgar ( Loan ) Hunty ( Loan ) , Zoggy, Dyer ( If the rumours are right ) , Luque. Clever people you lot up north aren`t you.  Considering our injury history and paper thin squad anyway.

Guest Gemmill

I didn't say that anyone else is better than him, although the majority of them haven't been given anywhere near the number of games that Bramble has to prove whether they are any good or not - you're making some snap judgements there, certainly with the likes of Gooch, who we haven't seen nearly enough of in a settled back 4 to know one way or the other how good he is. 

Bramble has proven over a number of years now that he is not good enough to play Premiership football.  He can't perform consistently well at this level, and for that reason he should be disposed of.  Squad players are supposed to be people you can rely on to do a job when your first choices are injured - we KNOW that Bramble can't be relied on to do a job the vast majority of the time, so why would we want him as a squad player?  The concept of building a squad is not to have a good first team and then a collection of second-raters who you really don't want to have to play if it is at all avoidable. 

This summer represents the perfect time to part ways with Bramble - he's out of contract, and we can finally wash our hands of him.  That's exactly what we should do.

Guest Gemmill

Let him go and move on.

Ok let him go along with Gooch, Moore, Carr , Baba, Edgar ( Loan ) Hunty ( Loan ) , Zoggy, Dyer ( If the rumours are right ) , Luque. Clever people you lot up north aren`t you.  Considering our injury history and paper thin squad anyway.

Good idea, having a go at people from the North on a Newcastle message board.  Especially when you're from fucking Suffolk. :lol: :razz:

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

Hurts all the more when you know he can play like he did yesterday, but then you know we will only get that kind of performance once every 5 or 6 games.

to be honest, before the Alkmaar (a) game, he'd given good performances 5 times in a row

Decent enough paerformances yes, maybe. but yesterday he was outstanding..

How can he be outstanding when he made two big errors in the first half and very nearly costs us a goal twice when he let kalou run past him!! Just because he made two hard tackles which get the crowd going he has played outstanding.....I dont get it!

And you think that wouldn't have happened if that was Taylor with Kalou ? Kalou is a handful, he is quick and has bags of trickery...Not many defenders are that fast to stop such players...

If Kalou had run past Taylor like he did with Bramble I wouldnt have said that Taylor played outstanding but appearently he didnt. And btw dont involve Taylor in here. You cant use his abilities to define weather or not Bramble was outstanding! When you are outstanding you dont make mistakes which you cant say about Bramble on sunday - end of story!

I didn't say that anyone else is better than him, although the majority of them haven't been given anywhere near the number of games that Bramble has to prove whether they are any good or not - you're making some snap judgements there, certainly with the likes of Gooch, who we haven't seen nearly enough of in a settled back 4 to know one way or the other how good he is. 

Bramble has proven over a number of years now that he is not good enough to play Premiership football.  He can't perform consistently well at this level, and for that reason he should be disposed of.  Squad players are supposed to be people you can rely on to do a job when your first choices are injured - we KNOW that Bramble can't be relied on to do a job the vast majority of the time, so why would we want him as a squad player?  The concept of building a squad is not to have a good first team and then a collection of second-raters who you really don't want to have to play if it is at all avoidable. 

This summer represents the perfect time to part ways with Bramble - he's out of contract, and we can finally wash our hands of him.  That's exactly what we should do.

The only time Bramble looked any good was when he played consistantly with Woody. He has been in the same situation for 4 years you state hasn`t helped Gooch with the ever changing back 4.   Playing alongside OB and Boumsong, give me a break.  Your point about squad players makes me beleive you want to change every single defender at the club. The main back 4 and a back up back 4.  Thats 8 defenders, dream on.

Guest Gemmill

The only time Bramble looked any good was when he played consistantly with Woody. He has been in the same situation for 4 years you state hasn`t helped Gooch with the ever changing back 4.   Playing alongside OB and Boumsong, give me a break.  Your point about squad players makes me beleive you want to change every single defender at the club. The main back 4 and a back up back 4.  Thats 8 defenders, dream on.

What exactly is your argument?  That Bramble is fucking shit, but we should keep him anyway because it'll be too big a job to replace our entire defense.  That's a pretty weak argument for keeping a player who is out of contract imo.

Let him go and move on.

Good idea, having a go at people from the North on a Newcastle message board.  Especially when you're from fucking Suffolk. :lol: :razz:

:lol:   Whats the record amount of players a Team in the Premiership have ever brought in, in 1 summer ?  Do you agree that our squad is paper thin ?  Do you agree that or finances aren`t exactly great ? Do you agree its harder to bring in players than some people think ?

I mean ffs I would rather put up with Bramble than see Carr and Ramage in the team ever again . We pay Baba to sit our injured 90% of the season. Moore is going, so is Gooch. What other conclusion can I draw to if you also think we should let Bramble go as well.

is there a defender in the world who would respond well to playing alongside the following:

Nicos Dabizas

Andy O'Brien

JA Boumsong

Andy Griffin

Aaron Hughes

Stephen Carr

Celestine Babayaro

Peter Ramage

Craig Moore

19 yo Paul Huntington

the list reads like a who's who of either completely s*** or cannot be bothered defenders

is there a defender in the world who would respond well to playing alongside the following:

Nicos Dabizas

Andy O'Brien

JA Boumsong

Andy Griffin

Aaron Hughes

Stephen Carr

Celestine Babayaro

Peter Ramage

Craig Moore

19 yo Paul Huntington

the list reads like a who's who of either completely s*** or cannot be bothered defenders

Or indeed Titus Bramble?

Hate to say it, and this is not kneejerk after his performance on Sunday, but with the right partner he could be very good.

