.com on Allardyce

Dave

What could he do with a bigger budget? Who knows? He remains unproven at a big club with a large fan base with big (unrealistic? possibly) expectations.

It's because he's unproven at a big club that we have a chance of getting him. Obviously there's a risk involved, but what we most definitely need is someone capable of making a step up who's looking for the stage to prove it.

Some shameless self-promotion when he thought he would replace Sven as the next England manager was also unbecoming.

Allardyce's genuine incredulity at not being appointed suggested a frightening degree of self- absorption. That comes across as big -headedness at times.

Who cares? I've got no problem with arrogance as long as it's matched by performance.

And he definitely should have got the England job. The fact he wants it so much actually gives him a lot of bargaining power with Shepherd. If he doesn't get what he wants with us or another club, he can just sit back and wait for McLaren's final fuck up.

Allardyce has already turned us down after Sir Bobby Robson and his putter were given their cards. Why? He obviously thought that he was at a better club then - or needed to give his chairman a nudge to open his wallet.

Or he felt he should honour his contract, had work left unfinished, or didn't want to come to a club where one player had so much power.

Note that we have it on decent authority that Allardyce has twice turned down the chance to take over at SJP - the second one presumably being post-Souness.

Why not if he's the best candidate -- and if we recognize there may have been some validity in his earlier reasons for saying no? 

Allardyce has shown he's prepared to bring young players into the first team, but not necessarily local young players.

Without lapsing into John Hall Geordie Nation rhetoric - is this important to us or not?

Ish. I'd like to see local players who are good enough. Having a few players who always dreamed of playing for the club is important. It gives a team character. But they have to be good enough, and if they're not, I don't care where the others come from.

The signing of Gary Speed and his consequent Reebok renaissance is interesting, both in terms of what Allarydce achieved and also that one of the most respected professionals still playing was content under Sam's stewardship.

More than content, I reckon.

After all, his side has finished above us in the league for the last three seasons and we've hardly been reproducing Brazil '70 on a weekly basis.

'Zactamundo.

Our gut feeling remains the same though as it did the day Bobby departed - the whole thing needs overhauling from top to bottom.

Hell, that was my gut feeling when Bobby arrived... and he was supposed to be doing it, I remember. There was talk of "an audit" of the whole club, but I don't think it ever came to much.

Needed now more than ever. Insofar as I'd be happy with Allardyce getting the job, it's because I think he's capable of doing that.

Guest TheOrder

'After all, his side has finished above us in the league for the last three seasons and we've hardly been reproducing Brazil '70 on a weekly basis.'

We finished above them last season.

I hate to come across as being swayed by the 'most influential toon site on the web' but I don't see Allardyce making much of a difference.

I despair of the clamour for Shepherd to bring in another mediocre manager.  He's quickly taking over Doug Ellis as the worst chairman ever.  When Ellis took over for the second time at Villa, they had just won the league and European cup, he managed to get them relegated within 5 years and piled untold misery on the villa fans for the next 20 years.  Villa are a bigger, more succesful club than Newcastle but that one man held all the power and his lack of ambition/insight held them back for decades. 

As long as Shepherd is allowed to keep replacing dross with shite we'll be in stasis at best, decline in probability.  Who would have been happy with Allardyce after Robson?  Or even after Souness?  We're higher in the league than when Souness was sacked and have a close season to attract a potential new manager to place his stamp but all of a sudden the fans are happy with allardyce.  It's indicative of lowering standards instigated by the chairman and accepted by the fans.

Keep Roeder or replace him with Allardyce?  I see them as much the same thing (though the latter will cost us a lot more) because I don't believe either will take us up to even a modest ambition of chasing the top four under Shepherds ownership.

I totally see where .com are coming from.

but I don't see Allardyce making much of a difference.

Then you don't see what Roeder has, and will do, to us??? I envy you.

I understand perfectly that Roeder is shite.  But I think Allardyce is too.  I did when he was touted as a replacement for the previous 2 managers and I still do.

Most people agreed when we were looking for replacements the last couple of times, now everyone's getting desperate and want someone....anyone who might make a difference.  I just don't think it's worth the money to replace shite with shite when the real problem is the man making the appointments.

I understand perfectly that Roeder is shite.  But I think Allardyce is too.  I did when he was touted as a replacement for the previous 2 managers and I still do.

Most people agreed when we were looking for replacements the last couple of times, now everyone's getting desperate and want someone....anyone who might make a difference.  I just don't think it's worth the money to replace shite with shite when the real problem is the man making the appointments.

FFS os ONE of the problems.

