The right man is now available Freddy, what do you do?

Guest Knightrider

on what basis are they two of the worst appointments ?

There have been dozens, maybe even a hundred or two s**** appointments.

OK, name them.

Well, all the dozens of clubs that have finished below us over the last decade, on a season by season basis, as we have performed so badly because we've been run so poorly by such a s*** board who are no better than the ones who sold our best players, spent years in the 2nd division, and considered 15th in the old first division to be success, and finished in the top 5 once in 40 years.

Too many to mention.

howard wilkinson and mick mcarthy pummel their way to the front of my mind.

The same Howard Wilkinson who won the league with Leeds? Aye, Roeder has a much better history in management than him. :lol: :idiot2:

yes the same,did you laugh and say what a shit appointment it was ? that is what we are talking about isn't it,shit appointments?

i'm aware of their records. You wasted your time typing all of that.

Roeder was on a bit of a loser at Watford, they were already going downwards, and he didn't get much support, some Watford fans reckon he was unlucky. I don't really care what West ham fans think, they are all tossers anyway.

Having appointed managers with track winning records who didn't deliver, what makes you think that managers with not so good records woudl repeat their previous experiences too ? ....... just a point you should think about. All I said is that Roeder had merit, he might have succeeded. Different cirumstances, different clubs, you can't tell. Its obvious now that he isn't going to do it, but he could have been the right man in the right job at the right time.

My earlier point about other clubs doing these things stands. They do. I know you didn't say it but you and others imply such things. I'm just putting the record straight on this one. Which I see you don't dispute. Unless you are going to suggest that everybody else always makes the right appointment, at the right time and/or because all these other clubs bar us have DOF's and CEO's or whatever.

How far will you go to defend Shepherd?

He appointed managers who had won things and it didn't work so he thought he'd appoint shite as that might work.

bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif

That really is one of the best laughs I've had in ages, thanks.

on the contrary, what is most laughable is people - like you - who think anything other than anti Shepherd/board comments is "defending them". I'm not defending anybody. I'm just looking at both sides of the coin, and trying to be balanced about it. Other clubs have made far worse appointments, and whats more you know it. Unless you are foolish enough to think that every club should appoint managers who are successful.  mackems.gif  I expect you will say next that when I say that only 4 clubs have qualified for europe more than us in the past decade, and we finished in the top 5 for 3 consecutive years for the first time in half a century to be "defending the board" ?

BTW, your comment isn't what I said at all....not that I expected people like you to misinterpret it or be daft enough not to understand

I personally think appointing any manager based on their CV is a recipe for disaster, especially at Newcastle where if you pardon my pun, it isn't so black and white. I look at skill sets first and if they are decent in the following areas they are more likely to succeed over someone who isn't but by hook or crook have somehow managed to win a few things like Souness.

Man management skills

Motivational skills

Hunger to succeed and a desire to learn/adapt

High standards - very important

Degree of understanding about the game and people

Got those? You'll develop a knack for the other things like tactics, winning trophies, if you work hard enough and get a bit luck on your side.

When looking for a new man I think all clubs need to assess what the club needs and then cross check these needs against a manager's skill set -and not CV.

KK had no CV at all to speak of as a manager but he had what we were looking for, no - needed: Passion, bond with fans, high standards, desire, hunger, commitment, motivational and man management skills.

The result was = success

The majority of the rest he picked up along the way, being intelligent and hard working with a desire to improve, learn and adapt, that was always gonna be the case.

Dalglish was always gonna fail, because he was the antithesis of KK and would have had to been in the job for 5 years just to change the culture of the club, but given the success we had under KK, a few poor seasons was not and nor should it have, been acceptable and it wasn't, which is why he got the boot. However the homework was poor and had we done a bit more, we#d never have appointed him, same with Gullit.

BTW both Dalglish and Gullit were not 1st choices so in many ways, their appointments were an admittence of failure - failure to get the right man in in the first place. Sometimes fate can work out better for you in such cases but this is very rare.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, Big Sam ticks most boxes so is therefore the right man.

I'm no fan of Allardyce but he pisses all over Roeder, I agree about going beyond the CV.

OK, name them.

Well, all the dozens of clubs that have finished below us over the last decade, on a season by season basis, as we have performed so badly because we've been run so poorly by such a s*** board who are no better than the ones who sold our best players, spent years in the 2nd division, and considered 15th in the old first division to be success, and finished in the top 5 once in 40 years.

