.com on Allardyce

Dave

Personally, I was never one of Allardyce's biggest fans but realistically, I think he is the best that we can hope to attract at this moment in time.....

If someone else has a viable alternative I would love to hear it..... and not who they want or think is a better manager, but who we really have a chance of attracting in the next 4 weeks...

In my eyes there is only Allardyce and whilst be may not get us into the Champions League, he wont get us relegated which I think most of us agree is going to happen under Roeder if he is somehow still here come August.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Just listened to Roeder on bbc sport page and he sounds a defeated man. He sounds like someone on a job interview ' i am hard working', 'i hope to be given the opportunity next season'. I have been on a few interviews and these are the types of things you say when you have either 1) nothing better to say, or, 2) you know you have fukd things up so you start ti mumble.

Roeder is definatetly a dead man walking. As i have said in previous posts, because he only had a 2 year contract (1 year left) he would have to have his contract renewed at the end of the 1st season, else the player for all intents and purposes know they are playing for a manager that wont be there at the start of the following season. FS has seen what happens to the players when they have nothing to play for (last 4 games) and wouldnt dare gamble with our future come next season as he knows we wil be the new West Ham.

Roeder has done his best, but i for one knew from day one his best wouldnt be good enough without the shearer factor, as proven with his previous clubs. I mean any half decent manager would at some point have accomplished something of note as a manager. Roeder has never achieved any thing as a full time manager which means not only is he shite, but also he is very very unlucky as most managers have fluked something of note on their CV.

FS leaving is the solution to our problems but realists should note that this will not be forthcoming without a substantial backer willing to mount a hostile takeover.  Roeder out is 100% needed, however i see us having the same conversation 12 months down the line regardless of the manager!

Big Sam 4 NUFC  :thup:

Guest Christian Hayne

i would take success at this moment in time compared to how we played football. however i believe bringing in Big Sam with the right amount of backing in the transfer window he would be able to steady the ship and get us in the top half again in his first season and as he settles in the managers position he will play good football too.

the main thing is whatever manager we have in charge they need at least two years to get it right.

Guest graemeh72

That why we havent scored a goal for donkeys then?

Are this brand new back 4 going to score some goals for us too??

You are both intelligent enough to know that teams attack more freely when they have confidence that the players behind them are capable of doing their own job.

Todays front 6 was Parker, Dyer, Butt, Milner, Owen and Martins...

stick 4 decent defenders behind that lot and that front 6 will score goals.... irrespective of the manager.

Guest sittingontheball

Even before yesterdays games, Bolton had conceded more goals than us in the Premiership this season.  That's in spite of the "hard to break down" etc. etc everyone goes on about.  They've only scored seven more goals than the toon as well.  Going into yesterday, their goal difference was minus three. The "our defence is utter crap" and "Bolton keep it tight" ones are crappy stereotypes for lazy journos. Don't get fooled by them.  "Big Sam"'s defence with the mighty Meite or whoever concedes more than ours with Bramble and Ramage. They concede more than us in spite of playing unattractive football into the bargain.

The big upside of course is that they have 15 more points than the Toon, which can only mean lots of 1-0 and 2-1 wins for them and the opposite for us. While it would be better if we could win five more of the Charlton type games we've lost this season, the club's target should be higher than that.  Everton with Moyes have showed how the same team can yo-yo from UEFA place to near relegation and back again, so I don't think you can say we've fallen that far behind anyone outside the top four.  Well, not so far behind that we need to panic appoint Allardyce on what will inevitably be a long contract for big money just because he's a little bit better than what we have. Allardyce + Kevin Nolan though, and you've got me interested....

Even before yesterdays games, Bolton had conceded more goals than us in the Premiership this season.  That's in spite of the "hard to break down" etc. etc everyone goes on about.  They've only scored seven more goals than the toon as well.  Going into yesterday, their goal difference was minus three. The "our defence is utter crap" and "Bolton keep it tight" ones are crappy stereotypes for lazy journos. Don't get fooled by them.  "Big Sam"'s defence with the mighty Meite or whoever concedes more than ours with Bramble and Ramage. They concede more than us in spite of playing unattractive football into the bargain.

