Sams Coaching Staff - Suggestions/Guesses?

Minhosa

The guy thats just left Liverpools youth Academy (can't recall his name - is it heighway?) would be a welcome addition now that we now know Glenn won't be coming back/being demoted.

Not sure who Boltons equivalent is?

Thoughts?

Steve Heighway.

Dunno why you'd think him a welcome addition.

I'm delighted he finally got the boot out of Liverpool. Years to late like.

Purely on the basis your boys have been producing, coaching, mentoring or whatever you want to call it some good quality players over the years Rafa, thats all it was based on mate.

Guest gggg
Purely on the basis your boys have been producing, coaching, mentoring or whatever you want to call it some good quality players over the years Rafa

Like who? Last one to come through into the first team was Gerrard.

Heighway was there for about 20 years wasnt he? I doubt more than 10 players went into the Liverpool team.

Ideally we would want to get Speed, Mike Forde, Sbragia, Mark Taylor and maybe Phil Brown/Neil McDonald.

But we would be paying out half our summer budget to obtain them.

If we do sign Speed do you think he would still be on our books aswell as coaching?

i think mike forde will come with him, as well as speed and maybe that bloke from carlisle???

wouldnt be surprised to see sbragia here either.

one things for sure, whoever comes with him will be here because they are very good at their job, not because they are his pals

Who was his assistant before Sammy Lee? I think he's Hulls manager now (Not 100% sure).

Guest Rafa

Purely on the basis your boys have been producing, coaching, mentoring or whatever you want to call it some good quality players over the years Rafa, thats all it was based on mate.

Fact is, there should have been more. No one of note has been produced through that Academy for years.  Steve Heighway was too set in his ways, and there where good reasons both Houllier and Rafa where very unhappy with his work.  Heighway was living in a bygone era, and was so unwilling to budge to accomodate new ideas and new ways of working, that he's probably put that Academy back a good few years. Good riddance to him.

Gary McAllister is coming back to Liverpool for next season, partly as a link between the reserve squad and the Academy, so hopefully that will see us joining the 21st century on that side of things :parky:

i think mike forde will come with him, as well as speed and maybe that bloke from carlisle???

wouldnt be surprised to see sbragia here either.

one things for sure, whoever comes with him will be here because they are very good at their job, not because they are his pals

Who was his assistant before Sammy Lee? I think he's Hulls manager now (Not 100% sure).

phil brown, and yeah he is at hull

Purely on the basis your boys have been producing, coaching, mentoring or whatever you want to call it some good quality players over the years Rafa

Like who? Last one to come through into the first team was Gerrard.

Heighway was there for about 20 years wasnt he? I doubt more than 10 players went into the Liverpool team.

Off the top of my head.................

Owen

Gerrard

Carragher

Warnock

Ostemobor (sp?)

McManaman

Fowler

I'm sure there's loads more that I can't think of. The point is, I'm sure over the years they've either had more kids through to play at a good level or sold them for a decent fee.

This came up on a City forum not so long ago - Someone had the audicity to suggest Heighway should be brought to City. I thought it was a rediculous idea, did a bit of research and came to the conclusion that the only player Liverpool have brought through their academy in the last ten years who is still playing in the premiership is Stephen Warnock. I think thats a bit shit for a club with so much money and pulling power. Not sure why anyone would want him near their club.

Guest Rafa

there have been a few who have come through there and moved on in recent years, law of averages dicate that. But from the perspective of Liverpool fans, I guess we're looking at who actually comes through and makes it here. And the fact is, Steven Gerrard, 9 years ago, was the last one to establish himself in this squad.  Now, there can be no guarantee on such things, you can't put a number on how many should come through and become regular first teamers. But I don't think it's unreasonable to say that in recent years, the Academy hasn't really done it's job well enough. And much of that has to fall on the shoulders of the man who ran it.

Guest gggg
under his stewaRDship liverpool produced a batch of world class players, and his side just won the youth cup for the second time in a row, so he can't be all that bad.

A batch? I'd hardly call 5 in 20 years a batch.

And the point of an academy is to get players in the first team like Man Utd do every other year, I cant see any of that FA youth winning team making it.

Guest Rafa

under his stewaRDship liverpool produced a batch of world class players, and his side just won the youth cup for the second time in a row, so he can't be all that bad.

They could have had me in charge, and Fowler, Owen, Gerrard, McMannaman and Carragher would have made the grade.

Last year, the first time Liverpool did anything in the youth cup in years, and only the 2nd time they ever won it, Heighway's team was supplemented by reserve players signed by Benitez and Herrera, such as Antwi, Hobbs, Anderson and Roque.  This year, 2 of the players in the team where also supplied by the new scouting network in place. And tbh, it wasnt he highest quality youth cup ever.

Liverpool's actual U18 team where abysmal, and ended up low down in the league with only a few wins.

Heighway isn't all bad, that much is true, but he really isn't all that either.

Several reports suggesting we might be close to hiring both Mike Forde and Mark Taylor.

Great start if we can get these two this week.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2084998,00.html

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premiership/newcastle/article1821553.ece

Apparently 2 of his most important staff members back at Bolton.

Would be good for the club and the team if we can get them.

Manager: Sammy Lee

First Team Coach: Ricky Sbragia

First Team Coach: Jimmy Phillips

First Team Player/Coach: Gary Speed

Football Secretary: Simon Marland

Head of Sport Science and Medicine: Mark Taylor

Strength and Conditioning Coach: Mark Howard

Academy Director: Chris Sulley

Education & Welfare Officer: Fran Walsh

Them.

Published in the News & Star on 22/05/2007

By Amanda Little

SPECULATION was mounting today that Carlisle United boss Neil McDonald could be on his way to Newcastle United to become Sam Allardyce’s right-hand man.

McDonald has emerged as strong favourite to become the Toon’s No2 after another candidate, Phil Brown, signed a two-year deal to become permanent manager of Hull City.

Sources on Tyneside, both at the club and in the local media, were today pushing the United boss as a live candidate.

Allardyce, above is looking to build his own backroom team at St James’ Park following his arrival on Tyneside last week, and both McDonald and Brown were on his radar as the pair worked alongside him at Bolton.

Sources on Tyneside today talked up McDonald’s chances of returning to the club he starred for in the 1980s alongside Peter Beardsley, Kevin Keegan and Paul Gascoigne.

Any potential departure of McDonald would leave Carlisle United devastated after a successful campaign in which he led the Cumbrians to the brink of the play-offs.

McDonald was today due to meet Carlisle owner Fred Story in a routine meeting about player acquisition and team strengthening.

But the 41-year-old Geordie today refused to be drawn on his future, insisting: “It is nothing but speculation – and I won’t comment on speculation.”

McDonald’s reputation in the game would make him a prime target for Allardyce after two stints with Bolton as a player and as a coach and a spell coaching with Crystal Palace.

After Brown ruled himself out of a move to Newcastle, Allardyce is also set to lose Nigel Pearson, No2 last season to Glenn Roeder, as the former Carlisle manager is poised to link up with new Sheffield United manager Bryan Robson.

That leaves only Terry McDermott and rookie reserve-team coach Lee Clarke in the Newcastle dug-out.

Newcastle chief Freddie Shepherd has given Allardyce the go-ahead to choose his own backroom team, and it is understood an announcement could be made as early as Thursday.

A return to the opposite end of the A69 would obviously tempt McDonald as he has strong emotional ties with Newcastle after graduating through the youth ranks into the first team.