Too many to mention.

The same Howard Wilkinson who won the league with Leeds? Aye, Roeder has a much better history in management than him. :lol: :idiot2:

yes the same,did you laugh and say what a s*** appointment it was ? that is what we are talking about isn't it,s*** appointments?

Did I laugh and say what a shit appointment who was and at what club?

i'm aware of their records. You wasted your time typing all of that.

Roeder was on a bit of a loser at Watford, they were already going downwards, and he didn't get much support, some Watford fans reckon he was unlucky. I don't really care what West ham fans think, they are all tossers anyway.

Having appointed managers with track winning records who didn't deliver, what makes you think that managers with not so good records woudl repeat their previous experiences too ? ....... just a point you should think about. All I said is that Roeder had merit, he might have succeeded. Different cirumstances, different clubs, you can't tell. Its obvious now that he isn't going to do it, but he could have been the right man in the right job at the right time.

My earlier point about other clubs doing these things stands. They do. I know you didn't say it but you and others imply such things. I'm just putting the record straight on this one. Which I see you don't dispute. Unless you are going to suggest that everybody else always makes the right appointment, at the right time and/or because all these other clubs bar us have DOF's and CEO's or whatever.

How far will you go to defend Shepherd?

He appointed managers who had won things and it didn't work so he thought he'd appoint s**** as that might work.

bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif

That really is one of the best laughs I've had in ages, thanks.

on the contrary, what is most laughable is people - like you - who think anything other than anti Shepherd/board comments is "defending them". I'm not defending anybody. I'm just looking at both sides of the coin, and trying to be balanced about it. Other clubs have made far worse appointments, and whats more you know it. Unless you are foolish enough to think that every club should appoint managers who are successful.  mackems.gif  I expect you will say next that when I say that only 4 clubs have qualified for europe more than us in the past decade, and we finished in the top 5 for 3 consecutive years for the first time in half a century to be "defending the board" ?

BTW, your comment isn't what I said at all....not that I expected people like you to misinterpret it or be daft enough not to understand

I don't claim to give a balanced view of Shepherd, that's not possible when his record of under-achievement is so one sided.  You don't give a balanced view as you see no wrong in him, you even excuse his last two appointments, it's laughable.

OK, name them.

Too many to mention.

yes the same,did you laugh and say what a s*** appointment it was ? that is what we are talking about isn't it,s*** appointments?

Did I laugh and say what a s*** appointment who was and at what club?

wilkinson going to sunderland

OK, name them.

Too many to mention.

Did I laugh and say what a s*** appointment who was and at what club?

wilkinson going to sunderland

I didn't laugh half as much as every fan of every other club around the country did when we appointed Souness.

I didn't laugh half as much as every fan of every other club around the country did when we appointed Souness.

Or Roeder.

I don't know how much stick people away from Newcastle are getting but I'm getting quite a bit.

Or Roeder.

I don't know how much stick people away from Newcastle are getting but I'm getting quite a bit.

come off it,the reaction to us getting souness wasn't good but was nothing compared to wilkinson and roeder only caused a ripple away from here cos of the badges thing.

Guest Knightrider

I was in Carlise on Monday Mick and got a bit of stick. Couldn't even respond because a) I know zilch about their club and me lauding it over them would just be sour grapes but more importantly b) they were spot on.

:(

Or Roeder.

come off it,the reaction to us getting souness wasn't good but was nothing compared to wilkinson and roeder only caused a ripple away from here cos of the badges thing.

Are you serious?!

We became a national laughing stock when we appointed Souness.

I can't comment on the reaction to Wilkinson getting the mackem job as I wasn't away from home at the time.  People are taking the piss out of the Roeder appointment and not mentioning badges.

Or Roeder.

I do. I live in Birmingham and people think we are a joke at the minute

Or Roeder.

I spend a bit of time near you and have had stick off Villa, Birmingham, Wolves, Derby, Man U and Liverpool fans, the worst though was a Sheff Wed fan taking the piss on Monday night in the pub.

I get alot of stick from my friends about Newcastle. They are Manutd fans most of them, i just say to them that i know more about their clubs than they do, then those fuckers dont smile as much

Or Roeder.