I fully accept he's not proved himself to be either reliable or consistent in his time here but it would be gauling to see him go to a Portsmouth or Bolton and make a solid partnership with either Meite or Sol Campbell. He has all the attribrutes to be a good player its his concentration that lets him down.

I'd like to see him get a two year contract with a commitment from the club that we'll sign a more experienced Centre Half to play alongside him/taylor.

Puts tin hat on............................

Hurts all the more when you know he can play like he did yesterday, but then you know we will only get that kind of performance once every 5 or 6 games.

to be honest, before the Alkmaar (a) game, he'd given good performances 5 times in a row

How can he be outstanding when he made two big errors in the first half and very nearly costs us a goal twice when he let kalou run past him!! Just because he made two hard tackles which get the crowd going he has played outstanding.....I dont get it!

And you think that wouldn't have happened if that was Taylor with Kalou ? Kalou is a handful, he is quick and has bags of trickery...Not many defenders are that fast to stop such players...

If Kalou had run past Taylor like he did with Bramble I wouldnt have said that Taylor played outstanding but appearently he didnt. And btw dont involve Taylor in here. You cant use his abilities to define weather or not Bramble was outstanding! When you are outstanding you dont make mistakes which you cant say about Bramble on sunday - end of story!

Bramble wasn't outstanding neither was Taylor...and Taylor would have been even less than that had Kalou skinned Taylor instead of Bramble...

My point is Bramble is NOT worse than any of our other defenders. On the contrary he is actually better than all of them except Taylor...

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

Bramble wasn't outstanding neither was Taylor...and Taylor would have been even less than that had Kalou skinned Taylor instead of Bramble...

My point is Bramble is NOT worse than any of our other defenders. On the contrary he is actually better than all of them except Taylor...

Then we DO agree. My point was simply that Bramble wasnt outstanding against Chelsea ;)

Bramble probably has more good games than he does bad the problem is we need someone who has a lot less bad games. Another problem is when Bramble has a bad game, he has a f*cking shocking game.

We need someone who even when not at their best they put in an average performance. As some have said he would be good as back up but he is on first team wages so unless he takes a big drop then its probably not worth keeping him, that said I am not confident Roeder will bring in anyone better.

Then we DO agree. My point was simply that Bramble wasnt outstanding against Chelsea ;)

We were I think, the 3rd team all season not to conceed against Chelsea.  Did Harper even have a save to make ?

Guest Gemmill

Can't believe how many people are suddenly trying to bum that massive mong tbh.  New contract my arse.  Fuck him off elsewhere sharpish.

Guest Kenton Magpie

It's the usual end of season display against Chelsea, offer him a new contract because he put in a few good tackles.

He was not outstanding on Saturday, he put in a solid display something which he has been unable to do consistently since he signed.

Offering him a new contract will be a sad indictment on how far Newcastle United has actually gone back for me

Nicos Dabizas

Andy O'Brien

JA Boumsong

Andy Griffin

Aaron Hughes

Stephen Carr

Celestine Babayaro

Peter Ramage

Craig Moore

19 yo Paul Huntington

They might not be as good as Bramble (I would argue that a couple are/were better) but none of them have the potential to drop a bollock from nowhere the way Titus does. I've never seen as inconsistent defender.

Nicos Dabizas

Andy O'Brien

JA Boumsong

Andy Griffin

Aaron Hughes

Stephen Carr

Celestine Babayaro

Peter Ramage

Craig Moore

19 yo Paul Huntington

They might not be as good as Bramble (I would argue that a couple are/were better) but none of them have the potential to drop a bollock from nowhere the way Titus does. I've never seen as inconsistent defender.

When Woody was there he covered for the odd bollock. The same with most clubs, they have Defenders in and out of form, the key being the other CB  is good enough to anticipate something going wrong weather it does or not and like wise the other way round when the other miscalculates a pass etc.  I have seen this happen watching the top 4 sides.  In most football matches the RB or LB would come round the back and cover but we havn`t had that for some years.

Guest Jonny4Toon

Taylor carried Bramble against Chelsea. Taylor = solid future England material, Bramble = Championship styles, mistake making muppet who should have been gone 4 seasons ago

Taylor carried Bramble against Chelsea. Taylor = solid future England material, Bramble = Championship styles, mistake making muppet who should have been gone 4 seasons ago

what bollocks,it's fair enough not to rate someonebut lying to try and prove a point is going too far.

Let him go and move on.

Ok let him go along with Gooch, Moore, Carr , Baba, Edgar ( Loan ) Hunty ( Loan ) , Zoggy, Dyer ( If the rumours are right ) , Luque. Clever people you lot up north aren`t you. Considering our injury history and paper thin squad anyway.

Even more reason to get rid of Bramble and replace with someone more reliable. If you have a thin squad, you dont want to be drafting clowns into the team surely.

Reckon we could replace Gooch, Moore and Bramble with one competent entreback with a track record of staying fit, and we wouldnt suffer one bit. Theyre all as bad as each other for one reason or another, so ultimately theres not much difference between relying on them as backup as opposed to relying on the likes of Ramage, Huntington and Edgar. Sign two competent centrebacks and were sorted in that area. Either way, its time for Bramble to go, and having a mini-exodus in the defence shouldnt result in us handing him a new contract.

Taylor is a kid, 21 years old. Bramble is a moderately experienced defender by now, 25 years old, and has been here for something like 5 seasons. Thats nearly half a decade since being at the same age that Taylor is today.

One can be excused for making poor mistakes or rash decisions, whilst the other has run out of excuses.

It doesnt matter now whether Bramble goes on to become a class defender for someone else, hes shown hes not the right defender for us because he cant be relied on. A defender who neither wins nor loses you games on an individuall basis is better than a defender who does both.