The big upside of course is that they have 15 more points than the Toon, which can only mean lots of 1-0 and 2-1 wins for them and the opposite for us. While it would be better if we could win five more of the Charlton type games we've lost this season, the club's target should be higher than that.  Everton with Moyes have showed how the same team can yo-yo from UEFA place to near relegation and back again, so I don't think you can say we've fallen that far behind anyone outside the top four.  Well, not so far behind that we need to panic appoint Allardyce on what will inevitably be a long contract for big money just because he's a little bit better than what we have. Allardyce + Kevin Nolan though, and you've got me interested....

very, very good assessment of the situation there dude

i'm not with this "results at all costs" crap people are starting to talk about, however i'm for the appointment of allardyce for 2 reasons:

1 - i have no confidence that the fat man would be able to identify a better manager for the club, i think if he sacks roeder (which could be inevitable), the likelihood is he'll drop another bollock....in this instance if roeder goes i'd say allardyce was better the devil we know 'cause shepherd could easily decide that paul fucken jewell or chris coleman is the "fans choice"

2 - allardyce may well have the potential to change his style of play with better resources, but we'll never know that until someone gives him a shot...at the end of the day if all he does is come in and sort out fitness/scouting/physio/the wage bill/gets rid of the wankers etc... and plays bad looking football for a couple of years but gets us results, then we'll not have done too badly out of it

the alternative is to either hope shepherd appoints a genius (pot luck), sticks with roeder for a full season (likely relegation) or sacks roeder after 6 games or something and we're back where we started

TBH mate, I think this only shows the danger of using statistics. Not only have they got 15 points more than us (not a negligible amount) but they've spent their season fighting for a Champions League or UEFA cup place. We've been flirting with the relegation zone all season.

TBH mate, I think this only shows the danger of using statistics. Not only have they got 15 points more than us (not a negligible amount) but they've spent their season fighting for a Champions League or UEFA cup place. We've been flirting with the relegation zone all season.

Outside the top 4 everything is wide open.

Can't disagree with any of that:

Voting with

their feet 

Newcastle  0 Blackburn 2

"It's been a dreadful season."

The words of Glenn Roeder after his side extended their scoreless home sequence to 470 minutes and made it one win in their last ten games.

An early header from Kieron Dyer and a goal line clearance after the break to deny Michael Owen a comeback goal were rare highlights for another 50,000+ crowd who suffered in the sunshine.

Not for the first time this season, an average team found rich pickings in our defence - Rovers netting through Benni McCarthy and Jason Roberts, while Steve Harper did well to deny Morten Gamst Pedersen.

With no chance of relegation or European qualification, United had an opportunity to end their home season on a high note and provide some crumbs of comfort in the form of a victory and a half-way committed display.

That they singularly failed to do so shows the obvious contempt that the players hold their manager and their public.

Clad in their new kit and with many of the crowd having forked out to wear replicas, Newcastle churned out another mediocre, listless, disjointed runt of a performance.

Booed off at the interval, discontented home fans vented their displeasure at both Dyer and Bramble when the former Ipswich pair were subbed.

And with the ground starting to empty after United went two behind, a chorus of boos erupted at the final whistle and further abuse greeted the PA announcement asking fans to remain in their seats for a post-match parade.

Those who did remain in the stadium gave the team some grief, but with the likes of Given, Taylor and Krul leading the way, those boos gave way to some polite applause.

The lack of anger from the stands though is perhaps the most telling aspect of this miserable finale - resignation is the word.

It remains to be seen how many season holders remain in a rotten fettle when the renewals come through the door - certainly nobody will have been inspired to invest a brass farthing in the club after this display.

We wrap things up at basement side Watford next Sunday - Roeder returning to his former employers for what looks like being his 52nd and final league match in charge of Newcastle.

While he can point at ill-luck on the injury front, this defeat provided further damning evidence that Roeder is unable to organise these players and has failed to inspire loyalty among them. He's got nowhere to go.

I agree, Allardyce isn't as big a cunt as he looks.

However, I still don't think he's the best man for the job.

Appointing Allardyce because he's better than Roeder I don't think is the solution to this clubs ills.

Souness was the pits, lets get somebody else,

Glenn is the pits but slightly better lets get him, na he's crap...

lets get Allardyce just because he's slightly better.

It reminds me of my teenage years......I binned one girl because I could go out with a prettier one, then I chucked her because I had a slightly better shag lined up.....Lots of shags but not really going anywhere.

Newcastle United need a marriage, and thats finding the right long term partner - with the sum of the parts greater than the individual.

Is Allardyce the man to partner our club? I don't think so.

Where is that partner? I don't know that either ..

.. but what I do know is that if you do keep on going for a quick shag then eventually you get the clap.

All the waffle aside what are your valid reasons for not wanting Allardyce?

Seen as you asked I’ll give you my reasons for not wanting Allardyce, I will add that Allardyce does have his strengths and I see those – but they don’t outweigh what I feel are valid reasons for not wanting him.

Sam’s not that good, just look at how well Bolton have done since the turn of the year. 16 points from their last 16 games, that’s relegation form and not the sign of a top manager who has built a side over the past 8 years.

DLLD WWLL LLWW DLDL (most recent on the left)

I’m not impressed!

LDLD WLLD LWLW DWDL is Roeders by the way, 4 points better for what its worth

What he is clearly good at is bluffing the public into thinking that he's doing an amazing job (Boro 5-1 Bolton, Spurs 4-1 Bolton, Man U 4-1 Bolton).

For me Sam Allardyce is Graham Taylor reincarnate.