I spend a bit of time near you and have had stick off Villa, Birmingham, Wolves, Derby, Man U and Liverpool fans, the worst though was a Sheff Wed fan taking the piss on Monday night in the pub.

hope you give it back based on fact,o'neill set the league alight this year hasn't he,outspent us to get there aswell (i think).

thats why what isn't a story at other clubs is headlines for us...cos our fans lap it up and go over the top on everything.

i work with many boro fans and mackems,plus the usual glory hunting mix,all i need to do is stand back and look at thesituation as a neutral,then argue on the facts

From NUFC.com ...

Glenn under threat?

Bill Bradshaw, writing in the Express, Wednesday:

Sam Allardyce is being lined up to take on one of the biggest challenges in football - to turn Newcastle United from being nearly men to trophy winners. Allardyce quit as Bolton boss last week but his spell out of work could be brief with middle-men working on his options for a return this summer.

Newcastle, after a nondescript season punctuated by injury problems, are believed to be interested again in Allardyce.

One source close to the club told me: "The Geordies would love Big Sam's belligerent style and no-nonsense approach.

"That would go down well here so it's watch this space."

Newcastle were close to appointing him three years ago after Sir Bobby Robson's exit but the bid was aborted when it came clear Bolton had a £2million compensation clause protecting their boss.

Bolton chairman Phil Gartside suggested on Monday the had provisions to extend their protection, even after Allardyce's resignation.

"He's going to turn up somewhere," said Gartside.

"He has two and a half years left on his contract. We have a compromise agreement in place that covers his resignation from this job."

Allardyce has tried to engineer his release from that clause and, if he is successful, will be particularly attractive to Newcastle.

All interesting stuff and perhaps significant that no denial has forthcoming from SJP so far - unlike other recent tabloid tales that were swiftly rubbished.

hope you give it back based on fact,o'neill set the league alight this year hasn't he,outspent us to get there aswell (i think).

thats why what isn't a story at other clubs is headlines for us...cos our fans lap it up and go over the top on everything.

i work with many boro fans and mackems,plus the usual glory hunting mix,all i need to do is stand back and look at thesituation as a neutral,then argue on the facts

You can put you life on it that I go back at them although going back at the Sheff Wed fan wasn't easy.  I couldn't remember much until Sir Bobby came to mind, it did shut him up when I muttered the score.  :D

From NUFC.com ...

Glenn under threat?

Sam Allardyce is being lined up to take on one of the biggest challenges in football - to turn Newcastle United from being nearly men to trophy winners. Allardyce quit as Bolton boss last week but his spell out of work could be brief with middle-men working on his options for a return this summer.

Newcastle, after a nondescript season punctuated by injury problems, are believed to be interested again in Allardyce.

One source close to the club told me: "The Geordies would love Big Sam's belligerent style and no-nonsense approach.

Newcastle were close to appointing him three years ago after Sir Bobby Robson's exit but the bid was aborted when it came clear Bolton had a £2million compensation clause protecting their boss.

Bolton chairman Phil Gartside suggested on Monday the had provisions to extend their protection, even after Allardyce's resignation.

"He has two and a half years left on his contract. We have a compromise agreement in place that covers his resignation from this job."

Allardyce has tried to engineer his release from that clause and, if he is successful, will be particularly attractive to Newcastle.

All interesting stuff and perhaps significant that no denial has forthcoming from SJP so far - unlike other recent tabloid tales that were swiftly rubbished.

I really hope the highlighted bit is bullshit but I wouldn't be surprised.

From NUFC.com ...

Glenn under threat?

You can't accept a resignation and then try for compensation after the fact.

Or Roeder.

Got Swansea fans taking the piss down here.

Now that's embarrasing!

You can put you life on it that I go back at them although going back at the Sheff Wed fan wasn't easy.  I couldn't remember much until Sir Bobby came to mind, it did shut him up when I muttered the score.  :D

realistically only the likes of reading,bolton,portsmouth can take the piss,the top4 fans on most occasions are plastic(have to admit to having good mates who are horrid placka glory hunters and 1 or 2 who are "proper" scousers,mancsetc).how derby,sheff wed can take the piss is beyond me ie "yes we've had a shit year,but you'd still sell your kids to be where and what we are"

From NUFC.com ...

Glenn under threat?

Looks like they can!

The highlighted bit was pre-Souness.

Employment law is a jungle these days. If we offerred a mill out of court they are more than likely to take it. :)