Sam Allardyce press conference - the gist of it

Guest Knightrider

Harper when he justs realises that he said he wants a few team mates out mackems.gif

;D hehe yeah bit silly....but i guess not....

So funny because he is right, but it's just one of the things you can't really say.

Why?

Don't get me wrong, we all agree and he's 100% right, but you don't slag your team mates off to the media.

Won't matter if they're gonna fuck off anyway.

Harper when he justs realises that he said he wants a few team mates out mackems.gif

;D hehe yeah bit silly....but i guess not....

So funny because he is right, but it's just one of the things you can't really say.

Why?

Don't get me wrong, we all agree and he's 100% right, but you don't slag your team mates off to the media.

Won't matter if they're gonna fuck off anyway.

Clean slate and all

Also includes recent Sky Sports News interview and thread started to save on skipping through tons of pages

Top 4 and trophies ultimate aim

UEFA Cup next season the aim (at least)

Will prioritize the following; club structure including - backroom staff, fitness, diet, nutrition, transfer policy, training set-up, results

Wants Owen and Martins to stay

No clauses in his contract/will leave for England

Winning a trophy as quickly as possible a must

Wants to sign players that are an improvement over what we have, but they must be the right players and he says he will try and get signings done as quickly as possible ready for the start of the season

Big challenge, he's very happy, confident of success.

There will be money to spend but he warns it isn't about spending money, but buying the right players. Cites signing good players as a priority over big name players or obvious players. Says there are lots of top quality players available in Europe and at home we'll look at.

Recognises how important short term is but insists he's all about foundations for sustainable succes.

Talked about the mackems next season, looking forward to that.

Everyone at the club from chairman down will have to work hard, wants to create a family spirit and for everyone to pull in the same direction which he says there will be no problems with.

Wants patience and says there will be sticky times ahead, but he will hope to show we are going in the right direction on the pitch to get this patience and will also communicate with fans about the direction.

Rubished the long ball thing, basically says he's all about winning football first and foremost.

Will go away for some reflection time with his wife now and come back, in his own words "all guns blazing"

Can't f****** wait  :thup:

It looks like he's just about covered everything with that, it's good to actually hear something coming out of the club that you can listen to and take it seriously, it's the first time I've done that since Bobby left.

Guest Knightrider

He didn't even reel out any Toon cliches, and when talking about the potential and size of the club basically kept a lid on it as if to say "yeah, it's a big club and has huge potential,  but it all means nowt if you aren't succeeding on the pitch", definetly played it down in that respect which was very pleasing because I think a lot of people at NUFC use this as an excuse to fall back on. "We failed again but we can be pleased about the size of SJP, how many fans we get in, the money we spend" and all that crap.

Just heard him on the radio say he feels we need 4 or 5 quality players brought in, plus replacements for any players who leave.

this may be totally off point or raised 100 times before but if we get some obsure signings and turn into a totally continental side with little to no english players in there would you be disappointment? I dont really mind as the league has been going this way for some time but i do feel a little proud that we do manage to field some english or uk players week in week out.

Just heard him on the radio say he feels we need 4 or 5 quality players brought in, plus replacements for any players who leave.

this may be totally off point or raised 100 times before but if we get some obsure signings and turn into a totally continental side with little to no english players in there would you be disappointment? I dont really mind as the league has been going this way for some time but i do feel a little proud that we do manage to field some english or uk players week in week out.

Couldn't care less, if he gets rid of Dyer Parker etc, and brings in some unknown people who perform and we turn decent then I couldn't give a fuck where they were from.

Wouldn't be disappointed if they improve the team. We've got some good british players at the club who will be here next season. I think Given, Taylor, Milner, Parker, Butt, Duff and Owen may well stay here. A couple of them haven't performed this season but i think Allardyce can get them playing again. At the end of the day its not the player in the shirt who is the important thing, its the badge. I'd actually we rather signed a few obscure cheap players who improve the team, than pay £8m for an overpriced british player who is no better or not as good in some cases.

Wouldn't be disappointed if they improve the team. We've got some good british players at the club who will be here next season. I think Given, Taylor, Milner, Parker, Butt, Duff and Owen may well stay here. A couple of them haven't performed this season but i think Allardyce can get them playing again. At the end of the day its not the player in the shirt who is the important thing, its the badge. I'd actually we rather signed a few obscure cheap players who improve the team, than pay £8m for an overpriced british player who is no better or not as good in some cases.

true which is why i was wary of of mentioning it here many debates have started over the ammount of foreign players in leagues but I do agree with your sentiment we want success and we want it how it happens with or without english players in the side

After watching the video and reading his comments, exactly what I wanted to hear, spot on. I'm impressed already, wasn't 100% sure about him coming hear but have to admit I'm looking forward to not just next year but the foreseeable future. Great stuff.