But to say that Allardyce is as bad as the worst manager in the league, bearing in mind where he has gottne Bolton, is wrong.

Roeder is a fucking disgrace, and any current Premiership manager (pre-Fat Head Sam resigning) would inprove us.

But to say that Allardyce is as bad as the worst manager in the league, bearing in mind where he has gottne Bolton, is wrong.

Roeder is a fucking disgrace, and any current Premiership manager (pre-Fat Head Sam resigning) would inprove us.

Why's he being tagged the  worst manager in the league?  Charlton weren't relegation fodder under Curbishley and Wigan finished top half last year.  He's not much better like.

We always knew he wasn't the appointment anyone wanted, but I think if he'd had Owen playing 25 or more games it would be worth 10 or so points to us at least.

To what degree do you expect Allardyce to improve us.  Managing a small team to perform above their ability is a different matter to getting a big team to play to theirs.  He'd be coming without his backroom staff and at a huge cost.  I just don't think he's the gold pot at the end of the rainbow everyone else seems to. 

Why's he being tagged the  worst manager in the league?  Charlton weren't relegation fodder under Curbishley and Wigan finished top half last year.  He's not much better like.

We always knew he wasn't the appointment anyone wanted, but I think if he'd had Owen playing 25 or more games it would be worth 10 or so points to us at least.

To what degree do you expect Allardyce to improve us.  Managing a small team to perform above their ability is a different matter to getting a big team to play to theirs.  He'd be coming without his backroom staff and at a huge cost.  I just don't think he's the gold pot at the end of the rainbow everyone else seems to. 

We're not a big team. We're a poorish sqaud with a couple of good players.

Roeder is a fucking terrble manager, and if you can't see that, thats your blindness.

We're not a big team. We're a poorish sqaud with a couple of good players.

Roeder is a fucking terrble manager, and if you can't see that, thats your blindness.

Did you even read my response?

I agreed that Roeder isn't a good manager.  My point is that Allardyce will not take us forward.  He'll just take another season or two to maybe push for intertoto and give Shepherd the excuse of "I gave the fans what they wanted".

Every manager that gets a chance at a big club has to prove themselves at a smaller club first. I'd agree that there are no guarantees, but over-achieving with a smaller club is the best indicator that you can have.

One thing that may be counting against Allardyce is his image. He looks and sounds like a traditional English manager, but in fact he seems to be very receptive to new ideas and anything that can give him an advantage. He's like Ferguson in that respect - more clever and sophisticated than he looks.

Guest graemeh72

Every manager that gets a chance at a big club has to prove themselves at a smaller club first. I'd agree that there are no guarantees, but over-achieving with a smaller club is the best indicator that you can have.

One thing that may be counting against Allardyce is his image. He looks and sounds like a traditional English manager, but in fact he seems to be very receptive to new ideas and anything that can give him an advantage. He's like Ferguson in that respect - more clever and sophisticated than he looks.

I agree, Allardyce isn't as big a cunt as he looks.

However, I still don't think he's the best man for the job.

Appointing Allardyce because he's better than Roeder I don't think is the solution to this clubs ills.

Souness was the pits, lets get somebody else,

Glenn is the pits but slightly better lets get him, na he's crap...

lets get Allardyce just because he's slightly better.

It reminds me of my teenage years......I binned one girl because I could go out with a prettier one, then I chucked her because I had a slightly better shag lined up.....Lots of shags but not really going anywhere.

Newcastle United need a marriage, and thats finding the right long term partner - with the sum of the parts greater than the individual.

Is Allardyce the man to partner our club? I don't think so.

Where is that partner? I don't know that either ..

.. but what I do know is that if you do keep on going for a quick shag then eventually you get the clap.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/story_pages/sport/sport2.shtml

SAM ALLARDYCE will be jobless after an amazing blunder over his decision to quit Bolton.

Sport of the World understands he resigned at the Reebok after being ASSURED he would become the new Manchester City boss.

But Allardyce was MISLED into believing his pal and former City star Ray Ranson is guaranteed to take over the Premier club.

However, we can reveal former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra dramatically emerged as favourite to take charge at City after a rival £100 million offer was submitted.

He is unlikely to hire Allardyce, preferring to look for a top European coach in the mould of Arsene Wenger and Jose Mourinho.

Allardyce handed in his resignation to Bolton chairman Phil Gartside last week. Gartside was livid and immediately sent Allardyce home on gardening leave.

But in a bid to cover up the astonishing behind-the-scenes row, Big Sam joined his squad at Stamford Bridge for the clash with Chelsea.