Sam organizes a side that's hard to break down, with ten players behind the ball. In addition, most of the attack is the kind of predictable wing plan seen in the Championship, and if not that it's all set pieces and long balls into the box.

Panorama - At the time he stated he was going to sue the BBC, actual lawsuits - None. What happened to Bolton's investigation, to be carried out in public? We don’t know they haven’t released any details. As far as I know the Quest investigation is still taking place – I’d like to hear the results before backing Sam.

He’s turned us down twice (source The Times & nufc.com), suggests to me that he doesn’t really really want the job. If England ever came calling he’d be off like a shot – that’s the job he really wants.

In my eyes he’s a Mackem, (aye aye Venison and Bracewell – I know), he was in my 1980 Panini sticker Album as a Mackem and I know it’s immature of me, but I’ll forever associate him with “that lot”.

On a more personal note I think that he’s a belligerent, gobby, gum chewing self-publicist with media friendly nickname. Buying in foreign mercenaries, saying the words Pro Zone continually, and having the type of blue tooth headset currently sported by plumbers isn’t the sign of a top manager to me.

The thought of Sam Allardyce as Newcastle manager makes me want to stave my own head in with my laptop.

Very good post.

More negative b*llocks on Allardyce from .con.

Form guide

Glenn Roeder's dreadful run of results ultimately proved his undoing and few would argue that he deserved to keep his job based on what was certainly relegation form over his final 16 games:

P16  W4  D5  L7  Pts 17

So why on earth would anyone even contemplate employing a manager whose form over the same 16 games reads:

P16  W4  D4  L8  Pts 16

So who is that manager? Could it be one of the relegated duo Aidy Boothroyd or Alan Pardew? No, it's Sam Allardyce - seemingly our next manager....

More negative b*llocks on Allardyce from .con.

Form guide

Glenn Roeder's dreadful run of results ultimately proved his undoing and few would argue that he deserved to keep his job based on what was certainly relegation form over his final 16 games:

P16  W4  D5  L7  Pts 17

So why on earth would anyone even contemplate employing a manager whose form over the same 16 games reads:

P16  W4  D4  L8  Pts 16

So who is that manager? Could it be one of the relegated duo Aidy Boothroyd or Alan Pardew? No, it's Sam Allardyce - seemingly our next manager....

You may be right that it's negative, but it's also true.

Guest WalkervilleMag

just e-mailed .com,  to list there alternatives if they are so dead against our new manager.  No reply.    13 points ahead of us, with probably only 1/4 of the resources we have available up here.

Guest graemeh72

Exactly. Judging a run of 16 games at the end of a season is what got us in this sh*t of a mess in the first place. I'd sooner judge Allardyce over 7 years, not 3 months for f*ck sake.

or 15 months as in the case of Glenn Roeder  ;D

Exactly. Judging a run of 16 games at the end of a season is what got us in this sh*t of a mess in the first place. I'd sooner judge Allardyce over 7 years, not 3 months for f*ck sake.

Give it up Grame. :lol:

They're judged over 38 games, not 16. Surely we should have learned that by appointing Roeder in the first place.

Fair point. I'm more worried by the fact they've conceded more goals this season than we have, and we're the ones with the supposedly shit defence.

I also think he's a bit of a bluffer.  He hasn't really done that much and as I've said in another thread, he's at a club with low expectations. It will be different at a club like Newcastle.

Guest graemeh72

Give it up Grame. :lol:

snigger  :cheesy:

They're judged over 38 games, not 16. Surely we should have learned that by appointing Roeder in the first place.

Fair point. I'm more worried by the fact they've conceded more goals this season than we have, and we're the ones with the supposedly shit defence.

I also think he's a bit of a bluffer.  He hasn't really done that much and as I've said in another thread, he's at a club with low expectations. It will be different at a club like Newcastle.

Worrying, also worrying is his recent form since the turn of the year, maybe he felt he was going to leave for a while, maybe there is more to come from the Panorama docu, but it looks nailed on now, and there really isn't any other option.

I'd like to see Houllier here, a continental version of SA and with success under his belt, but will old bug eyes leave cushy number like Lyon and would FS really see him as a potential target?

I think if we pushed the boat out we could get him as a lot of reports suggest he'd like a return to England however FS has a nice cheap target in view and i don't think it will change unless SA rejects.

Worrying, also worrying is his recent form since the turn of the year, maybe he felt he was going to leave for a while, maybe there is more to come from the Panorama docu, but it looks nailed on now, and there really isn't any other option.

I'd like to see Houllier here, a continental version of SA and with success under his belt, but will old bug eyes leave cushy number like Lyon and would FS really see him as a potential target?

I think if we pushed the boat out we could get him as a lot of reports suggest he'd like a return to England however FS has a nice cheap target in view and i don't think it will change unless SA rejects.

God forbid