S.G.E.

Parky

I don't know why people are turning their noses up at the diligent Swede. Is it cause he lacks charisma? 90% of the managers in the PL aren't great conversationalists or particularly good in front of the media. Sven has an impressive CV and has imo has an excellent knowledge of the European game if not the world game. He must have a contact list second to none around Euro and is well versed in all the fitness and psychology of the modern game although he prefers the quietly quietly approach - his will to win can't be doubted. For an internatioanlly travelled and widely successful manager to come from the football minnows of Sweden (back in the day) and end up managing and winning in Serie A.....He must have something about him.

What say you?

:)

Sven's Coaching CV

1976: Degerfors (Assistant Coach)

1977-78: Degerfors (Coach)

1979-82: IFK Gothenburg

Swedish Cup Winners 1979

Swedish League Champions 1981

Swedish League Champions 1982

UEFA Cup Winners 1982

1982-84: SL Benfica

Portuguese League Champions 1983

Portuguese League Champions 1984

Portuguese Cup Winners 1983

1984-87: AS Roma

Italian Cup Winners 1986

1987-89: AC Fiorentina

1989-92: SL Benfica

Portuguese League Champions 1991

1992-97: Sampdoria UC

Italian Cup Winners 1994

1997-2000: SS Lazio

Italian Cup Winners 1998

Italian Super Cup Winners 1998

UEFA Cup Winners' Cup Winners 1999

UEFA Super Cup Winners 1999

Italian League Champions 2000

Didnt he nearly Bankrupt Lazio in winning Seire A?

Actually, it was the chairman Sergio Cargnotti who bankrupted them, Sven just pointed to the players he wanted. But I'd rather have Allardyce at Newcastle than Sven, he loves publicity - just look at his decision to bring Walcott to Germany. In Sweden he's more known for his private affairs than the fact that he won the Uefa Cup with Gothenburg, which was a fantastic achievment.

I'd take Sven over Sam. England weren't a particularly attractive team to watch but it would beat watching Bolton  style football every week. He'd also be able to attract top name players and I imagine he'd have access to a more global network of contacts than Roeder or Graeme "Did he play for Rangers?" Souness ever managed to bring to the club

I don't know much about his time as a coach in leagues, but I always felt when he was coaching England that he wasn't willing or able to make the tough decisions. It showed with the teams that he chose to field. He always chose to play the big names, even when they didn't deserve to play.

Maybe I'm not being fair, but I think that whoever takes over for Roeder has to be able to make some big decisions about how this club is to turn around.

I don't know much about his time as a coach in leagues, but I always felt when he was coaching England that he wasn't willing or able to make the tough decisions. It showed with the teams that he chose to field. He always chose to play the big names, even when they didn't deserve to play.

Maybe I'm not being fair, but I think that whoever takes over for Roeder has to be able to make some big decisions about how this club is to turn around.

I think you read too much into the media driven mini-typhoon around Beckham.

But for a couple of bits of bad luck ie Owen's injury I think we could have made the final.

But for a couple of bits of bad luck ie Owen's injury I think we could have made the final.

Owen and Rooney injury, Rooney didnt look fully fit.

True.

Tbh there are only 2 better managers in the PL compared to Sven.

True.

Tbh there are only 2 better managers in the PL compared to Sven.

Nah imo the top 4 are better.

Tbf to Sven i do feel sorry for him a bit because the media built up England so much unless Sven won the the WC he was a failure and in both Euro 2004 and WC England have been knock out in Pen shoot outs

Hypothetical one for you here: if Wenger or Mourinho were to take on the England job and be as successful as Sven was, do you not think they'd get ruined by the press too? You know they would. To all intents and purposes, Sven was mooted as a potential and worthy successor to both Ranieri at Chelsea and SAF at Man Utd not so long ago...it's only last summer's "failure" at the World Cup, and the Faria Alam affair that did for him and his reputation...none of which has any bearing on his ability as a club manager.

Hypothetical one for you here: if Wenger or Mourinho were to take on the England job and be as successful as Sven was, do you not think they'd get ruined by the press too? You know they would. To all intents and purposes, Sven was mooted as a potential and worthy successor to both Ranieri at Chelsea and SAF at Man Utd not so long ago...it's only last summer's "failure" at the World Cup, and the Faria Alam affair that did for him and his reputation...none of which has any bearing on his ability as a club manager.

Spot on. :)

Guest WalkervilleMag

saw the odds on him being next manager  12/1 3rd favourite.  not bad.  though personaly, i think his wage demands will put Fat Fred off.

Guest Nappy Rash

Out of the two obvious candidates I know who I'd prefer.

Sven can spend money, attract the players and actually win stuff, unlike the Fat Mackem  :coolsmiley:

Sven has it all, there are few better club managers free and about, his intimate knowledge of the World and especially premiership wont do us any harm. Most people hate us as it is so having sven will only fit in with the current trend.

Dont think he has the passion to instill into our players though, cant see us being as up for the derby next year as we would be if Allardyce was in charge. Lets just hope Roeder isnt just being moved upstairs for Shearer to come in.

Out of the two obvious candidates I know who I'd prefer.

Sven can spend money, attract the players and actually win stuff, unlike the Fat Mackem  :coolsmiley:

Battle is joined.