Escape

Significantly, Bolton assistant boss Sammy Lee faced the press after the game, with no sight of Allardyce.

He said: "It's just speculation. Sam has been ill and didn't travel down with the team that came down this morning. That is ONE of the reasons for my appearance."

Allardyce has a £2m escape clause in his current Bolton deal, which his pal Ranson was prepared to pay.

But Allardyce was unaware of the interest from former Thai PM Shinawatra, thinking Ranson's £90m bid already had the support of influential City director Dennis Tueart.

However, the decision over who wins control of the club - and therefore Allardyce's future rests with City's major shareholders, John Wardle and David Makin.

Unfortunately for Big Sam, they remain unconvinced by Ranson's business plan and his ability to plough enough money into rebuilding the club, even if he takes over.

Feared

As revealed in the News of the World last week, they wrote to Ranson informing him of their concerns. But the former City player continued with his plan-and even convinced Allardyce he would replace current boss Stuart Pearce.

Wardle and Makin own nearly 30 per cent of the Premiership club.

The next largest shareholders are Mark Boler, who owns 18.75 per cent, BSkyB who own 9.9 per cent and Francis Lee who owns around seven per cent. Ironically, Tueart owns no shares.

Lee is believed to be ready to back Ranson and has told him he will sell his shareholding-and possibly join his takeover team-but with Wardle and Makin refusing to sell, that support is irrelevant.

Sport of the World has also learned that City have reported Ranson to the Takeover Panel citing concerns over comments made through the media.

They feared that his public approach could affect the share price-particularly as they had still not received a formal approach by 5pm on Friday-when the Stock Exchange closed. Shinawatra's bid will be discussed at an emergency City board meeting this weekend.

Appointing Allardyce because he's better than Roeder I don't think is the solution to this clubs ills.

It reminds me of my teenage years......I binned one girl because I could go out with a prettier one, then I chucked her because I had a slightly better shag lined up.....Lots of shags but not really going anywhere.

Newcastle United need a marriage, and thats finding the right long term partner - with the sum of the parts greater than the individual.

.. but what I do know is that if you do keep on going for a quick shag then eventually you get the clap.

;D  Interesting analogy there. I hope you've recovered from the clap.

The best long-term partner isn't necessarily the prettiest. And you make that commitment when you're mature enough to know when you're well off with the overall package, rather than focusing on what you haven't got and lusting after something (supposedly) better.

All the waffle aside what are your valid reasons for not wanting Allardyce?

1.  It'll cost us to sack Roeder.

2.  It'll cost us to bring in Allardyce.

3.  He won't bring his backroom staff with him (who must take a lot of credit for his success).

4.  His highest ever finish is 6th (It's like for like).

5.  It's what the fans want, which is what shepherd has always done...and has cost us dear.

Gotta go...

Guest Phil K

Villa are a bigger, more succesful club than Newcastle but that one man held all the power and his lack of ambition/insight held them back for decades.

BIGGER ?????????????????????????????

Name ONE 50,000 crowd since the FIFTIES other than semi-finals which hardly include Villa at Villa Park.

More successful - who **** isn't ?

Bigger ? If so, their fans are disappearing into some frigging time warp going by the gaps....

Guest graemeh72

Seen as you asked Ill give you my reasons for not wanting Allardyce, I will add that Allardyce does have his strengths and I see those but they dont outweigh what I feel are valid reasons for not wanting him.

Sams not that good, just look at how well Bolton have done since the turn of the year. 16 points from their last 16 games, thats relegation form and not the sign of a top manager who has built a side over the past 8 years.

DLLD WWLL LLWW DLDL (most recent on the left)

Im not impressed!

LDLD WLLD LWLW DWDL is Roeders by the way, 4 points better for what its worth

What he is clearly good at is bluffing the public into thinking that he's doing an amazing job (Boro 5-1 Bolton, Spurs 4-1 Bolton, Man U 4-1 Bolton).

For me Sam Allardyce is Graham Taylor reincarnate.

Sam organizes a side that's hard to break down, with ten players behind the ball. In addition, most of the attack is the kind of predictable wing plan seen in the Championship, and if not that it's all set pieces and long balls into the box.

Panorama - At the time he stated he was going to sue the BBC, actual lawsuits - None. What happened to Bolton's investigation, to be carried out in public? We dont know they havent released any details. As far as I know the Quest investigation is still taking place Id like to hear the results before backing Sam.

Hes turned us down twice (source The Times & nufc.com), suggests to me that he doesnt really really want the job. If England ever came calling hed be off like a shot thats the job he really wants.