Sam came across really well there. That doesn't mean much in itself, but I don't think you can ask for a better start. Regarding the players interviews: I think the dressing room must've been absoutely awful. I can't remember a time when this number of senior and respected players has come out and basically said that a number of their team-mates must be shown the door for the sake of the club.

Sam came across really well there. That doesn't mean much in itself, but I don't think you can ask for a better start. Regarding the players interviews: I think the dressing room must've been absoutely awful. I can't remember a time when this number of senior and respected players has come out and basically said that a number of their team-mates must be shown the door for the sake of the club.

seen as I'm worried about us being able to afford a full restructure the comment from SA about a clean slate suits me better, would like to see him kick some arse and maybe be shown a little more respect, the players were all down following the uefa cup exit and following that alot of them started to play up, which I recon isn't on but at the heart of it we are hoping those who stay will become performers rather than hangers on.

seen as I'm worried about us being able to afford a full restructure the comment from SA about a clean slate suits me better, would like to see him kick some arse and maybe be shown a little more respect, the players were all down following the uefa cup exit and following that alot of them started to play up, which I recon isn't on but at the heart of it we are hoping those who stay will become performers rather than hangers on.

If were Sam, I'd get Nicky Butt, Given, etc. together and find out what the score is. Tell them, if necessary that everyone's going to get a fair chance, but also let them know that anyone found carrying on is out the door. That way, you don't alienate these players who've risked their necks coming out and criticising their colleagues, but you also give everyone a fair crack of the whip.

would it be so bad if everyone were NOT given a clean slate? 

i'm thinking something like SA saying to a waster, "you've got quite a reputation as a slacking prima donna who doesn't know how to be unselfish...care to disprove that?"  or "what's all this about you not getting on the team bus?  you'd best show me that's all in the past right, my son?" :knuppel2:

i'm thinking something like SA saying to a waster, "you've got quite a reputation as a slacking prima donna who doesn't know how to be unselfish...care to disprove that?"  or "what's all this about you not getting on the team bus?  you'd best show me that's all in the past right, my son?" :knuppel2:

or just "don't let the door hit your arse on the way out"

With the clean slate thing I am happier to see Luque remain at the club now that Sam is in charge, but I really hope that Bramble is not given another chance he has done nothing recently to suggest he deserves a new deal.

Sam mentions 4 or 5 quality players, if he is using these figures it must mean thats what he has told Freddy, and I like that he has said replacements for the ones who are sold.

As for losing our English/British identity in the short term I don't mind as long as he gets it right but eventually I would like to see us have that English/British core to our team, I think it brings massive benefits to a club, but at the moment we cannot afford to be choosy so if he finds a defensive rock that costs 500k for Dynamo Neverheardofitski I'd take that over and English lad!

By clean slate i think he will mean disciplinary problems over the past few weeks are in the past, rather than every player at the club is gonna stay here with a clean slate. He will know in his own mind who is good enough and who is not.

Guest Magic

I'm cautiously optimistic over Sam, this is Newcastle after all. I'm sure he'll get up a very good set up which is what we need. Also I liked his confidence. He wasn't claiming to be the messiah or anything, but when talking about dressing room problems 'that won't be a problem I'll sort it out and we'll move on', or his long ball game 'the top teams just needed an excuse for when we beat them so they blamed it on direct football'

Also I loved that when he was talking about the need for a manager to stick around for a while to get success the camera cut to Shepherd.

Anyway, he came across very well there; realistic, confident, forward-thinking regarding nutrition/technology etc. and not the kind of guy who's going to take any crap from people, yet without being a 'looking for a guy to pick on to assert his own authority' kind of guy. Here's hoping he does the business, it's nice to see an English manager being given a shot at one of the richer clubs.

Guest Guinness

Hopefully that'll be 4 defenders and a goal scoring midfielder.

Is it me or does he look foooookin happy to be here, says alot to me.  Class comments.

He has a point.  We ALL need to be patient though, there is some obvious problems that need sorting out and that won't happen over night.  We need to go with it and respect his decisions.

Heres to a buf season and total support from everyone.  The Souness and Roeder era need to be forgotten and quickly.

or just "don't let the door hit your arse on the way out"

heh heh  right!  but i'm kinda suggesting something in between your quote and the "clean slate" idea.  i'm for giving all the players a slate, i just think some should be cleaner than others...  :)