In my eyes hes a Mackem, (aye aye Venison and Bracewell I know), he was in my 1980 Panini sticker Album as a Mackem and I know its immature of me, but Ill forever associate him with that lot.

On a more personal note I think that hes a belligerent, gobby, gum chewing self-publicist with media friendly nickname. Buying in foreign mercenaries, saying the words Pro Zone continually, and having the type of blue tooth headset currently sported by plumbers isnt the sign of a top manager to me.

The thought of Sam Allardyce as Newcastle manager makes me want to stave my own head in with my laptop.

Seen as you asked I?ll give you my reasons for not wanting Allardyce, I will add that Allardyce does have his strengths and I see those ? but they don?t outweigh what I feel are valid reasons for not wanting him.

Sam?s not that good, just look at how well Bolton have done since the turn of the year. 16 points from their last 16 games, that?s relegation form and not the sign of a top manager who has built a side over the past 8 years.

DLLD WWLL LLWW DLDL (most recent on the left)

I?m not impressed!

LDLD WLLD LWLW DWDL is Roeders by the way, 4 points better for what its worth

What he is clearly good at is bluffing the public into thinking that he's doing an amazing job (Boro 5-1 Bolton, Spurs 4-1 Bolton, Man U 4-1 Bolton).

For me Sam Allardyce is Graham Taylor reincarnate.

Sam organizes a side that's hard to break down, with ten players behind the ball. In addition, most of the attack is the kind of predictable wing plan seen in the Championship, and if not that it's all set pieces and long balls into the box.

Panorama - At the time he stated he was going to sue the BBC, actual lawsuits - None. What happened to Bolton's investigation, to be carried out in public? We don?t know they haven?t released any details. As far as I know the Quest investigation is still taking place ? I?d like to hear the results before backing Sam.

He?s turned us down twice (source The Times & nufc.com), suggests to me that he doesn?t really really want the job. If England ever came calling he?d be off like a shot ? that?s the job he really wants.

In my eyes he?s a Mackem, (aye aye Venison and Bracewell ? I know), he was in my 1980 Panini sticker Album as a Mackem and I know it?s immature of me, but I?ll forever associate him with ?that lot?.

On a more personal note I think that he?s a belligerent, gobby, gum chewing self-publicist with media friendly nickname. Buying in foreign mercenaries, saying the words Pro Zone continually, and having the type of blue tooth headset currently sported by plumbers isn?t the sign of a top manager to me.

The thought of Sam Allardyce as Newcastle manager makes me want to stave my own head in with my laptop.

Some good points well made, I take it onboard no worries. Isn't THIS Roeder side really worrying you?

Guest elbee909

The dig at the Hitzfeld campaign is a bit crass imo and it's not the first time they've alluded to this place in an article. Probably see this and the main site as a bit of a threat imo. And whatever you think about the rights and wrongs of the Hitzfeld campaign at least the people involved were trying to do something to benefit NUFC. I can't stand the miserable wankers at .com anymore. Typical of their negativity without insight or solutions.

They're just proud of being hard done by; yes, well done, you're neutral cynics, you guys at nufc.com.  A round of applause must surely be in order.

The Hitzfeld for the Toon site was offered money to advertise incidentally, but wasn't accepted.  Unlike nufc.com who advertise almost as much as they have editorial.  Kerching!  Wouldn't surprise me if they've been bought by the club on the sly.

Guest graemeh72

Some good points well made, I take it onboard no worries. Isn't THIS Roeder side really worrying you?

Thank You, Oh yes it worries me.... but I think the problem can be halved with a brand new back 4, irrespective of manager.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Allardyce is worried about results before football, that isn't what we need, imo at least. We need a revolution in the coaching system at our club so our players actually start playing football.

Guest LucaAltieri

Allardyce is worried about results before football, that isn't what we need, imo at least. We need a revolution in the coaching system at our club so our players actually start playing football.

Results come first. Backheeling and kick-ups come after. I don't think you'll find a manager in the Premiership who'd disagree with that. Even Wenger.

Guest TheOrder

Thank You, Oh yes it worries me.... but I think the problem can be halved with a brand new back 4, irrespective of manager.

That why we havent scored a goal for donkeys then?

Are this brand new back 4 going to score some goals for us too??

Guest Knightrider

Sorry but Allardyce is a step up in every way over Roeder and indeed quite a few managers we have been linked to in the past and would likely to be able to attract now. In short he fits the bill, is available and is regardless of what anyone thinks, a damn good manager who has proven himself at Bolton in a number of ways.